New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Worse Than the Disease OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Volthawk View Post
    So to confirm, Richard can use the workshop currently is to do his Armourer things, and do they count as proper tools for the purpose of the repair roll modifier? If so, that'll be how he uses these days - those recent junk finds should set him up in good stead as far as parts go (posting the maths to make sure I haven't missed anything):

Do we have an idea of how many parts we'll need to fix the car? Considering using more junk than I worked out above to give a bonus to all the repair rolls, but that requires being sure about our other repair needs and checking in with everyone.

Also, just to make sure I have it right, each day working on this translates to eight hours of working time (for the purpose of taking extra time and the like)? Can you choose whether to take extra time or just roll more often (ie do I have to just roll once with the task extended to 8 hours for +4, or can I take eight rolls at 1 hour intervals for just +1 or some other breakdown)? Finally, how far into negative HP are the guns? Curious how much fixing is needed to get them back into working order (above their 1/3 HP threshold, I suppose, since we want them at full effectiveness).
    The workshop is enough for pretty much any repair. BUT! Those broken guns, IIRC, only have 25% value for the purposes of trade or using them as parts. Repairs on the broken guns use the full value as if they weren't broken for the purposes of parts needed. You will need more parts than you have worked out.

You do not need anything else for fixing the car. All the stuff needed was dumped in the workshop by the previous occupant. All you need to do is roll.

You can choose extra time for one roll, or multiple rolls for short periods of work. It's your decision.
    The guns are both about -1xHP. Major repairs will get them working again.
    Anachronism will never high-light the folly of my convictions!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shoot Da Moon View Post
    The workshop is enough for pretty much any repair. BUT! Those broken guns, IIRC, only have 25% value for the purposes of trade or using them as parts. Repairs on the broken guns use the full value as if they weren't broken for the purposes of parts needed. You will need more parts than you have worked out.
    Ah, yeah, so we can only fix the SAA for $100 dollars of junk (200 for +1 to the roll, 400 for +2).

You do not need anything else for fixing the car. All the stuff needed was dumped in the workshop by the previous occupant. All you need to do is roll.
    Ah, gotcha. I feel better about using the junk more freely, then.

You can choose extra time for one roll, or multiple rolls for short periods of work. It's your decision.
    The guns are both about -1xHP. Major repairs will get them working again.
    Alright. So as 3lb machines, they have 6 HP, so for full effectiveness (above the 1/3 HP threshold) I need to restore 9 HP (more being better, of course, but that's enough to get it shooting properly without any issues). That should be doable.

3. - Top - End - #243

Alright, that first day had enough successes to fully repair the gun, so Richard's going to spend one of the two days resting - convenient, since looking at the dice roll thread I actually rolled healing for day 16 already in the post I did the IA roll and then forgot about it (hadn't applied it to my sheet), so the way it works out is day 16 resting (healing to 5) and day 17 fully repairing the gun (or vice versa), leaving him resting/free to do other things in future days.

That used up $200 of our junk pile, incidentally. Probably didn't need to use double junk, since I made the decision when I was misremembering the TL modifier as +1 rather than +3, which would've left more to hopefully get up to the Government's cost with this last bit of scavenging, but hey.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2021-01-08 at 09:52 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, that first day had enough successes to fully repair the gun, so Richard's going to spend one of the two days resting - convenient, since looking at the dice roll thread I actually rolled healing for day 16 already in the post I did the IA roll and then forgot about it (hadn't applied it to my sheet), so the way it works out is day 16 resting (healing to 5) and day 17 fully repairing the gun (or vice versa), leaving him resting/free to do other things in future days.

That used up $200 of our junk pile, incidentally. Probably didn't need to use double junk, since I made the decision when I was misremembering the TL modifier as +1 rather than +3, which would've left more to hopefully get up to the Government's cost with this last bit of scavenging, but hey.
    Alright, just to make things clear, post in the IC thread that you've spent 8 hours of Day 16 repairing a gun. You don't get healing rest if you spent the day fixing a firearm.

5. - Top - End - #245

Alright, just to make things clear, post in the IC thread that you've spent 8 hours of Day 16 repairing a gun. You don't get healing rest if you spent the day fixing a firearm.
    I suppose I should roll a new healing roll for day 17 (replacing the erroneous day 16 healing to), then?
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2021-01-09 at 01:05 AM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

I suppose I should roll a new healing roll for day 17 (replacing the erroneous day 16 healing to), then?
    Eh, we can keep the old roll for Day 17, assuming you survive the next day.

By the way, that scavenging in the officer's quarters turns up, in addition to the useful gear, is 3000 pounds of junk, worth $300. Just in case you guys missed that.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

...double parts (unless someone really doesn't want that to happen)...
    No objection to this one, a RoF 3 handgun is a good thing to have. Writing off $200 of junk. As for the remaining junk, I don't think we should use it to fix the pistol, even if we find more of it. Steel parts could be machined when we restore the power, so it seems not the best idea to write off a huge pile of junk that could be better used for parts that cannot be machined (electronics, optics, etc.).

