New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1472
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Worse Than the Disease OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot Da Moon View Post
    The animal handler at the Waffle House looks the horses over and finds that they're minorly injured but otherwise pretty good draft animals, capable of pulling a coach or cart. Their gear is also up to snuff. The saddlebags contain supplies for the horses - hair brush, feed bags, spare horseshoes, blankets...
    So, for the lot, $4000 food value or $4000 market value. How much for the gear? We don't plan to use it, so no need to list piecewise.

@The team: What should we do with these $4000? They are acceptable at face value for high-tech gear in Gunmetal, but maybe we can get some other things they don't normally offer on the market. We have $2000 worth of food in the garage, so the options are at least as follows:
    1. We buy a broken Desert Eagle, if there is such a thing. That'll cost $5000 and require a roll at +8 to re-invent into usable shape using Quick Gadgeteer (+4 for $40000 worth of materials, including being the "same thing", +2 for "modifying" a thing worth up to $100k, +2 for extra time taking one whole day). In fact, we can re-build it as fine (reliable) for no extra cost.
    2. We buy some broken or cheap broken Springfield M1 Garand rifles. Suppose they have bought a cache of rusty ones, but haven't yet processed them and can offer them for sale, at least if we ask good enough. This does not necessarily exclude #1 above or #3 below because TL6 rifles should be normally for sale, the only problems are their existence in this state and their state of an incomplete project, profit of which they are going to lose. These are even more easily rebuilt and can be given to troops, if we can spend some time.
    3. We buy a +23F trauma plate to have Richard armored all-around or as a front plate for some reinforcement guy.
    4. Maybe something else?

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    So, for the lot, $4000 food value or $4000 market value. How much for the gear? We don't plan to use it, so no need to list piecewise.

@The team: What should we do with these $4000? They are acceptable at face value for high-tech gear in Gunmetal, but maybe we can get some other things they don't normally offer on the market. We have $2000 worth of food in the garage, so the options are at least as follows:
    1. We buy a broken Desert Eagle, if there is such a thing. That'll cost $5000 and require a roll at +8 to re-invent into usable shape using Quick Gadgeteer (+4 for $40000 worth of materials, including being the "same thing", +2 for "modifying" a thing worth up to $100k, +2 for extra time taking one whole day). In fact, we can re-build it as fine (reliable) for no extra cost.
    2. We buy some broken or cheap broken Springfield M1 Garand rifles. Suppose they have bought a cache of rusty ones, but haven't yet processed them and can offer them for sale, at least if we ask good enough. This does not necessarily exclude #1 above or #3 below because TL6 rifles should be normally for sale, the only problems are their existence in this state and their state of an incomplete project, profit of which they are going to lose. These are even more easily rebuilt and can be given to troops, if we can spend some time.
    3. We buy a +23F trauma plate to have Richard armored all-around or as a front plate for some reinforcement guy.
    4. Maybe something else?
    Hm. Of those, my preferences go 1>3>2. Besides those options, Richard generally feels in a pretty good place so nothing comes to mind for him, so...perhaps Tariq could do with parts/money for another project, or could do with some gear updates that our general passes have missed? Dunno.

A passing thought that's too expensive for this but might be worth general consideration - now we're driving around rather than walking, are making planned attacks on bases, can potentially have extra manpower with us and have Tariq making good explosives for us, perhaps we might try to obtain/make some sort of light mortar?

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    A passing thought that's too expensive for this but might be worth general consideration - now we're driving around rather than walking, are making planned attacks on bases, can potentially have extra manpower with us and have Tariq making good explosives for us, perhaps we might try to obtain/make some sort of light mortar?
    I've thought of that. We could get some 120mm mortar from our next big catch. Or we could get one cheap and broken right this moment. We should be able to tow it using the pickup. Alternatively, 81/82mm is also a thing and cheap one can be had right away. There are problems using this though:
    1. We'll have to get someone Artillery.
    2. We'll have to get someone Forward Observer (Sean should be good, but has no points atm).
    3. We probably should get a copter and Piloting, though this is not too urgent to get.
    4. Using this against the opposition bases will mean risking collateral damage e.g. to slaves stationed therein.

M10 rocket launcher would be cheaper (to start with, might be more expensive per shot, haven't checked it), but less flexible wrt trajectory and would face mostly the same problems with skilles etc.

