New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: DrK Way of Wicked Take 2 IC

Ahkmathi Sek, Elven Conjurist

Back in the Test

Ahkmathi watched smugly as the others tried and failed to convince Balin about their relative innocence. Fortunately, the charade ended in violence as it was destined to, and in a whirlwind of blades and shouts, the holy knight was felled by the combined martial prowess of his companions. The elf nodded to himself, impressed by how well they worked together, but also watching for signs of weakness for future exploitation.

Nearly mindless rage, driven by base desires ... easily manipulated? Reliance on the bow, but what about something up close? Ah, clever use of his low center of gravity, but can he trip a wolf or a snake? And that one, always impatient and wanting faster results ... it will be your downfall...

He did smile upon seeing Stvari reach down and hold up the necklace they clearly had been sent to fetch. He nodded his head to the others and gave a wave of his arm that said, ‘After you.’

Training and the next mission

For the six weeks of training, Ahkmathi focused on improving his mind and the power he commanded, uncovering new arcane secrets previously outside his grasp. He even captured some of that power on vellum for future usage. After the six weeks, he felt more confident and powerful than ever before.

When they were called to the Cardinal to cement their pact and earn of their next task, Ahkmathi watched everything closely. Perhaps he would be in charge of a knot one day, and might need to perform similar rituals. He almost smiled at the nearly invisible symbol on the rug, all the while mentally cataloging the ceremony itself. At the end, he simply nodded his understanding and bowed his head and raised his own glass in acceptance of the task. ”To war ... and more.”

OOC - Arcana - (1d20+13)[18], Spellcraft - (1d20+10)[16], Religion - (1d20+12)[32] to understand the ritual and what the pact meant for practical purposes.
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Str 10 Dex 16 Con 12 Int 18 Wis 12 Cha 10
    AC 13 HP 16 Init +11 Move 30' / F +2 R +4 W +4
    Spells (4/3+1/2+1): detect magic, message, ghost sound, mage hand; enlarge person, silent image, color spray
    Skills: Arcana/Planes +13; Local/Religion/Nature/Dungeon +12; History/Engineering +11; Geo/Nobility+10; Spellcraft +10
    Teleport: 7/7
    Effect: low-light vision
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

For weeks, Stvari sparred with all manner of servant and monster. The first time a devil was summoned to meet him on the training field, it was more than a little shock. Without Tiadora's timely intervention, he surely would have been slain on the mat, but in the aftermath he learned that that was a lesson in itself. "Stop being lazy, you fool," she spat. "You are not safe, here. This is not to be comfortable. Next time, I will let the devil rip your throat open if you're fool enough to allow it." Ashamed for the first time in recent memory, Stvari's eyes fell to the floor. "Yes, mistress. Of course. It won't 'appen agin."

A few days later, the devil was summoned behind him, on his way in to the training chamber. Stvari had long since learned to not trust Tiadora or the others in the house, and was dodging before its feet hit the ground. Much like most of his other challenges, once the Dwarf had the chance to set the flow of combat, he took full advantage of his expertise and his opponent's precarious position. A savage kick to the throat crushed the creature's windpipe and sent it back from whence it was summoned. "That was a b**chy move, mistress." Tiadora stepped out from hiding, and raised an eyebrow at his indiscretion. "Whatever made you think I wasn't a b**ch?" she asked, with a dangerous smirk. Stvari returned the smirk. "Fair, that."

Stvari's eyebrows climb northwards at the opulence of the dining room. After a moment, he masters himself, unsure why he expected any different. He glances around the room and smiles wickedly at Ahkmathi. "You're too easy to read, Elf. Whada ya see?" He smirks knowingly at the sudden display of violence, having nearly been on the receiving end himself several times over the last few weeks.

He watches in dutiful (and wise) silence, as Thorn performs the ritual sealing and lines out the first steps of his plan. As the instructions are laid out, Stvari smiles wider and wider in expectation. He steps forward to accept the clay seal, holding it gently like a favored prize. "Aye, master," he nods- more like a bow. "We won't fail ya."

