Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default [OOC] Adventures of the Tylosians

In the land of Zeral in the secret village of Ithys live the Tylosians. These are some of their adventures.

IC channel: Adventures of the Tylosians

Discord Server: D&D Tylosians

Spoiler: Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?

D&D 5e.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

The first adventure will be a wilderness survival exercise, after that the game will be similar to a West Marches style game, a series of short unrelated adventures with no main story arc. Once we finish the first adventure everytime the group returns to base you can swap out characters if you want.

I have a list of several adventures roughed out but I will try to do some custom tailored adventures for individual characters as well. This will be my first time trying to write for specific characters so there may be some bumps along the way.

If somebody is up to it, we might even swap GMs on occasion so I have a chance to play.

Homebrew setting. See following post for more info.

3. How many players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?

4-5 players.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?

IC and OOC here on Giant with a Discord chat.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

Level 1, Milestone leveling.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?

For the first adventure you begin with a dagger, one item from your classes starting equipment, and a simple pack (an empty sack with a shoulder strap).

Characters made after the initial adventure is finished will start with standard starting equipment or a pile of gold to work with, TBD.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?

See number 16.

Blood Hunter as listed here: https://www.dndbeyond.com/classes/blood-hunter is allowed.

UA revised ranger is allowed.

UA Mystic is not allowed.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?

Most playable humanoid races are not inherently evil.

Aasimar and Tieflings do not exist in this setting as there are no angels or demons. If you want to play the setting equivalent let me know.

Onikin
    Onikin have one to three horns, their skin may be any number of colors; red, blue, and green are particularly common. Occasionally they may have a third eye in the center of their forehead.
    Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by 1, and your Charisma score increases by 2.
    Age: Onikin mature at the same rate as humans but live a few years longer.
    Size: Onikin are about the same size and build as humans. Your size is Medium.
    Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
    Darkvision: You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You canít discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
    Oni Legacy: You know the thaumaturgy cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the hellish rebuke spell as a 2nd-level spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. When you reach 5th level, you can cast the darkness spell once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a long rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
    Languages: You can speak, read, and write Common and Oni.

Choose one of the following:
    Weapon Training: You have proficiency with the Flail, Mace, and Morningstar.
    Stealthy: You have proficiency in stealth, you can hide as a bonus action on your turn.
    Third Eye: You have proficiency in perception, add 1d4 to all sight based perception checks.

Dragonborn have Darkvision 60 ft and tails.
    Dragonborn that have a metallic ancestry have +1 to Wisdom instead of Charisma.

Drow are Night Elves

Half-elf's mental ability score increases changes to reflect their elvish ancestry.
    Half high elf: +2 to int and +1 to two other stats.
    Half wood elf: +2 to wiz and +1 to two other stats.
    Half night elf: +2 to cha and +1 to two other stats.

Homebrew races will be considered on a case by case basis subject to compatibility with the setting. Please keep things reasonable.

Adlet and Faen are available.

9. By what method should players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?

Roll 4d6b3 nine times on a grid like so:

Intelligence Wisdom Charisma
    Strength 4d6b3 4d6b3 4d6b3
    Dexterity 4d6b3 4d6b3 4d6b3
    Constitution 4d6b3 4d6b3 4d6b3

Physical stats can be any number in their respective row, mental stats can be any number in their respective column. Each number can only be used once. You do not need to make a table if you do not want to. I tested the dice roller and it worked in a table.

If you do not want to roll, or do not like the roll you got, you can use the Mythweavers point buy calculator. You get 16 points under the Pathfinder option or 28 points under the D&D 5e option. The Pathfinder option allows for a broader range of scores, lower dump stat and higher good stat.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?

Please refrain from making murder-hobos and/or kleptomaniacs.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?

RAW

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?

Players can use the forum roller or Discord dice bot to make their own rolls for attacks and skill checks when appropriate. Rolls on the IC thread should be placed in spoilers. If there is a typo on the IC thread causing the forum roller to not work, move to the OOC thread or Discord and leave a note so I know what the roll is for.

If you are not sure which roll is required for a given situation, or you do not want to mess with the forum roller, just say so and I will make the relevant rolls and post the results.

I intend on making all GM rolls with physical dice because they are faster than the forum roller, are not subject to typos, GM Screen, and I like my clacky math rocks.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

Optional flanking rules are in effect.

Revised crafting rules.

The Wanderer background feature will be suspended for the first adventure.

