New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: What books/shows/movies etc did you watch already knowing huge spoilers?

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Its amazing how many authors despise the movie adaptation of their work. Mary Poppins? Oh my god the author was in TEARS over how awful they treated her work. Charlie and the chocolate factory? Im talking original gene wilder version? Author hated it so much he had it included in his will that they would NEVER get the rights to the sequel to turn into a movie. Thats barely even scratching the surface.
    Having read neither of those books, but having seen those movies, I can agree with them (same for King with The Shining).

However, having not read the book but seeing the movie, holy hell is Shawshank Redemption amazing and I've heard a few of the differences in the short story and I want to read it, but it'd be hard to top the movie. And having absolutely read the book and seen the movie, Jurassic Park did pretty admirably but the book is just a force of nature.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What books/shows/movies etc did you watch already knowing huge spoilers?

I knew about the big plot change in the Honorverse books before I read them. This turned out to be a good thing because At All Costs did not get enough of a rewrite to fix the broken foreshadowing, and I'd have been sorely confused if I didn't know what was going on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Harrington herself was scheduled to die in the Battle of Manticore, but Weber had to change it to Mckeon after Flint derailed the timeline.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Having read neither of those books, but having seen those movies, I can agree with them (same for King with The Shining).

However, having not read the book but seeing the movie, holy hell is Shawshank Redemption amazing and I've heard a few of the differences in the short story and I want to read it, but it'd be hard to top the movie. And having absolutely read the book and seen the movie, Jurassic Park did pretty admirably but the book is just a force of nature.
    The thing is, even when the movie is objectively great it doesnt matter to the author because it doesnt convey what they were aiming for in some way. Its not automatically that they think the movie sucks, its that they changed something the author felt was super important. Maybe it had to be done to make the transition from book to big screen, or maybe they just changed the story in some way that ruined the authors vision and what the story was about. Iirc, Starship Troopers was a good example because the message about fascism was really messed about with for the film.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

I wonder if authors hating their film/television adaptations is the reason so many directors try to include the author's in the development process in recent times. Of course, that doesn't guarantee that the fans will love the adaptation (like Game of Thrones finale).

I also grew up reading Terry Brooks' Shanara novels and was excited to see MTV's Chronicles of Shanara but that was a disaster IMHO. They took an epic story and filled it with crappy actors, low-grade CGI demons and effects, and butchered the story to appeal to teenagers with the attention span of a squirrel. I almost can't believe Terry Brooks allowed them to do that to his work. His novels have had some interested parties in adapting his work so many times in the past and then backed out and I think he was just frustrated and just said "Fine, do what you want."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

The longer you live, the larger this category will grow:

Every movie made from a favorite book or book series of mine. That includes:
    The Black Cauldron
    The Chronicles of Narnia
    The Count of Monte Cristo
    Game of Thrones (first five seasons)
    The Harry Potter series
    The Hobbit
    How the Grinch Stole Christmas
    Lord of the Rings
    The Man in the Iron Mask
    The Princess Bride
    Puppet Masters
    The Return of the Musketeers (from Twenty Years After)
    Scaramouche
    Starship Troopers
    Tom Sawyer
    The Three Musketeers
    Treasure Island
    and many more

Several books I read after seeing the movie, including
    The Count of Monte Cristo
    Gone with the Wind
    The Man in the Iron Mask
    Scaramouche
    The Three Musketeers
    The Wizard of Oz

[Anything on both lists above represents a story that I saw one or more movies, read the book, and then saw more movie versions.]

Some filmed plays. I'm not tracking whether I saw the play, saw the movie, or rea the play first. Often, I've seen more than one movie and more than one production of the play.
    Cyrano de Bergerac
    The Importance of Being Earnest
    Inherit the Wind
    Man for All Seasons
    Peter Pan
    The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit
    Hamlet, Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, Twelfth Night, As You Like It, Henry V, and many other Shakespeare plays

Movie Remakes of Movies
    Seven Samurai, The Magnificent Seven

Movies made from well-known historical events
    The Alamo
    The Longest Day
    Titanic
    and many more.

There have been lots of small spoilers in Marvel and DC movies. They don't tell the same story, but they are certainly mining the comic book stories.

Once you start to think it through, I think you'll discover an ever-growing list of these.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

I had no interest in watching "The Good Place," until I learned the central twist.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    The movie version of The Shining was spoiled for me by reading the book first. I generally like adaptations of King's work but The Shining wasn't one of them. The book was way creepier and the totally different ending was lame.
    I also read the book as well, and I honestly think that the novel was just ten times better than the movie all-around. Maybe it's because the latter is hyped up to be a masterpiece and it falls...well, extraordinarily flat of that. Good cinematography, though.

In regards to King's works, I always have this mildly-masochistic habit of reading horror books/movies summaries on Wikipedia because I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to horror. Thus, IT and IT 2 were thoroughly spoiled for me as well (and I'm only being half-ironic at the lack of Maturin the god-turtle in the movies).

Not to derail the thread, but I think the Shining was probably one of the best horror works I've ever read (then again, I'm not exactly the best judge). The scene with the hose is just amazing.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    I also read the book as well, and I honestly think that the novel was just ten times better than the movie all-around. Maybe it's because the latter is hyped up to be a masterpiece and it falls...well, extraordinarily flat of that. Good cinematography, though.

In regards to King's works, I always have this mildly-masochistic habit of reading horror books/movies summaries on Wikipedia because I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to horror. Thus, IT and IT 2 were thoroughly spoiled for me as well (and I'm only being half-ironic at the lack of Maturin the god-turtle in the movies).

Not to derail the thread, but I think the Shining was probably one of the best horror works I've ever read (then again, I'm not exactly the best judge). The scene with the hose is just amazing.
    I fully consider Jurassic Park a horror novel, and wholly recommend checking it out if you haven't already.

The movie scene of Laura Dern escaping the power bunker, running to the fence, and just collapses into uncontrollable sobbing? That's one of my favorite scenes in the movie, because especially after reading the book, you really feel like that's how everyone should be. It's the truest, most real reaction to that scenario, and the book has several scenes like that which really hammer home just how terrifying their situation really is. And the relentless stalker T. Rex helps with that - she's basically the T-800 of the island, and will just keep coming and coming and cannot be stopped.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I fully consider Jurassic Park a horror novel, and wholly recommend checking it out if you haven't already.

The movie scene of Laura Dern escaping the power bunker, running to the fence, and just collapses into uncontrollable sobbing? That's one of my favorite scenes in the movie, because especially after reading the book, you really feel like that's how everyone should be. It's the truest, most real reaction to that scenario, and the book has several scenes like that which really hammer home just how terrifying their situation really is. And the relentless stalker T. Rex helps with that - she's basically the T-800 of the island, and will just keep coming and coming and cannot be stopped.
    Y'know, my brain just switched Jurassic Park with Jaws, so when I saw the "relentless stalker T. Rex" I almost choked out my water. (Is there not a Jaws and Jurassic Park crossover? Shame).

I'll definitely annoy someone until they give in root around for an online copy, then. I really need to catch up on the horror genre.