New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default DrK Mortals vs the Gods OOC

To Battle the Gods Themselves

The lands of Aegean sea, the neighboring Pharoh states of the Nile and the savage frozen lands of the Norse all are blessed with powerful and generous Gods that have blessed their followers for many generations. But now they Gods have turned their backs on their followers. Posiedon causes mayhem with storms on whim disrupting trade. Mightly Odin judges Jarls for little reason splitting them with lightning and even the greatest of the Pharoh's heroes has his heart found wanting and consumed by Sobek. The situation is dire, crops fail, storms rage across the lands, teleportation magic has been disallowed by the Gods and great monsters stalk the mountains, deserts and seas slaying people by the hundreds.

Now the mortals have had enough! King Menelaus, the Great Jarl Ragnar Lodbrok and Queen Nefertiti have summoned a secret conclave of their greatest heroes. A dozen of the mages, priests and druids of the greatest orders have called down the mythical Purple Rain to hide the meeting from the sight of even the Gods themselves as the heroes meet in the shadows of Mt Olympus in the Temple of Artemis to discuss what must be done... the unthinkable. The mortals shall have to take the war to the Gods and their realms themselve!

So this is an Epic Level game set in a quasi mythical realm of ancient Greece, Norsca and Egypt where the Gods have declared war on their mortal followers unleashing plagues, monsters and devastation upon them. The rulers of the Mortal realms will assemble their heroes to take the fight back to the Gods themselves and the realms that they hide in. Its an epic level proposition as requested with what will be a strong mythological bent. The intent of the epic level game is to have fun however so please do not aim for "big numbers" or high optimisation. That rapidly makes a game that is not fun for anyone(players or DM included), consider that as well if you are immune to "everything" how much fun that contributes. Please consider the premise with characters themed alongside the greek/norse/egyptian themes (if you wish to add in other ancient culture themes just let me know).

Spoiler: Original 16
    Show

1. System: Pathfinder 1E
    Please use the attached for Epic Pathfinder conversion as can be available here

2. Starting Level: Level 23 // 5 (partial gestalt - see below)

3. Character Design
    • 20 Point Buy starting stats (you are level 23 so plenty of options to buy stat books etc...)
    • Hit Points: max (you'll need them)
    • GHostfoot Gestalt: Gestalt levels at Levels 1,5,10,15 and 20.
    • Races: Please use common races where possible unless it critical
    • No ghosts, fey etc...
    • No epic spells
    • Clerics use the pantheons from their respective pantheon - can discuss domains, deific obedience (if required) etc... on case by case
    • Fractional BAB / Saves
    • Two traits
    • Background skills are in effect
    • More as needed as I think of things....

4. Sourcebooks
    * Pactmaker (i.e. Pathfinder Binder) is available, Use the one from PFSRD please HERE, not the spheres Wiki.
    * Path of War is available
    * If there is a 3.5 class or PrC that was critical as this started in a 3.5 thread please flag so we can discuss

5. Considerations /Bans

Conjunction of the Spheres..
    * Astral and Ethereal effects are ineffective
    * Teleportation (or beyond LoS equivalents) do not work
    * Some more to follow when I flesh out the world a bit more

Ban list
    * Leadership
    * Any form of infinite loop!
    * No Spheres, please don't ask
    * No oaths
    * Custom magic items (combining is okay, custom is no. No rings of vigour etc...)
    * I'm sure there will be more

6. Starting Cash: 1.0 Million GP (no single item >300K)

Table of Players

Table Updated:
    Player Character Classes Ghostfoot Gestalt Status Party role
    Auranghzeb Nehemsek Human Harbinger LVL 20/Pactmaker 3 Pactmaker 5 100% Scouting, Curses and Control
    Kaouse Henry Pascal, Master of Form Fighter 23 Swashbuckler 5 100% complete Damage Dealer, Tank, Mobility, Magekiller
    Aegis013 Camilla Lightmantle Warpriest/Holy Vindicator Fighter/Holy Vindicator Complete Frontline Damage Dealer/Healer
    Da'Shain Nefer-Horsif Mystic (Knight-Chandler) 20 / Animus Adept 3 Monk (Master of Many Styles) 1/Inquisitor (Sanctified Slayer) 2/Animus Adept +2 Maneuvers to be picked, Fluff to be finalized Anti-Mage, AOE/single target damage, Healing/Buffing/Debuffing
    Chambers Garnet "The Mouth" Lanharath Druid (Storm Druid) 23 Brawler 5 WIP Grappling, Druid Spellcasting
    Ancient Runa - Daughter of Wind Barbarian 1/Swashbuckler2/Skald20 Warlord5 WIP Support Melee