Feel free to make minor adjustments and/or reflavor the backgrounds.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?

For this first opening adventure you are all Tylosians about to enter adulthood. A paragraph or a list of 5 bullet points will do for now.

Later you can use the 10 minute backstory format and I will attempt to come up with adventures that tie into backstories.

I would like to try to implement a game mechanic drawn from another system (M&M), Complications. This is my first time GMing with these so we will see how well they work out. I might need reminders on occasion.

Complications range from physical disabilities or personal issues to unusual vulnerabilities. If a complication happens in the game, and you respond by going along with it then you may earn a point of inspiration. These points of inspiration expire when a character completes a long rest. I would like each character to have at least one complication at the start of the game, however you can have more if you want. As the game progresses, the character's complications can change. Here are some examples, you can also make up your own.

Spoiler: Complication Examples
    Show
    Addiction: You need something, whether for physical or psychological reasons. Youíll go out of your way to satisfy your addiction, and being unable to satisfy it may lead to other complications, either involving your own faculties or your relationships with people.

Hatred: You have an irrational hatred of something, leading you to actively oppose the object of your dislike in some way, no matter the consequences. Complications involving your hatred tend to overwhelm your better judgment.

Honor: You have a strong personal code of honor. Generally this means you wonít take unfair advantage of opponents or use trickery, but you can define the exact terms of your code with the GM. Your honor becomes a complication when it puts you in a bind or on the horns of a moral dilemma.

Obsession: Youíre obsessed with a particular subject and pursue it to the exclusion of all else.

Phobia: Youíre irrationally afraid of something. When confronted with it you have to fight to control your fear, causing you to hesitate, flee, or act irrationally.

Power Loss: Certain circumstances cause some or all of your powers to fail or stop working, or rob you of them altogether. You might depend on particular objects others can steal or take from you, or lose your powers during the dark of the moon, or when exposed to exotic magic. You may even simply lose faith in yourself, resulting in temporary weakness. When this happens, and poses a challenge for you, your complication comes into play.

Prejudice: You are part of a minority group subject to the prejudices of others, which create problems. Similarly, characters with unusual origins or appearance might face prejudice, such as a demonic-looking tiefling who is considered suspect.

Responsibility: You have various demands on your time and attention. Responsibilities include family obligations, professional duties, and similar things. Failing to live up to your responsibilities can mean loss of relationships, employment, and other problems.

Rivalry: You feel a strong sense of competition with a person or group and have to do your best to outdo your rival at every opportunity.

Temper: Certain things just set you off. When you lose your temper you lash out at whatever provoked you.

Weakness: Some things can hurt you, badly. You might have a weakness that overcomes your normally strong defenses, like a werewolf is vulnerable to silver, or you may suffer harm from things that are harmless to others, from water to cold iron or exotic energies or materials. You and the GM can discuss common effects beforehand and it is up to the GM to decide what happens when the particular weakness comes into play. When the GM uses your weakness against you, itís a complication.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, role playing, or a combination of the above?

Hack & slash, role playing, possibly some mystery.

A puzzle might make its way in on occasion.

16. Are your players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can players use for their characters?

All official published books are allowed.

I will consider UA, homebrew, and 3rd party content on a limited basis. A new archetype is the upper limit, an entire homebrew class is too much. Please ask first.

Please limit yourselves to only one UA, 3rd party, or Homebrew bit of content per character.

I do not have the contents of every book memorized, if you use something from outside of the core book please note where it is from in case I need to look it up.
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2021-04-12 at 11:50 PM.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

2. - Top - End - #2

DrowGirl

Default Re: [OOC] Adventures of the Tylosians

Ancient Lore of Prelesha
    - In the beginning the Protigonus were driven from a distant sphere in the prime material plane by a coalition of angles and devils.
    - The Protigonus made Prelesha and brought from the far spheres the elder races: Dragons, Fey, Oni, and Titans.
    - The great spirits were formed from the dreams of the elder races.
    - With the combined power of the great spirits and the elder races the Protigonus were broken and banished to the elemental planes.
    - From the Dragons come the dragonborn, lizardfolk, and kobolds
    - From the Fey come the elves, gnomes, and fean.
    - From the Oni come ogres, orcs, and goblins.
    - From the Titans come giants, goliaths, and dwarves.
    - From the great spirits come the anthropomorphic races.
    - Humans and halflings come from a mixing of the bloodlines of the Fey, Oni, and Titans.
    - Arcane magic was taught by Dragons, Natural magic was taught by the Fey, Divine magic was taught by the Oni.
    - Most members of the elder races retreated to the spirit dimension of Prelesha though many still remain on the planet.

