New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: DrK Way of Wicked Take 2 IC

Ahkmathi Sek, Elven Conjurist

Ahkmathi watched with disdain as his companion displayed his loyalty to the cause in brutal fashion. Where he had been saddled with one large monster, now the mage had a second, smaller one. Both were certainly useful, and masterful in their visitation of violence upon their foes. But sometimes, he wished they could be a little more elegant about it, even if subtlety wasn't a possibility. Here, on the edge of the world, their chaotic frenzies were acceptable, even welcome. But once they were truly on their mission, a delicate hand would be needed.

When the bugbear turned his eyes to Ahkmathi as Stvari and Oghash shared a moment over 'meat' the elf simply gave a cold smile. ”Pardon my correction, Sakkarot, but you are incorrect. I did not betray my kinsfolk; the people of Talinguard betrayed me. I was a devoted son and sibling, giving my all to save my ailing sister. In my studies, I turned to magicks that destroyed my father, and frightened the fools around me. I was accused of witchcraft, and before someone with a brain could question the baseless accusations, I was on my way to Brandescar. "

Gazing at his hand, the mage called forth a ghostly hand, then sounds of chants filled the tent.

"As my associate has insinuated, we are alike, milord. We all seek power - power to do as we please, in the name of that which we revere most. Now tell us of what you have learned hear in the hinterlands? What secrets have you unearthed that might aid our mission to open up the flower you wish to dispoil?"

OOC - Using some cantrips to accentuate the speech. And using evil-colored goggles to explain why Ahkmathi is the real victim!
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Str 10 Dex 16 Con 12 Int 18 Wis 12 Cha 10
    AC 13 (17) HP 16 Init +11 Move 30' / F +2 R +4 W +4
    Spoiler: Spells (4/3+1/2+1)
    Show
    0: detect magic, message, ghost sound, mage hand
    1: enlarge person, silent image, grease, color spray
    2: flaming sphere, create pit, euphoric cloud

Skills: Arcana/Planes +13; Local/Religion/Nature/Dungeon +12; History/Engineering +11; Geo/Nobility+10; Spellcraft +10
    Teleport: 7/7
    Effect: enlarge person (Oghash, 30 rounds); low-light vision
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Sakkarot watches the display and listens to the stories from the others before tilting back his head and laughing, a great belly laugh and joining Oghash in the feast of the slave formally known as "meat". As he feasts on man and boar he looks around at them all. "The hinterlands you ask of..." he sneers, "A vast expanse of tribes, wilderness and savages. Morons, fools and petty tyrants. Only now do they feel the lure of conquest and the slaughter of the manlings beyond the watch all."

The bugbear leans forward, voice low and looking around at the three of you, fire burning with intensity in his red eyes. "I hate these lands. I want stone houses not tents of skin, I want fire, and water and the trappings of a city. I shall carve an empire out the north, I shall sit upon a throne of skulls and a feast on the children of knights." he snorts, calming himself before continuing.

"We will need to breach the gates. The watchtower spans the gorge and the double gates are thick. My horde will die upon the walls if you do not succeed, or we will be crippled so much I cannot drown the North in blood. The Lord of Aldencross, is Thomas Havelyn. He is cunning and wise, a knight who had held the watch wall for decades. Be wary of him, but I would make sure he dies, him and his mad mage who throws fire." He snarls and spits. "There are many men, even more than your prodigious appetite can handle. Start in Aldencross, the town lies by the tower and offers more places for your kind to hide."

As he feasts happily he grins at you all. "You wonder at my knowledge. I was taken as a slave, and sentenced to burn and die before the Cardinal Found me. He took me to a place of secrets and showed me the way of the Lord of Hell, he gave me his mark and gave me this sacred duty. I shall serve the Cardinal and in return he will make me a lord of the ruins of the North."

Anymore questions or back to the boat in the morning
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #453
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oghash listens to the big bugbear with interest, nodding at the desires expressed by the monstrous creature. She smiles as he shares her meal, clearly happy to see that her tastes are shared. She snorts briefly at the idea of eating the whole barracks-worth of soldiers, though she looks thoughtful at the prospect. "Did the Cardinal make you part of a Knot? Are there others, or just you?" she asks curiously, enjoying the discussion with another faithful devotee of Asmodeus.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari listens keenly during the dinner, eager to take in any knowledge that could prove valuable. He nods and grunts questionably-politely, and makes a dedicated point of avoiding meat that doesn't look like pork.

"Don't you worry. We'll open those gates." Somehow, the promise comes across less cocky and more a simple statement of fact.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    unless there's more here that I'm missing, I'm good to head back to the boat

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi nodded, committing the information Sakkarot shared, his eyes gleaming at the challenge. After the beast spoke, Ahkmathi nodded slowly and lowered his voice. ”We shall rot their will from within, or burn their flesh from without. Either way, the tower shall fall and the mewling 'noids that do not turn to the Way shall meet their end in divine agony."

OOC - ready to press
    Show
    AC 13 (17) HP 16 Init +11 Move 30' / F +2 R +4 W +4
    Show
    2: flaming sphere, create pit, euphoric cloud

Skills: Arcana/Planes +13; Local/Religion/Nature/Dungeon +12; History/Engineering +11; Geo/Nobility+10; Spellcraft +10
    Teleport: 7/7
    Effect: enlarge person (Oghash, 30 rounds); low-light vision
    Last edited by Starbin; 2021-12-02 at 04:42 PM.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Titan in the Playground

THe massive shaggy bugbear looks at the orc and grins with his own sharp teeth. "I am one of his knots, the most important and most mighty. But there are 9 knots, one for each layer that our Lord Asmodeus holds dear." He shrugs, "I serve the cardinal. he found me, he carved me anew and gifted me with holy purpose. And now with your deceit from within the tower I can deliver on those promises that I made in blood to the cardinal and the Lord of Devils." Again he chuckle before tearing into a fresh piece of the dead slave...

The banquet goes on for a few more hours before you are offered a tent for the night in the camp with disciplined looking bugbears garbed in spiked plate and carrying heavy spiked chains and flails as guards. Sakarot himself swearing to your safety.... Which is true as it turns out. The morning dawning cold and damp with the stench and sounds of the camp full of beasts all around. From the low bellows of the minotaurs to the drunken bellowing of giants and ogres the camp seems only moderately one level above chaos.

Heading back to the long boat Rollo grins widely and you see him and the half dozen of the men who have been listening to your sermons offer salutes and fingers forming the holy symbols of Asmodeus in greeting. Rollo meets you at the top of the gangplank, "The Captain will sail shortly, he means to cross the lake and drop you on the far shore..." he pauses and leans in to whisper quietly to Stavri, "Have a care, he may slit your throat and dump you on the shore before leaving back to the icy waters of Njordland."

AT that moment Captain Odenkirk appears, unusually garbed in a thick coat of chain, his axe at his belt. Eyeing the war camp he grunts, "I do not trust the beasts. I will sleep sound when out of their sight." Then after bellowing orders to the crew to ready the sails and prepare to row across the lake he looks back at the three of you. "I will sail across the lake, we should make the far side of the lake by evening and you will be some 6 miles from Aldencross. If you campe for the night you may arrive there in morning, or journey there at night as you see fit. " Spitting over the side he looks at the empty hold and the beach where hundreds of green skins and bugbears practice with the new steel. "I will be well rid of this journey. Once you are on the beach I am done with your Cardinal..."

