New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Worse Than the Disease IC

Tariq gets through the fence and hurries over to Richard and Sean. Starting with whoever looks more badly injured, in his inexpert opinion, he'll attempt bandaging on both (1 minute each), and then use treating shock to further repair their injuries (20 minutes each).

(OOC: His efforts allow Sean to recover a total of 1 hp, and Richard 3 hp. Can I use an earned point to boost First Aid? I fear this sort of thing may be needed frequently.)

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich2 View Post
    (OOC: His efforts allow Sean to recover a total of 1 hp, and Richard 3 hp. Can I use an earned point to boost First Aid? I fear this sort of thing may be needed frequently.)

(OOC: Yup. Spend that point or points.)

Worse Than the Disease

With his comrades cared for, albeit still badly hurt, Tariq looks around the base behind the fence.

From the outside grounds, he can climb to the roof of the base via a ladder, enter the parking garage, or try one of the doors.

The door to the base's infirmary is locked. The door to the mess hall is unlocked. The door to the front checkpoint is locked. The door to a ground floor office is unlocked.

Tariq can drag both his injured fellows and the group's equipment inside the base without much trouble...but with 5 minutes of time...
    Anachronism will never high-light the folly of my convictions!

3. - Top - End - #183
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot Da Moon View Post
    With his comrades cared for, albeit still badly hurt, Tariq looks around the base behind the fence.

From the outside grounds, he can climb to the roof of the base via a ladder, enter the parking garage, or try one of the doors.

The door to the base's infirmary is locked. The door to the mess hall is unlocked. The door to the front checkpoint is locked. The door to a ground floor office is unlocked.

Tariq can drag both his injured fellows and the group's equipment inside the base without much trouble...but with 5 minutes of time...
    Although access to the infirmary is what they need, but now he just wants to get them inside. Tariq will drag both men into the ground floor office for now. Once he's got them settled there, he'll scout around a bit to try to confirm the base is abandoned. If it seems no one is within earshot, he then intends to get into the infirmary by whatever means necessary...which in his case, probably means explosives.

(OOC: I put 1 point into First Aid to raise it to 14.)

4. - Top - End - #184
    Firbolg in the Playground

Having avoided passing out for now, Richard still doesn't want to push himself so he accepts Tariq's help in moving them inside, and then just does what he can for now, keeping an eye on outside while Tariq scouts around.

(OOC: The fall put Richard to -3, so with the first aid he's at exactly 0, so still needing to Do Nothing to avoid having to make HT rolls - given my luck on the last few rolls, I'm not going to push it until there's trouble)

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Worse Than the Disease

All the exiles find the inside of the base to be much more comfortable than the outside - even without a heater, it is still refreshingly warm compared to the harsh wilds.
    Tariq quickly cottons onto why the office door was unlocked. Most of the place has been looted thoroughly, leaving behind trash, desk frames, and big heavy barricades on all the other doors (the ones leading further into the base). Someone probably left here in a hurry after taking whatever they could, months ago.

Tariq finds no sign of recent activity around the base (in the places he can access, at least).
    The infirmary door is a locked, metal door that seems like it was maintained, but still rusted here and there.

(OOC: Picking the lock has a base -2 penalty. The security door has DR 30 and 47 HP (no exposed hardware). See AtE2, page 33-34. Cross your fingers...)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

When he eventually regains consciousness, Sean finds himself aching all over. No bones seemed to be broken, which was a good thing. Barely holding himself together against passing over again, Sean proposes that nobody does anything noisy or irreversible for the next couple of days. And meanwhile, Tariq and Simone can map the base for further planning and inspect the comm dish and where its cable goes.

Spoiler
    Show
    0 hit points at the moment. Can we have a hand-drawn map or something?
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-11-22 at 11:28 AM.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Sean Pires

When he eventually regains consciousness, Sean finds himself aching all over. No bones seemed to be broken, which was a good thing. Barely holding himself together against passing over again, Sean proposes that nobody does anything noisy or irreversible for the next couple of days. And meanwhile, Tariq and Simone can map the base for further planning and inspect the comm dish and where its cable goes.