Spoiler: Great Spirits
    Show
    Arasdoronen
    The spirit of woodlands appears as an elk with antlers that are branches of an oak tree adorned with leaves that change with the seasons and green fur that looks like coarse moss.
    Domains: Forest, Life, and Nature.
    Alignment: NG
    Favored damage type: Piercing/Slashing

Grohtgeit
    The spirit of the mountains appears as a mountain goat made of stone with the orange glow of molten rock seeping out the cracks and horns of uncut diamond.
    Domains: Mountain, Protection, and Forge.
    Alignment: LG
    Favored damage type: Bludgeoning

Matatabi
    The spirit of the plains is a cat. When it is happy the fur is soft and white, but when it is angry the fur is black like rolling thunder clouds.
    Domains: Grasslands, Tempest, and War.
    Alignment: CG
    Favored damage type: Thunder/Lightning

Avroninko
    The spirit of the arctic is a fox with fur that glistens like the aurora borealis.
    Domains: Arctic, Trickery, and Death.
    Alignment: CN
    Favored damage type: Cold

Iyanrinde
    The spirit of the desert is a beetle composed of sand.
    Domains: Desert, Light, and Death.
    Alignment: CE
    Favored damage type: Fire

Annenzi
    The spirit of dark places is a spider coated with fluorescent fungus.
    Domains: Underdark, Grave, and City.
    Alignment: LE
    Favored damage type: Necrotic

Phoenix
    The spirit of the sun and the day is a soaring hawk with everburning burning plumage.
    Domains: Sun, Light, and Knowledge.
    Alignment: NN
    Favored damage type: Radiant

Argyros
    The spirit of the moon and the night is an owl with a large round face and feathers that look like they are made of frost.
    Domains: Moon, Darkness, and Arcana.
    Alignment: NN
    Favored damage type: Psychic

Akupara
    The spirit of the calm seas is a turtle so large that trees grow on itís back. It is frequently mistaken for an Island.
    Domains: Coast, Protection, Life, Nature, and Knowledge.
    Alignment: LN
    Favored damage type: Force

Kraken
    The spirit of the stormy seas is a mighty squid with tentacles of kelp.
    Domains: Swamp, Death, Grave, and Tempest.
    Alignment: NE
    Favored damage type: Acid/Poison

The Code of the Tylosians
    Courage faces the enemy.
    Strength wins the day.
    Discipline holds the line.
    Perseverance brings down walls.
    Honesty drives out weakness.
    Honor shows the way.
    Loyalty is the reason.
    Generosity fills the halls.
    I keep the code til my last breath.
    The clan sings my name, long past death.

History of the Tylosians
    Long ago on the island of Tylos, there was a clan of great warriors. The Tylosians were widely known to be some of the greatest fighters in the world. They maintained this standing through the disciplined dedication to live and die by a shared code of honor. As the Tylosians grew in both skill and notoriety, they reached a point where some thought themselves to be invincible. So great was their pride that they pronounced that they were mightier than even the great spirits and challenged them to a fight. The spirits grew so angry with the arrogance of the clan, they had the great Kraken to pull the island of Tylos into the sea. Such was the hubris of the clan that there was no evacuation. Thus, the famed warrior clan of Tylos perished in the sea, leaving no structure or landmark to remember their greatness nor folly. However, the clan was survived by warriors traveling abroad on campaign during the disaster. As the remnants of the clan returned home to proclaim their victories, they found only open water and red skies where Tylos once stood. The survivors gathered together as best they could, and returned to the mainland as the last of their kind. With no place to call home, they became the Tylosian nomads; the shadow of a once great civilization remembered only by its code of honor.

As nomadic warriors, they wandered the world with only one skill to trade, their sword arms. Although doomed to never reach the levels of greatness of their ancestors, they once again grew to renown as soldiers of fortune. Now mercenaries wandering from one war torn land to the next, the Tylosians lived on. Swearing to uphold the ancient code in order to become one of the famed clan, many joined their numbers during their travels, and their ranks grew in number and diversity.

