New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Worse Than the Disease IC

Tariq again takes a bead on the bear and squeezes the trigger.

Spoiler
    Show
    All-Out Attack (Determined), hits on 14, measly 4 damage
    Last edited by GnomesofZurich2; 2020-10-25 at 09:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

The revolver bullet grazes the night bear's flank.

Simone finds her courage as she once again whacks the beast with her staff.

(OOC: The monster takes 1 injury and then 4 injury.)

The bear, however, still wants a piece of Richard. It swipes its claw again, hoping to disembowel the man. It is a clumsy strike, and Richard’s shield meets it without much difficulty.
    Anachronism will never high-light the folly of my convictions!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Sean finally gets the rifle ready to fire. He keeps circling the fight to get in position two step behind the bear. To aim or not to aim? That is the question.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready the rifle.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Firbolg in the Playground

It was tiring work, fending off a bear with a small shield just after waking up, but Richard had more left in him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Keeping with the All-Out Defence (Double) so long as it keeps focusing on me.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Again, Tariq raises the revolver and looses a shot at the beast.

Spoiler
    Show
    All-Out Attack (Determined), hits with a 12, damage a more impressive 8

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

The revolver bullet hits the beast dead-on.

Simone furiously sweeps at the rabid bear’s sides with her quarterstaff. She connects, but the swing is weak.

(OOC: The monster takes 5 injury and then 2 injury.)

The bear screeches from the pain. Richard keeps its attention, though. The rabid bear snarls and claws at the defender. Much to the beast’s frustration, Rcihard simply blocks the attack with his shield.

The monster is noticeably reeling from its wounds now.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Seeing the bear suffering some wounds already, Sean decides not to aim for vitals, hoping that another bullet would be about enough. Standing behind the bear, he raises the rifle and shoots.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully, no active defense for the bear.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Worse Than the Disease

The rifle shot blasts the beast right through - it wasn't a killshot, but the extreme damage from the round knocks it out. Gasping for air in shallow huffs and Sean's blood still dripping from its jaws, the mutated bear collapses and closes its eyes, unable to stay in the fight.

Suddenly, the night is quiet.

(OOC: Combat over. The bear is KO'd. Maybe coupe-de-grace the monster before it gets back up?)

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Sean puts down the rifle, takes the spear and drives it through the beast's heart. Then he sits on the packed snow near the fire, takes a look at his wound and lies back, looking at the sky and contemplating the situation. "Medical skills or supplies, anyone?"

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Seeing the sorry state Sean is in, Tariq pulls out his bandages and gets to work trying to patch him up...but fails miserably.

Spoiler
    Show
    Tariq tries to treat Sean for shock, but the cold means he botches the job, instead costing Sean 2 additional HP. Kind of wish I'd saved my use of Luck...are we using Buying Success (B347)?
    Last edited by GnomesofZurich2; 2020-10-26 at 03:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich2 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tariq tries to treat Sean for shock, but the cold means he botches the job, instead costing Sean 2 additional HP. Kind of wish I'd saved my use of Luck...are we using Buying Success (B347)?
    (OOC: Sorry, no. But do you wanna retcon the attempt as assistance for Simone?)
    Last edited by Shoot Da Moon; 2020-10-26 at 04:22 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

Simons quickly shoves Tariq and fixes his mistakes, fixing Sean in the process.

(OOC: Sean recovers 5 HP.)

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

After the wound is bandaged and Sean recovers from the initial shock, he thinks he could feel well enough to continue moving as soon as the very next morning. Which would be a good thng. "Thank you, friends. I'll be all right in no time." Sean does not think he'll have any more sleep tonight, nor does he really need any, so he keeps watch instead and patches his damaged jacket. He then prepares the breakfast and is ready to pack the camp and move on.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

Worse Than the Disease

(OOC: mark off another 2 rations. You travel for another 15 miles this day.)

The group continues their journey through the wastes. For hours, all they see is trees, snow, empty farmhouses and covered bridges. The sun is a welcome sight after that horrid nighttime encounter.

Just as the afternoon starts and lunch is eaten, the group’s scout reports seeing 3 wild boars resting in a pasture they were about to cross. They discuss what to do...

15. - Top - End - #105
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq asks, "Should we try to catch one? Do we need the food? At the rate we're going, it could be a week until we reach the outpost. Some extra meat means we won't starve."

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

"A whole boar is probably more than we will be able to carry, but we will be able to take some of it, maybe most, and that's better than nothing. I wouldn't waste a bullet, though. Not because of it's greater trade value - the meat would worth more, but because of the opportunity costs of not having a bullet for the next rabid bear or what not. I'll try to take one with the crossbow, hopefully scaring the rest."

