New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Worse Than the Disease OOC

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Supposing we can have two of these things/sets...
    1. Ballistic Helmet + Tinted Visor, TL8 from HT70
    2. With an integrated Tiny Radio, TL8 from HT38 featuring free Basic Encryption HT211 and operating at frequencies compatible with our big thing
    3. With an integrated Tactical Headset, TL8 from HT39

Can we:
    1. Cram it into 5.4 pounds and/or $10400 as per Combination Gadgets HT10 (I am not sure a hemlet would be a "gadget" but it is definitely a "housing")?
    2. Use it with night-vision goggles with visor either opened or closed?
    Sounds good...
    1) A combination gadget would be available, but that would add time needed to fill the order - the guys in Gunmetal will have to put it all together.
    2) NVGs will need visor up.

1. Would small mobile camps count? I mean like the roaming ones Stone has controlled over the radio. We probably would be unable to hit all of them (they'll run away), but we plan to hit at least one.
    2. Could food / gasoline be simply used (1:1 or otherwise) for buying high-tech equipment when transacted in batches over a certain amount or is it more tricky than that?
    1) Taking out mobile camps could be worth your while. One or two TL 8 items, at least.
    2) Yeah, it's worth $2 per ration and $6 per gallon of gasoline, counted against the worth of what you want to buy. Simple stuff.
    Anachronism will never high-light the folly of my convictions!

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot Da Moon View Post
    1) A combination gadget would be available, but that would add time needed to fill the order - the guys in Gunmetal will have to put it all together.
    Oh, custom-made. Neat. We'll wait and we'll pay up front. I rather thought I would just order something that might be popular enough in the Old World. One more combination item is IR Tactical Light / Flashlight with built-in IR Laser. It is a combination of:
    1. Large IR Tactical Light
    2. Shoulder Arm IR Targeting Laser

By HT157 special ruling these can be combined by adding the cost and will just share the weight, which would be 0.3 pounds for the whole thing (+0.4 for the batteries). It would serve:
    1. 2 hours x 100 yards as IR Tactical Light OR
    2. 20 hours x 10 yards as IR Flashlight OR
    3. 100 hours x 750 yards as IR Targeting Laser

The Flashlight mode is just power setting for those IR LEDs, so paying the cost, but no extra weight. Expecting it to be a near-enough IR for Sean to see, will have it checked with any other IR gear before placing the order.

Sean's plan is to chat over the radio, do some clarifications, negotiations and accounting, then take Bart and drive to Gunmetal to deposit the goods and place the order. He will be back by the evening and propose to relocate to Waffle House right away so that Richard can start questioning the mutants tomorrow morning. We sure have some topics to discuss. If no objections, I'll write this IC, hopefully some time today.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Let's say 20+20 for the rifles and 10+10 for handguns? Speaking about the later, saboted pistol-type rounds seem to be sort of an actual thing, so maybe Gunmetal has those in APDS variety and not experimental? UPD: Ah, damn, HT says "not in pistol calibers", but it specifically says about "availability", not about "possibility". Can Tariq make some experimental rounds given the cores?

Was thinking more of a Glock 22 to be rebuild from our broken Glock 17. But that can go to Tariq, so nothing is wasted. I'll see if we can cram it all in.

Can Tariq rebuild a broken Glock 17 into a functional Glock 22? If so, there's your pistol and Richard will get a new one. Tatiq will get a plate 100%. The question is whether he wants more than that. The vest + the plate will give DR 37 to the front torso only. That's something Sean will have for himself. Adding more weight could give you better groin and limb armor, but "better" in a sense that it would stop some 3d+, not quite stop rifle bullets.
    Regarding the Glock, I imagine he can repair and upgrade it, I need to take a closer look at the numbers. The assault vest + plate for the front torso should be good, I think both ballistic leggings and a ballistic helmet would also be beneficial (although really if you get shot in the head with a rifle, even that doesn't help all that much). I'm lugging a 15 lb. grenade launcher, so mobility is already going to be comprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot about the many Glock variants - I just skimmed the weapon tables pdf and saw the USP as the only .45 pistol with the stats you mentioned, forgetting that High-Tech is the book where at least half of the gun options are the variants listed in the text.