Spoiler
    Show
    0 hit points at the moment. Can we have a hand-drawn map or something?
    Well, if Sean wants us to avoid making noise (which blowing his way into the infirmary would certainly cause), Tariq is going to scout the base for anything with which he could make more explosives (and is contemplating seeing whether he could salvage anything from the mine field).

(OOC rolled against Scrounging on the dice roll thread, 11 against skill 13).

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Worse Than the Disease

Tariq scours the office where he secured his fellow exiles. The hour-long scraping turns up just 600 pounds of junk - mostly bits of metal.

He could try searching other areas of the base - but which ones? The garage? The mess hall? Some area accessed from the roof?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Worse Than the Disease

Tariq scours the office where he secured his fellow exiles. The hour-long scraping turns up just 600 pounds of junk - mostly bits of metal.

He could try searching other areas of the base - but which ones? The garage? The mess hall? Some area accessed from the roof?
    While the other two are recovering, Tariq is going to continue his search in the garage.

(OOC: 12 against skill 13)

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Worse Than the Disease

As Tariq opens the door to the parking garage, he is met by the disconcerting sight of three cymbal-banging monkey dolls facing the entrance. The toys quickly sense the motion, their eyes lighting up red, and then rapidly clanging their clappers together again and again in a nerve-wracking cacophony. Tariq only gets them to stop when he smashes them to the ground.

A broken down car is parked in the loading dock, requiring repairs before it can run again. A mess of mechanical bits clusters all over the surfaces of the garage.

Tariq picks through the dock and the desks for an hour. He puts in his best efforts, but the complete disorder tires him out before he can find anything useful.

(OOC: the garage is semi-looted, so a -3 penalty to scavenging. Tariq fails. You can try again, taking extra time, if you like.)

11. - Top - End - #191
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Worse Than the Disease

As Tariq opens the door to the parking garage, he is met by the disconcerting sight of three cymbal-banging monkey dolls facing the entrance. The toys quickly sense the motion, their eyes lighting up red, and then rapidly clanging their clappers together again and again in a nerve-wracking cacophony. Tariq only gets them to stop when he smashes them to the ground.

A broken down car is parked in the loading dock, requiring repairs before it can run again. A mess of mechanical bits clusters all over the surfaces of the garage.

Tariq picks through the dock and the desks for an hour. He puts in his best efforts, but the complete disorder tires him out before he can find anything useful.

(OOC: the garage is semi-looted, so a -3 penalty to scavenging. Tariq fails. You can try again, taking extra time, if you like.)
    Tariq spends longer trying to find something of value in the garage, but after a while gets frustrated and decides to move his efforts to the mess hall.

(OOC: 12 on his scrounging roll in the garage, failing again, but 10 on his scrounging roll in the mess hall).

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Worse Than the Disease

Another hour passes as Tariq tries to loot the garage, but does not manage to find anything.

When he opens the doors to the mess hall, he finds a haphazard collection of chairs and tables around a kitchen and an non-functioning fridge. More cymbal-banging monkey toys are here, too, but they’re already broken and missing batteries. This is a place where people were using after the old world, but not since a few months ago.

He gets to work scavenging the mess hall and manages to discover useful stuff this time, after an hour of work.
    He finally catches a break as he moves a tipped over chair aside and drags a ragged cloth off 7 sticks of dynamite and a 30’ length of fuse cord.
    Next to that and under a giant 900-pound pile of junk, is a footlocker containing a heroin pill, an empty plastic bottle, 7 rations, a multitool and a pair of wire cutters.

There are two different doors in the mess hall, not counting the ones he came in from. They lead further into the base, but are they safe?

(OOC: Good news, the mess hall has plenty of stuff in it. I believe the in-game time is approaching early afternoon? If Tariq wants to find a specific room within the base, he may need to roll Architecture. If he wants to find a specific item, he must roll Search.)

13. - Top - End - #193
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

After checking in with the others, Tariq tries to scope out the rest of the building and see where else he might be able to salvage some equipment.

(OOC: Architecture roll 11 vs skill 13.)

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Tariq discovers that there are a few different rooms he can get to from either the second floor roof or going in further from the first floor mess hall.

