Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [OOC]

Welcome to the Jungle!

I'm looking forward to running this adventure with you all. If you have any questions please let me know. If there are any things you need to tidy up on your character sheets please do so now.

My assumption is that Ignasio, Alan, and Cedrik are arriving via ship, and Karan, Thorik, and Niala are local denizens, whether of Chologadi or the surrounding jungle. If this is not the case let me know, and I'll get an initial IC post out shortly thereafter.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 | Init +10 | AC 17 T12 FF15 | Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +6 melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- summon monster I, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd- animalistic power, sonic weapon D, sound burst (DC 16 partial)
    Domain ability: piercing scream (DC 15)

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Jungle Ruins of Madaro-Shanti [OOC]

Reporting for duty! Yes, Niala lives in the jungle, but has already mingled with the civilized folk. She is somewhat secretly a bit of an ambassador for her well-hidden druid circle.

What I need to do:
    • Finish description (height, weight, ...)
    • Finish mundane equipment

I would like to request Dark Green as Niala's speech color, if that's alright?

Niala
    Spoiler: Basic Stats
    Show
    Female N Jungle Gnome Druid, Level 6, Init 2, HP 52/52.5, DR None, Speed 20ft
    AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 14, Fort 9, Ref 6, Will 9, Base Attack Bonus 4
    Leather Armor +1 (+3 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Size)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 10
    Condition None

Spoiler: Character Intro
    Show
    "The jungle is a stable ecosystem in itself. predators, prey, the food chain. If a group of animals eats an entire area or predators wipe out their food source, they starve. If this happens, the predators themselves will become extinct and their prey will spread again - and the cycle can start all over again. The jungle is balanced, it does not destroy itself from within. A flock of apes may fight each other to the death, but they do not wage war against each other. The weak are rarely nurtured and a mother may eat her young if she does not survive otherwise. Balance brings stability from which life springs.

Civilization is the enemy of the jungle. It brings imbalance. Destroys that stability. Takes life force. Hunters hunt prey, but give nothing back to the jungle. Trees are cut down to plant fields or build houses. Wherever civilization interacts with the jungle, it brings destruction - intentionally or unintentionally.

We, who call the jungle our home, must preserve it. If necessary, defend its boundaries. We do not want war. War brings profane fire and profane fire eats life. There is but one way. We must achieve peaceful coexistence. Teach civilization how the jungle's stable ecosystem can collapse due to outside interference. They call us "druids" - "the ones who know" in the old language.

But we who know and preserve, we sense that dark forces are rising, forces we do not understand, forces that threaten our balance. Civilization senses it too. Perhaps this is a time of unusual alliances, as it was predicted by the elder. Perhaps their knowledge of the dark and our knowledge of the jungle together can be the solution. They are putting together an expedition, and we will support it, if only to reduce their harm on the jungle. We will show them how to pass without disturbing, to sustain without destroying, and if possible, will learn from them how we can end the imbalance that has arisen in our midst.

You shall be tasked with this, Niala. You have interfered with them before. Have cured their sick and know their traditions more than any of us. Have taught those who were ready to learn, and have those stopped who were not."

"Yes. I shall fulfill the wish of the council. I believe that there are good between them, who are able to understand the trinity of balance, stability and life. I shall guide them and be guided, shall teach and be taught - and if required, face those dark forces with them."

Spoiler: Animal Companion Stats
    Show

Leopard (improved)

Medium Animal
    HD/HP: 7d8+14 (52.5 HP)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed 40ft, Climb 20ft
    AC 23 (+5 DEX, +5 Natural, +3 Barding), touch 15, flat footed 18
    BAB/Grapple: +5/+9
    Attack: Bite +10 (1d6+4)
    Full Attack: Bite +10 (1d6+4), 2 claws +5 (1d3+2)
    Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Pounce, Rake (Claws)
    Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Scent, Evasion, Devotion
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +11, Will +3 (Devotion)
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 21, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
    Skills: Balance +12, Climb +11, Hide +8*, Jump +11,
    Listen +8, Move Silently +8, Spot +8
    Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse, Track

*In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus improves to +8.
    Last edited by Niobaran; 2020-05-20 at 04:53 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Great. Karan is local, probably knows Niala from before but he most likely never spoke to her. He is an awkward guy.

