New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Power Rangers 5E is happening

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    For the record, G4 MLP already has an official TRPG:
    Of course, we are currently in G4.5, which I have yet to dare watching (looks like Teen Titans Go! and ThunderCats Roar), with G5 on the way.
    With a D20 & DM Screen.

https://www.geeknative.com/76660/the...ally-launches/

Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Imp

For the record, G4 MLP already has an official TRPG:

Yeah, that kind of makes that move of theirs pretty puzzling aside from the "get the D&D 5e audience" factor (since unlike say, Transformers, there already is an outlet for MLP fans who like RPGs).

Of course, we are currently in G4.5, which I have yet to dare watching (looks like Teen Titans Go! and ThunderCats Roar)

I tried watched it, it's very much Teen Titan Go! level.

with G5 on the way.
    Eagerly waiting for it.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    The first game from the pair will be the Power Rangers Role Playing Game which will use Dungeon & Dragon’s 5e system, which Hasbro owns through Wizards of the Coast. Renegade have their own systems in games like Outbreak, Overlight, and the popular Kids on Bikes but these won’t be used for Power Rangers."

That sounds a little more official to me.
    Does these take us to a 5e book, or, a separate game kind of like the d20 Modern or d20 Traveller or something like that?
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

4. - Top - End - #34
    Closed Account

BlackDragon

https://www.geeknative.com/96553/pow...games-planned/

"Renegade Games Studios who have a partnership with Hasbro for the 2018 Renegade Game Studios Power Rangers: Heroes of The Grid board game today announced an expansion of that relationship.

The first game from the pair will be the Power Rangers Role Playing Game which will use Dungeon & Dragon’s 5e system, which Hasbro owns through Wizards of the Coast. Renegade have their own systems in games like Outbreak, Overlight, and the popular Kids on Bikes but these won’t be used for Power Rangers."

That sounds a little more official to me.
    Official in the sense that Hasbro is insisting Renegade Games use the 5e rule set.

This may include the option to use more features then just the 5e SRD. Unless we see the contract, or more details come out...we are all, (myself included), speculating around the edges of the press release.

Monte Cook Games insisted that the 3PP producer that is making the Diamond Throne re-release use the Cypher Rules system, despite, the 3PP really wanting to use the 5e SRD.

Of course Hasbro wants as many games to use the 5e ruleset as possible, it helps not fragment the marketplace, which they currently Dominate.
    Last edited by Satori01; 2020-09-30 at 11:38 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

MonkGuy

This increases the likelihood of a 6e in ~2023. This is late stage supplement treadmill stuff.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Satori01 View Post
    Unless we see the contract, or more details come out...we are all, (myself included), speculating around the edges of the press release.
    No, you're just grasping at straws that you're not wrong.

You shot your shot. You missed. Move on.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Official in the sense that Hasbro is insisting Renegade Games use the 5e rule set.
    The conversation you jumped involved jaappleton talking without another poster who doubted it was going to be D&D 5e, claiming it could be for the 5th edition of an entirely different roleplaying game. If you agree its D&D 5e and your only point is hair splitting between how "offical" D&D 5e power ranger is going to be then theres no real disagreement.
    Last edited by Boci; 2020-09-30 at 11:37 AM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

8. - Top - End - #38
    Colossus in the Playground

d20 modern wasn't a game using the Dungeons and dragons 3rd addition system, it was a game in the same family of systems.

This to me seems like it's going to b its own thing, but be Backwards compatible with 5E

I imagine the assumption is that the party will consist mostly of the same class, or that there are different classes that all have the same kind of subclasses, representing how a team almost always has the same power source and base chassis with differences being their weapons and, in later series, what the "element" of their power was.

I imagine that character options will revolve around whether you only have powers when morphed or if you have powers all the time and morphing makes them stronger, whether you're more tech-based, more magic-based, or somewhere in the middle(technically, it's almost always a mix but some seasons very clearly invoke one more than the other) and what your specific gimmick is.

...Though I'll admit, I'm imagining a party of Warlocks with The Morphing Grid as their patron.

The real question is how they'll handle Zords.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #39

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    Yeah, that kind of makes that move of theirs pretty puzzling aside from the "get the D&D 5e audience" factor (since unlike say, Transformers, there already is an outlet for MLP fans who like RPGs).
    As someone who's played the 'story telling' game, it's more like those dnd sessions that are more about theater of mind and roleplaying than the more combat/skill focused aspects of 5e. It's very much aimed towards very young kids, where I imagine if they decided to make like a carbon copy 5e equivalent there would be more substance.