Two rooms just full of files and cabinets.
    A barracks for soldiers living here decades ago. The lockers that the inhabitants would use to store their equipment are all locked.
    A locked officer’s quarters.
    The furnace in the basement, next to a flooded corridor. It is currently off.
    The base’s generator, surrounded by various spilled chemicals and a weird liquid. It is turned off.
    A lot of places in the basement are filled with water.
    A very broken down radio room. A map of the region hanging on the wall is marked with weird military code and scientific jargon.
    A locked down workshop, all ways inside are closed off. A notice nearby a locked metal door discusses the workshop.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq discovers that there are a few different rooms he can get to from either the second floor roof or going in further from the first floor mess hall.

Two rooms just full of files and cabinets.
    A barracks for soldiers living here decades ago. The lockers that the inhabitants would use to store their equipment are all locked.
    A locked officer’s quarters.
    The furnace in the basement, next to a flooded corridor. It is currently off.
    The base’s generator, surrounded by various spilled chemicals and a weird liquid. It is turned off.
    A lot of places in the basement are filled with water.
    A very broken down radio room. A map of the region hanging on the wall is marked with weird military code and scientific jargon.
    A locked down workshop, all ways inside are closed off. A notice nearby a locked metal door discusses the workshop.
    Tariq would love to get into the soldiers' lockers, but without lock picking skill or a crowbar, that would be difficult. For now he will look in the radio room and examine the notice outside the workshop.

(OOC: Got 12 against skill 12 for Search, 14 against skill 13 for Scrounging.)

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Tariq picks through the gutted and disassembled radio equipment for an hour, but to no avail. He grumbles in frustration before reading the notice next to the locked down workshop.

It seems the writing was done by the previous occupants of the base. The note says the repairs for the radio room stuff are being put on hold until “the other troubles” are dealt with, the workshop contains the necessary stuff for it. In the meantime, the workshop is locked down - all four entrances are inaccessible. One door is mechanically locked with a key (where that key is, the note does not say). Another door is electronically locked, only the base’s computer can undo it. A corridor into the workshop has been buried under rubble due to a minor structural collapse (perhaps explosives could clear it?). The only other corridor into the workshop is under water (swimming in from outside is possible).

The notice also informs the reader to be careful around the spilled chemicals.
    Last edited by Shoot Da Moon; 2020-12-03 at 07:13 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq picks through the gutted and disassembled radio equipment for an hour, but to no avail. He grumbles in frustration before reading the notice next to the locked down workshop.

It seems the writing was done by the previous occupants of the base. The note says the repairs for the radio room stuff are being put on hold until “the other troubles” are dealt with, the workshop contains the necessary stuff for it. In the meantime, the workshop is locked down - all four entrances are inaccessible. One door is mechanically locked with a key (where that key is, the note does not say). Another door is electronically locked, only the base’s computer can undo it. A corridor into the workshop has been buried under rubble due to a minor structural collapse (perhaps explosives could clear it?). The only other corridor into the workshop is under water (swimming in from outside is possible).

The notice also informs the reader to be careful around the spilled chemicals.
    Tariq will examine the collapsed corridor, and try to figure out how much explosives would be needed to clear it. If it is more than he has, he is going to take a look at the mine field to see whether he can salvage some explosives from there.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

(OOC: It will take 4 sticks of dynamite to blow through the rubble and clear the way to the other side.)

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq will check in with Sean and Richard before embarking on his plan, and to check out how their respective recovery is going. "I think I can get into the workshop if I blow the rubble away. It'll be a bit noisy, but it doesn't seem like anyone has been here for a while. What do you think?"
    Last edited by GnomesofZurich2; 2020-12-06 at 01:12 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean Pires

Sean shakes his head. "Nah. Normal noise is one thing, explosives is quite another. We still don't know why previous inhabitants have left, but I would not announce our presence too much while we are not fit to leave in a hurry. And even when we are fit, I would think twice. Check out the rooms where you have easy access, then let us camp."

Spoiler
    Show
    I propose Tariq checks out two rooms full of files and cabinets (are these on the first or the second floor?) and the furnace in the basement (not trying to start it yet). If tariq gets lots of paper, we can read it while we camp. Also, it would be interesting to estimate the temperature of the water and whether it is going to freeze anywhere anytime soon (e.g. during our stay).