Finally, King Elwic of Zeral called upon the warriors from his deathbed in a desperate final act of vengeance. His last request was to vanquish his hated enemy, the barbarian tribes that had razed his small kingdom to the ground with violence and disease. For this, the King offered them the only thing he had left to give for their services, the lands of his destroyed kingdom. The Tylosians gave their word upon their code of honor, and brutally disposed of the invaders. After burying the King and collecting what little surviving populace remained, the Tylosians gave up the nomadic life to settle in Zeral, founding the secret village of Ithys, named after a legendary hero that helped write the code that led them to this land.

Misc Notes
    - In this age the Tylosians are bound by their code more them by race or family. As such they are a very diverse group.
    - It has been several human generations since the founding of Ithys. There are only a few elders of long lived races that still remember the nomadic lifestyle.
    - Orphans adopted into the Tylosians are referred to as foundlings.

NPCs
    Here are some of the NPCís that live in, or around Ithys.
    Brogo, Village Commander, minotaur
    Ingrem, Village Elder, a grumpy old dwarf
    Ninki, Village Elder, a sensible night elf lady
    Amall, Village Elder, a jolly firbolg
    Torvald the Blacksmith, goliath
    Urdur (human) and Elyn (half-elf) the Innkeepers, Son: Varre
    Erig the Butcher, orc
    Cyney the Fishmonger, lizardfolk
    Pinard the Baker, halfling
    Zanna the Herbalist, gnome
    Tomas the Leatherworker, goblin
    Lera the Potter, dragonborn
    Nioso the Healer, tabaxi
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2021-04-12 at 11:43 PM.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

3. - Top - End - #3

DrowGirl

Player Character Race Class
    Bobthewizard Zale Akai Faen Warlock
    Archemist Toru Torvaldson Goliath Artificer
    Valmark Serenity Mauy Human Ranger
    GMPC Alara Raydawn Wood Elf Druid
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2021-04-13 at 12:04 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Thanks for the invitation Izzarra. I'm excited for this adventure!

Zale will speak in Purple

Here's his application.

As far as friendships, I think Lleu would be Zale's best way to connect to the party. Servbot, perhaps our parents are friends. When Zale came to Zeral, he stayed with you and your family. We bonded and decided together to join the Tylosians. We don't know each other very long, but we get along. We're both Fey, and we both want to prove our parents wrong.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-10-25 at 01:28 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Toru's heart swells with pride at being chosen to undergo the trials.

Here's the character sheet for Toru, and he'll speak in Medium Blue.

My original post was light on detail other than that he'd be the son of the blacksmith Torvald, and good at making things. I gave him a suit of armor as the "one other thing" and I'm thinking it'd be one he crafted himself while learning the trade from his father.

Since he's an artificer he does have a magical talent, but I haven't yet figured out what he might make, and the spells I gave him were just the basic elements - fire, cold, grease. I figure he's still working it out, too. Similarly, we'll say his family worships Grohtgeit, so he does too, but he's open-minded. Grohtgeit is kinda metal, sure, but Toru isn't that intense of a teen, really. The Tylosian code is much more inspiring.

As far as the other characters go, I see Toru being most similar to Evarius (maybe they played hockey together?) or Lleu, since he is another "local." Librarians and blacksmiths hanging out? Let me know if you have ideas.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2020-10-27 at 11:31 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hey good to be in the game.

Hadwyn will speak in grey

Hadwyn's character sheet:

https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2301403
    Last edited by Jumbus; 2020-10-25 at 03:10 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Serenity Mauy will speak in red, then.
    I won an argument with my GM -15/08/2017- (20:32 GMT +1)

Want to try a WereWolf or Mafia game? Do you already know it and want to play it? Nothing currently recruiting.

8. - Top - End - #8

Lleu Vrumugun[/url] and if itís all the same to you, Iíll avail myself of green for speech or something.
    Last edited by Servbot; 2020-10-27 at 12:50 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Here's what's left. What do you all think?

I'm leaning towards the rope and grappling hook (climbing), twine (tying things together), the mess kit (cooking), and the tarp (shelter, would need rope or twine). Does anyone have something else they really want? Any other ideas? I'm open.

