New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Worse Than the Disease OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    How far away is Richard from the men, and the men from each other?
    100 to 150 yards?
    The men inside the Lodge are within 5 or so yards from each other.
    Anachronism will never high-light the folly of my convictions!

2. - Top - End - #542
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot Da Moon View Post
    100 to 150 yards?
    The men inside the Lodge are within 5 or so yards from each other.
    Oh, thought I was closer than that.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, thought I was closer than that.
    How much closer?

4. - Top - End - #544

How much closer?
    Just figured I was closer to being able to get inside than that distance. No problem, since the other side of things is taking a little longer and I've got some more picking people off to do, just slightly misunderstood the situation.

Thought I posted this earlier when I did the IC post, turns out I must have just closed the window without hitting post or something. I'm smart sometimes.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2021-05-24 at 02:51 PM.

5. - Top - End - #545

For reference, the critical miss effect I rolled:

"15 – You strain your shoulder! Your weapon arm is “crippled.” You do not have to drop your weapon, but you cannot use it, either to attack or defend, for 30 minutes"

With that in mind, Richard is going to be using his Government with his other hand (taking the -4 penalty, since I didn't grab ambidexterity or off-hand weapon training) for the rest of the battle.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ettin in the Playground

For reference, the critical miss effect...
    That wasn't a critical miss. We've paid for Fine rifles, which are Reliable. That means, TL's basic Malf of 17 get bumped one point. Under Basic Set rules that would mean the rifle malfunctions on a roll of 18, which was not what you rolled and we don't use Basis Set rule anyway. Under High Tech 17+1 means not 18, but 17-and-roll-again-to-confirm. So your roll of 15 was interpreted as a roll to confirm, which it doesn's (it would confirm on 17+). So this just results in a regular failure.

As an aside, I'd say the High Tech rule is somewhat weird compared to Basic Set's one, but it does result in like 10 times less malfunctions, which would be a good thing for us.

We are using Malf rules, but that was a regular critical miss. Use the High-Tech set.
    So, what the DM says. You might want to rewrite your action. Oh, I've misread. You rolled a critical miss, not a malfunction... If you stick to that roll for that purpose, you probably should roll another 3d6 to make sure it's not a malfunction (it probably isn't).

UPD: Reading the critical miss table, I say I'm impressed! You've managed to roll like the worst result possible, save for repeated offences!
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-05-25 at 11:16 AM.

7. - Top - End - #547

Ah, right. Thought what the GM was saying meant that I was safe from malfunction and to just roll a critical miss.

So the process done properly would be:
    - 17/18 is rolled
    - Malfunction takes priority over critical misses (B382), so since we have 17+1 weapons, roll again to confirm
    - If that's 17/18, roll on the malfunction table
    - If it's anything else, roll on the critical miss table

Have I got that right? In that case, GM, should I treat my 15 as still being the final table roll and roll again to see if it's a malfunction or critical miss, or treat it as the confirmation roll and roll again to get an effect?

And yeah, not the best outcome there, at least I invested in pistol skills I suppose.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2021-05-25 at 11:46 AM.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ogre in the Playground

So the process done properly would be:
    - 17/18 is rolled
    - Malfunction takes priority over critical misses (B382), so since we have 17+1 weapons, roll again to confirm
    - If that's 17/18, roll on the malfunction table
    - If it's anything else, roll on the critical miss table

Have I got that right? In that case, GM, should I treat my 15 as still being the final table roll and roll again to see if it's a malfunction or critical miss, or treat it as the confirmation roll and roll again to get an effect?
    Well, your rifle is Fine quality and therefore does not Malfunction, IIRC.
    Treat the 15 as being the critical miss effect.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Attack a specific hex (+4), having Aimed (+1) modifying base skill 13 gives 18-range. (3d6)[8]

Damage (4d6)[19] cr ex, fragmentation (2d6)[4] cut, fragmentation attack vs skill 15-range, rcl 3 (3d6)[10] out to 10 yards.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oops, sorry, I put the above roll in the OOC thread instead of the dice roll thread by accident.

And Tariq did NOT pass his self-control, and still has 3 grenades left, so I guess he will tempt fate and throw another one. Shall I do that now, or wait for Sean's and Richard's actions?
    Last edited by GnomesofZurich2; 2021-05-29 at 04:33 AM.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean won't interfere, so go ahead and throw that grenade. As for the cars...

...and two cars are parked in the lot...
    Not sure if they are positioned in a way Richard could use them for cover.
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-05-29 at 04:56 AM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So, Tariq critically failed his throwing roll and it becomes pertinent to find out whether he actually used his Luck here:https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=537

If not, he very much would like to use it now.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

You didn't use Luck then, you can use it now.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe it's Richard's turn and then Tariq?
    I believe Tariq now has basic speed 6.00 too. In theory tie-breaking should be done by DX (12 everyone or does Richard have 13?) and then by dice and the order should stay the same throughout the fight, but I often see these subtleties disregarded in PbPs in preference of "group goes, any order".
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-05-30 at 11:27 AM.

15. - Top - End - #555

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    I believe Tariq now has basic speed 6.00 too. In theory tie-breaking should be done by DX (12 everyone or does Richard have 13?) and then by dice and the order should stay the same throughout the fight, but I often see these subtleties disregarded in PbPs in preference of "group goes, any order".
    Richard has DX 13, yeah.