How many man-days to manually clear the corridor blocked by the rubble (upd: not all-clear sort of clear, more like a crawl-way under the ceiling or such)?
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-12-06 at 01:32 PM.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I propose Tariq checks out two rooms full of files and cabinets (are these on the first or the second floor?) and the furnace in the basement (not trying to start it yet). If tariq gets lots of paper, we can read it while we camp. Also, it would be interesting to estimate the temperature of the water and whether it is going to freeze anywhere anytime soon (e.g. during our stay).

How many man-days to manually clear the corridor blocked by the rubble (upd: not all-clear sort of clear, more like a crawl-way under the ceiling or such)?
    (OOC: the file rooms are on the ground floor. The water is very cold and will probably freeze at night, melt during the day. Clearing the rubble by shovel would take 12 hours.)

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq leaves Richard and Sean to go check the rooms full of filing cabinets, grumbling to himself, "I totally could blow that corridor, and it wouldn't be that loud...I'm not going to be the one shoveling that out!"

(OOC: Search in room 1 succeeded by 7, Scrounging by 0; Search in 1 succeeded by 6, Scrounging by 1)

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

The file rooms are much less gutted than the rooms Tariq previously turned upside-down. They probably contain more bounty...but said treasures are likely worth less to the wandering exile...

Two hours later, Tariq has discovered stuff in the filing cabinets and the desk drawers of the rooms.
    In the first room, he finds a 20-high stack of canned food alongside a small stash of booze and opioid pills.
    In the second room, he finds 4 rifle bullets lying on the ground.
    Not the best haul he's ever had, or as good as he was expecting, but still very useful.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The file rooms are much less gutted than the rooms Tariq previously turned upside-down. They probably contain more bounty...but said treasures are likely worth less to the wandering exile...

Two hours later, Tariq has discovered stuff in the filing cabinets and the desk drawers of the rooms.
    In the first room, he finds a 20-high stack of canned food alongside a small stash of booze and opioid pills.
    In the second room, he finds 4 rifle bullets lying on the ground.
    Not the best haul he's ever had, or as good as he was expecting, but still very useful.
    Pocketing the rifle bullets, he brings the canned food, booze and opioid pills back to the group. How late in the day is it? Is there light enough to explore any other rooms?

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich2 View Post
    How late in the day is it? Is there light enough to explore any other rooms?
    It is now the late afternoon. The sun is just about to go down. If you had a light source, or got the base lights working again, you could still walk around the base after dark.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It is now the late afternoon. The sun is just about to go down. If you had a light source, or got the base lights working again, you could still walk around the base after dark.
    Well, since Richard and Sean will need several days to heal, I guess Tariq isn't in a particular rush. He'll go bunk down with his companions and resume his searching at dawn.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

Tariq and his fellow exiles eat dinner and go to sleep in the abandoned base.

They manage to shelter from the cold and whatever terrors lurk in the wild night. The injured men sleep fitfully as their wounds still ache.

(OOC: Every day of rest, everyone eats 3 rations, injured PCs may roll HT each day of rest, and recover 1 HP on a success. Mark off one ration for everyone for dinner.)

28. - Top - End - #208
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

In the morning, Tariq will start by checking out the furnace room in the basement.

(OOC: failed Search, succeeded Scrounging by 3)

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

The furnace room is a rusted but relatively well-maintained place, full of mechanical bric-a-brac surrounding the heating machines and its labyrinth of pipes like cultists worshipping the statue of their saint. The previous occupant of this base did their best to keep the heat on, but the furnace now requires power and fuel before it will defrost the base.

Tariq checks the place over for a hour, hoping to find something that will make it all easier. He eventually finds two crowbars thoughtlessly discarded on the floor besides a few spare nuts and bolts. The crowbars look less than fresh, but are more than sturdy enough.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The furnace room is a rusted but relatively well-maintained place, full of mechanical bric-a-brac surrounding the heating machines and its labyrinth of pipes like cultists worshipping the statue of their saint. The previous occupant of this base did their best to keep the heat on, but the furnace now requires power and fuel before it will defrost the base.

Tariq checks the place over for a hour, hoping to find something that will make it all easier. He eventually finds two crowbars thoughtlessly discarded on the floor besides a few spare nuts and bolts. The crowbars look less than fresh, but are more than sturdy enough.
    Excited by his find, Tariq grabs the crowbars to see if they could be used to pry open the lockers in the locker-room.