- Handaxe
    - Light Hammer
    - Shovel (can be wielded as a greatclub)
    - Crowbar (can be wielded as a mace)
    - Handsaw
    - Net
    - Shield
    - Spell component pouch
    - 100 ft rope w/ grappling hook
    - 500 ft twine
    - Mess kit w/ very basic cooking utensils (includes a knife that can be used as a dagger)

- 2 days rations for one person
    - Healerís Kit
    - Blanket
    - Bedroll
    - Waxed Canvas Tarp 10 ft x 10 ft
    - Hooded Lantern, Flask of oil, and Tinderbox

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, uhm, I went and picked the healer's kit but I can edit that out. And I forgot the artefice gets to create kits at level 3, not 1, so we do need a mess kit.

Yeah, I'll edit the mess kit in instead of healer's, though I'd still prefer if somebody picked it.

I feel like we could probably make do without the tarp, though I'd definitely take the rope if possible.

EDIT: Actually, I kinda want to make sure we know what Toru's tools can be used for before picking any kit.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-10-27 at 08:23 PM.

Want to try a WereWolf or Mafia game? Do you already know it and want to play it? Nothing currently recruiting.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    I feel like we could probably make do without the tarp, though I'd definitely take the rope if possible.
    I don't know anything about D&D rules for survival. Real world, we'd need shelter, water, and food. I think eldritch blast and ray of frost should work well for hunting game. Going up a snowy mountain above a lake, streams will be plentiful, so no need for waterskins, hence the tarp and rope.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-10-27 at 08:34 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Toru probably won't get the ability to just whip stuff out of thin air - sounds like we'll have to think about materials and such. The kit is described as having a bunch of small tools, needle-and-thread, a few leather scraps/patches, and some glue. Plenty useful, hopefully.

Seconded that tarps and poles can be also quite useful, btw.

Do any of us have proficiency with the Healer's kit? I'm not sure we do, or a proper "Medicine"-trained individual. I think Toru may be the only one who can cast Cure Wounds, as it is, also.

Although Toru can also cast purify food and drink, so, he can be one of the cooks.

For his item, he was debating between the shovel, or rope-and-hook. Mess kit could work, as a gesture of team-player-spirit, and he could always go the pot-helmet route.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2020-10-27 at 08:53 PM.
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor Hardin

13. - Top - End - #13

DrowGirl

Actually, I kinda want to make sure we know what Toru's tools can be used for before picking any kit.
    While having proper tools for the job is always a good thing. If you have a logical argument for making something using only a dagger then you can make the thing with only a dagger.

For example a basic mace can be crafted from a broken branch with only a dagger. All you are doing is carving a grip so you do not get blisters.

Some things that you make might not be as effective as what you could buy. A spear with a fire hardened tip would deal 1d4, versatile 1d6.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archemist View Post
    Do any of us have proficiency with the Healer's kit? I'm not sure we do, or a proper "Medicine"-trained individual. I think Toru may be the only one who can cast Cure Wounds, as it is, also.
    That's the point- healer's kits don't need proficiency, they allow you to pass the medicine check to stabilize people in automatic.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

That's the point- healer's kits don't need proficiency, they allow you to pass the medicine check to stabilize people in automatic.
    Ah, I hadn't realized. That'd be good then.
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor Hardin

16. - Top - End - #16

Oh, I uh, grabbed the waterpouch, not realising we were conducting OOC here... I'll be happy to edit it out for something else, if people think there's more useful stuff than water? (Bad memories of a campaign for water...)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Servbot View Post
    Oh, I uh, grabbed the waterpouch, not realising we were conducting OOC here... I'll be happy to edit it out for something else, if people think there's more useful stuff than water? (Bad memories of a campaign for water...)
    Yes, it was a bit confusing for me too when people were half discussing it in here and half on Discord.

I don't think a waterskin will be terribly good to have given that there's five of us and a single one would need to be filled ten times for us all to drink enough.

Especially because we need to boil it to clean it from any impurities (and also filter it).

Just to be on the safe side I'd take the rope with hook which we seemed to agree in general on taking. There's also the healer's kit or the twine or waxed tarp (I honestly have no idea how to use the last one, but they say we can use it for shelter if we have rope and twine).

18. - Top - End - #18

Iíll edit for the healerís kit, which seems more Lleu-like to take.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Especially because we need to boil it to clean it from any impurities (and also filter it).

Just to be on the safe side I'd take the rope with hook which we seemed to agree in general on taking. There's also the healer's kit or the twine or waxed tarp (I honestly have no idea how to use the last one, but they say we can use it for shelter if we have rope and twine).
    There's no need to boil and filter water in a preindustrial mountain environment. Drinking right from the stream is fine as long as you aren't right below any large herds of livestock.

