New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Any good new monk builds?

Looking over all the monk sub classes. Nothing stands out. I like open hand monk for the OH technique but am i really going to use it much?.Better to save for stuns, no? Definitely want mobile feat to save on ki. Kensei seems good for the ac but thats about it. Uhg Help shed some light on a good build

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Any good new monk builds?

what do you want the monk to do? most monks play very similarly and being fairly ASI hungry they tend to be built in very orderly fashions but if you have something you want to "do" with monk you can put a spin on it.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Alert feat Shadow Monk is a favorite. Opponents don't get advantage on attacks for being unseen, which makes you much harder to kill. (Combo with UA fighting style feat and blind fighting style to not get disadvantage for not being able to see them.)
    Last edited by x3n0n; 2020-09-30 at 07:01 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by stoutstien View Post
    what do you want the monk to do?
    Yeah, that's probably my suggested starting point, too.

The thing you gotta remember is that:
    1. Not all enemies are going to be worth Stunning compared to just killing them.
    2. Monks get their Ki points refreshed on a Short Rest, and get one per level. So assuming you have only 1 short rest at level 8, that's 16 Ki points to spend in a day.

A few fun builds I've considered are:
    • Arrokocra Sun Soul Monk, or Kensei. Monks are naturally good at flying, due to being able to resist fall damage, projectiles, and status effects with ease.
    • Hill Dwarf Barbarian/Monk, with the build going Ancestral Guardian 3 + Drunken Master 17. Flurry of Blows + Reckless Attack + Retreat, to taunt an enemy, deal +8 bonus damage across 4 attacks with Advantage, and then retreat back into your team before the enemy can retaliate. You can dump Wisdom and focus on the Barbarian Unarmored Defense and Rage for defenses. You can also grab the Dwarven Racial feat to spend a Barbarian Hit Die to heal yourself when you Bonus Action Dodge mid-combat.
    Quote Originally Posted by KOLE View Post
    MOG, design a darn RPG system. Seriously, the amount of ideas I’ve gleaned from your posts has been valuable. You’re a gem of the community here.

5th Edition Homebrewery
    Prestige Options, changing primary attributes to open a world of new multiclassing.
    Adrenaline Surge, fitting Short Rests into combat to fix bosses/Short Rest Classes.
    Pain, using Exhaustion to make tactical martial combatants.
    Fate Sorcery, lucky winner of the 5e D&D Subclass Contest VII!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Nobody in the Playground Moderator

I like the 5e Monk. I feel it's misunderstood and better than most people realize.

The biggest "issue" with the Monk is that it REALLY wants Dex and Wis as high as possible meaning that there is rarely a feat worth taking over adding +2 to one of those.

Monk is a very fun class though.

I really like the Long Death Monk and it's easily one of the hardest subclasses to kill especially after level 11.
    Shadow Monk can be a lot of fun in campaigns played primarily in dark areas or set mostly at night.

Wood Elf may be THE Monk race, but there are a lot of other fun class options too.

A Tabaxi Monk can have some bonkers movement speed when needed and Tabaxi's natural claws make for very flavorful Flurry of Blows. The climb speed combined with being able to run up walls means there is nowhere this Monk cant get to. The downside is no Wis boost to start.
    An Aarakocra Monk is amazing. You get to fly around with the extra movement speed and like the Tabaxi and Lizardfolk, your natural weapons(talons) count as unarmed strikes. No downside here unless you play mostly in dungeons.
    A Lizardfolk Monk is extremely fun. Flurry of Blows becomes Flurry of Bites and you also have a very flavorful tail whip attack. The downside here is no Dex boost to start.
    I've always loved the thought of a sub-3ft Halfling or Gnome Monk. Imagine a little unarmored kung-fu thing running around wreaking havoc on the enemies. Even better if the DM lets you run up taller enemies. Ghostwise Halfling gets you perfect stat boosts.
    A Loxodon Monk could be interesting if you like the thought of a huge elephant like humanoid prancing around like a ninja. Flurry of Blows using your trunk would be fun I guess. The downside is no Dex boost.
    A Hill Dwarf Monk would have +2 more hp than most other races. The Dwarven Resilience feat lets you heal while taking the Dodge Action which Monks can do as a Bonus Action. The downside is no Dex boost.
    Of course Variant Human gets you a starting feat while still being able to start 16 Dex and Wis.

Monks don't like/need feats as much as most other classes, but there are still some good feats out there.
    Mobile, Alert, Lucky are good on anybody. Ritual Caster is great because Monks don't have any out of combat skills to speak of. Magic Initiative also helps with the utility and versatility.

Monks don't really multiclass very well due to needed ASI boosts more than most classes as well as their Ki keying off their Monk level, but there are still some fun options.

Ranger 3(Gloom Stalker or Hunter) adds a lot of versatility as well as ways to boost damage. Gloom Stalker 3 is amazing on a Shadow Monk.
    Cleric 1 adds a lot of utility and versatility as well. It's almost worth it alone just to be able to cast Bless twice a day. I like Tempest or Light here.
    Druid 2 = kung fu animals! Also adds a lot of versatility and utility.
    Rogue 1-3 adds Expertise, Cunning Action, a bit of extra damage, and some other fun features depending on which subclass you choose. I love the synergy between Shadow Monk and Assassin Rogue. Scout is also great with Monks getting extra movement with your reaction.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

OH is great at granting advantage.

Prone+Stun is so effective. Due to The enemy not being able to stand up on their turn that single prone can last nearly 2 turns depending on initiative. Great if you have some GWM in the party.

Shadow is best for Out of combat. party stealth - Pass without trace is cheap for him. Works great as human too as he gets dark vision spell in case thatÂ’s ever needed. Multi classes great with rogue.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by dnd2016 View Post
    Looking over all the monk sub classes. Nothing stands out. I like open hand monk for the OH technique but am i really going to use it much?.Better to save for stuns, no? Definitely want mobile feat to save on ki. Kensei seems good for the ac but thats about it. Uhg Help shed some light on a good build
    Might want to wait until Tasha's Cauldron of Everything drops next month, maybe there's something interesting for the monk in there.
    "Come play in the darkness with me."
    Thanks for the avatar, banjo1985!

Spoiler
    Show

I guess I'm a Neutral Good Human Wizard (4th Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 15
    Constitution- 17
    Intelligence- 20
    Wisdom- 20
    Charisma- 12
    Take the 'What D&D Character am I?" Quiz!

Somehow I doubt the veracity of this quiz :P
    Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Edea View Post
    Might want to wait until Tasha's Cauldron of Everything drops next month, maybe there's something interesting for the monk in there.
    Depending exactly how stuff gets printed there's going to be a few new options.
    I have money that we're going to see a monk with higher damage baseline. I'm very curious what alternative class features are going to adopt.
    what is the point of living if you can't deadlift?

All credit to the amazing avatar goes to thoroughlyS

9. - Top - End - #9

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Edea View Post
    Since they've said that all of the new subclasses have been UAed, the new ones should resemble the Way of Mercy and/or Way of the Astral Self for a reasonable preview.