For reference, Gnome, the main difference between our current vests and the proposed assault vests are 6 more pounds of weight in exchange for the armour (same amount of protection as the concealable) extending to the groin, and ballistic leggings are 12/5F leg DR weighing 8 pounds. Switching vests is mainly worth it if you're otherwise not going to have groin DR (like Richard, who's switching out leg/groin armour for leg armour) and the leggings are just a matter of what works for you in terms of the encumbrance/DR balance.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich2 View Post
    Regarding the Glock, I imagine he can repair and upgrade it, I need to take a closer look at the numbers. The assault vest + plate for the front torso should be good, I think both ballistic leggings and a ballistic helmet would also be beneficial (although really if you get shot in the head with a rifle, even that doesn't help all that much). I'm lugging a 15 lb. grenade launcher, so mobility is already going to be comprised.
    I'm not sure how effective he will be at repairing the Glock, in retrospect; Tariq has One-Task Wonder (Armoury defaults to IQ when rigging munitions). When he gets another CP I can upgrade that to Armoury (Small Arms), but until then I'll be repairing at default, so might be better off inventing a new gun using the broken Glock for parts.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Ettin in the Playground

6 hours of work later, Richard has made 60 match-grade bullets, which should make the killing to come easier.
    I think that's it for today. Sean's proposal for tomorrow would be to make remaining 40 bullets and try getting Stone to cooperate... like draw a map of north-western facilities maybe, if he would be so kind. Keeping him separate from the rest from that moment on, just in case.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ogre in the Playground

Sean, are you doing anything before we pass time to the next day?

7. - Top - End - #997
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean, are you doing anything before we pass time to the next day?
    Not really. And likely not the next day either. Sean does not have much social nor technical competences and, given the location, does not want to go outside and hunt. He will patricipate in all Richard's interrogations, but otherwise does not plan to do much unless we have any news from any party (Snowbunnies, Chalmers, Gunmetal men, Funny Platoon / Radar Base radio operations, Mutants, etc.).

UPD: In fact, given that we have a pickup, driving somewhere to hunt is certainly possible, so Sean does just that. Sorry to have me delay everything and Gnomes will probably kill me...
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-01-25 at 07:15 AM.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Can we move on to Day 63, then?

9. - Top - End - #999
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, we're going to 63, roll if you have not already.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh, if we're doing next day rolls, Richard will make the last 40 of that cartridge shipment into handloads. Past that, he's pretty much done for work until Tariq heals up, I think.
    Sean's proposal for tomorrow would be to make remaining 40 bullets and try getting Stone to cooperate... like draw a map of north-western facilities maybe, if he would be so kind. Keeping him separate from the rest from that moment on, just in case.
    You could do that. In fact, I think you should.

...we probably have a few loose expended cartridges from the last battle...
    I'm writing 80 rifle cartridge casings collected on the site, that should be about right.
    Haven't done the actual math, but that was intended to include both Richard's and Sean's and is included in our total of 200. Also, the components was bought for just that amount, so nope, and doing the actual math is probably not worth the trouble anyway.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Firbolg in the Playground

You could do that. In fact, I think you should.
    Ah yeah, forgot about that.

Haven't done the actual math, but that was intended to include both Richard's and Sean's and is included in our total of 200. Also, the components was bought for just that amount, so nope, and doing the actual math is probably not worth the trouble anyway.
    Gotcha, so that's all our bullet needs handled in the four hours then.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Can't catch a break here. Tariq's recovery roll works, physician's fails, now at 5 hp for day 63.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Firbolg in the Playground

Richard's pressure bounces off Stone even after more than a hour.
    I suppose I'll do the same thing as the Intelligence Analysis rolls and roll again tomorrow (and so on if that fails/more questions come to mind later), yes?

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ettin in the Playground

The folks at Gunmetal are wary of making a deal of "store credit" or whatever, but they certainly accept the dead animals as payment - worth $2 per pound of edible meat as rations.

The people of Gunmetal mostly like the idea of salvage from The Gutter - particularly quality metal for their workshops and factories, and Old World electronics for study. That would be worth "credit".

They add the trauma plate and radio detonator to the order in exchange for the food.
    Here's the updated proposal. The credit deal was to be proposed to Snowbunnies (read carefully - Gunmetal was just mentioned at that point), but I would like you to keep Gunmetal's interest in the goods other than food and fuel, this might be handy for Sean to know. Also, the whole credit thing should not be too scary as Sean insists giving the stuff back is an acceptable option if we fail to agree on any other way of repayment. Losing (some of) it in combat against a common enemy would also be good, as normal for lend-lease.

(OC: do you need any help counting the miles?)
    Yes, I don't have any of those distances recorded where I can easily see them, so give me three numbers and I'll do the rest.
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-01-27 at 12:35 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Ogre in the Playground

I suppose I'll do the same thing as the Intelligence Analysis rolls and roll again tomorrow (and so on if that fails/more questions come to mind later), yes?
    A roll of Interrogation takes a base time of 1 hour. You took extra time, but you can roll again this same day.

Yes, I don't have any of those distances recorded where I can easily see them, so give me three numbers and I'll do the rest.
    The mileage are 25 miles (Waffle House to Ski Resort), 100 miles (Ski Resort to Gunmetal one trip), and 120 miles (Gunmetal to Waffle House one trip).