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari rests easy under the Bugbears eye, having found an odd kindred spirit in the language of violence. Still, he's no fool, so one hand lightly atop the hilt of his chain as he slumbers in the provided tent. He rises early, as is his habit, and spends several long minutes performing a series of martial forms as the sun begins to pierce the dank fog. Breath heavy in the cold air, a glistening sheen of sweat nonetheless forms on his hugely muscled shoulders as he provides an oddly graceful (if a tad frightening) display of physique and prowess.

As the ninth knot returns to the Frosthammar, the squat monk nods in greeting to Rollo. He chuckles at the warning, and mumbles "Of course he would," by way of acknowledgement. Grinning wickedly at the first mate, his voice lowers conspiratorially. "I'd heard something similar, come to think of it." Without waiting to see if the man understands his meaning, the Dwarf stumps unceremoniously on board.

"Aye," he calls to the captain (for now). "That'll serve our purposes as well as Cardinal Thorne's. You've done your part, and the master rewards good service."

Show
    Though I'm not super jazzed by the idea, by every right, this remains two bluff checks. One to pass Rollo a hidden message: (1d20-4)[14]

And one to set the captain at ease: (1d20-4)[0]

*shrugs*

edit: hahahaha XD

8. - Top - End - #458
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi nodded again, contemplating where Sakkarot stood within the hierarchy, and whether the Cardinal would call for his head one day. He continued to eat his own food, having not elected to participate in the eating of slaves. That night, he studied his books, ensuring he had spells to deal with the captain and whatever crew remained loyal to him on the morrow.

When they returned to the ship, he simply stared at the Captain, nodding. ”Aye, after tomorrow, the Cardinal will no longer require your services. And we can all part ways, all the richer for the experience." Then he joined the others in their makeshift bivouac on the boat. Watching as the crew worked to set sail.

OOC - I'll update crunch below and spells selected later - I don't have access to my sheet right now.
    Show
    AC 13 (17) HP 26 Init +11 Move 30' / F +4 R +6 W +4
    Show
    2: flaming sphere, bulls strength, euphoric cloud

Spoiler: Extracts
    Show
    (4/day)
    1: enlarge person, targeted bomb admixture, illusion of calm, EMPTY

Mutagen: 1/day (+2 Int/Wis/Chr for -2 Str/Dex/Con; lasts 30 min)
    Bombs: 7/day, fire, +6 / 2d6+4)
    Skills: Arcana/Planes +15; Local/Religion/Nature/Dungeon +14; History/Engineering +13; Geo/Nobility +12; Spellcraft +10; Craft Alchemy +10; Perception +8; D.Device +8; UMD +5
    Teleport (‘5): 7/7
    Effect: low-light vision
    Last edited by Starbin; 2021-12-06 at 06:25 PM.

9. - Top - End - #459

NecromancerGuy

Oghash listens with interest as Sakarot explains that he is one Knot, entirely on his own. She nods in a way that she hopes looks like she understands and is considering the idea, but in reality she's very confused. "One bugbear...a whole Knot...like one rope tied in a knot?" she muses to herself as she makes herself comfortable that night, the sounds of the monstrous camp relaxing in their familiarity. Her stomach (and mind) full, Oghash drifts off into a deep but dream-filled sleep.

The next morning Oghash enjoys some leftovers for breakfast before she follows the others back to the boat. Finding it unloaded and ready to sail she smiles at Rollo and listens to his warning. She nods at Stvari's words - as if she understands the secret message - and returns the salutes of the various sailors. "The Prince of Darkness rewards the strong - you are wise to join the faithful," she says, loudly enough for all to hear her familiar encouragement.

When the Captain appears she smiles an unfriendly smile. "Captain, you look good in that chain, but is it safe? It must be heavy..." she says as she looks at the deep waters of the lake, her meaning clear. With a glance to Rollo she continues, "Of course, you swim like a fish, right? It wouldn't pull you down if something happened..."

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Oghash will be watching for the briefest opportunity to pull rush the Captain overboard once they are out on the lake. With enough of the sailors turned to Asmodeus' worship she's confident they can bring the ship across without him.

If this works out, the sailors who haven't been turned will have their one opportunity to swear themselves to Asmodeus and the 9th Knot. If they don't, they die in any number of unpleasant ways.

If this doesn't work out, she's going to be watching the un-turned sailors carefully. She will be particularly short-tempered to any of them that get too close, possibly to the point of lashing out and attacking them. She's fine starting the fighting early.

Finally, if after the culling there are enough sailors left to sail the ship under Rollo's guidance, she wants to direct them to return to the Cardinal to sail under his colors, not as hired mercenaries.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

The freezing waters oft he lake swell and roll beneath the Frosthammar as it cuts across the wide lake towards the pine shrouded southern shore, mountains rise to the east and you know that the river exiting the lake from the eastern side is the one that cuts through the mountains and over which the bridge at the Balentyne watchtower runs. Its 2-3 hours into the travel across the bridge, Odenkirk glowering at the crew in the centre of the boat, his axe, his hand always resting on his axe handle as he eyed the 3 members of the know with suspicion - his clear antipathy with Oghash has only been deepening over the voyage.

For Oghash and Stavri its clear that this may be the most opportune to strike (if they want to) as Odenkirk moves to the narrow prow of the boat, scanning the distant shore for a landmark of some kind. Most of the men you know to be loyal to him man the long sweeps tha help the sails power the longship through the choppy waters with some speed, whilst Rollo and half the men you know to be more devout to the Prince of Hell stand at the low gunwhales on watch or relaxing....

Feel free to initiate combat with a surpise round. If you want. Odenkirk is assuming you would wait till you are at the beach

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari stands and stretches lazily. He stomps over to Rollo and most of the Knot's allies. Staring over the wind-tossed swells, he calls upon Zon-Kuthon, loudly intoning a bizarre blessing. "Watch over your faithful and their allies in destruction! Strengthen our arms and bolster our efforts! Let the blood of our enemies slake the new thirst of The Prince of Devil's next coming!" In broad view of all onboard, he casts a spell, causing his skin to thicken and take on a grey, dull metallic sheen.

Show
    This can be surprise round, and/or distraction for someone else. Either way, he's gonna cast iron skin on himself in preparation for making some hurt.

12. - Top - End - #462

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Moved for narrative order and new buffs
    Show
    Spoiler: Oghash's Status, Surprise Round
    Show
    Oghash
    Female Chaotic Evil Half-Orc Bloodrager/Oracle, Level 3, Init 3, HP 34+9/34+9, Speed 30 ft. (40 ft. base)
    AC 14, Touch 7, Flat-footed 13, CMD 16, Fort 10, Ref 4, Will 7, CMB +9, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Masterwork Greataxe +10 (1d12+9, 20/x3)
    Chainmail +1 (+7 Armor, +1 Dex, -2 Bloodrage, -2 Charge)
    Abilities Str 23, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 12
    Condition Bloodrage (1/10 Rounds Used Today)
    Charge

Oghash notes both Stvari's distraction and the subtle hints from Ahkmathi that the elf spellcaster intends to help her surprise the ship's captain with a feral grin. Standing and looking to the front of the ship the barbaric half-orc woman walks to within about fifteen feet of the man before she allows the infernal influence in her blood to overcome her self control in an instant of fury and insanity. "YOU DON'T DIE TODAY - YOU DIE EVERYDAY!" she screams as she draws her greataxe and with the flat of it rushes into Captain Odenkirk, pushing him with all her might towards the icy lake waters!