I have done some changes, I picked a martial maneuver and a stance from setting sun as both fit the mistical aura of Karan and I had refrain from stepping in the warblade/swordsage idea. But since the OP left I think they fit the switch-ranger idea better than deadly aim.

picking my usual teal for speech

4. - Top - End - #4

OrcBarbarianGuy

Welcome folks.

Re speech...as long as you make it clear when your character is speaking, I am ambivalent whether you use a color or just quotation marks. Either is perfectly fine by me.
    Dergosh the Loud M Half-Orc Clr 3/Bar 1 | HP: 38 | Init +10 | AC 17 T12 FF15 | Fort +7 Ref +3 Will +6 | Listen +1, Spot +4 | ATK +6 melee 1d8+3/x2, +5 ranged 1d6+3/x2 | Cleric Spells: 0--guidance, guidance, light, resistance; 1st- summon monster I, cause fear (DC 15), sonic blast D (DC 15), resurgence; 2nd- animalistic power, sonic weapon D, sound burst (DC 16 partial)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

I don't think I have many changes to make, I should probably actually pick mundane stuff I guess instead of just being like ehhh 30g is enough for some shiny stuff.

I'm still new to this and so I've never picked a colour before.

I guess purple?
    Last edited by Stepfan; 2020-04-13 at 09:39 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Thorik is mostly complete, I still need to do some work on gear (barbarians and their magic item limits!) and double check his skill points and any bonus/penalties.

Yes, he is from a small dwarven clan in the surrounding jungle, but visits the town often to work with those seeking passage into the wilderness. He could easily have met either of Karan or Niala, though he'd be more likely to have cooperated with Karan.

He will speak in Dark Orange

Thorik Harthur
    Spoiler: Basic Stats
    Show
    Male CG Jungle Dwarf Rgr/Brb/Ftr/DW, Level 6, Init 1, HP 66/66, DR None, Speed 30ft
    AC 17, Touch 12, Flat-footed 16, Fort 10, Ref 6, Will 9, Base Attack Bonus 6
    MW Breastplate Armor (+5 Armor, +1 Dex, +1 Ring)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 18, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 8
    Condition None

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    "Blast, that's the third failed trip in a fortnight", Thorik grumbled to himself as he returned to his clan's enclave in the jungle. Already surly by nature, the repeated failed attempts to guide expeditions of merchants, hunters, and other Chologadians into the jungle put him in a particularly foul mood. This last trip in particular should have been an easy gig, with a promised handsome bonus for helping a merchant group find some rare plants for export, but the growing dark clouds made even simple journeys impossible.

He needed guidance, as he knew not the source of the disturbance, and none of his contacts in Chologadia seemed to have any idea, they were all just racing to complete their business before things got worse. Returning to his clan's settlement, he sought out Durgan, one of the clan elders, who he hoped could provide some information.

After emerging from a meeting, Durgan spoke to him: "Thorik, we have only heard rumors of this dark phenomenon, but this is something we've not seen before. Our loremasters cannot discover the cause, but the clan is concerned, as this could threaten us all. You're one of our best guides, and have many contacts in town. Return there and seek out any others who are attempting to confront this problem."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Hi all, happy to be here. And so is Ignasio (who really prefers that you address him with his full name!)
    I believe that character sheet is all done unless some mistakes are spotted, I never played spell casters before so this is completely possible.

@Mercurion: do you require a complete list of mundane items or do we just roleplay it within reason? Are you counting food/ water rations and such? Any limitations there? As Ignasio is the favorit son of a filthy rich merchant, can I assume limitless amount of money for oil flasks and torches? 😊

In way of introduction: My name is Dan and I am a 50+ father of two from Israel. I started playing at age 15 and my first DND books came out of a red cardboard box (yes, that one). I have been mostly DMing ever since but every once in a while take a shot as a player on PBEM. Feels weird to be on the other side…..
    As English is not my first language I do apologise in advance for any spelling or grammar mistakes, please bear with me.
    I am choosing to go with old fashion quote signs, but if everybody else go for colours so will I. I understand that this is the standard of the giantitp forum.
    Happy gaming all,
    Dan
    Last edited by Koral; 2020-04-14 at 12:48 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8

HalflingRangerGuy

I changed somethings about Cederick. I removed the Practised Spellcaster feat in favour of the Fell Conspiracy feat (which was just too Vecna not to take) and I took the Magical Knack trait to keep my caster level close to my character level (the explanation being that while learning the ways of the Warlock from Vecna, he did not neglect my clerical studies.)

