New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default 3.5 or pathfinder merfolk

So my next Disney expy is Ariel, the Merfolk Bard. My main question is should I use the 3.5 or Pathfinder version of merfolk? 3.5's have a +8 racial bonus to Swim checks but at +1 LA. Pathfinder's have no LA and a +2 Natural Armor.

Also if I go Pathfinder, should I use the Seasinger alternate racial trait? Seasinger trades Low-Light Vision for a +2 to Perform(Sing) and +1 to save DCs for 'Language Dependent' Spells. That kind of sounds like it means any spell with Vocal components, which IIRC all Bard spells have.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: 3.5 or pathfinder merfolk

I'd say "Language Dependent" sounds more like it'd be spells that depends on the target understanding the caster's language, but that's admittedly just a guess.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosStar View Post
    Seasinger trades Low-Light Vision for a +2 to Perform(Sing) and +1 to save DCs for 'Language Dependent' Spells. That kind of sounds like it means any spell with Vocal components, which IIRC all Bard spells have.
    “Language dependent” is a tag that means that the target must understand you for it to work. See the Suggestion spell for an example; even if they fail their save, the spell does nothing if they can’t understand your command. It has nothing to do with Verbal components.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Looking over the Merfolk statblock in the PFSRD it seems like they get an unmentioned +8 to Swim. The sample Merfolk Warrior 1 has 10 Int, 13 Str, and a Swim of +13. Even putting 4 ranks in Swim would only get him a +5. It maybe just a mistake, or they didn't feel the need to mention the +8 anywhere for some reason.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

It's in the Swim skill - all creatures with a swim speed get the +8 racial bonus, PF Merfolk included.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosStar View Post
    So my next Disney expy is Ariel, the Merfolk Bard. My main question is should I use the 3.5 or Pathfinder version of merfolk? 3.5's have a +8 racial bonus to Swim checks but at +1 LA. Pathfinder's have no LA and a +2 Natural Armor.
    To answer your questions: on any caster, you don't want LA, so PF's version is a better fit. Plus, +2 NA is nice to have.

And the seasinger trait is a good trade-off. Bards get the Light spell, so a +2 to sing and +1 to the DC of (e.g.) Suggestion is a better deal.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Didn't Ariel have no voice for most of the movie? And still managed to get the Prince?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Are you using PF races of 3.5 races for other PCs? PF races usually have higher net ability scores and than 3.5.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    It's in the Swim skill - all creatures with a swim speed get the +8 racial bonus, PF Merfolk included.
    Having a PF Swim speed also allows you to take 10 regardless of circumstances, not just in non-threatening.