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Oghash will certainly wait for Silent Image or Enlarge Person from Ahkmathi before initiating combat. Otherwise she will take Stvari's spellcasting as her cue to begin the slaughter!

Initiative: (1d20+3)[7]

Charge (as a standard action due to the surprise round) (drawing her greataxe as she moves) and attempt to bull rush Captain Odenkirk off the deck of the ship into the lake. As he is not expecting this I do not think the combat maneuver incurs an attack of opportunity from him (or anyone else). Bull Rush (CMB+Charge): (1d20+11)[19] vs Captain Odenkirk's CMD.

As we aren't using battle maps I don't know how far she needs to push him, but Oghash will move with him as far as the railing, assuming she has the movement to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    If your attack is successful, your target is pushed back 5 feet. For every 5 by which your attack exceeds your opponent’s CMD you can push the target back an additional 5 feet. You can move with the target if you wish but you must have the available movement to do so. If your attack fails, your movement ends in front of the target.
    If this isn't enough to knock the Captain overboard during the surprise round and Oghash beats his initiative and gets to act before him in round 1, she will continue to try and Bull Rush him off the side of the ship: (1d20+9)[16] vs Captain Odenkirk's CMD. If he beats her initiative she won't necessarily do this, as it would incur an AoO.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi watched the Captain prowl, and noticed the growing agitation in Oghash each time she made eye contact with the man. Things were going to come to a head soon, and if he didn't take action, could result in disaster. Fortunately, he had come prepared for this day, knowing he would need to ensure Oghash could wreak as much havoc as possible as quickly as possible. He moved among his two companions, murmuring, "I will be masking my moves via arcane means, which should enable me to provide you enchantments to improve your lethality." After a moments pause, he shook his head and tried again. "I will cast a spell to hide me from enemy eyes. I will be able to provide you magical help so we can kill the Captain. After I say go, you can attack. But try to act nature, even if this seems weird. Stvari, a distraction would be useful."

After getting a quick acknowledgement from his companions, Ahkmathi drink a small vial, then went and sat down on one of the padded crates, studying his massive tone. However, in actuality, he remained in place, hidden under the veil of an illusion covering only himself. Pulling free another vial, Ahkmathi whispered a spell that he placed upon the giant woman, place the vial in her paw. He whispered, ”Drink this when you are ready, then attack as soon as you swallow - it will increase your size, like my spell."

Then Ahkmathi moved to position himself where he could cast a spell upon the Captain's allies. And he waited ...

OOC - Drink first extraction - illusion of calm. Covers me for all the stuff following (lasts for 3 minutes). Second, he'll cast bull's strength on Oghash (+4 Str [enh] for 3 min), then give her a vial to drink (instant enlarge person for 3 minutes). Finally, he'll move to stand in an area where he can target the men loyal to the Captain. Depending on their position, he cast a spell that can hit the most of them. Any thoughts on how 'weak' minded Ahk thinks these guys are (i.e., levels / classes and such)? Local - (1d20+14)[28].

Oh, and Initiative - (1d20+11)[31]

Show
    Show
    2: flaming sphere, bull's strength, euphoric cloud

Show
    (4/day)

Skills: Arcana/Planes +15; Local/Religion/Nature/Dungeon +14; History/Engineering +13; Geo/Nobility +12; Spellcraft +10; Craft Alchemy +10; Perception +8; D.Device +8; UMD +5
    Effect: illusion of calm (veils actions, lasts 27 more rounds); Bulls Strength (+4 Str [enhancement] for 28 rounds); give Oghash an enlarge person infusion (will last 30 rounds); low-light vision

14. - Top - End - #464

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Oghash's Status, Surprise Round
    Show
    Oghash ("Fiendclaw" in Orcish)
    Female Chaotic Evil Half-Orc Bloodrager/Oracle, Level 3, Init 3, HP 34+9/34+9, Speed 30 ft. (40 ft. base)
    AC 13, Touch 6, Flat-footed 12, CMD 17, Fort 10, Ref 4, Will 7, CMB +13, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Masterwork Greataxe +11 (3d6+16, 20/x3)
    Chainmail +1, (+7 Armor, +1 Dex, -1 Size, -2 Bloodrage, -2 Charge)
    Abilities Str 29, Dex 10, Con 21, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 12
    Condition Bloodrage (1/10 Rounds Used Today)
    Charge
    Enlarge Person
    Bull's Strength

It takes Oghash several moments to understand Ahkmathi's words, but she takes the extract and follows the elf's directions. Oghash then notes Stvari's distraction with a feral grin. Standing and looking to the front of the ship the barbaric half-orc woman walks to within about fifteen feet of the man. There she drinks the extract and allows the infernal influence in her blood to overcome her self control in an instant of fury and insanity. "YOU DON'T DIE TODAY - YOU DIE EVERYDAY!" she screams as she draws her enlarged greataxe and with the flat of it rushes into Captain Odenkirk, pushing him with all her might towards the icy lake waters!

Show
    Oghash accepts and drinks the Enlarge Person extract from Ahkmathi before initiating combat. Then she takes Stvari's spellcasting as her cue to begin the slaughter!

All rolls occur in the post above, with modifications as noted below.

Initiative: 6 (7-1 from Enlarge Person)

Charge (as a standard action due to the surprise round) (drawing her greataxe as she moves) and attempt to bull rush Captain Odenkirk off the deck of the ship into the lake. As he is not expecting this I do not think the combat maneuver incurs an attack of opportunity from him (or anyone else). Bull Rush (CMB+Charge): 23 (19+4 from additional buffs) vs Captain Odenkirk's CMD.

As we aren't using battle maps I don't know how far she needs to push him, but Oghash will move with him as far as the railing, assuming she has the movement to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    If your attack is successful, your target is pushed back 5 feet. For every 5 by which your attack exceeds your opponent’s CMD you can push the target back an additional 5 feet. You can move with the target if you wish but you must have the available movement to do so. If your attack fails, your movement ends in front of the target.
    If this isn't enough to knock the Captain overboard during the surprise round and Oghash beats his initiative and gets to act before him in round 1, she will continue to try and Bull Rush him off the side of the ship: 20 (16+4 from additional buffs) vs Captain Odenkirk's CMD. If he beats her initiative she won't necessarily do this, as it would incur an AoO.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi moved to keep his companions between himself and the Captain's loyal sailors. Moving freely, he set up to capture as many targets with his spell and cast out a spray of sparkling dust that could blind and stun the weak-willed. To those around, it appeared that the wizard was simply standing nearby, taking notes in his book as he meandered forward. However, a wave of color suddenly appeared engulfing Odenkirk and two of his close companions. Ahkmathi called out, with the image mimicking his lip movements, "To arms, loyal servants of the Dark Lord! Death to the unbelievers and the faithless! Glory will be ours!"

OOC - During surprise, casting Color Spray (DC 15 Will save). As I read the spell, it seems nobody saves against illusion of calm until they attack it. Cool beans!
    Show
    Show

Show
    (4/day)

Effect: illusion of calm (veils actions, lasts 26 more rounds); Bulls Strength (+4 Str [enhancement] on Oghash for 27 rounds); Enlarge person (Oghash, 29 more rounds); low-light vision
    Last edited by Starbin; 2021-12-29 at 01:36 PM.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

Odenkirk shouts in anger and surprise as a giant Oghash steps out from seemingly nowhere and slams him against the railings of the ship. He howls a loud and wild and savage battle cry, that is tinged with fear slightly as his two nearest men drop to the decking convulsing and grabbing at their eyes as the wave of colour blind them and leave them reeling on the deck. Behind Oghash rollo nods and three of the walrus hunters form a triangle around the mage, drawing long curved knives or short hafted axes to protect Ahkmathi.