Direct fire is simpler. We can use Milkor at up to 880 yards and it is not bad. And there is a whole lot of options for RPG-7 usable at up to 1000 yards, at -4 to Guns (Rifle). The problem is getting visual contact at far-enough ranges.

UPD: Maybe we should have a talk with The Rangers someday, when this Blackwire affair is resolved. They might have the skills.
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-02-28 at 11:39 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I've thought of that. We could get some 120mm mortar from our next big catch. Or we could get one cheap and broken right this moment. We should be able to tow it using the pickup. Alternatively, 81/82mm is also a thing and cheap one can be had right away. There are problems using this though:
    1. We'll have to get someone Artillery.
    2. We'll have to get someone Forward Observer (Sean should be good, but has no points atm).
    3. We probably should get a copter and Piloting, though this is not too urgent to get.
    4. Using this against the opposition bases will mean risking collateral damage e.g. to slaves stationed therein.

M10 rocket launcher would be cheaper (to start with, might be more expensive per shot, haven't checked it), but less flexible wrt trajectory and would face mostly the same problems with skilles etc.

Direct fire is simpler. We can use Milkor at up to 880 yards and it is not bad. And there is a whole lot of options for RPG-7 usable at up to 1000 yards, at -4 to Guns (Rifle). The problem is getting visual contact at far-enough ranges.

UPD: Maybe we should have a talk with The Rangers someday, when this Blackwire affair is resolved. They might have the skills.
    Sorry I haven't weighed in for a bit, busy weekend and some internet issues. Tariq has been meaning to make some some TL8 HEDP rounds for the Milkor which will boost it's damage to 7d(10) with linked 6d [2d] cr ex, so that's decent. If we did want a mortar, something like the RO ML Mk II would be easy enough to throw together (base value is only $2,000, so Tariq could assemble one for as little as $200 in parts), but all the problems u-b pointed out remain. A RPG-7 he could assemble for as little as $1,840 in parts.

His first priority is going to be putting together those HEDP rounds, lower down the list is modifying the Milkor to use a 12-round cylinder and upgrading my sidearm, but are there any other priorities for the group? I would also get out and earn some more characters points to upgrade Armoury and Engineer (Small Arms).

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich2 View Post
    If we did want a mortar, something like the RO ML Mk II would be easy enough to throw together (base value is only $2,000, so Tariq could assemble one for as little as $200 in parts)
    I don't really want that one, or anything else under 81mm. Those are effectively GLs of days before GLs, so don't provide any advantage.

His first priority is going to be putting together those HEDP rounds, lower down the list is modifying the Milkor to use a 12-round cylinder and upgrading my sidearm, but are there any other priorities for the group? I would also get out and earn some more characters points to upgrade Armoury and Engineer (Small Arms).
    The listed priorities are good. We'll see what Gunmetal has to offer us, but, if anything, that would be lower priority than Milkor. We are stuck around here for at least two more days. We might or might not find a non-abandoned camp tomorrow. We'll see what to do after that.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ogre in the Playground

Hindsight is 20/20, but I should have had Sean roll for his Flashbacks Disadvantage when he encountered those wild dogs eating people. Oh well.

The horse gear total is worth $500.
    Anachronism will never high-light the folly of my convictions!

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Ettin in the Playground

Hindsight is 20/20, but I should have had Sean roll for his Flashbacks Disadvantage when he encountered those wild dogs eating people. Oh well.
    I try to roll it every time allies are in danger or Sean is otherwise under stress, but this particular case... nah. Someone eating a raider is just as well. Might have been different if raiders were eating each other.

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay guys, regarding future plans:
    1. We probably should send Waffle House men to get the wares to Gunmetal and back, just like the last time. Or we can delay the transaction*. It's not too far away and most of the wares are not bulky, but there are two horses and we have reasons not to be immediately involved, read on.
    2. The proposal is that the caravan to the power plant leaves tomorrow. The three additional guards (specialties: rifle, assault rifle, shotgun) are to pick their equipment today.
    3. The proposal is that we check the power plant before people arrive. We can do it the first thing tomorrow or we can leave Tariq some time to do grenades and/or pistol while we check the remaining two raiders' campsites and leave for the power plant early afternoon. I certainly would like to have Tariq with us at the site, because things might get interesting. We do not necessarily have to wait for the caravan, but maybe would want to spend some time scavenging.
    4. Proposing we don't leave for Newport before we meet with Blackwire, but leave the first thing after that, on the condition that no other militia takes the task of securing the area.

