New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Is Minecraft Steve Going To Be The Next Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighter?

Am I hearing this right? Is Minecraft Steve going to be the next Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighter?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Is Minecraft Steve Going To Be The Next Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighter?

I heard it was going to be Steve and Alex.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Is Minecraft Steve Going To Be The Next Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Fighter?

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    I heard it was going to be Steve and Alex.
    Who's Alex?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

A simple google (or Youtube, for the trailer) search would've answered this. But yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Who's Alex?
    Female counterpart, it looks like. There's also a Zombie and something called "Enderman" (I have never played Minecraft, so no clue what that is) as two further variants. So apparently the character will be like the DQ Heroes: four variant costumes, presumably with two color schemes each.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Who's Alex?
    The redhead woman.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    A simple google (or Youtube, for the trailer) search would've answered this. But yes.

Female counterpart, it looks like. There's also a Zombie and something called "Enderman" (I have never played Minecraft, so no clue what that is) as two further variants. So apparently the character will be like the DQ Heroes: four variant costumes, presumably with two color schemes each.
    The Enderman is a mob in minecraft, as one might expect. Theyre tall, black, and generally not aggressive unless you look directly at them. Theyre known for teleporting around erratically, not liking water, and picking up and carrying around blocks.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

You can see the present details on this movie from Nintendo, with a more detailed video coming up... About ten hours as I type this. It's probably worthwhile to clarify that the Enderman costume is more like the Bedrock Edition's Enderman Halloween Skin Pack, so it's still going to be "sized" like Steve instead of having the long arms and legs that Endermen typically have.

Seems like Sakurai had a bit of catharsis from this reveal, and is looking forward to not taking any more requests to add Steve. I get the vibe that it only took this long to implement Steve because he wanted to sweat every possible detail implementing the character instead of just playing it safe within the system, and I can appreciate that. Too bad he thinks you can get a redstone signal with a flint and steel.

With Zombie being in the costumes, I'd think Drowned and Husk costumes would fill out the rest of the options, though I don't know what to pick out of the rest- Skeleton wouldn't be fleshy enough, Blazes wouldn't be Blazey enough, maybe a Zombie Pigman would work, and some kind of Illager? Of course, if he wants to set the internet on fire again, there'd be a Herobrine skin.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2020-10-03 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Now that the official detailed video is out, changed it to the new link for watching.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    With Zombie being in the costumes, I'd think Drowned and Husk costumes would fill out the rest of the options, though I don't know what to pick out of the rest- Skeleton wouldn't be fleshy enough, Blazes wouldn't be Blazey enough, maybe a Zombie Pigman would work, and some kind of Illager? Of course, if he wants to set the internet on fire again, there'd be a Herobrine skin.
    Jesse (male and female) from Minecraft Story Mode would have been great for the other two, but with Telltale out of business I'm sure the rights for that are a mess.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Whoa. This has me excited for Smash Bros again.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm at least happy they did something interesting with Steve, who's about as a non-character with 0 personality as they come... he's got tech. lots of edge guarding tools and some interesting recovery options. I'm gonna put a safe guess at him being mid-tier and largely weak to rushdown or pressure on a first viewing of the reveal video.

I've got my dudes in Smash already so while even as a Minecraft fan who's not hyped for Steve, if he's your jam, I'm happy your dude got in.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by adamsmitt View Post
    Hi there. I think it can be because it is so popular nowadays. But time will show.
    Time will show... what exactly?
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes?

There's no time will tell... it was told.

By Sakurai.

in 2 seperate videos released last week.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Uh, guys? Whenever you see a post from someone with no avatar and "Pixie in the Playground" (Meaning almost no posts to their name), and it looks a bit odd... It's best to assume its a spambot trying to get a "legitimate post" or two so it can meet the requirements it needs to in order to link images. I thought that looked like a spambot, and sure enough, those posts are gone.
    Last edited by Squark; 2020-10-08 at 09:58 AM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Steve and Alex are the best.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

The Mod Ogre:

That which doth so silent lie
    After five and forty days
    Threads do die
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.