Odenirk draws his axe free from his waist, crying "You want my ship, do ye? I killed my brother to take her and I’ll kill all of you to keep her!” as he goes mad, frothing and swinging at Oghash

Rage, draw the big axe nd attack with power attack and powerful blow rage power (1d20+9)[26] dam (1d12+14)[21]

Stavri glows, metallic strands forming in his beard as one of the loyal crew runs down the deck towards drawing him a battle axe and chopping at him.
    Attack (1d20+5)[25] dam (1d8+3)[7]

As Rollo and the rest of the Walrus hunters begin drawing weapons and facing Odenkirk's loyal crew as mainly shouts are engaged so far as the shock of mutiny is still raw. Rollo looking at the battle between Odenkirk and Oghash is clearly not going to intervene taking a "might makes right" approach to the duel.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi's image continued to watch the battle, obviously bored with events, but at the least unconcerned. However, underneath the illusion, Ahkmathi pulled free a small device from within his robes, glanced up at the combat as he made a few adjustments, then tossed it at the raging Captain. Upon impact, the device exploded and a flash of flame and black smoke, engulfing anyone who was not an ally.

OOC - Rnd 1: Toss a bomb at Odenkirk. With precise bombs, Ahkmathi will designate any areas with an ally as splash damage free (up to four squares).
    Attack - (1d20+6)[8] (I don't know if he counts as flat-footed to me, but here's hoping I hit the raging maniac with a ranged touch attack!) Dam - (2d6+4)[13]

EDIT: I KNEW as soon as I typed that I was going to roll poorly. Sigh ... I can't access the rules on a missed attack so feel free to roll on that, @DrK

Show
    Show

Show
    (4/day)

Bombs: 6/7 per day, fire, +6 / 2d6+4)
    Effect: illusion of calm (veils actions, lasts 25 more rounds); Bulls Strength (+4 Str [enhancement] on Oghash for 26 rounds); Enlarge person (Oghash, 28 more rounds); low-light vision
    Last edited by Starbin; 2021-12-29 at 01:37 PM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari snorts. "Couldn' care less about the ship, mate. It's your head we're after!" The jibe turns to a grunt as one of the loyal sailors introduces him to the business end of his axe. "Aye, you know how to use it, eh? From the floor?"

Spoiler: Stvari, round 1
    Show
    Stvari Inhibiraj
    Male LE Dwarf Monk (MM)//Cleric, Level 3, Init 2, HP 25/25, Speed 30
    AC 20 , Touch 16, Flat-footed 18, CMD 22, Fort 6, Ref 6, Will 8, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Unarmed Strike +6 (1d6+4, x2)
    (trip friendly) Temple sword +6 (+9 for trip attempt) (1d8+4, 19-20, x2)
    Flurry of Trip/dirty trick +7/+7 (-, )
    (+2 Dex, +4 wisdom, +4 Natural)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 18, Cha 6
    Condition Hardy, Stability, Dimdweller, Shadowhunter
    Evasion, +2 saves vs fear
    Ki pool: 1/1
    Stunning fist: 2/2
    Maneuver defense: gain AoOs for dirty trick and trip, even when usually not
    Destructive Smite: 6/7
    Touch of Darkness 7/7
    Cleric spells (see sheet)
    Ironskin: 3 mins -1 round

Gonna use flurry to throw down a few maneuvers. First, a trip: (1d20+7)[11]
    If that works, the second maneuver will be a dirty trick to entangle him with a nearby rope or chain or piece of canvas. If it didn't work, we'll try to trip him again: (1d20+7)[19]

Assuming either trip succeeds, Stvari is gonna use his vicious stomp feat to, well viciously stomp this guy.
    (1d20+6)[16] (presumably against lowered AC for prone and entanglement?)
    (1d20+6)[24] cc (26, x2)
    (1d6+5)[7] damage (includes +1 for destructive smite)
    (1d6+5)[11] crit bonus

If he tries to stand up, he'll get to find out what combat reflexes feels like: If someone else triggers an AoO, he's not picky (and has 3 bonus AoOs to spare)
    (1d20+6)[26] AoO
    (1d20+6)[16] CC (with sword, 19-20, x2)
    (1d8+6)[9] damage
    (1d8+6)[9] crit bonus

Edit: I forgot to update the character sheet with the spiked chain last time. Damage should be 2d4 instead of 1d8, but I figure I can just correct that moving forward?

19. - Top - End - #469

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Oghash's Status, Round 1
    Show
    Oghash ("Fiendclaw" in Orcish)
    Female Chaotic Evil Half-Orc Bloodrager/Oracle, Level 3, Init 3, HP 13+9/34+9, Speed 30 ft. (40 ft. base)
    AC 15, Touch 8, Flat-footed 14, CMD 19, Fort 10, Ref 4, Will 7, CMB +13, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Masterwork Greataxe +11 (3d6+16, 20/x3)
    Chainmail +1, (+7 Armor, +1 Dex, -1 Size, -2 Bloodrage)
    Abilities Str 29, Dex 10, Con 21, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 12
    Condition Bloodrage (2/10 Rounds Used Today)
    Enlarge Person
    Bull's Strength

"SING THE SONG OF THE BLOOD, RINGING IN OUR EARS!" chants Oghash tunelessly as she steps back (out of his reach) and tries again to knock the raging captain off the side of his boat using the flat side of her enlarged axe.

Show
    5-ft step to get out of melee range of the captain, then use her own reach to Bull Rush: (1d20+15)[20] vs Odenkirk's CMD. Since he's not using a reach weapon or enlarged this shouldn't incur an AoO.

Should someone (especially the captain) incur an AoO from Oghash: Large MW Greataxe (1d20+11)[29] to hit, (1d20+11)[15] (20/x3), (3d6+16)[25] slashing damage, (6d6+32)[49] critical strike damage.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

As the blood begins to roll across the deck of the ship there is a tremendous boom and a great plume of water as the mage's bomb sails over the side and detonates in the lake causing many ofthe sailors to jump, and others to make signs of good luck (and some you note the symbol of Asmodeus). In the mid deck Stavri cruelly kicks the feet of the man who had the temerity to hit him with an axe before stamping on the mans feet and then thrashing him with the spiked chasin as he tried to crawl to his feet, the spiked chain wrapping around his neck and choking the life from him

By the side of the ship Odenkirk buries his axe into Oghash but the enraged orc doesn't care and despitet he axe lodged her in chest she picks up the Captain and bodily hursl him overboard! There is a great splash as he hits the water, his axe vanishing from sight as he paddles towards the ship

(1d20+1)[10] Swim vs DC15, but swimming 10ft will leave him 10ft behind the 20ft /round ship

Even as the captain is hurled overboards one of his men tries to rush Oghash from behind but with her massive height and long arms she whirls around and chops him near enough in half, blood fountaining on the deck of the ship as the body spills its viscera onto the deck. Rollow raises his axe high and bellows "Captain Oghash! All hail the Dark Lord..." a cry taken up by about third of the crew as the rest drop weapons shifting nervously and looking at the splashing Captain....

21. - Top - End - #471

NecromancerGuy

Oghash takes a moment to breath before intoning a deep prayer. "Asmodeus grants power - and healing - to the strong. Doom to the weak..." As her wounds begin to stitch closed she looks to the nearest, yet-to-be-converted sailor and casually walks up to him. Lifting the trembling man by the shirt she holds him high above the deck of the ship and shakes him roughly. Loudly enough for all to hear she says to him, "I hunger. Unless you want to feed me, let him catch up. Slowly."