Who will take the repaired revolver? Richard? Tariq? I think we should have it on someone at all times, not just in a pile of loot.

By the way, that scavenging in the officer's quarters turns up, in addition to the useful gear, is 3000 pounds of junk, worth $300. Just in case you guys missed that.
    Yep. Keeping track of it.

Eh, we can keep the old roll for Day 17, assuming you survive the next day.
    Does this mean I should not issue a whole bunch of rolls for the day?
    Last edited by u-b; 2021-01-09 at 01:25 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248

Richard's best skill is Pistols (given it's what he's defaulting off for the rifle), and he currently doesn't have one after giving his old one to Tariq, so him using it is probably a good idea.

That said, has Tariq gotten a bigger gun than Richard's chargen revolver yet? If not, maybe he should have the SAA so he has something punchy (or he takes Richard's rifle and Richard keeps the SAA).

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, Tariq still has that cheap old gun. How about the following arrangement: Tariq gets the SAA, Richard gets both his old gun and Sean's rifle. So, Richard can make one rifle shot, then fast-draw some handgun. And Sean gets Richard's rifle, which is both more accurate and faster to reload. Objections?

10. - Top - End - #250

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Yeah, Tariq still has that cheap old gun. How about the following arrangement: Tariq gets the SAA, Richard gets both his old gun and Sean's rifle. So, Richard can make one rifle shot, then fast-draw some handgun. And Sean gets Richard's rifle, which is both more accurate and faster to reload. Objections?
    That sounds good to me. What about that shotgun we got?

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

Simone? We'll give it to her, explain how to use it and hope she spends one point.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Ogre in the Playground

Try to roll for stuff one day at a time, getting ahead of the IC thread is probably a bad idea.

DAY 17!
    Mark off another meal for breakfast, everyone.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

At 11 AM, Sean is in the radio room. By the end of his 2 hours of scavenging, he has found a shortsword left on top of a big machine.

Sean had meant to scavenge more, but the day got far more dramatic at that moment - 12 AM - as the sound of multiple cars pull up outside the base’s fences, interrupting everyone’s work.

(OOC: Everyone eats another ration for lunch. Everyone else must state what they're doing and where at 12 AM of Day 17.)
    Marking off 8 pounds of meat for breakfast and lunch on day 17.
    Simone is most likely in the radio room scanning the sectrum.
    Please confirm no stash in the radio room.
    There are three motion-sensing monkeys as per #271i, one on building entrance, and two others I cannot meaningfully place without a map, but should be somewhere where we don't normally walk on our internal activities, but where the potential intruders are likely to wander.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ogre in the Playground

Marking off 8 pounds of meat for breakfast and lunch on day 17.
    Simone is most likely in the radio room scanning the sectrum.
    Please confirm no stash in the radio room.
    There are three motion-sensing monkeys as per #271i, one on building entrance, and two others I cannot meaningfully place without a map, but should be somewhere where we don't normally walk on our internal activities, but where the potential intruders are likely to wander.
    No stash found in the radio room. Just a shortsword.
    Those cymbal-banging monkey toys may indeed help. Who has the highest Tactics skill?

15. - Top - End - #255

Richard's been resting for today, so I suppose he'd be where we're sleeping.

He has Tactics 11.

Oh, Richard will take that shortsword if it's going. He has the skill, since it's what batons use, but it has better damage types than his baton so he'll be in slightly better stead if/when a melee happens (although next trading opportunity we should probably sell it because swords are pretty valuable).
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2021-01-09 at 07:52 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ettin in the Playground

Richard's been resting for today, so I suppose he'd be where we're sleeping.

He has Tactics 11.

Oh, Richard will take that shortsword if it's going. He has the skill, since it's what batons use, but it has better damage types than his baton so he'll be in slightly better stead if/when a melee happens (although next trading opportunity we should probably sell it because swords are pretty valuable).
    So that would be the former officer's quarters. I think that's also where we store all the loot we have found, except junk, because that was supposed to be "our" part of the base. Go ahead and take that sword (or, actually, that flamethrower, though I'm afraid it'd take too long to arm).

Sean's Tactics is just 10.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ettin in the Playground

I think it's not yet my turn to do anything, but it's not too early to ask:
    1. I assume most of Sean's gear is in our room, but the rifle is lying somewhere nearby to where Sean is (same room, or, if Sean was moving from one office room to another, even in hand; the last find was junk, so Sean had no reason to visit our room between looting one office room and another), and pocket-sized stuff would be on Sean. Correct?
    2. What floor is it? Does the room have windows? How many of them are facing the approach? Are the windows closed with intact glass on them? What would happen to the bullet if Seans shoots straight through the glass?
    3. Does Sean have an idea how fast those nanomachines work?