How many seconds of aiming (after Richard's movement closer) did I get in the end?
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2021-05-30 at 11:34 AM.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

Richard has DX 13, yeah.

How many seconds of aiming (after Richard's movement closer) did I get in the end?
    If you were Aiming as Sean drops down to the balcony...2 seconds of Aim?

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

Sean, you can claim that extra effort bonus on both of your Active Defense rolls - but the first attack missed, so maybe you only spend 1 FP and avoid the shot with a drop?

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

Tariq, what are you doing this turn?

19. - Top - End - #559
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Where is Tariq now in relation to the building (I think it's slightly under 20 yards away) and what he can see of the occupants?

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Tariq, you're within ~15 yards of the Lodge. You can see some bad guys on the ground floor. You count 6, there may be 2 more.

Richard, I believe it is your turn to act.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

1) The dead raiders are too far from you, closer to the raider boss than you.
    2) The dead bodies would require a grappling hook to drag them closer without you moving. Unlikely.
    3) Moving to the right (Sean's left?) would get Sean out of sight of the doorway, and out of danger for a bit...
    4) Climbing down could take too long, perhaps a minute, -2 penalty, about 3-5 yards fall on a failure.
    For 1 and 2 I meant the guard we've killed in the beginning right in this(?) doorway.
    For 3 Sean assumes the doorway is being watched for opportunity fire, but not so sure about the windows, so he might use those to fight back if appropriate.

UPD: Would jumping carefully from the balcony amount to a 5-yard fall, maybe modified as appropriate?
    UPD2: We probably have waited for some time here. Would it be correct to say that it was at least 10 minutes and thus the fatigue point lost here has been recovered? I have not accounted for that yet, but this possibility might turn out to be relevant.
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-06-05 at 10:55 AM.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ogre in the Playground

For 1 and 2 I meant the guard we've killed in the beginning right in this(?) doorway.
    For 3 Sean assumes the doorway is being watched for opportunity fire, but not so sure about the windows, so he might use those to fight back if appropriate.

UPD: Would jumping carefully from the balcony amount to a 5-yard fall, maybe modified as appropriate?
    UPD2: We probably have waited for some time here. Would it be correct to say that it was at least 10 minutes and thus the fatigue point lost here has been recovered? I have not accounted for that yet, but this possibility might turn out to be relevant.
    Ah, well, maybe one guard can be searched...Just not very throughly. His gun might be grabbed (it is a cheap 10G double shotgun, fully loaded).

Controlling your fall from the balcony would help, but that also requires more time.

No, your spent FP has not had a chance to recover. You need more rest than that, and the current combat has been going on for 3-5 seconds.
    Last edited by Shoot Da Moon; 2021-06-05 at 03:41 PM.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ettin in the Playground

No, your spent FP has not had a chance to recover. You need more rest than that, and the current combat has been going on for 3-5 seconds.
    I meant the time before the current combats - when we have planted the mines, lay down in the woods to the north-east of the bear lodge's parking lot, spent some time observing the guard schedules and waited for it to get darker.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

I meant the time before the current combats - when we have planted the mines, lay down in the woods to the north-east of the bear lodge's parking lot, spent some time observing the guard schedules and waited for it to get darker.
    Okay, but keep an eye from now on.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ettin in the Playground

If Sean is half-exposed now, which I presume from the raider's arrack, this might be enough to make this attack without further movement. In this case Sean attacks and then moves out of line of fire (step or extra effort as appropriate). If Sean has to step to attack, he'll do just that.
    I did not put it IC because I don't know which of these applies, but I'd still like to know which of the following is true (in order of preference):
    1. Sean attacks then steps out of sight of the raider boss.
    2. Sean attacks then walks out of sight of the raider boss (expending one FP and possibly putting some distance between him and the raider boss, depending on the size of the balcony).
    3. Sean is unable to attack from his original position, so he steps before the attack and is now there in the open.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

I did not put it IC because I don't know which of these applies, but I'd still like to know which of the following is true (in order of preference):
    1. Sean attacks then steps out of sight of the raider boss.
    2. Sean attacks then walks out of sight of the raider boss (expending one FP and possibly putting some distance between him and the raider boss, depending on the size of the balcony).
    3. Sean is unable to attack from his original position, so he steps before the attack and is now there in the open.
    Well, you did not declare a pop-up attack, so number 2, I believe?

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Richard, can you declare your action this turn?

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

All Player Characters receive 5 Character Points for defeating the ski resort raiders, saving the camp ground settlers, and finding the papers.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ettin in the Playground

All Player Characters receive 5 Character Points...
    Good enough for one day even though we really should have played it safer at the ski resort (specifically, bear lodge). Would you slap some reputation on top of that? Like one or two levels of competent rescue ranging, recognizable sometimes by the communities we have helped? Would be 5..10 points nominal down to 1..2 after the modifiers.

UPD: As for the points we actually have, spending 4 right away on more Guns (Rifle) as Sean has really used his rifle a lot. One point will be left hanging. I advise Richard and Tariq to leave some points to learn Driving because the cars might be a major part of total loot.
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-06-09 at 11:08 AM.

30. - Top - End - #570

Equipment-wise, Richard's ammo count should be up to date now.

Nothing particularly notable jumps out for Richard's spending - more Guns always makes sense (particularly since buying from defaults means that'll get both pistols and rifles up), and I can always boost up my side skills, but nothing's urgent - so sure, I can spare points for driving and anything else we need.