Looking back at the swimming man she tosses the sailor to the deck. Without turning her head she calls out to their most faithful convert. "First Mate Rollo! Drop sail and have the unconverted men take the oars. The faithful will prepare a feast for our new converts tonight..." Then she turns to watch Odenkirk struggle to tread water, content to let the man tire himself out fully before throwing him a line and fishing him out of the lake.

Show
    End Bloodrage.

Oghash doesn't know she is casting Cure Light Wounds, but that's what she's doing as she recovers from the fatigue of Bloodrage. CLW: (1d8+3)[11], (1d8+3)[5], (1d8+3)[6] HPs healed until she is within 5 HPs of max. (13+? out of 34). Edit: she will take all of the healing and be at full HPs.

I'm taking a bit of narrative liberty, but I suspect she can lift a sailor as described, especially as long as she's enlarged.

The intention is to slow the ship enough that Odenkirk eventually catches up, but only after hypothermia and fatigue have rendered him too weak to fight. Oghash will direct the speed very carefully (for her), ensuring that he never gets too close before it is clear he is about to pass out and drown. Only then will she have him pulled from the lake.

As the exhausted and drowning man is dragged up and thrown onto the deck of the ship Oghash, now back to normal size, rips off most of his clothing, stripping him of gear and dignity. She directs Rollo to place Odenkirk in shackles and tie him to the mast as she watches. "He will feed the faithful, as will any others who don't swear themselves to Asmodeus," she explains as the ship gets ready to pull into their destination. "Leave a small team of the faithful onboard to stand watch. They will be rewarded with the best cuts. Have all the others go ashore. They will brand any new converts and cook the others - alive."

With a smile that is utterly bereft of humanity or decency the half-orc woman looks about at her ship and crew, her gaze lingering on the terrified faces of the unconverted. Having condemned them either to horrific, painful death or eternal damnation she smiles. "The Ninth Knot grows in power. The faithful are rewarded. See to Ahkmathi and Stvari - be sure they are comfortable and enjoy the evening. It has been a good day."

As Rollo turns to see to the needs of the other leaders of the Knot everyone nearby can hear Oghash's stomach rumble. It is an ominous sound.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari savagely flenses the bleeding corpse, disappointed to have killed his assailant so quickly. He glances up at the sound of a splash as Odenkirk hits the surface. Frowning thoughtfully, he watches in a mixture of amusement and curiosity as the muscle-bound erstwhile captain swims powerfully among the thrashing waves. "Shame he was so greedy," the Dwarf muses. "There is strength in that man that could have been put to better use." When one of the faithful appears to tend his wounds, Stvari waves him off, almost irritably. "My blood serves my masters. I won't die of this."

When the time comes, the squat monk dutifully fishes the exhausted man out of the ocean before unceremoniously dumping him amidships. As Rollo binds his former superior to the mast, Stvari collects 9 torches and affixes them tightly to heavy harpoons he had previously recovered for this purpose. With surprising care and cautious measurement, he plunges the harpoons into bags of foodstuffs at precise intervals to make a trio of overlapping triangles, with Odenkirk's bound form in the middle. When he lights them, the temperature in the middle of the circle rises dramatically- protecting the bound man from exposure, but rapidly leaving him much too warm- sweating uncomfortably under their flickering, ruddy glares. "One for each knot," he explains. Glancing meaningfully at Oghash, he continues, "and the meat gets tight if the animal dies too early."

As the ship continues to press on towards shore and the site of their eventual disembarkation, the Dwarf paces around the torches. Equal parts animalistic intimidation and religious fervor, the Dwarf quickly removes most of his outer-clothes amid the warmth of the knot of torches. He begins chanting in a deep, clear voice, reciting a bizarre litany that praises Asmodeus' might even as it extols Zon'Kuthon's sheer brutality. Bizarrely loving phrases of blood and death roll over the deck, quickly becoming uncomfortably familiar as he repeats the verses.

23. - Top - End - #473

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    Glancing meaningfully at Oghash, he continues, "and the meat gets tight if the animal dies too early."
    With a momentary frown Oghash mutters something to herself...

Spoiler: Perception DC 15
    Show
    "Now why hadn't I thought of that? I've cooked enough meat...Why is he being so nice to me...?"

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    [Stvari] begins chanting in a deep, clear voice, reciting a bizarre litany that praises Asmodeus' might even as it extols Zon'Kuthon's sheer brutality. Bizarrely loving phrases of blood and death roll over the deck, quickly becoming uncomfortably familiar as he repeats the verses.
    Again Oghash scowls briefly, but then smiles an ugly smile, before frowning again. This process repeats for much of the time Stvari chants as the half-orc woman tries to understand the concept of veneration and respect for two deities at once. As it appears to give her a headache she stomps to the forecastle and looks towards land, rubbing her temples as her limited mental capacity fails to comprehend what the dwarf is doing.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Titan in the Playground

Odenkirk’s screams last long into the day as he is slowly broiled alive before the ceremony begins. Oghash, Stavri and Akthami standing by the mast, the wizard summoning dramatic music and flickering lights to further enhance the terror

One by one each of the crew is brought forward to be branded with Asmodeus’s symbol and eat a piece of Odenkirk from the still living (if just) Captain. Rollo is the first, eyes blazing with adoration for the Dark Lord whilst there are 3 refusals, each of whom screams briefly or meets Oghash’s axe with silent stoicism.

As the afternoon slaughter and ceremony ends the thing that was Odenkirk still twitches feebly and Rollo stands at the tiller. “Make for the shore. Drop the sail and fore oats for steerage only, Olaf, ready the sounding line and mark the depth”

A few minutes later there is a soft grinding of wood upon sand as the prow kisses the beach. Rollo looks at his masters. Aldencross lies 4 miles away up that stream. We cannot take the Frosthammar up the stream but we can wait here if you want. The river runs too fast and savage under the bridge of Balentyne so we cannot moor there. Do you want of the lads to come to Aldencross to offer some muscle?”

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi had let the other two have their fun with the captain. Their barbaric methods were certainly effective for now, but at some point might require a bit more subtlety to entice the masses. After others ate their fill and made their oaths, he headed to the former Captain's quarters, searching through for the gold Thorn had mentioned, in addition to anything of interest. They needed to gather resources for the the battles ahead, as well as ensuring they maintained an exit strategy. After searching throughout the quarters, he returned to joino the others.

Upon arriving at the shore, Ahkmathi spoke quietly to the others in Orcish. "While having more muscle may help carry the burden, subterfuge will be our chief weapon in the coming weeks. I suggest we maintain this crew as an asset unique to our Knot. They are now children of the Dark Lord - let them set sail on a newly christened ship, the Glorious Purpose, and ensure the word is brought to our tribal partners. Better to have a hidden strength for tomorrow than to waste the resources today."

OOC - Not sure we get too much benefit from bringing them along, especially if we're supposed to infiltrate the city and wage a war of deceit and lies to undermine the strength of the defenders.
    Show
    Show

Show
    (4/day)

Last edited by Starbin; 2021-12-29 at 01:37 PM.

26. - Top - End - #476

NecromancerGuy

Oghash enjoys a bit of rare flesh before turning to oversee the grisly initiation. An observant watcher will note a quiet respect in her expression as she kills the three resistant men - even as one begs for mercy. "You'll find none here," she says to the blubbering man as she stares into his weeping face. "Die now to serve in death."

