New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Worse Than the Disease OOC

Well, I rolled a "profession roll" in the dice roll thread. Not sure how having Gadgeteer benefits, but it makes sense that it does.

Speaking of posting watch... what's everyone's Per? Mine is 13 (with the downside that I need glasses).
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2020-10-07 at 12:19 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Sean's 15. He is colorblind, but he can see quite well in the dark and he really needs only four hours of sleep (long story, you may ask some time). Normally, he would take two or three darkest shifts (which are, like, any shifts in January), but can hunt around instead if someone else's watching.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Richard has Per/Observation 12 with no relevant advantages or disadvantages. One of the areas that suffered a little from me needing to shore up other areas first. In general, Richard ended up as a bit more of an all-rounder than I originally expected, looking at it.

In hindsight, I could have gotten another rank of Per on the cheap by messing around with skills (lowering observation, search and detect lies by a rank to effectively buy Per 13 for one point without my skill totals getting worse), but eh, just means if I want to improve this area in the future I'll increase Per rather than skills.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2020-10-07 at 12:54 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

You can camp down for the night in the shantytown around the Waffle House for no random encounters. The day goes by without incident - everyone eat 3 rations (you automatically get water from the snow).
    Anachronism will never high-light the folly of my convictions!

5. - Top - End - #35

Poor timing on my part there, editing in a next day section to the post.

There we go.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2020-10-07 at 03:57 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq's Per is 13...but his experiences making and using explosives have left him Hard of Hearing and with no sense of smell or taste.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, we have 90 pounds of meat. It should last long enough if kept frozen. I suggest we eat it instead of trail rations, leaving us with 78. What do we do with it?
    1. Can we exchange the fresh meat for more portable trail rations? They are both priced at $2, but the rations weight half as much.
    2. Should we spend a day to make it into jerky to reduce the weight and improve the durability?
    3. Or can we divide it among ourselves and still have a speed of at least 4?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Okay, we have 90 pounds of meat. It should last long enough if kept frozen. I suggest we eat it instead of trail rations, leaving us with 78. What do we do with it?
    1. Can we exchange the fresh meat for more portable trail rations? They are both priced at $2, but the rations weight half as much.
    2. Should we spend a day to make it into jerky to reduce the weight and improve the durability?
    3. Or can we divide it among ourselves and still have a speed of at least 4?
    1) Yup. Even trade with the encampment management (who are staying put). No gain or loss, money wise, but the rations will weigh less.

The rest of the questions are for your party.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot Da Moon View Post
    1) Yup. Even trade with the encampment management (who are staying put). No gain or loss, money wise, but the rations will weigh less.

The rest of the questions are for your party.
    Well, if we can trade the meat for rations, let's do that and then we won't have to wait another day before setting out. If evenly divided, we will each be taking 19 or 20, so 9.5 to 10 additional lbs. of encumbrance. Along with the fur outfit and snowshoes, that will push Tariq into Medium encumbrance and Move 3, at least for the first five days, after which consumed rations will lighten his load and bring him back up to Move 4.

As is, from ATE2 p.12, most of the party's Move is likely to be -1 for using snowshoes in snow (skis have no modifier). That means we'll be covering 20 miles per day at best at the start of the trip, and that could easily go lower if there's Bad terrain and snow. Hiking rolls may come in handy here, but Tariq's skill is only 10.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

I did not mean to divide them evenly. In fact, Sean can take one pound at most before dropping from move 4 to move 2, so I just opt him not to take any. The primary suspect to take most is, of course, Richard, but his sack won't hold more than 40 pounds total and we'll have almost that much of rations after the exchange. I propose everyone able to take some rations without dropping below move 4 (which is 3 with snow shoes) take as much as they are able, listing the quantity taken, and we'll see what comes out of it.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Simone can take at most four more 0.5 lb rations before she tips into Move 3 territory. (This will be 14 rations in total)

Might I suggest bartering some of the meat and/or bullets for a sledge? It's snowy enough.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2020-10-08 at 11:20 AM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Tariq will use 3 rations for his meals yesterday/this morning, and can take another 4 before dropping to Move 3. That will leave him with 14 for the trip, which won't be enough for there and back again. The idea of picking up a sledge isn't a bad one.
    Last edited by GnomesofZurich2; 2020-10-08 at 11:30 AM.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Might I suggest bartering some of the meat and/or bullets for a sledge? It's snowy enough.
    I see a dogsled listed for $400 on B464. Presumably including a $200+ dog and a harness, so the upper limit for a sledge would be about $200. Less if we choose lower quality or a simpler design, which we probably should. I don't think we need more than a trough-shaped sledge (priced about $10 on the internets at our current TL and in perfect condition), so yeah, good idea. Go ahead and ask around.

UPD: While at it, ask around how much they will give for our painkiller pills.
    UPD2: Looking at it more closely, the dogsled's price seems to exclude the dogs. Still, worth checking it for a simpler design.

Totally unrelated, I've just noticed Sean has group basics, but no personal basics. Are the later included in the former or should I do some shopping and spend $5?
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-10-08 at 12:02 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

unrelated, I've just noticed Sean has group basics, but no personal basics. Are the later included in the former or should I do some shopping and spend $5?
    The later included in the former.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, here's the deal:
    Simone +4 rations
    Tariq +4 rations
    Sean -1 tent +35 rations
    Richard +1 tent (18 lbs in its own bag with handle, to be carried in hand) +35 rations (to be put in the sack)

And we are good to go, no sled required.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

The terrain is considered snow and Bad. Snowshoes remove penalties, but Move is still -1. Skiing is an option, treat movement speed as normal Move (not uphill or downhill yet) and roll the skill every hour of travel. Anyone wanting to speed up the journey, see the rules on AtE2 page 31-32 and the Hiking rules on B351. The party's journey to the Base depends on the slowest Move (encumbrance included) amongst the party, unless you split up. It's 110 miles of distance to the destination.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

Remember that some of your gear is Fragile. After using it (claiming the bonus for the map or skiing), roll the gear's HT (probably 12) to avoid breaking it.
    Oops. Where can I read about it? I rather expected the short AtE equipment section entry about being fragile to fully cover the effect (i.e. hit point and HT reduction that are to matter when a normal quality item will also roll HT or take damage).