The Snowbunnies are not accepting of the deal - things are too uncertain in their end to arrange a line of credit.
    Last edited by Shoot Da Moon; 2022-01-28 at 03:13 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ettin in the Playground

100 miles (Ski Resort to Gunmetal one trip), and 120 miles (Gunmetal to Waffle House one trip).
    I certainly remember them being closer by. Here's what some digging gives me...
    Gunmetal is 30 miles north from the ski resort.
    This leaves two questions:
    1. Which distance is correct?
    2. What distance it is Gunmetal to Waffle House (if they are close by)?
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-01-28 at 03:49 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ogre in the Playground

This leaves two questions:
    1. Which distance is correct?
    2. What distance it is Gunmetal to Waffle House (if they are close by)?
    Whoops, my mistake.
    1) the one you quoted is correct. 30 miles.
    2) 45 miles from WH to GM, I guess. That's better?

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Ettin in the Playground

1) the one you quoted is correct. 30 miles.
    2) 45 miles from WH to GM, I guess. That's better?
    Yes, much better. It would be 400 miles total at speeds up to 100 mph, so totally doable in one day even including all overheads and speeds less than maximum. Sean will be back to base by the dark.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ettin in the Playground

OC: going to the next day?
    Yeah, I think today is most thoroughly finished.

OC: everyone eats their meals for the day.
    Aaand... done.
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-01-29 at 10:48 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Ettin in the Playground

The exiles all wake up at the remains of the slaver camp...
    I think we should be at the Waffle House main base, if only because the slaver camp is of too little interest to anyone to remain equally well defended. So, it would be where we dumped all the prisoners, etc. We will post our own guard every night, but that would be not the only person guarding, so should be safer.

OC: if you guy are still waiting on a delivery of stuff you've bought, it arrives today.
    The things from Gunmetal? Great! Sean will proceed to sort them. What about the stuff we sent to the Radar Base? Can they confirm it has arrived?

I am at a loss about what else Sean can do while Tariq is recovering. Will probably plan the interrogations. Sean has a number of questions about the north-western facilities. Stone has had no reason to have this information on paper, but if he was there, he could say quite a lot...

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Rolled a critical failure for Tariq and a failure for the physician, use Luck to re-roll the critical failure twice getting a failure and a success. He's now up to 6 hp. With a 83.8% and 74.1% chance of success per day, on average he should be recovering about 1.5 hp per day, but over the last four days it's been one per day, it's brutal.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Ogre in the Playground

The things from Gunmetal? Great! Sean will proceed to sort them. What about the stuff we sent to the Radar Base? Can they confirm it has arrived?
    Sure, it arrived.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Ettin in the Playground

Stone won't give up any information without some hardcore focused questioning, taking notable time.

(OC: Sean, roll Interrogation skill against Stone's Will 13. The base time for each roll is 1 hour.)
    Sean lets Richard actually ask those questions. Here are his rolls for today:

Interrogation 13 (Base 11 + 2 lengthy interrogation): (3d6)[13]
    Interrogation 13 (Base 11 + 2 lengthy interrogation): (3d6)[10]
    Interrogation 13 (Base 11 + 2 lengthy interrogation): (3d6)[12]
    Interrogation 13 (Base 11 + 2 lengthy interrogation): (3d6)[7]

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ogre in the Playground

2 hours is a +1 bonus, 4 hours is a +2 bonus.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Ettin in the Playground

2 hours is a +1 bonus, 4 hours is a +2 bonus.
    There is no 1-hour base as such, unless you hereby mandate it. Historically, we went with "lenghty interrogation" definition as per B202, which is 2+ hours. We have assumed it's not per question (questions are listed as 5 minutes a pop). Also we have not considered the prisoners lying, but we can roll against that too, if it becomes relevant (e.g. if someone tries lying). I think you can read the skill and state how we will be using it, so that both sides know all of the relevant details.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Ogre in the Playground

The previous Interrogation sessions used 1 hour per roll base time.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Ettin in the Playground

The previous Interrogation sessions used 1 hour per roll base time.
    Not sure I remember this. We've used long interrogation here and short interrogation there, but whatever. Not doing anything else today, so yo can advance to tomorrow.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Ogre in the Playground

alright, everyone mark off their meals for the day.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Day 65, one recovery roll succeeded, one failed, now at 7 hp.

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Ettin in the Playground

alright, everyone mark off their meals for the day.
    Done.

@Volthawk: I've done the math and it seems we would be better off with just 8 (or make it 10) one-hour interrogations, at least as long as the guy is not a good liar. I think we can slow down if/when he starts telling stuff.