IC Thread
    Last edited by DrK; 2024-02-08 at 09:44 AM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DrK Mortals vs the Gods OOC

Some of the NPcs

Name Picture Description
    Ragnar Lothbrook Ragnar Lothbrook, High Jarl, King of Kings, Slayer of Wyrms, Lord of Norsca rules the tribes of the Northlands with an iron fist. He i reputed to have had Odin's blessing and whispered dreams from old one-eye himself to stay ahead of the fates and Norns. He has slain many a monster and has brought his favoured retinue
    Nefereti The capracious queen of the deserts and the river kingdoms. Wearing the double crown she holds the ankh and sceptre and manages the uneasy alliance of the patchwork Lords, Priests and nobles that dwell in the deserts across the dusty windswept dunes, oases and the pyramids. Her rule is bolstered by the jackal headed desert dwelling tribes and an alliance with the sphynxes in the high arid mountains
    King Menaleus Menaleus the High King, lord of the Greek isles, King of Kings and holder of the Rod of Winds is the high king of the peleponese. Rumoured to be descended from the blood of Zeus himself its the warlike, gruff and abrupt King of Greece that has called this gathering
    Last edited by DrK; 2024-02-04 at 09:38 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Camilla will speak in "Dark Orange." because for whatever reason I associate bright warm colors like yellows and golds with Athena, to who she has been devoted.

She's probably one of King Menaleus' subjects.

Let me know if there's any adjustments needed. She doesn't hit all that hard against single targets unless she gets lucky and lands a crit, dealing about ~100 damage per round after casting Righteous Might or some other buff.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2024-02-04 at 12:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatwarforged View Post
    You sir are a True Pirate Lord.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Thanks for the selection.

Nehemsek will speak in Teal

Spoiler: Large image
    Show
    Nehemsek, The Traveler
    m N Human Harbinger 20/Pactmaker 8, Level 23, Init 7, HP 299/299, DR 50% Fortification, Speed 50'/Fly 50'(Good)
    AC 36, Touch 21, Flat-footed 29, CMD 36, Fort 22, Ref 18, Will 20, CMB +15/+10/+5, Base Attack Bonus 15/10/5
    Waxing Moon (+5 Keen Alchemical Silver Kukri) +32 (1d4 +24, 15-20 x2)
    Dark Focus Maneuvers with Waxing Moon +37 (1d4 +29, 15-20 x2)
    Waning Moon (+1 Gloom Blade Kukri) +33 (1d4+20, 18-20 x2)
    Bracers of Armor, DR 2/- Vs Outsiders (Evil) +2 Defiant Buckler (+8 Armor, +3 Shield, +7 Dex, +4 Natural, +4 Deflect)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 24, Con 20, Int 30, Wis 16, Cha 20
    Condition
    Bound to Toth and Serket
    Last edited by Auranghzeb; 2024-02-06 at 04:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Imp

Henry Pascal will speak in Red.

He'll be independent for now.

Not gonna lie, I'm kinda surprised that I made it in. Kinda thought Henry was a bit too... optimized, to be let in.

I'm guessing the GM might have been intrigued at the possibility of an optimized 1pp-only Fighter, though.

Also, if you wish to use Ryoku Absalom as a potential opponent, feel free to do so. Really any of the previous applicants could also work as an opponent.

Might make running things easier.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2024-02-05 at 02:16 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Lanharath will speak in Bold Green. He's from the Norsca lands but considers himself an independent.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2024-02-04 at 03:16 PM.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

7. - Top - End - #7

BlackDragon

Runa, Daughter of Wind will speak in Sky Blue, She is from Norsca, the Lands of Ice and Snow, where the cold wind does blow. She is loosley aligned with Lothbrook, too fickle for his tastes, but tends to show up when she is needed.

8. - Top - End - #8

MindFlayer

Thanks for the selection! Nefer-Horsif will speak in "Navy."

Nefer-Horsif is a protector of the royal line of Egypt and thus closely aligned with Queen Nefertiti.

9. - Top - End - #9

Imp

So, I suppose the question for me now, is whether my character is acting independently of his God, Haagenti, or instead acting on Haagenti's orders?

I think I can make both work. Henry seeks strong opponents - what stronger opponents could there be but the gods themselves?

At the same time, his deity - knowing it's impossible to fully control him - is merely directing Henry's ire against a rival pantheon in the hopes of weakening them. In doing so, the Demon lord may yet expand his sphere of influence across the lands.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Da'Shain View Post
    Thanks for the selection! Nefer-Horsif will speak in "Navy."

Nefer-Horsif is a protector of the royal line of Egypt and thus closely aligned with Queen Nefertiti.
    Nice little interaction there!