Skiing is an option, treat movement speed as normal Move (not uphill or downhill yet) and roll the skill every hour of travel. Anyone wanting to speed up the journey, see the rules on AtE2 page 31-32 and the Hiking rules on B351. The party's journey to the Base depends on the slowest Move (encumbrance included) amongst the party, unless you split up.
    Not splitting up. I've just rolled to see if it's critical fail. As for the frequency of rolling. Is AtE frequency of once per hour only for downhill skiing or does it supersede the basic set frequency of once per day?

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Oops. Where can I read about it? I rather expected the short AtE equipment section entry about being fragile to fully cover the effect (i.e. hit point and HT reduction that are to matter when a normal quality item will also roll HT or take damage).

Not splitting up. I've just rolled to see if it's critical fail. As for the frequency of rolling. Is AtE frequency of once per hour only for downhill skiing or does it supersede the basic set frequency of once per day?
    Yeah, my mistake. I mistook Fragile for Unreliable. Wrong is me. You're right. And you can just roll Skiing once for the entire journey.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

How many miles a day is the party moving again?

Also, welcome to a random encounter!

Anyone wanting to examine the bodies, you'll need to cut them down (30 seconds per body) and roll Search skill (1 minute of work per body).

20. - Top - End - #50
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

How many miles a day is the party moving again?

Also, welcome to a random encounter!

Anyone wanting to examine the bodies, you'll need to cut them down (30 seconds per body) and roll Search skill (1 minute of work per body).
    I think it's 15 miles per day. Slowest Basic Move is 3 (including -1 from snowshoes) x10 as per Basic p.351 x0.50 for Bad terrain.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich2 View Post
    x0.50 for Bad terrain.
    Not if we stick to the roads, which we probably do.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Not if we stick to the roads, which we probably do.
    Sadly, no. The snow covering the roads ruins that, and the nonmaintained roads are Bad terrain even if it didn't. Vermont now IRL has problems with road conditions - in mud season, the region basically is miserable to travel in.

The movement penalty for Bad terrain applies.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

The rules actually cover it. An average road is as good as light forest or rolling hills (and worse than unpaved level plains). It can go down to very bad in the rain, but the snow just adds snow penalties, it does not make the road any worse. Good roads are on par with plains, but probably are long done if they were present. I don't mind you houseruling this, but that's my reading.
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-10-14 at 12:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

The party finds;

Empty spare magazine
    2 whistles
    Gauntlets
    Sollerets
    800lbs. of junk
    Cheap Remington Rolling Block rifle
    small knife

Will look up the weight and other stats later in the thread (give me some time), especially if you guys ask about this or that. Any questions about this stuff?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Cheap Remington Rolling Block rifle
    Will this use "Cartridge Rifle, .45" stats from B279 or something else? UPD: will rifle cartridges that we have work for it?
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-10-14 at 01:24 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57

Unless I've misunderstood something, in AtE ammo's abstracted enough that rifle cartridges work in any rifle we might come across.

Does anyone actually have Rifle? Richard doesn't, but can default to it at 13.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    Does anyone actually have Rifle? Richard doesn't, but can default to it at 13.
    Sean has 14 and fast-draw for it 12. He'd need to offload some rations to take it though.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Will this use "Cartridge Rifle, .45" stats from B279 or something else? UPD: will rifle cartridges that we have work for it?
    Nah, I got the stats from High Tech. I'll post the stats for it in just a moment.

ADD:

5d Pi+
    Acc 4-1
    Range 470/3000
    Weight 9.2 lbs.
    RoF 1
    Shots 1(3)
    ST 10 2h
    Bulk -6
    Rcl 4
    -1 HT
    -1 Malf
    Last edited by Shoot Da Moon; 2020-10-14 at 11:10 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

For the purpose of loot allocation/gear redistribution, went through my gear to make sure I had weights right and sort out where everything is being carried:

Spoiler
    Show

Weight: 76.6 lbs (Medium Encumbrance, Light below 58, Heavy at 87)

Weapons (rifle over shoulder, baton worn on belt, ammo in pockets, shield in sack):
    Cheap Remington Rolling Block (9.2 lbs)
    5 Rifle Catridges (0.25 lbs)
    Baton (1 lb)
    Light Shield (2 lbs)

Clothes/Armour (all worn for travel):
    Leather Jacket, Leather Pants, Leather Helm, Leather Gloves, Shoes (9.5 lbs)
    Furs (1 lbs)
    Snowshoes (5 lbs)

Misc (tent in one hand, basics and blanket in sack, sack in other hand):
    Personal Basics (1 lb)
    Sleeping Blanket (4 lbs)
    Bulky Tent, 2-man (18 lbs)
    Sack (3lbs, 29.65/40 lbs capacity used)

Food (all in sack):
    Rations (39 meals) (19.5 lbs)
    3 Water Bottles (0.15 lbs)
    - 3 pts clean water (3 lbs)

Not factoring in the weight of the sack (wasn't given with the capacity, what is it GM?) or any rations eaten between leaving the House/Sean allocating the rations and now, but that's where I'm at right now.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2020-10-16 at 12:32 PM.