New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Default Diabolist nerd build help

So Iv'e been playing for quite a while in a game as a tiefling artificer, 4th level (artilerist).
    Concept wise, he comes from a family of Evil (capitalized) diabolists. He believes diabolism can be good and improve the world, but not when used directly - he instead binds devils into machines and uses them as a power source.

Where the problem lies? Well, I envisioned him as a magical jack-of-all trades, always with a trick up his sleeve, the right demon to make a quick bind with and solve a problem

Artificers, especially at this level, just...don't deliver. He gets few infusions, almost no spells - and to add insult to injury, he gotta recharge his cannons with the same 3 slots he uses for every other useful magic he has.

So, I begun looking into some alternatives

1. Armorer artificer. We just found a magical armor-vessel thingie, and that would mean I dont need to change my class too much. I still wouldnt be a utility monkey, but at least I wouldnt suck at combat...I think. Also worth nothing we already have a couple of melee
    2. Wizard of some sort - I mean, duh, but I cannot find any specific school that make sme say "Wow, I wanna play THAT", so recommendations would be welcome
    3. Pact of the tome fiend-lock - appropriate as a "devil binder", but the dude dumped charisma, so unless he gets hit in the head *really* hard I doubt itll work.
    4. Arcane trickster/eldritch knight - havent looked into it, but int-casters rhat can also do other stuff so...maybe?

What do you guys think is the best way to get the character I want? One of these, or something else?

Thanks in advance??

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Diabolist nerd build help

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    So Iv'e been playing for quite a while in a game as a tiefling artificer, 4th level (artillerist).
    Concept wise, he comes from a family of Evil (capitalized) diabolists. He believes diabolism can be good and improve the world, but not when used directly - he instead binds devils into machines and uses them as a power source.

Where the problem lies? Well, I envisioned him as a magical jack-of-all trades, always with a trick up his sleeve, the right demon to make a quick bind with and solve a problem
    so...maybe?
    As I understand your problem, you want to summon demons and devils to solve problems and win encounters.
    Is that what you want?

If so, as Tiefling, it might be tempting to suggest Pact of the Chain Warlock, Fiend Patron, but you are still out of luck at level 4. You can find the conjuration and summoning spells at higher levels, to include a few in Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

First off, you can summon up an imp or quasit familiar to help you do stuff. Then you pick up summoning spells. On the other hand, as I review the warlock spells ... not gonna work.

Sorcerer might get you more summoning spells. Tiefling sorcerer is a good fit. (And I'll suggest shadow magic origin sorcerer since you get a shadow dog at level 6 who you can reskin as being diabolic ....)

Or, go wizard, and have more spells to choose from. Your first summon is a familiar (fiend) and then your unseen servant (reskin it as some diabolic force) and in time you start summoning various fiends when you get to be high enough level. Heck, it takes getting to seventh level to conjure minor elementals (who you can reskin as being diabolic ... lava mehpits fly and are evil, look enough like imps or demons to fit ...)

Going half caster was a bit of a mistake based on where creature summoning fits in.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-09-30 at 02:51 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Yeah, the thing is he doesnt summon stuff - he summons them into machines. The idea is that direct contact with devils corrupts the soul, so he just uses them as batteries

The halfcaster was a mistake, but I have minimal experience with casters - Ive grown toike them only very recently, after playing a blaster bladesinger in a one shot.

If wizard, which school would fit thebest for this idea?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Heavenblade View Post
    Yeah, the thing is he doesnt summon stuff - he summons them into machines.

If wizard, which school would fit thebest for this idea?
    Transmutation, I think, based on what your reply was.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

5. - Top - End - #5
    Closed Account

BlackDragon

Flavor can always be altered.

The Alchemist subclass might fit. Yes it is an Artificer, but no Canon.

Magic Initiate: Wizard nets you Find Familiar, Green Flame Blade, and one other Cantrip of your choice.

Summon a Fiend with FF, ask the DM if you can change the Familiar fluff to be a mechanical creature, with the same stats.

Your Alchemist Supplies can include Demon Ichor, Devil's Breath, Liquid Satan, etc.

The healing powers of the Alchemist can represent your Faustian desire to use power derived from Evil for Good.

GFB plus Alchemical Savant at 5th level means you add your INT modifier to the Cantrip damage for the initial and secondary damage of GFB. Note your DM will have to approve this as GFB, is technically not an Artificer spell.

Heat Metal + INT modifier makes some good barbecue as well.

Sprinkle in Wizard levels to add enough spellcasting to meet your taste.
    Evoker pairs decently, as you are good with a number of different Cantrip types, and between Magic Initiate and Wizard level dips you get at least 5 more.

Having more cantrips, helps an Artificer quite a bit. The class needs to start with 3 in my opinion.
    Last edited by Satori01; 2020-09-30 at 10:34 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

So I know that you looked at the Artificer, but how come no Battlesmith? I would think that summoning demons into machines would be a good fit for that subclass, since you could say that your Steel Defender is powered by a demon. Getting the right infusions lessens the need for spells, and going VHuman for the feat for either Magic Initiate (Wizard) or Ritual Caster (Wizard) would help with limited number of spell slots and spells prepared by allowing you to focus on using your spells in the right places. Heck, if you're starting at level four, take both. I know that you can Ritual Cast your Artificer spells, but that's only if you have them prepared. So this takes up room that could be used for other spells.

Lots of Artificer infusions could easily be explained by putting demons into items.

Goggles of Night is because demons usually have blindsight and they are loaning you that ability
    Bag of Holding is a demon allowing you to access a part of their realm for storage
    Pipes of Haunting plays the screams of the tortured demon you've put into the item
    etc.