Also I highly doubt that they would base it off of the G5 pony stuff (unless it happens to coincide with the G5's launch) or the 4.5 stuff as G4 is pretty much a whole setting they can easily do whatever they want in since they're no longer using it as show material. I also imagine those dnd/mlp crossover ponies are more designed like the classic ponies due to hasbro thinking anyone not into mlp would more so remember the classic pony designs. Or maybe they just figured the dnd audience would like more realistic equine designs.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Closed Account

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    No, you're just grasping at straws that you're not wrong.

You shot your shot. You missed. Move on.
    Really...you are not speculating around the edges of the press release?

As I, said, I am speculating....if I am wrong, then I am wrong.

This being a somewhat speculative thread....(we don't know what the branding nor the products look like..I think we can all agree)...I don't feel ashamed at being wrong.

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-03 at 11:51 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Really...you are not speculating around the edges of the press release?

As I, said, I am speculating....if I am wrong, then I am wrong.

This being a somewhat speculative thread....(we don't know what the branding nor the products look like..I think we can all agree)...I don't feel ashamed at being wrong.

{scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    I'm not speculating at all, about anything. Its confirmed. Its using 5E. You refusing to acknowledge that is more of an issue you have to deal with.

At this point, I am no longer going to engage you. Enjoy your time.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-03 at 11:51 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Of all the franchises to make into a D&D-esque game, Power Rangers might actually not be the worst one they could have picked. Really think about it for a moment. What does your usual episode of Power Rangers look like?

The Rangers:
    • are faced with a problem in town.
    • investigate the situation.
    • fight some monsters.
    • deal with some challenges on the way.
    • find a solution to the overall problem or discover the villain behind it.
    • top it off with a fight against the big boss monster that is won through teamwork.

It's not all that different from a non-dungeon D&D adventure. And heck, you can't tell me that the Megazord isn't an ability that they can use only once per long rest.

Don't look to closely at the comparison, it's a joke that falls apart if you think about it for more than six seconds. :P
    Last edited by Theoboldi; 2020-09-30 at 12:07 PM.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

13. - Top - End - #43

GreenSorcererElf

If you Google search "5th edition" in incognito mode, the first page is full of 5e D&D links.

But yes, I suppose it's entirely possible the company that owns D&D might be referring to some other unknown RPG that's in its 5th Edition without specifying anything further.

I'm not sure that any other tabletop RPG on the planet is actually in its 5th edition, but it could be! I checked to see what GURPS is up to and it looks like it's only 4th Edition, but maybe Hasbro means to say that GURPS is releasing a 5th edition with Power Rangers as its launch product!

Nothing is knowable. You can't trust your senses because they could be lying to you.

Knowledge is only delusion.

There is no spoon.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post
    Of all the franchises to make into a D&D-esque game, Power Rangers might actually not be the worst one they could have picked. Really think about it for a moment. What does your usual episode of Power Rangers look like?

The Rangers:
    • fight some monsters.
    • top it off with a fight against the big boss monster that is won through teamwork.

It's not all that different from a non-dungeon D&D adventure. And heck, you can't tell me that the Megazord isn't an ability that they can use only once per long rest.

Don't look to closely at the comparison, it's a joke that falls apart if you think about it for more than six seconds. :P
    Keep in mind that when they werewriting AD&D second edition in 89 they used The Golden Girls as the standard as the ideal four person party...

...Oh God, now I'm imagining four elderly ladies as Power Rangers exploring a medieval fantasy setting.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MinotaurWarrior View Post
    I'm not sure that any other tabletop RPG on the planet is actually in its 5th edition, but it could be!
    Vampire the Masquerade and Shadowrun IIRC have 5th editions.

Herre are some others. Hackmaster has a fifth edition, and Legend of the Five Rings

(Don't think any of those are Hasbro, but I may be mistaken)
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-09-30 at 12:15 PM.
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Theoboldi View Post

The Rangers:
    • fight some monsters.

The Megazord usage is actually fairly easy to translate into game mechanics.

Call it a group power. Tasha's is already going to deal with 'group patrons', so its possible this is a further expansion on what will be an existing thing. Everyone, on their turn, can use their action to summon ______ (Insert favorite Megazord here) to deal ______ damage, scaling as you level up. This power recharges on a long rest.

17. - Top - End - #47

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Vampire the Masquerade, or maybe Shadowrun, is IIRC up to edition 5.
    Lemme check.
    Wikipedia says you're right.