@Drk, Nefer-Horsif and Nehemsek both haveLuckdrinker Aura stance. Would it be ok if I swapped mine for another stance to avoid redundant and possibly annoying double de-buffs? Admitedly, Nehemsek will normally be in other stances anyway.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    Nice little interaction there!

@Drk, Nefer-Horsif and Nehemsek both haveLuckdrinker Aura stance. Would it be ok if I swapped mine for another stance to avoid redundant and possibly annoying double de-buffs? Admitedly, Nehemsek will normally be in other stances anyway.
    On stances in general, the assumption should be that outside of combat you are not in a stance. As standing in a stance "all the time" is akin to walking around a social party with your weapon out poised in an attack posture

On swapping, yes.. no combat yet to have to ret-con

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

To help in combat and help everyone track bonuses could people note here in the OOC any group wide bonuses / auras etc... they exude to help people work out all the +'s and -'s when combat inevitably breaks out at some point. Please include the "type" of bonus. Anything that adds a significant "untyped" will also be "typed" with an appropriate type to stop silly stacking as some of the subsytems (PoW i'm looking at you) are very guilty of giving un-named bonuses that could in theory self stack

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I like this. Why don’t we simply type “untyped” as a type that doesn’t stack? Or do you mean type them as “this untyped is ACTUALLY a morale bonus”? For example, the wording of dark focus would make it very straight forward to make it a profane bonus instead of an untyped bonus.

I also like the no-stance all the time policy. However, there are some stances that are meant to be on, before combat. Could we adopt them as an immediate action? Canceling the swift action of the first round?

14. - Top - End - #14

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    On stances in general, the assumption should be that outside of combat you are not in a stance. As standing in a stance "all the time" is akin to walking around a social party with your weapon out poised in an attack posture

On swapping, yes.. no combat yet to have to ret-con
    To be clear, this has the effect of nerfing stances by requiring the use of a swift action at the start of combat in order to enter it. It also has a weird interaction with certain stances. As a simple example, Riven Hourglass Stance grants a +4 to Initiative; if you can't be in the stance when combat starts, this bonus is useless. How should we reconcile these?

In this case, Nefer-Horsif is specifically using Luckdrinker Aura in his role as a protector, in order to be aware of any magical effects which approach his Queen Nefertiti.

On bonuses he's giving out, I will note them in his little OOC stat block, but the Soul Candle currently in Nefer-Horsif's space will give, to allies within 15 feet:
    • +12 elemental damage to weapon attacks of whatever his active element is (let's say Electricity currently);
    • untyped +12 to all skill checks and caster/manifester level checks; and
    • fast healing 12.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Da'Shain View Post
    . How should we reconcile these?
    I think the default rule for stances is fine as is, but one idea would be that a character is always in the stance but gains no benefit from it until combat starts.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Camilla produces no passive or continuous auras. Any benefits to the group provided will be through activating her Warpriest Blessings or casting spells.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis013 View Post
    Camilla produces no passive or continuous auras. Any benefits to the group provided will be through activating her Warpriest Blessings or casting spells.
    I still have to pick a stance, I'm debating between Unholy Mirror and Cursed Mirror, AoO in PbP are a hassle, so perhaps Unholy Mirror has more synergy with offensive spells.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I still have to pick a stance, I'm debating between Unholy Mirror and Cursed Mirror, AoO in PbP are a hassle, so perhaps Unholy Mirror has more synergy with offensive spells.
    Camilla only has a couple of spells prepared that might benefit from Unholy Mirror (Chains of Light, Greater Dispel Magic), if that impacts your decision any.

19. - Top - End - #19

Imp

Henry Pascal walks around with a Darkskull, which provides a constant unhallow effect out to 40 feet of him at all times. Tied to this Unhallow effect is the spell, Death Ward, which should also provide it's bonuses to allies and enemies alike within his presence.

On top of that, he also carries with him an Eversmoking Bottle, which when activated creates a cloud of smoke out to 50 ft, which increases every round by 10 ft until it reaches a maximum of 100 ft.

Granted, he'll generally keep it corked unless it seems like a good idea to use it. If everyone has a way to see through smoke, then it might not be a bad idea to make liberal use of it, but otherwise, we'll keep it's use to the bare minimum.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Kaouse View Post
    Henry Pascal walks around with a Darkskull, which provides a constant unhallow effect out to 40 feet of him at all times. Tied to this Unhallow effect is the spell, Death Ward, which should also provide it's bonuses to allies and enemies alike within his presence.
    How'd you get the Death Ward affixed to the Unhallow?