Sean leaves the backpack on the ground, loads the crossbow, then observes the boars for some time. After which he puts on the skis, takes a whistle out of a pocket and puts it in his mouth, takes the spear and the loaded crossbow and tries to sneak upon the boars to have a clear shot. He intends to put the spear down and shoot at the nearest boar if he can get close enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sean would propose the others to cover him from some distance in case these boars turn out to be agressive only if they are expected to be unaffected by the snow.

17. - Top - End - #107

Nodding in response to Sean's plan, Richard unslings the rifle and starts covering him - Sean might not want to waste the bullet, but Richard wanted to be ready in case he has no choice.

Spoiler
    Show

Richard's going to ready the rifle and start aiming at the boar Sean's going after, in case firing is necessary.

Does Richard still need to make a Stealth check, or is this far enough away?

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

Worse Than the Disease

Sean takes a lot of time to sneak up on the animals through the snow. The indifferent sun shines down hard on the scene, making him sweat just a bit more than he is comfortable.

(OOC: Sean's current range penalty is -5.)

The boars spot him just as Sean comes as close as he was willing to. The bolt fired by the hunter is not properly aimed, and goes wild...Even with the boars clumped together, the wild shot hits none of them.

In response, the boars start running away.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Sean lets the boars run away, then moves to where the bolt went and tries to locate it. After that, the's ready to continue on.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

Worse Than the Disease

The group sighs and moves on. They wisely tapper off their hike as the sun goes down, and start making camp for the night.

(OOC: mark off another ration, everyone. Roll Survival to set up camp for the night (choose benefits) and so on.)

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

Worse Than the Disease

The group of exiles finds a comfortable spot in an old barn to bunk down for the night.
    Sean fiddles with the noise-maker traps he tries to set up around the campsite for 2 hours. It does not seem to work out well.
    The night goes quietly, if coldly. Only the blowing wind in the blackness reaches the ears of the survivor on guard duty.

DAY 4

The group wakes up the next morning relatively refreshed, although still colder than they’d like. They have another long day of forward momentum in the snow ahead of them.

(OOC: No random encounter tonight.)

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Sean leads the group further north. He remains some short distance in front and keeps looking for any dangers and opportunities. The wound does hurt, but not much. Sean wonders if it will heal with this marching regime though.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do I roll to recover hp? A day has passed, but it's not a day of rest, so not sure.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Worse Than the Disease

Breakfast goes by without any hassle. The trip across the countryside is monotonous and barely worth mentioning, until...

(OOC: the group travels another 15 miles. Mark two more rations.)

A half buried boat is found on the side of what remains of a road. Perhaps it was being hauled by a car, and there was an accident?
    It is still midday, with more hiking ahead.

(OOC: Random encounter. Anyone checking in and/or around the wreck? Make a roll...)

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq will wander over and poke around the boat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Scrounging success by 4, Tariq doesn't have Search, not sure if this can substitute.
    Last edited by GnomesofZurich2; 2020-10-31 at 02:37 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Setting the sack down, Richard joins Tariq in investigating the wreck, the question of how it got there piquing his curiosity.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Sean stays guard while Tariq and Richard search the boat. After that, he takes a quick look into it to check if they have missed something of use.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Ogre in the Playground

Worse Than the Disease

Someone was using this ruined boat as a makeshift shelter. The tell-tale remains of a campfire lie cold in the shadow of the boat’s metal frame standing up. All around the site are the detritus of human works - food wrappers, bits of broken gear, rusted metals and faded cloth. A mountain of trash beneath the shadow of a ship.

(OOC: there is a lot of Junk here, $70 worth and weighing 700 lbs. in total. When you’re ready to move on, everyone mark off a ration and set up camp for the night by rolling Survival.)

28. - Top - End - #118
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Surveying the ramshackle campsite, Tariq observes, "Nothing here worth taking. Do you think we should take advantage of this same shelter, or might who ever was using it come back?"

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

"Nah, it's stil too early to camp. I'd rather spend the rest of the day walking." When there finally is time to camp, Sean chooses a good enough site and proceeds to set the camp as usual. He fumbles with the traps again, then curses and declares that the party'll have to live without them for yet another night.

Spoiler
    Show
    The boat was encountered at midday and I'd rather not delay our progress without a good reason.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Worse Than the Disease

The group’s camp is nice enough, but the woods and the snow are still creepy and dangerous at night. In-between their turns at standing guard, everyone just tries to get some sleep.

(OOC: No random encounter tonight.)

DAY 5

Next morning, they eat breakfast. And then set out again, traversing some more mountainous terrain than before. By the time they have eaten lunch, they are already tired of the rough ground.

The only break in the routine comes when their scout reports an overturned car on the side of a broken, lonesome road.

(OOC: Everyone eats 2 rations. Random encounter.)
    Last edited by Shoot Da Moon; 2020-11-02 at 11:23 AM.