I will speak in Red for both Cederick and Jacob (my parrot familiar).
    Remember: Offence is taken, not given

Play-by-Post Characters:

Sir Balduin of Buckwood (OOC | IC)
    High Priest Azrael (OOC | IC)

9. - Top - End - #9

I just realized I did not pick any pathfinder traits. Will do...

10. - Top - End - #10

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Koral View Post
    Hi all, happy to be here. And so is Ignasio (who really prefers that you address him with his full name!)
    I believe that character sheet is all done unless some mistakes are spotted, I never played spell casters before so this is completely possible.

@Mercurion: do you require a complete list of mundane items or do we just roleplay it within reason? Are you counting food/ water rations and such? Any limitations there? As Ignasio is the favorit son of a filthy rich merchant, can I assume limitless amount of money for oil flasks and torches? 😊

In way of introduction: My name is Dan and I am a 50+ father of two from Israel. I started playing at age 15 and my first DND books came out of a red cardboard box (yes, that one). I have been mostly DMing ever since but every once in a while take a shot as a player on PBEM. Feels weird to be on the other side…..
    As English is not my first language I do apologise in advance for any spelling or grammar mistakes, please bear with me.
    I am choosing to go with old fashion quote signs, but if everybody else go for colours so will I. I understand that this is the standard of the giantitp forum.
    Happy gaming all,
    Dan
    Mundane items have to be accounted for within your starting gp limit. The *amount* available is effectively unlimited, just be reasonable about what your character can carry, but of course pack animals can alleviate that issue as well.

Water & rations -- definitely am NOT tracking such things. You are all experienced adventurers and can be assumed to procure such things as needed. No need for that bookkeeping.

>I have been mostly DMing ever since but every once in a while take a shot as a player on PBEM.

Hold on, hold on, hold: this is news to me! How can one get into one of these games?? :)

Full disclosure everyone, Dan and I have been playing online together for...well, more years than either of us would like to admit. But the DMing responsibilities have been decidedly one-sided. Heh.

OK, as a few people are putting finishing touches on their characters I'll give it another 12 hours or so and then kick us off with an initial post. I'll probably grab the three characters on the incoming ship and post from their perspective, but we'll get everyone involved quickly.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Since multiple people have mentioned mundane equipment, I have a google sheet that I made to pick basic items from the PHB, and calculate costs and weight. I need to make a few simple updates to make it a template, not specific to the last character I built, but I could share that if others want it.

Hoping the security settings are right, I would recommend making a copy if you want to use this. Fill out the blue column at right.

3.5 gear template
    Last edited by Goby; 2020-04-14 at 11:45 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

OrcBarbarianGuy

Thanks for that, Goby.

OK, once you have your character sheet complete, can you post a link in this thread for future reference?

I'll have a kick-off post out a bit later today. EDIT: It's out! Have at it.
    Last edited by Mercurion 2; 2020-04-15 at 12:59 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Goby View Post
    Since multiple people have mentioned mundane equipment, I have a google sheet that I made to pick basic items from the PHB, and calculate costs and weight. I need to make a few simple updates to make it a template, not specific to the last character I built, but I could share that if others want it.

Hoping the security settings are right, I would recommend making a copy if you want to use this. Fill out the blue column at right.

3.5 gear template
    You are a life saver Goby, thank you.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Thank you Goby.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what to post since it seems like my backstory submission goes right after that intro lol.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Goby View Post

3.5 gear template
    Thanks a lot! I had similar tables years ago, but they vanished on old HDD together with the remnants of easier times. No, seriously, thanks a lot. I am good to go now.

16. - Top - End - #16

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stepfan View Post
    Thank you Goby.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what to post since it seems like my backstory submission goes right after that intro lol.
    Agreed! I think you can go ahead and (re)post that.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Glad the template helped people, I almost forgot about it. I have a different sheet that I use for the big stuff, magic items and such, so I don't have to remember all my favorite items every time. I should combine them into one list.