A tarp makes a better, more stable shelter than a tent. I go backpacking 2-3 times per year with just a nylon 5'x8' tarp. To use the least amount of rope with a square tarp, you tie the middle opposite ends to trees, then stake out the corners to the ground making an A-frame. Or for better protection, tie one corner to a tree and the other 3 corners to the ground. Light a campfire just outside the open end and you don't need sleeping bags or furs.

We can make shelters out of layered pine branches if we need to, it just takes a little longer. Depending on the type of pine tree, you might be able to just sleep under it. Many types of pine trees prevent the buildup of snow at their bases.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Where do we get the stakes? Can we fashion them from branches?

Isn't there still stuff like bacteria and the like that is naturally present in water found in nature?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Where do we get the stakes? Can we fashion them from branches?

Isn't there still stuff like bacteria and the like that is naturally present in water found in nature?
    Stakes can be whittled from sticks. In a pine forest, you can likely find suitable sticks with no real whittling required.

Bacteria and giardia come from large livestock herds. Even today, water in high mountains is perfectly fine to drink. To be cautious, you avoid still water with algae growing on it, but the faster moving water is fine.

22. - Top - End - #22

DrowGirl

I suppose we should make a decision. Who is comfortable with a GMPC because that is what Alara Raydawn will be.

Out of all of the participants she is the only one that is actually built because I grabbed a character I made, but have never had a chance to play, and put her on the list to cut down on work. She actually has a 3 page backstory, the longest backstory I have ever written for a character.

The pro's are that I can use her as a convenient way to drop setting information and on occasion hints in character. Also it gives me the ability to do some role playing during dungeon dives and treks through the wilderness where the GM is usually doing nothing but combat. The cons are well, GMPC there is much debate on the subject.

In character she does not have any reason to refuse the offer, but out of character I was trying to avoid adding a GMPC onto the group because I know that some people might oppose it.
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2020-10-31 at 11:35 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

I have never and will never oppose GMPCs. Or at least when I trust the GM in question enough. They are both useful and can be cool.

Plus I am the kind of person that always got cohorts in 3.5, I can't refuse npcs in the party.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Yeah I'm fine with a GMPC - the worry is always that they will steal thunder from a PC if they overlap skills a lot, but so long as Serenity and Alara are contributing in different ways it seems reasonable. A little supplemental healing would not be amiss, though, since I'd kinda been thinking I'd need to be reserving my spell slots for Cure Wounds, just in case.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lizardfolk

On the GMPC matter, I am in support of it. But I will add on extra to be careful they don't overshadow PCs especially in a narrative sense. I am particularly concerned because 3 pages of backstory is quite a bit when compared to the smaller style backstories the rest of our characters have. But if it is someone who isn't going to hog the narrative spotlight, I am all for them.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I like playing alongside DMNPCs and I use them when I DM. As others have said, the key, and I trust you with this, is to make sure they don't do much roleplaying with the world, leaving that to the PCs. They should be interacting primarily with us. Otherwise, they are a good way to give us information and to fill any holes in the party for combat. Especially a party that might be light on healing. Adding a druid or cleric who focuses on healing can help keep things moving in a party that otherwise would need to take more rests.

Otherwise, I really enjoy interacting with friendly NPCs in downtime.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    They should be interacting primarily with us.
    Thatís a great way to frame the issue. In PbP itís easier to forgive, but IRL itís especially noticeable when GMs start talking to themselves and/or doing a lot of die-rolling on both sides of a combat. One egregious combat in an IRL campaign was over before a PC had gotten a turn.

28. - Top - End - #28

I don't really mind GMPCs. Go ahead. Besides, we all know the true culprit is Zale's obsessive "Invite All The People" :^)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Hey, if they don't carry their weight and help us, we can always eat them.

Edit: looked up Zale's alignment. That's not going to work.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-11-01 at 07:07 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

DrowGirl

While Alara does have a big backstory half of it is a few conversations she had with her mentor that I wrote up as prep for a game that died in recruiting. There is only one plot hook written in and it is easy enough to simply ignore it. Or as I mentioned in the Big 16, I could step down as GM for a little bit and somebody else can run the game for that story arc.

I will select support spells and roll her initiatives with disadvantage so she does not take center stage in combat. She will only talk to other NPC's as a way of conveying information I feel is important to all of you, this will probably not happen too often. If I am going to write both sides of a conversation, I might as well go back to working on my movie script.