Turning to Rollo to explain she continues to speak as she deliberately hacks the man in two. "Asmodeus grants the strong their ambitions in life. He rules over all, though. Serve him in life. Earn your reward. These men will find no comfort with us. Maybe after death...but I like what we have now, here, in our hands more!" she says, encouraging the first mate with fervor and pride. "Serve the Ninth Knot well, and you will enjoy riches and power too. But always, first serve the Dark Prince."

After the party is done with the feast Oghash collects the late Captain's equipment and treasure. Looking at the fine chainmail he wore she has Rollo help her change it out with hers. "Be sure it fits right, and then take my old mail. It will be your first payment for loyal service - the enchantment on it will serve you well," she says seriously. Then she picks up the magical greataxe with a mean smile and swings it to try and check the feel of its balance. "This will do me well. Nice." Finally she picks up a potion and puts it on her belt to replace the one she used during their voyage here.

Once disembarked Oghash listens to Ahkmathi and nods in agreement. Turning to address the crew she stands tall. "First Mate Rollo! It is Asmodeus' will that we do this alone. Take the faithful and the ship - the Ninth Knot has renamed her the Glorious Purpose. Go to Warpriest Sarris and the acolyte Hald. Obey Sarris as you would us - he will welcome you into his command. Study Asmodeus beside Hald and together you two will make safe the islands for us. Convert the tribes, hold off the Mitrans, and wait for word from us." she orders, loud enough for the sailors to hear. Turning to the rest she announces, "You others will obey Rollo as you would me! Should you fail, there will be no grace - only by sacrifice will I be sated. Today you tasted a sacrifice - earn your place at the table or prepare to be meat for the worthy! Now go!"

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

Rollo and the crew cheer their new masters and after some more discussions with Rollo, the three of the ninth knot crunch down into the sand and watch the as the Glorious Purpose slips back off the sand propelled by the oars and heads out onto the choppy waters of Lake Tarik again and cutting to the rivers to t the North East that will exit into the sea and the route to the tribes and ‘Father’ Sarris

Looking inland the beach shelves upwards before heading into a sparse mixed pine and broadleaf forest, the autumn weather still mild enough you don’t feel too cold and enough afternoon sun light left you feel confident you can cover the four miles to Aldencross.

It’s a confidence that is well earned as around 2 hours later after winding through small farm tracks and between thick and heavy fields the strange circular town of Aldencross hoves into view and you can recall what you learned of the place when studying at Thorn’s mansion.

Aldencross is a township of necessity. It exists only because Balentyne exists. First, there was the dwarven bridge that spanned the nearby River Tyburn. That bridge was built in a time when a great dwarven kingdom spanned the entire island both north and south. That bridge was a critical lifeline connecting the dwarven realms, north and south.

In time, the dwarven realms faltered and disappeared but their sturdy bridge remained surviving through the centuries. When King Accarius IV called the Architect built the Watch Wall, this ancient bridge was an obvious place to build a fortress. The king considered destroying the bridge but decided against it. The bridge might be useful in the planned invasion of the Savage North (that invasion never materialized) and the mere existence of the bridge meant the bugbears had a known choke point they were likely to attack. And so the dwarven bridge became the death trap called Balentyne.

Balentyne was not far from a crossroads where the north-south old dwarven road met the newer Talirean road that ran parallel to Lake Tarik and the River Tyburn. At that crossroads, there was single inn called St. Alden’s Cross, named for an obscure Talirean saint who protected travelers. That inn is long gone and in fact, its foundation is located at what is now the Town Hall. This inn was a small oft forgotten way station for traders and explorers and for many decades, that was all that was here.

The construction of Balentyne changed everything. Suddenly, the inn had guaranteed business. Off duty soldiers need a place to drink and relax between guard shifts. The Lord-Commander of Balentyne built a home near the inn, as did some of his officers. And around that central nexus the town began to spring up. The closeness of this relationship is confirmed by the fact that the town of Aldencross has no mayor. The master of Aldencross is always the Lord-Commander of Balentyne.

Aldencross was never a walled community. Balentyne was the fortress and offered all the protection the town may need. It is also a soldier’s town. Even though prostitution is illegal in Talingarde, Aldencross has more than its share of single women who seem always ready to have a soldier visit for “lunch”.

This unseemly underbelly of the town does not change that fact that this is a Talirean township. Most of the people in town are good Mitran-fearing farmers and artisans. They grow the food and make the equipment that the soldiers at Balentyne need to keep the Kingdom of Talingarde safe. There is not a single family in town without a connection to the Watchtower. It is their sons who guard the Watch Wall. It is their daughters who marry those sons. It is there labor that feeds it, clothes and equips the soldiers and keeps the frontier safe. This is a point of immense pride to the people who make Aldencross their home.

The town of Aldencross is located in the Borderlands region of Talingarde. It is a temperate clime, warm during the summer but bitterly cold during the winter and often receives heavy snow fall. The spring is wet and mists sometimes roll off the great lake, covering the town in thick fog. During the fall, the trees turn into a spectacle of color before shedding their leaves.

The land itself is hilly and forested up until you approach very near the river Tyburn itself, which is a great canyon that cuts through the rock and soil, making a massive scar that runs all the way from Estyllis on the east coast to Farholde on the west, nearly cutting Talingarde in half. Near the canyon the land is rocky, barren and slopes upward.

North and west of the town is the Lake Tarik, the great inland sea of Talingarde. Aldencross trades with a few small fishing villages and thus lake trout, amberscale and cold water crayfish are not rare on the dinner tables of the townsfolk. Crayfish in particular are prized, but in Lake Tarik they never grow to the gigantic size sometimes seen in Lake Scardynn nearer Farholde.

South of town are rolling farmlands broken up by scattered expanses of forest. It is these isolated farmsteads that largely feed both Balentyne and Aldencross. Wheat fields, apple orchards and vegetable patches fill the country side, as does pasture land for cattle and sheep. These farmers visit Aldencross to sell their wares and trade at its markets.

The forests are populated by all manner of game. Unlike in the heartlands, these forests are not owned and regulated by local lords. This means that even the commons can hunt for both fowl and deer. As a result, these animals are both often seen on the tables of Aldencross. Venison stew is probably the closest thing the town has to a local cuisine and it is eaten with great frequency.

All manner of forest birds such as warblers, shrikes, larks, winchats and nightjar are frequently seen. Hunters of course are more interested in the partridge, grouse, pheasants and ptarmigans. But most prized of all are the ducks that swim about Lake Tarik. They are skittish and fast fliers, and are thus difficult to catch but their meat is a prized delicacy.

The town surrounds some green rolling hills called by most ‘the town green’. The town green is where the townsfolk meet and socialize. When the weather is good it is not uncommon to see townsfolk out and about on the greens, chatting about the seasons and sharing the local gossip.

Spoiler: Twenty Features of Aldencross
    Show

1. Town Center
    This is Aldencross’ hub. It is where the King’s Road turns and crosses with a fisherman’s trail. The roads heads out of town west and runs all the way to Farholde. The road heads south before turning east and following the Tyburn river, travelling all the way to Estyllis and the sea. The northern road heads out of town to the lake and the eastern road travels only a mile before reaching Balentyne and the dwarven bridge. In the center of town is a great statue of a knight on a horse. This is a statue of Markadian I called the Victor. The statue is unusual because such statues usually depict the Victor in armor, perhaps even charging into battle. Here the Victor is depicted out of his armor, in fine garb, riding his horse and looking dreamingly to the north. There is an inscription “Till all Talingarde is Free”. The town center is usually a large empty circle. However on market days, this town center fills with merchants’ stalls. Having a stall in the town center (as opposed to the outlying greens) is a great privilege usually given only to well-established local merchants.