Any thoughts or corrections?

*UPD: I have laid out the transaction as we can do now, it is not problematic and we have the funds, but maybe we should do the rest of the business in this local area and amend it before we execute it. Depends on how quickly Richard would like his pistol delivered.
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-03-02 at 10:33 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1059

Okay guys, regarding future plans:
    1. We probably should send Waffle House men to get the wares to Gunmetal and back, just like the last time. Or we can delay the transaction*. It's not too far away and most of the wares are not bulky, but there are two horses and we have reasons not to be immediately involved, read on.
    2. The proposal is that the caravan to the power plant leaves tomorrow. The three additional guards (specialties: rifle, assault rifle, shotgun) are to pick their equipment today.
    *UPD: I have laid out the transaction as we can do now, it is not problematic and we have the funds, but maybe we should do the rest of the business in this local area and amend it before we execute it. Depends on how quickly Richard would like his pistol delivered.
    I'm not in too much of a rush, no, so we can delay the trade if you'd rather. In general, the caravan plans look solid to me.

3. The proposal is that we check the power plant before people arrive. We can do it the first thing tomorrow or we can leave Tariq some time to do grenades and/or pistol while we check the remaining two raiders' campsites and leave for the power plant early afternoon. I certainly would like to have Tariq with us at the site, because things might get interesting. We do not necessarily have to wait for the caravan, but maybe would want to spend some time scavenging.
    Agreed on wanting Tariq with us, so I'll defer to him there on the power plant schedule.

4. Proposing we don't leave for Newport before we meet with Blackwire, but leave the first thing after that, on the condition that no other militia takes the task of securing the area.
    Yeah, I'd rather not leave the Blackwire issue hanging for much longer than we need to - if feels like the kind of thing that, if left alone, could blow up in about half a dozen ways.

10. - Top - End - #1060
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Agreed on wanting Tariq with us, so I'll defer to him there on the power plant schedule.
    Give him another day to make some HEPD rounds, maybe modify the GL and handgun if he has time, then he'll be set to go.

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Ettin in the Playground

One whole day then. We'll check the two sites and maybe make a trip to Gunmetal. The departure of the caravan is to be timed so that it does not arrive before we do.

@GM: Ready to advance to the next day, I guess.
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-03-02 at 02:14 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

@u-b: of the gear in the spreadsheet, what can I make use of for further inventing rolls?

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Ettin in the Playground

@u-b: of the gear in the spreadsheet, what can I make use of for further inventing rolls?
    The following things are designated raw materials and are present on site:
    A72 - fuses for 40mm and the like
    A74 - flashy stuff for flashbangs and the like
    A81 + A83 - for multi-flechete rounds
    A85 - for illumination rounds
    A89 - for anything explosive
    A110 - for another glock
    A73, A76, A80 - to buy anything else, like junk metal and such
    A166 - your GL

Things to be made, in no particular order:
    1. Some 40mm HEDPs.
    2. Some 40mm IR illumination flares.
    3. A Glock 17 (quick gadgetier at +3 modification up to $10k, +4 parts, +time) or, better, a Fine (Reliable) Glock 22 (quick gadgetier at +2 modification up to $100k, +3 parts, +time) - this better done with no extra parts to hit the "modification" column instead of "invention" column on the gadgetier table.
    4. Maybe GL, also with no extra parts, you do the math.

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ogre in the Playground

Moving onto the next day then.

Mark off the meals eaten.

15. - Top - End - #1065
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The following things are designated raw materials and are present on site:
    A72 - fuses for 40mm and the like
    A74 - flashy stuff for flashbangs and the like
    A81 + A83 - for multi-flechete rounds
    A85 - for illumination rounds
    A89 - for anything explosive
    A110 - for another glock
    A73, A76, A80 - to buy anything else, like junk metal and such
    A166 - your GL

Things to be made, in no particular order:
    1. Some 40mm HEDPs.
    2. Some 40mm IR illumination flares.
    3. A Glock 17 (quick gadgetier at +3 modification up to $10k, +4 parts, +time) or, better, a Fine (Reliable) Glock 22 (quick gadgetier at +2 modification up to $100k, +3 parts, +time) - this better done with no extra parts to hit the "modification" column instead of "invention" column on the gadgetier table.
    4. Maybe GL, also with no extra parts, you do the math.
    Thank you.