Maybe it's Power Ranger Vampires. There's really no way for us to know. How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Evaar View Post
    Wikipedia says you're right.

Maybe it's Power Ranger Vampires. There's really no way for us to know. How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real
    That's why they wear the power ranger outfits. To shield them from the sun.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow! This sounds super fun. I really like the idea.
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still betting that Wesley Snipes / Blade PWNs them all.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Keep in mind that when they werewriting AD&D second edition in 89 they used The Golden Girls as the standard as the ideal four person party...

...Oh God, now I'm imagining four elderly ladies as Power Rangers exploring a medieval fantasy setting.
    That would have been a fantastic episode though, wouldn't it? Only question is who their GM would have been.

Quote Originally Posted by jaappleton View Post
    The Megazord usage is actually fairly easy to translate into game mechanics.

Call it a group power. Tasha's is already going to deal with 'group patrons', so its possible this is a further expansion on what will be an existing thing. Everyone, on their turn, can use their action to summon ______ (Insert favorite Megazord here) to deal ______ damage, scaling as you level up. This power recharges on a long rest.
    I guess that works if you use the Megazord only for its finisher, though it'd be a shame to have no mechanics for full, proper Zord battles. They don't happen to often in the show, I know, but I'd still expect them if I were to buy this.
    Always look for white text. Always.
    That's how you do it! Have a cookie!
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekielraiden View Post
    You don't win people over by beating them with facts until they surrender; at best all you've got is a conversion under duress, and at worst you've actively made an enemy of your position.

You don't convince by proving someone wrong. You convince by showing them a better way to be right. The difference may seem subtle or semantic, but I assure you it matters a lot.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

I've got no problems with it, although I never got all that into power rangers so I probably won't partake... If there are any cool subclasses though, I'll at least take a look.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

After reading the reception in this thread it doesn't seem very positive.... Why is that?
    Last edited by zinycor; 2020-09-30 at 12:19 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    After reading the reception in this thread it doesn't seem very positive.... Why is that?
    D&D is heroic fantasy, Power Rangers is not. Maybe the skeptisism is uncalled for, but its trying to blend two different genres into one product, which has worked before, but has tend to fail more often.

25. - Top - End - #55

GreenSorcererElf

A thing is coming out that doesn't appeal to them and we're on the Internet.

Personally, I don't care. I don't have any interest whatsoever in Power Rangers, but I'm sure some people do. Have fun!

D&D is heroic fantasy, Power Rangers is not.
    Um. What is it, then?
    Last edited by Evaar; 2020-09-30 at 12:24 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Personally, I'm all for this. I'm all for any product which gets more people into the hobby. My opinion on tabletop, regardless of what system you like to play, has always been "Tabletop can be the best game you've ever played in your life... But if done poorly, can also be the worst." The caveat regarding how bad it can be typically is regarding the behavior of others at the table, we've all either heard or witnessed first hand some horror stories.

So I'm all for this Power Rangers crossover content, because it can bring in new people to the hobby.

You can choose not to use any and all of its content at your table, if you so choose. Its an entirely optional thing. If you don't want Megazords and a dagger you play like a flute that summons a mechanical dragon (And if you don't want that, what's wrong with you?) then you have the ability to outright ignore this content.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Monk subclass Way of the Sentai lets goooooooooooooooooooooo.
    even better:
    "We are the Ginyu Force!"
    TOKUSENTAI, TOKUSENTAI TOKUSENTAI...
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Um. What is it, then?
    Superhero/Action, which is not the same as fantasy. For starts, its set in the modern era, D&D is set in a blend of several historic eras.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    I'm still betting that Wesley Snipes / Blade PWNs them all.
    Better the Blade, let's get Simon or Trevor Belmont in on that. Legendary vampire hunters wielding holy power against the darkness. Especially against the Twilight sparkle vamps.
    Red Mage avatar by Aedilred.

Where do you fit in? (link fixed)

RedMage Prestige Class!

Best advice I've ever heard one DM give another:
    "Remember that it is both a game and a story. If the two conflict, err on the side of cool, your players will thank you for it."

Second Eternal Foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

30. - Top - End - #60

GreenSorcererElf

Superhero/Action, which is not the same as fantasy. For starts, its set in the modern era, D&D is set in a blend of several historic eras.
    So... you would also exclude something like Sailor Moon from being fantasy? Just trying to nail down the definition here.