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it's not yet my turn to do anything, but it's not too early to ask:
    1. I assume most of Sean's gear is in our room, but the rifle is lying somewhere nearby to where Sean is (same room, or, if Sean was moving from one office room to another, even in hand; the last find was junk, so Sean had no reason to visit our room between looting one office room and another), and pocket-sized stuff would be on Sean. Correct?
    2. What floor is it? Does the room have windows? How many of them are facing the approach? Are the windows closed with intact glass on them? What would happen to the bullet if Seans shoots straight through the glass?
    3. Does Sean have an idea how fast those nanomachines work?
    1) Yeah. You got your rifle and the pocket sized stuff.
    2) You are in the radio room, so second floor. The new people are outside the base. For now. The radio room does not have windows, but they are not far. The windows are closed intact glass. The glass probably won't stop a bullet.
    3) Instantly.

19. - Top - End - #259

So that would be the former officer's quarters. I think that's also where we store all the loot we have found, except junk, because that was supposed to be "our" part of the base. Go ahead and take that sword (or, actually, that flamethrower, though I'm afraid it'd take too long to arm).

Sean's Tactics is just 10.
    Ah, cool, so Richard should be able to grab his gear fairly quickly. On the flamethrower, two Ready actions to light it plus presumably one to actually get the thing, plus potentially one or two for movement to get to the thing and into position still translates to less than ten seconds real-time, so Richard could probably do that without much issue if having the flamethrower would be more useful than another rifle. That said, perhaps he shouldn't rock up to meet them with something that heavy, since he's our best shot at dealing with this without a shootout against a numerically superior force, and flamethrowers and diplomacy don't exactly go hand and hand. Also them having vehicles for cover is a little concerning for the flamethrower idea given how HT talks about them being pretty bad against targets in cover.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

The cover issue, I believe, concerns with solid covers, like maybe even glass. I have no idea how difficult it would be to project liquid into a hex behind the car (it depends on how high the jet would be arching), but burning the car might be a good start. That said, I see the following problems with the flamethrower:
    1. It is not loaded with fuel. The loading time is not specified because that activity is normaly performed out of combat. We have the fuel, all right, but it is not in the tank.
    2. It fires a two-second jet. I have no idea what you'd like to do with second second given that sticking in the window for two seconds is a suicide.
    3. And that's ontop of nobody being trained to use it.

I would counter that a warning shot from a flamethrower could do wonders towards a diplomatic solution, but that might be just me.

21. - Top - End - #261

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the flamethrower plan either, and Richard doesn't feel like he'd go for diplomacy under threat of incineration.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm okay with this plan, but what are the stats for the SAA? I'm trying to identify it from Characters (or another source?).

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich2 View Post
    I'm okay with this plan, but what are the stats for the SAA? I'm trying to identify it from Characters (or another source?).
    It's from High-Tech (most of the named guns we have are from there, with our shotgun coming from High Tech: Pulp Guns). Stats are: Damage 3d-2 pi+, Acc 2, Range 120/1,300, Weight 3/0.3, RoF 1, Shots 6(3i), ST 11, Bulk -2, Rcl 4

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

Way not to interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake, guys.

Since combat is very likely to start soon, keep a good eye on the thread so you don't slow the game down.

25. - Top - End - #265

Does the room Richard's in have line of sight on where they are, or is he going to need to move through the base a bit first?

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Does the room Richard's in have line of sight on where they are, or is he going to need to move through the base a bit first?
    You have line of sight.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

1. Are officer's quarters on the second floor too?
    2. What are the ways to access second floor?

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

The glass probably won't stop a bullet.
    I know that much. Was more concerned with it affecting the trajectory, especially when far from the target. I know 5.56 can be affected by as much as foliage and have no idea how the rules would treat it. I guess I'll just open that window.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

Rolling for Tariq's Demolitions (EOD) + extra time, skill-16;
    (3d6)[8]
    Quote Originally Posted by GnomesofZurich2 View Post
    Demolitions (EOD) at skill +1 for extra time (3d6)[10]
    This means Tariq now has two mines with him. If he just runs away to place them strategically somewhere inside, it might be better for his short-term survival and maybe his overall survival (not sure about the later). Also, I wonder what the mines have for the trigger: is it a bog-standard pressure sensor or something more fancy like prongs? If later, maybe he can throw the mines...

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

This means Tariq now has two mines with him. If he just runs away to place them strategically somewhere inside, it might be better for his short-term survival and maybe his overall survival (not sure about the later). Also, I wonder what the mines have for the trigger: is it a bog-standard pressure sensor or something more fancy like prongs? If later, maybe he can throw the mines...
    Just the standard pressure sensor.

1. Are officer's quarters on the second floor too?
    2. What are the ways to access second floor?
    1) Yes.
    2) The stairs inside, and a ladder outside.