First off, he's going to make some TL8 HEDP rounds. $20 base value, $320 after TL modifier means he needs $32 worth of parts. Using a fuse ($20) and a pound of TNT ($40), I would argue both count as very closely related, bringing their value up to $120, and adding a rifle cartridge brings it up to $130 for x4 the needed parts. Doing that four times produces 22 rounds, taking 2 1/2 hours.

As a note Tariq still has 6 illumination flares, but not IR ones, so he'll put some of those together. Doing that twice produces 8 flares and takes 50 minutes.

Next Tariq tackles the Glock, and in 20 minutes produces a bug-free Glock-17.

He will then see about upgrading the Milkor to use a 12-shot revolver cylinder instead of a 6-shot one. I'm assuming the difference in value is the same as for the difference in value between the Milkor and the Hawk MM1 - cheap Milkor is $9,600, a cheap Hawk MM1 is $12,800, so the difference in value is $3,200. He needs $320 in parts, so he'll use 32 rifle cartridges to procure the needed supplies. He spends 160 minutes but successfully upgrades it with no bugs.

All told he has spent 6 hours and 20 minutes pulling this together. Is there anything else Sean or Richard want him to do?
    Last edited by GnomesofZurich2; 2022-03-03 at 04:47 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Ogre in the Playground

Sean tied in the Stealth versus Observation quick contest, so the enemy is getting suspicious.
    If you wanna start shooting right now, you'll need to Fast-Draw, Sean. Not tot mention, your allies will be hanging back, so they may have trouble assisting you.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ettin in the Playground

The spreadsheet has a value of $2,365 (not entirely sure how that was derived)
    The thing was without the magazine, so (9600 - 140) / 4. You could have rebuilt it complete with the magazine, I guess.

Next Tariq tackles the Glock, and in 20 minutes produces a bug-free Glock-17.
    Care to rebuild it further? Will be a bit easier now that it is fully operable. Glock 22 is the same price as Glock 17, but is better because it does 2d+2 pi+, which means you can either do more damage or use APHC bullets for the same damage with better penetration. Glock 17 does not play well with APHC as those become pi-. Not sure if you care enough about the sidearm, but that is an option. Making it fine is optional.

All told he has spent 6 hours and 20 minutes pulling this together. Is there anything else Sean or Richard want him to do?
    You could try to improve Milcor's accuracy to that of "Under-Barrel, 40mm" from B281. Not sure what price difference, but say it would be that GL's full cost of 500*8*0.4 = 1600. You'll get yourself a +1 acc. Then you would like to dedicate a day to improve it's quality. Aside from that, I think of buiding a short batch of spare magazines, a short batch of flashbangs (we left a lot with the Rangers), maybe some more flechete shots... and that's it.

Also, I think and error has crept in the sheet some time since yesterday: Tariq should have 10 Receive-Only radios (these are radio detonators, so each is effectively one-shot when used for the purpose). UPD: Also, the trauma plate has wrong stats... I think there is a whole bunch of errors, actually. You can look at the version history to hunt them all.
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-03-04 at 10:38 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Also, I think and error has crept in the sheet some time since yesterday: Tariq should have 10 Receive-Only radios (these are radio detonators, so each is effectively one-shot when used for the purpose). UPD: Also, the trauma plate has wrong stats... I think there is a whole bunch of errors, actually. You can look at the version history to hunt them all.
    Yes, sorry, that was definitely me. I noticed the errors and tried to correct them, but obviously did not succeed. I wasn't aware there was a version history. I've fixed all of Tariq's gear. I hope I didn't mess anything else up.

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ogre in the Playground

One raider does not recover from mental stun, partial surprise.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, the message goes through, but maybe anyone listening in to radio could've eavesdropped on it.
    Yes, but with three limitations:
    1. It is on our car's main radio frequency (not sure if that is also radar base frequency), so that frequency must be monitored.
    2. It's tiny, so has a somewhat limited range.
    3. It's TL8, so has built-in free basic encryption, which is in use. Can be decoded, if recorded, but with time and skill.

21. - Top - End - #1071

So how far is Richard from Sean, and from the raiders? Can he see the raiders from where he is?