2. The Lord’s Dalliance Inn
    Aldencross’ most famous (and infamous) inn is the only establishment that caters to travelers. On market days, it is impossible to get rooms here. Run by Bellam Barhold, the place is as much a town institution as it is regarded as a civic embarrassment. The Lord’s Dalliance was once a brothel. Everyone in town knows that. What many don’t realize (or rather choose not realize) is that the Lord’s Dalliance still does a fairly brisk trade in the world’s oldest profession. In a border town with this many bored soldiers and visiting merchants, how could it not? The local reeve mostly ignores these complaints, but equally rigorously clamps down if the trade expands anywhere but the Lord’s Dalliance. Having one oasis of sin keeps the soldiery from getting restless. Having two could start to change the character of Aldencross and the reeve and most townsfolk certainly don’t want that. Once you can get past the more lascivious exploits of the Dalliance, the Inn is actually a comfortable place to stay. Bellam and his wife, Alicia, serve quality food and the rooms are clean and comfortable.

3. Town Hall
    This large building located right off the town center is built on the original foundation of the Alden’s Cross Inn that was the first building in this town.

4. Vallison Manor
    This large estate is the home of Dominik Vallison, village reeve and one of the wealthier merchants in town. He owns both the general store and the mill. Dominik himself is an educated man who went to Ghastenhall to be educated and then returned to run the family business. His time in Ghastenhall cultured Dominik and though he loves his home, he also appreciates that it is a borderlands backwater. Dominik thus craves cultured company and if anyone noble or learned visits town, it is likely that Dominik will invite them to dinner at his manor. Dominik thus represents an opportunity. Dominik is an important man in Aldencross who is well known both in town and at the watchtower. As part of his duty as reeve, he is expected to report important events to the Lord Commander. Thus, Dominik is the only civilian in town who can go to the Watchtower, demand to enter and be granted more or less total access on the pretense of going to meet the Lord-Commander or doing the Lord-Commander’s bidding. Dominik is a handsome middle-aged dandy who always wears fine clothing and a masterwork rapier. Though he looks like a noble, he is in fact not. He is simply a very wealthy and well-connected man. However, for all of his airs, Dominik is still a loyal Talirean and worshipper of Mitra.

5. The Giuseppe House
    This is the humble cottage of Mama Louisa Giuseppe. The kindly old woman is both a town fixture and practically an institution. She is either here, at Balentyne feeding the soldiers, gossiping about town or in the nearby Church of St. Alden. She has a large flower garden in her back yard and supports herself selling these flowers during markets. However, thanks to the help of the church and the gratitude of the soldiers, she actually needs very little money to carry on. She lives alone and has little of value, other than her recipe for the greatest Beef Stew the town has ever tasted.

6. The Church of St. Alden
    This is Aldencross’ local Mitra church. This small country church has been rebuilt only twenty years ago after a fire but is built on ancient foundations. The caretaker of the church, Brother Justin of Travismere is not a spellcaster. Instead, he is imply a humble devotee of Mitra, well-skilled at keeping the place in fine working order. The real authority at this church is Father Donnagin, the chaplain of Balentyne. Brother Justin is frankly in awe of the man and defers to him on all matters of any real substance. Still, Father Donnagin is rarely at the church save on holy days. The duties of the watchtower simply keep him too busy.

7. Graveyard
    This is the old town graveyard behind the Church of St. Alden. This graveyard is one of the oldest parts of the town and has graves dating from over three hundred years ago (when the first inn was founded). Of course, with such an old graveyard, there are rumors that the graveyard is haunted. This rumor is untrue. Father Donnagin would have noticed any undead and dealt with them long ago.

8. The Mott House
    This large residence is the house of Captain Franz Mott and his lovely young wife Kaitlynn.

9. Town Market
    This large sparse grove of tree is the location of the town market every quarter. The trees are not so dense that they don’t allow stalls and tents to be set up and yet their overhanging branches provide shade during the hotter months and natural places to hang goods to display for sale. These markets are the social centers of town and they are always attended by just about everyone. When the market is in town, this usually quiet picnic spot transforms in a bustling place of commerce. Farmers and merchants peddle their produce and products. Visiting tinkers and trash peddlers hawk all manner of wares. Snake oil salesmen make outrageous claims about their potions. And the smell of food stalls fills the whole area with the smell of roast chicken and toasted nuts.

10. The Illuminated Scroll
    A small farming village may not seems like a natural place for a sage and scribe to set up shop, and yet Mister Jacobian Scaramore manages to make a living here. He serves as the town’s scribe, accountant, hedge mage and resident expert on matters of law. The truth of course is that Jacobian is a disgraced lawyer and hedge wizard from Matharyn. He was involved in a scandal involving a romantic relationship with a male priest of Mitra. While neither technically violated either the law or the ordinances of Mitra, it ruined both their careers and Jacobian moved to the Borderlands looking for work.

11. Master Caldwin’s Cauldron
    This is the town alchemist shop. It carries a surprisingly large range of potions and alchemical concoction. The alchemist keeps a decent selection of potions in stock and can manufacture about anything else visitors desire in a few days. The owner of the shop, Teryth Caldwin, is a bookish fellow who has recently moved to town. Though a respected member of the community whose cures have proven very useful, he is also regarded as an odd bird and generally given a wide birth.

12. VonKraig Smithy
    This smithy specializes in supplying and maintaining the weapons and army of Balentyne. But Erasmus VonKraig, the master smith, also has a small stock of other weaponry and is always happy to take some side work if visitors need armor or weapons. Erasmus is even accomplished enough of a blacksmith that he can make masterwork weapons and armor, though this requires a special order.

13. A Stone Watch Tower
    This small stone watchtower is manned by four soldiers at all times. There is, in the top of the tower, a large iron bell that can warn the citizenry in times of attack on the watchtower or in times of crisis. There is a simple code of bell strikes that can communicate whether the townsfolk need to evacuate or whether the townfolk instead need help from the watchtower. Learning this code is not too difficult as all the guards know it. If the right signal were given at the proper moment when the watchtower was not under siege, then a Captain and twenty men would come from the watchtower to check out the call. This could be done to weaken the defenses of the tower.

14. A General Store
    This is a small country general store run by the Morganstern family. It carries most normal equipment that adventurers would typically need (such as rope, tools, backpacks, etc.) What it does not carry is any sort of weapons or armor.

15. Timon Meadery
    The forests near the town hold not only deer and fowl. They are also home to many colonies of bees. The honey is collected and brought to town where this local meadery flavors it with wild blackberries and makes a popular local beverage known as Timon’s Black. This powerfully alcoholic sweet drink is so dark a purple that by candlelight it looks almost black and is a popular drink with locals and soldiery alike. This is where the mead is made and is the workplace of Falrick Timon, the owner and mead master of this place. Mister Timon is a shrewd businessman and capable meadmaker but a known gambler.

16. The Varning House
    This sizeable residence is the home of Captain Ryan Varning, patrol captain of Balentyne. Because Captain Ryan is so often out on patrol and lives alone, this house is fairly reliably empty save for Captain Ryan’s live-in man servant, James Darby.

