New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Beholder

Question Perception in Pathfinder?

Perception
    Your senses allow you to notice fine details and alert you to danger. Perception covers all five senses, including sight, hearing, touch, taste, and smell.

What does this convert to in 3.5? Listen & spot I'm sure but anything else? Maybe search?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Perception in Pathfinder?

Listen spot and search.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Spamalot in the Playground

This is useful because Perception - unlike Search - can pick up on anything your senses would pick up on at the range of those senses, and furthermore do so in half the time. So where a 3.5 rogue searching for traps might have to move down a hallway very slowly, and methodically searching each square once they get within 10ft of it, a PF rogue works more like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    This is useful because Perception - unlike Search - can pick up on anything your senses would pick up on at the range of those senses, and furthermore do so in half the time. So where a 3.5 rogue searching for traps might have to move down a hallway very slowly, and methodically searching each square once they get within 10ft of it, a PF rogue works more like this.
    This talent implies that the trap spotting is not automatic and must be actively done.

The perception skill description also says this: "Action: Most Perception checks are reactive, made in response to observable stimulus. Intentionally searching for stimulus is a move action."

It would seem thus that traps fall under the minority of perception checks that are not reactive, and must be intentionally searched for, unless you have the trap spotter talent.

Edit: That being said, since perception simply has penalties for range, a rogue can search a long hallway with a single check, and the DM simply applies the appropriate range penalty. If you're walking at a steady pace, you can also just use your extra action each round to continuously search for all traps around you rather than searching one 5ft square at a time.
    Last edited by Crake; 2020-09-30 at 09:47 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    This talent implies that the trap spotting is not automatic and must be actively done.

The perception skill description also says this: "Action: Most Perception checks are reactive, made in response to observable stimulus. Intentionally searching for stimulus is a move action."
    These don't countermand anything I said. I didn't say Perception was automatic - I said it's faster in PF and has greater range. Without that talent, you have to say you're searching for traps - but even if you do so, it's still a move action (per your own quote) instead of a full-round action as it is in 3.5, and you aren't limited to a single square within 10ft.

Using the OotS example - each round, Haley is moving down the hallway (move action 1) and actively searching for stimulus (move action 2). This is not possible in 3.5 unless you're taking 5-ft. steps, or searching every other round instead of every round.
    Last edited by Psyren; 2020-09-30 at 10:25 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    These don't countermand anything I said. I didn't say Perception was automatic - I said it's faster in PF and has greater range. Without that talent, you have to say you're searching for traps - but even if you do so, it's still a move action (per your own quote) instead of a full-round action as it is in 3.5, and you aren't limited to a single square within 10ft.

Using the OotS example - each round, Haley is moving down the hallway (move action 1) and actively searching for stimulus (move action 2). This is not possible in 3.5 unless you're taking 5-ft. steps, or searching every other round instead of every round.
    Yup, I mentioned all that in my edit, not sure if you saw.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Yup, I mentioned all that in my edit, not sure if you saw.
    Your edit began with "that being said" as though the points you had raised were somehow valid counters to what I had said, which I disagreed with.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy