New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Question What potions do you try to always carry?

Maybe a couple lesser restoration? spider climb? Resist energy? Neutralize poison?
    Just curious what you try to "keep in stock" for you or your party. Low, mid & high levels.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: What potions do you try to always carry?

At low level the first thing I get is some holy water to deal with undead, especially the incorporeal bastards.

I always try to have a couple of cure light potions if my character can't cast healing. I don't use them between combats, but if my character can't cast any healing it's good to be able to jam it down someone's throat to keep them from bleeding out.

Another level 1 spell which is handy is Vanish. If you're about to go down to something and there's nothing you can do about it, popping a Vanish and going invisible can be a great get-out-of-trouble card at low levels. And it's cheap enough that I don't mind if it never comes up.

After that it's the classics of Neutralize Poison and Resist Disease.

At mid-high levels I'll get Heroism (hopefully made by a Bard to be level 2 :P) just because it's an awesome long-lasting buff which stacks with gear, and there may be times when I really need a buff but my party buffer isn't around.
    Last edited by CharonsHelper; 2020-09-30 at 02:42 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

If you can get a Healer to brew them, Potions of Restoration can be handy.

Levitate or Fly can be useful for mundanes, if they don't have a caster in the party that can throw those spells around.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I always have a few potions of cure light, often for no other reason than to put the healer back up from negative hitpoints.

Lesser restoration can also be quite useful.

Other potions depends a bit on type of character and composition of the party.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I mostly carry potions for situational abilities that I'm unlikely to use every day, such as Bless Weapon (oil), Protection from Evil (for its anti-possession effect), Air Bubble, Resist Energy, or Fly (at levels before flight is common).

And a couple of bossfight buffs like Enlarge Person.

And healing potions, including Antitoxin and Antiplague.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I like to get myself the kind of stuff that a spellcaster may like to learn/prepare/use but will probably opt not to. Things like Endure elements, Pass without trace, Water breathing, Water walk, etc. Things that can come in handy when you have them.

Also if I'm playing a stealthy character, having Hide from Undead and Nondetection is useful, and being able to just drink an Invisbility potion is very nice when scouting ahead on my own.

I'll also echo keeping some backup Cure wounds just in case, and some all-purpose stuff like Lesser restoration and Protection from evil.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Well, in Neverwinter Nights 2, if I was playing a caster that took the Brew Potion feat; I would typically make and keep a handful of 'Potion of Summon Creature I's in my inventory. For the record, Summon Creature is the NWN/NWN2 mashup of Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally. I'm pretty certain it wasn't supposed to be made into a potion, but it always was amusing. I swig a potion, make a buddy.

Other than those? Typically the general healing potions, plus potion's of Bull's Strength.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

"Drinking a potion or using an oil on an item of gear is a standard action."

Usually, the only potions worthwhile to me are the ones that benefit from the standard-action consumption action. So Lesser Restoration is a perfect example. Instead of a 3 round casting time, you get it activated in an awesome 1 standard action.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. I had always thought that see invisibility was a legal target for making into a potion. By RAW, it's not. Weird. Why is see invisibility self-only?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Huh. I had always thought that see invisibility was a legal target for making into a potion. By RAW, it's not. Weird. Why is see invisibility self-only?
    Or the detect line, which for whatever reason doesn't target you (or any creature) and just affects an area.

Restoration from the Healer list (3rd level, CL 5, 850 gp) has its uses. Potions of cure minor wounds (25 gp) are a marginally more expensive Core-only substitute for blessed bandages Other than emergency things, though, there aren't a lot of potions I'd seriously consider paying full price on, since given the no-Personal restriction anything you can put in a potion could just as well be done by a caster or UMDing a wand.