17. A Farm House
    This typical farm house happens to be where the Iverson family lives. Jasper and Edith Iverson are both servants who work in Balentyne. This older couple no longer has any children and so lives alone.

18. A Small Abandoned Warehouse
    This small warehouse is little more than forty by twenty feet open space. The building has been for rent for years and is now all boarded up. Tracking down the owner is not simple, but the reeve Dominik Vallison can help with this if visited at Town Hall. It turns out that the last legal owner has died. So, Mister Vallison will sell title to the place for a pittance of 500 gp if the buyer promises to fix it up and put the eye sore to good use.

19. Osterman Manor
    This large and well-appointed manor house sits empty on the edge of town nearest Balentyne. It is easy to walk out the back porch into the woods and circle to the path up to Balentyne. . The house is large with a half dozen bedrooms. There is a large basement that is almost perfectly soundproof. There is plenty of space for multiple projects. There is even a high steeple (long ago this was a church) where you can see the watchtower on clear days. It is currently owned by a Baron Osterman who no longer lives in Aldencross. However, the ownership is handled by the reeve Dominik Vallison. Dominik would prefer to sell the place outright for the bargain price of 5,000 gp. But he will also rent it per month for 400 gp.

20.. A shack in the woods

A small three roomed single storey shack in the woods currently rented by the alchemist Teryth Caldwin h.

Last edited by DrK; 2021-12-28 at 01:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #478

NecromancerGuy

Once on land and in hostile territory Oghash uses her Iron Circlet to change her appearance dramatically. In place of the heavyset, muscular half-orc woman is a much more slender, nearly pretty human woman. Her hair remains black and her eyes stay green, but the foul brand on her face shifts to appear as a large, discolored birthmark. Her orcish heritage is completely disguised, though the complex, tribal tattoos remain (also shifted - to something more like a henna tattoo, unusual but not obviously monstrous). "How do I look?" she asks, her voice lighter and more gentle, in spite of the deliberate cadence of her words.

Looking down at herself she makes a decidedly unfeminine sound and sighs. "I'm not good at this..." she mutters as she tries several different variations on her armored form. Finally she settles on a plain presentation, her chainmail visible on top of sturdy leather undergarments. She's clearly a warrior and adventurer, but looks nothing like her normal, monstrous form. "When the blood hits me I won't be able to control all this, but at least I won't look like a condemned murderer from Branderscar..." she says.

Obviously unhappy and uncomfortable, the woman looks to the others meaningfully. "You two should use the circlets. I won't know what to do here...will need your help to not give us away. Ahkmathi, will you take charge? Tell me what to do or say and I will do it, for the Dark Lord!"

When the town comes into view Oghash's sullen, quiet unhappiness becomes even more pronounced. "I already hate this place and want to see it burn..." she mutters, looking around at the nice buildings, pleasant greens, and happy people.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Before departing the ship

Ahkmathi gathered the items the Captain had kept, using a detect magic cantrip to review the armor, weapon, and even the gold and rum. As an afterthought, he also concentrated on the circlet he had been given, checking for any unusual dweomers. After he was done, he brought the others to the Captain's quarters and showed them what he had found. "It is clear the axe and armor are best used by Oghash.
    That being said, I think we must consider additional measures to maintaining the loyalties of the crew. Fear is an excellent tool, but not the only one in our repertoire ... and when one has a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail. I say this to suggest we use rewards as the carrot, in conjunction with 'sticks' by way of intimidation.

The armor Oghash uses now might work well for the new Captain, as well as any weapons you wish to bequeath upon him as an apostle of the Dark Lord. All the rum and a large portion of the gold coins might serve to satisfy their desire for tangible monetary compensation. I would suggest the ivory and seal meal be shared with the tribesmen they go to see. We must ensure they do not return to normal waters and engage in their standard activities just yet - not until they are able to change the ship significantly enough to mask its heritage. The warning the Cardinal gave us is to ensure we are not found out too soon - and I fear this ship arriving back in civilization might jeopardize our mission, both short and long term. To this end, perhaps a spell might serve as our 'stick.'

As for the Cardinal's gold, our orders were to recover it, least we waste valuable resources. I think using some of the funds in Aldencross as needed fits within the intent the Cardinal had. We will, however, need to be careful not to flood their local markets with strange gold and drawn attention to ourselves. I am also concerned that in a town that lives solely to support the tower, our arrival may come with no small amount of notoriety, and we will need a well-crafted fabrication to integrate ourselves quietly and seamlessly into polite society ... but I shall think more on that during our journey to the town.

Do we agree to the carrot and stick approach?"

If agreed, Ahkmathi would ensure the crew was rewarded, but also warned against landfall near any civilization centers. It was accompanied by low moans, flashes of light and a fiere mien.

On shore

Ahkmathi concentrated on his circlet and sleeves and his appearance changed to a dark haired human with leathers and a sword. He pulled out a book he had been perusing earlier, read several of the notes Cardinal Thron had shared with them regarding the town. He started to formulate a plan in his mind as he looked for key opportunities to exploit within the town. Once they neared the city, he paused for a moment to gather thoughts and provide the others with cautions, options and recommendations.

Spoiler: False Image
    Show

OOC - Using the circlet and sleeves to change was their on shore. Going with dark haired human warrior dressed in leathers. Not sure if I need a history or local check, but trying to address the following issues/questions:
    - What kind of people regularly come to town?
    - What key trade does the town need?
    - What nobles might suddenly arrive w/o warning ... and why?
    - How long can they stay as average travelers and not attract attention?

History checks as necessary - (3d20)[18][2][5](25) (modifier is +13)
    Local checks as necessary - (3d20)[13][3][16](32) (modifier is +14)
    Nobility - (1d20+12)[29]

Show
    Show

Show
    (4/day)

Last edited by Starbin; 2021-12-29 at 02:07 PM.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Titan in the Playground

Pausing on the low hills and seeing the low trade road arriving from the South the "adventurers" all pause to look North at Aldencross circling the cross roads. Behind them Lake Tarik glittered in the sunset, a tony speck all that remained of the Glorious Purpose" as it left, hold still heavy with gold and rum to keep the men happy and Rollo honoured to wear the armour of the Dark Apostle (Oghash).

Aldencross stood ready... And as Ahkmathi watched the town below he considered what he knew of it. The town was old, dating back to an old chruch but the town itself had built their Town Hall upon it and now it mainly served to fulfill the Garrison at Balentyne. Aldencross is a market town and it is not rare for smaller traders to come from all over to peddle their goods here. This will not be seen as suspicious or anything
    unusual. Adventurers bound for the savage north are not unknown either and many a young nble or Knight in training has passed through trying to hunt some of more impressive beasts or the rare monsters that still dwell within the lands of Talingrade. As he reads the notes he recalls the tales of Lord Haevlyn, a noble knight, well regarded in the capital and father of two children, the elder of which is also a knight in the Knights of alerion. He is wise and tacticatl and without you to aid the Fire Axe will likely easily repulse the horde. Also resident in the tower is Magister Tactitus, A recluse by nature, Tacitus has
    nothing but disdain for everyone in the watchtower save for Lord Havelyn for whom he manages a grudging respect. In the town the local two nobles are both old men, respectful of the town but leave most of the day to day running of the town to the reeve (Dominik Vallison).

In terms of the Tower that can be seen a couple of Miles to the North East Ahkmathi knows that its built atop the ancient dwarven bridge and foundations of an old dwarf fort. Although barring that he knows little esle. Although there were rumours of a previous Lord Commander with more earthy tastes and rumours of a passage between the ex-brothel and the tower.