Thorik's sheet has been updated, I finished my gear, and corrected some skill point issues.

Here's the table from the recruit thread, so we have a link to everyone.

Player Name Character Name Role
    Auranghzeb Karan NG Half Orc Ranger
    Nbioran Niala TN Gnome Druid
    Stepfan Alan Robinson LE Human Shadowcaster
    Koral Ignacio Fluentio de San Christobal Guanahato TN Human Sorcerer
    A.A. King Cederick Silverton NE Human Cloistered Cleric 3/Warlock 2/Eldritch Disciple 1
    Goby Thorik Harthur CG Dwarf Barbarian 2/Ranger 1/Fighter 2/Deepwarden 1

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

i still need to find a trait for karan, there's nothing i see fitting. If anyone has a tip i'll appreciate it.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    i still need to find a trait for karan, there's nothing i see fitting. If anyone has a tip i'll appreciate it.
    You are aware of this thing?
    http://www.d20pfsrdcompanion.com/traits

Generally, I like things that give you either unique, if tiny abilities, or allow you to get you a new class skill to play something usually difficult to make. Like, dunno, a bluffing ranger.

20. - Top - End - #20

OrcBarbarianGuy

Is Alan planning on shadowing (ha!) Thorik and Cederick? I haven't responded with anything specific for him since he slipped into the crowd, but want to make sure he isn't being ignored.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

He is. He's trying to find people to venture into the darkness with, but would probably follow along for now and try to slip into the meeting.

I will try to make a post to that effect IC tomorrow when I wake up. Sorry I work weekends and its finals week.
    Last edited by Stepfan; 2020-04-20 at 12:26 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

OrcBarbarianGuy

No worries, I wasn't rushing you, just amking sure your character is included.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Oh no problem, I just don't want to hold everyone up and wanted to give reason being my slower response for the next little bit.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Wait is Ignacio in the council chamber or not? I'm a little confused lol

25. - Top - End - #25

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Stepfan View Post
    Wait is Ignacio in the council chamber or not? I'm a little confused lol
    Yes, it seems he took a detour. So, per my OOC per in the IC thread, I am going to assume he took this side trip before arriving at the Council Hall. So effectively he is in two places at once and we'll treat his side trip as a backpost.

Hopefully that isn't too confusing, but if anyone needs clarification please let me know.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sorry for the confusion, I somehow missed the post regarding Ignasio and just assumed that he will join the group later, posting now to align to the thread.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Though I really appreciate the creativity of your posts, I feel that perhaps they are too creative or at least not completely responsive to what the DM is posting.

That is indeed confusing.

Similarly, If anyone feels Karan is not doing enough, tell me, I just don't usually go off the rails too much and may look passive.

Having grown up in Mexico I find the Guanajuato Cartel hilarious though.

28. - Top - End - #28

@Mercurion 2: As you asked for it in the IC, I had put the stats for the leopard into my intro post in this thread (see below). I'm good with the gender of the leopard. I do need to pin down his tricks, though, sorry, I did not do this yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Niobaran View Post
    Spoiler: Animal Companion Stats
    Show

Leopard (improved)

HD/HP: 7d8+14 (52.5 HP)
    Initiative: +5
    Speed 40ft, Climb 20ft
    AC 23 (+5 DEX, +5 Natural, +3 Barding), touch 15, flat footed 18
    BAB/Grapple: +5/+9
    Attack: Bite +10 (1d6+4)
    Full Attack: Bite +10 (1d6+4), 2 claws +5 (1d3+2)
    Special Attacks: Improved Grab, Pounce, Rake (Claws)
    Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Scent, Evasion, Devotion
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +11, Will +3 (Devotion)
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 21, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
    Skills: Balance +12, Climb +11, Hide +8*, Jump +11,
    Listen +8, Move Silently +8, Spot +8
    Feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse, Track

*In areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth, the Hide bonus improves to +8.
    Last edited by Niobaran; 2020-04-22 at 02:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'll give it another 24 hours or so for those waiting in the Council Hall to interact with one another and then I'll move us along.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurion 2 View Post
    I'll give it another 24 hours or so for those waiting in the Council Hall to interact with one another and then I'll move us along.
    Great, I was worried this was yet another prematurely ended game.