On the other hand, quick potion (sor/wiz 2, SpC 164) + pending potion (artificer 1, MoE 100) is spectacular, especially if you can wand them as needed. Extra cheeky: oils of pending potion.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post
    there aren't a lot of potions I'd seriously consider paying full price on, since given the no-Personal restriction anything you can put in a potion could just as well be done by a caster or UMDing a wand.
    Sure, but there's still spells from casters that your party doesn't have (e.g. many parties don't have a Druid or Paladin, and their lists have a bunch of good spells) and that you don't expect to be using more than a couple times in a campaign.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Potions would generally be for things that you're going to need right now; when the Cleric might not be able to get to you in a round and fix you (either because going through the battlefield would be too dangerous, or because they're incapacitated); and where you don't have the UMD ranks to get a Scroll of it. Things like Haste, Delay Poison, Remove Blindness/Deafness, Water Breathing, and an oil of Gentle Repose.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Sure, but there's still spells from casters that your party doesn't have (e.g. many parties don't have a Druid or Paladin, and their lists have a bunch of good spells) and that you don't expect to be using more than a couple times in a campaign.
    For the relatively short list of spells where you really want to be able to use them when the party member expected to perform the role is disabled, sure. Otherwise, scrolls.

You bring up the Druid and Paladin lists, but when you comb them down to spells that you can actually put in potions (nothing Personal!), well, I'm sure there are other examples but the single one I could come up with was potions of snowsight in a party using obscuring snow. To begin with, the kinds of spells that are situational enough that you'll only use them a couple of times in a campaign generally aren't ones that you're in a rush to cast (i.e. it's fine to defer to a caster or UMDer to use a scroll out of combat).

14. - Top - End - #14

RedWizardGuy

Just cure light wounds, specifically so that you can pour them down the throat of whoever can actually cast it if they go down, for pretty much any other purpose it's better to just get a scroll, they're half the price after all.

15. - Top - End - #15

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by eyebreaker7 View Post
    Maybe a couple lesser restoration? spider climb? Resist energy? Neutralize poison?
    Just curious what you try to "keep in stock" for you or your party. Low, mid & high levels.
    For high level play, you can’t go wrong with potions of mass heal, miracle, shape change, time stop, or wish!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max Caysey View Post
    For high level play, you can’t go wrong with potions of mass heal, miracle, shape change, time stop, or wish!
    Other than potions maxing out at level 3 spells.

17. - Top - End - #17

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CharonsHelper View Post
    The Master Alchemist PrC allows a character to brew potions up to 9th level. However, a potion of Wish or Miracle doesn't allow you to choose the effects: any decision regarding the spell's effects is made by the brewer, and they can only target creature (so you can't drink a potion of Wish and have a magical item appear in front of you).

Plus considering how much they cost, by the time you can reasonably afford them you probably have someone in the party who can cast the spells, or hire a caster to do it for you.

18. - Top - End - #18

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by CharonsHelper View Post
    Master Alchemist PrC brah!

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Name View Post
    The Master Alchemist PrC allows a character to brew potions up to 9th level. However, a potion of Wish or Miracle doesn't allow you to choose the effects: any decision regarding the spell's effects is made by the brewer, and they can only target creature (so you can't drink a potion of Wish and have a magical item appear in front of you).

Plus considering how much they cost, by the time you can reasonably afford them you probably have someone in the party who can cast the spells, or hire a caster to do it for you.
    I hadn't considered that, but the others still stand :)
    Last edited by Max Caysey; 2020-10-05 at 07:36 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Spamalot in the Playground

On my alchemist I try to have quite an array handy. Between Alchemical Allocation and Accelerated Drinker, I can get a lot of benefit out of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Max Caysey View Post
    I hadn't considered that, but the others still stand :)
    Well, you can make the wish be "I wish for whatever I state following the consumption of this potion":P
    Chaos is I.
    Evil is Me.
    Good is Us.
    Law is We.

21. - Top - End - #21

Resurgence (SpC): yes, it's the sort of thing that's useful enough to merit scrolls (for those who can use or UMD them), and it's a strong contender for having on a wand, but at the end of the day the person you need to fix might be the one who can actually use the scroll or wand.

It's probably not that far behind "have CLW potions for getting the one who can actually cast heals back up, or, myself if I'm separated from others' healing" when it comes to general potion/oil utility.

If there's a buff your whole party could use at once, it might not be terrible to have "everybody drink their potion at once" all in one round, as compared to (A) spamming the spell on everybody 1 round at a time, especially if it's a short-duration buff or (B) using a higher-level spell slot to cast Mass <Buff>, assuming that the Mass version even exists.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

None.

My characters usually don't carry any potions or scrolls.