22. - Top - End - #1072
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Care to rebuild it further? Will be a bit easier now that it is fully operable. Glock 22 is the same price as Glock 17, but is better because it does 2d+2 pi+, which means you can either do more damage or use APHC bullets for the same damage with better penetration. Glock 17 does not play well with APHC as those become pi-. Not sure if you care enough about the sidearm, but that is an option. Making it fine is optional.

You could try to improve Milcor's accuracy to that of "Under-Barrel, 40mm" from B281. Not sure what price difference, but say it would be that GL's full cost of 500*8*0.4 = 1600. You'll get yourself a +1 acc. Then you would like to dedicate a day to improve it's quality. Aside from that, I think of buiding a short batch of spare magazines, a short batch of flashbangs (we left a lot with the Rangers), maybe some more flechete shots... and that's it.
    @Shoot Da Moon: What would you require to change the Glock 17 into a Glock 22 if there is no price differential?

For improving the Milkor's accuracy, I don't think $1,600 is going to be enough. As a cheap weapon, he paid 40% of it's base cost in exchange for -1 Acc, -1 HT, -1 Malf, saving $14,400 over the base Milkor without considering the 12-shot cylinder he installed. I think GL accuracy was re-considered between Basic and High-Tech, because none of the handheld ones in High-Tech have an Acc greater than 1, other than the ATK-H&K M29 with its sophisticated sight.

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Ogre in the Playground

So how far is Richard from Sean, and from the raiders? Can he see the raiders from where he is?
    I'd say one turn of Movement, at least. How far back do you normally stay away from your scout as he sneaks ahead? You'd see the raiders from about 2 yards of distance from Sean's position in any direction, at most. So get closer to Sean to see the bad guys.

@Shoot Da Moon: What would you require to change the Glock 17 into a Glock 22 if there is no price differential?
    Hard to say. What are the main differences in stats between the two guns? It could be handled as if a modification...

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Ettin in the Playground

What are the main differences in stats between the two guns?
    Mainly one does pi and another pi+. A few minor things like weight and magazine capacity and that's it.

25. - Top - End - #1075
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hard to say. What are the main differences in stats between the two guns? It could be handled as if a modification...
    Glock 17 is a 9x19mm pistol with damage 2d+2 pi, Acc 2, Range 160/1,800, Weight 1.9/0.6, RoF 3, Shots 17+1(3), ST 8, Bulk -2, Rcl 2, Cost $600 ($9,600 in ATE)
    Glock 22 is a .40 S&W, the differences are damage 2d+2 pi+, Wt. 2.1/0.7, Shots 15+1, no difference in cost mentioned

At a minimum it will require changing out the barrel, so even if there is no price differential, there will be some cost to change that out (possibly one could bore the 9mm out into the larger .40?). Some searching online turned up conversion barrels starting at around $65 US. Since GURPS 4E dollars are fixed at around 2004 values, an inflation calculator suggests the same barrel in 2004 would be worth around $43.67. So, after TL multiplier, $700? As a Quick Gadgeteer, that means I could get away with $70 worth of parts. Sound good?

26. - Top - End - #1076
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, $70 worth of parts is good enough. Treat it as if it were a modification, not a new invention or an upgrade?

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ettin in the Playground

Players, do you have orders for Bart the Hunter or the dogs?
    For bart, nothing from Sean. For all I care, Bart can follow the dogs, or stop to watch the window, or do anything else as long as it's sensible. Maybe aims at that guy this turn, if he can already see him and Richard does not kill him.

For the dogs, they just go all in, barking, biting and stuff.
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-03-08 at 11:57 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Yes, $70 worth of parts is good enough. Treat it as if it were a modification, not a new invention or an upgrade?
    Done, 20 minutes to do the job, expended $70 in parts, and no bugs.

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Ogre in the Playground

Good news, one bad guy left.
    He's in good cover (-2 (another -2 and extra DR to hit torso legs and groin), only his head, arms and weapon are exposed), 15 yards from Sean (-5 Range, so less for the dogs, 2 more yards for Richard and Bart).

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Ettin in the Playground

Will need the details for the cars. Assuming TL7 for the radio, TL6 for first aid kits, TL5 for the binoculars, Walter Leuchtpistole flare gun.

Anything interested marked on the maps? If so, will ask Richard to take a look.