Edit: Nevermind, was looking at the wrong edition of Darkskull. Forgot this was a Pathfinder game.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2024-02-08 at 07:21 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Oh, the historian in me needs to interject. The Nile banks were tenfold more fertile than any land in ancient Greece (and probably modern Greece too) as many of the island were rocky, and more importantly, it was really stable and predictable as the annual floods of the Nile. Cereals from Egypt were crucial for Greeks and later for the Roman Empire so we could frame it as: either we stop Sobek from screwing the food production or half the humans south of Macedonia will starve.

Close pedantic blurb....

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, the historian in me needs to interject. The Nile banks were tenfold more fertile than any land in ancient Greece (and probably modern Greece too) as many of the island were rocky, and more importantly, it was really stable and predictable as the annual floods of the Nile. Cereals from Egypt were crucial for Greeks and later for the Roman Empire so we could frame it as: either we stop Sobek from screwing the food production or half the humans south of Macedonia will starve.

Close pedantic blurb....
    I guess that just reinforces the suggestion to save the lands of the desert

Before it moves on in the IC how will folk consider getting there?
    1. Boat across the Med?
    2. Fly?
    3. Some overland travel crossing through what is now turkey?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

24. - Top - End - #24

Rocs have an 80ft Fly speed and occupy a 20ft space so a couple people could probably ride on his back.

25. - Top - End - #25

Imp

That link isn't exactly working for me. Dunno why.

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    Rocs have an 80ft Fly speed and occupy a 20ft space so a couple people could probably ride on his back.
    Dragons have 150 ft fly speed, and can also get up to Huge size via Form of the Dragon 3. It's only 15 x 15, but that should still be enough to carry the party, I would think.

26. - Top - End - #26

BlackDragon

I guess that just reinforces the suggestion to save the lands of the desert

Before it moves on in the IC how will folk consider getting there?
    1. Boat across the Med?
    2. Fly?
    3. Some overland travel crossing through what is now turkey?
    I can communal phantom steed (I imagine these reskinned as ghostly giant ravens) the whole party 100' per round/20 hours a day.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Camilla has one cast of Windwalk prepared which lets us travel 60mph for 20 hours for 1,200 total miles.

28. - Top - End - #28

Imp

Ack, polymorph fly speed caps out at 120 ft. I'd need Boots of Haste to reach 150 fly speed, and that's only for 10 rounds a day or some such.

Cerynitis does allow for a higher base speed of 180 ft though, but that's still a little shy of 20 mph.

Even if I used Hustle, Forced march, and still had a Scarlet and Green Cabochon Ioun Stone to be immune to fatigue, I don't think there's a damn thing I can do that can get me up to 60 mph.

Looks like it'll have to be Wind Walk, then.

On the plus side, this does seem like the perfect opportunity to make use of the Eversmoking bottle, since it'll hide us in a 50 ft smoke cloud while we move.

Thanks to the Goz Mask, the smoke shouldn't be a problem for him, and he has a +20 Survival check, so he should be able to easily make the DC 15 check to avoid getting lost and thereby direct the party.
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2024-02-09 at 01:14 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Wind Walk is probably the way to go but Lanharath is not going to travel in the smoke cloud or anywhere near the Darkskull.

Edit: His reason for avoiding it is personal aesthetics, basically. He finds extreme ethical alignments to be distasteful and prefers to avoid those who represent them. Just because it's the end of the world is no excuse to forgo style.
    Last edited by Chambers; 2024-02-09 at 02:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    Wind Walk is probably the way to go but Lanharath is not going to travel in the smoke cloud or anywhere near the Darkskull.

Edit: His reason for avoiding it is personal aesthetics, basically. He finds extreme ethical alignments to be distasteful and prefers to avoid those who represent them. Just because it's the end of the world is no excuse to forgo style.
    Technically, if the fog cloud has a radius of 50 ft and the unhallow effect has a radius of 40 ft, then you can be inside the smoke cloud without being inside the Unhallow effect.

But, hey, you do you. I'm only really using the Darkskull for the benefit of Death Ward. If we had access to mythic power, I'd consider trading it out for a Death Warden's Bandolier, but alas, that's not what this game is.

Henry Pascal will just fly 50 ft underneath you. That way, you still get the benefit of the smoke cloud hiding you from any viewers below, without having to suffer the indignity of being in the area.

EDIT: Also, I'm noticing that we have 2 Lawful Good guys and a Chaotic Good character in the party. I'm not entirely certain what your plan is concerning them. Are you going to refuse buffs from them as well, or just me, because I only have an ethical alignment and not a moral one?
    Last edited by Kaouse; 2024-02-09 at 03:26 PM.