The Dwarf drains his wine greedily in one long pull. "To war!"

3. - Top - End - #333
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oghash enjoys her meals over the next several weeks, though perhaps not as much as the first after murdering Sir Balin. It seems that the broken-spirits of the servants do not lend to as flavorful meals...at least that's the impression she gives the others.

Her training is spent in a combination of ferocious battle, during which she lashes out with only barely contained rage as she struggles against the mental assault of Tiadora's spells, and intense study of the Infernal tongue.

Spoiler: Infernal
    Show
    "Mistress Tiadora, I still do not like your magic, but thanks to your efforts I will better serve our master, Asmodeus, and his chosen servant, the Great One. The Lord of the Ninth still confuses me, though. You say that his Law is absolute...but I don't understand that strictness. My strength is from my rage, and I do not wish to cage it - or allow it to be caged. Is this still the will of the Prince of Hell?"

Though not yet studying religion, so much as attempting to speak the language, the half-orc seems committed to better understanding both. She clearly struggles against Tiadora's magic more when calm and not raging - something that seems to make her confident and smile with feral hunger.

Visibly flinching from the powerful magic wielded during their anointment ceremony, Oghash stands a little taller upon the pronouncement of Cardinal Thorn. She watches and listens closely to his directions, smiling at the various murders he orders. When he mentions the greed of Captain Odenkirk she seems confused, but waits to voice her question until after the toast. "Does not 'greed' and ambition please Asmodeus? Why would Captain Odenkirk's be against the Dark Prince's will? I don't understand...And is the bugbear Sakkarot one of us? One of the faithful damned?"

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

In Training

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post

Her training is spent in a combination of ferocious battle, during which she lashes out with only barely contained rage as she struggles against the mental assault of Tiadora's spells, and intense study of the Infernal tongue.

"Mistress Tiadora, I still do not like your magic, but thanks to your efforts I will better serve our master, Asmodeus, and his chosen servant, the Great One. The Lord of the Ninth still confuses me, though. You say that his Law is absolute...but I don't understand that strictness. My strength is from my rage, and I do not wish to cage it - or allow it to be caged. Is this still the will of the Prince of Hell?"
    Though not yet studying religion, so much as attempting to speak the language, the half-orc seems committed to better understanding both. She clearly struggles against Tiadora's magic more when calm and not raging - something that seems to make her confident and smile with feral hunger.

Tiadora grinned with a savage grin and shook here. "Our Great master does not control our whims, only channel the direction. Use your rage, but only to further his glories, unleash your rage on those who would be his enemies." She pauses, delicate fingers peeling some strange exotic looking blood red fruit before she slowy eats it with relish. "All is permissible in the servants of the Lord of the Nine, nothing is denied his true servants. Seek to glory him in all you do and he will reward you. Do not break his laws and you shall rise far and high and know naught but power and excess."

At the Feast

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    Visibly flinching from the powerful magic wielded during their anointment ceremony, Oghash stands a little taller upon the pronouncement of Cardinal Thorn. She watches and listens closely to his directions, smiling at the various murders he orders. When he mentions the greed of Captain Odenkirk she seems confused, but waits to voice her question until after the toast. "Does not 'greed' and ambition please Asmodeus? Why would Captain Odenkirk's be against the Dark Prince's will? I don't understand...And is the bugbear Sakkarot one of us? One of the faithful damned?"
    "The Captain craves gold but would not offer his fealty. His gold lust is for himself only. His lust for power will not bring down Mitran faith. He is no friend to the Dark Prince, he does not even know that is our true master as he fears our Lord Asmodeus.", the Cardinal seems angry about the Captain, and its clear he views the Captain as a tool. As for the bugbear, there is a hint of a smile, "Sakarot is one of us truly. He is of the Avernian knot, you will remember your oaths and that he is on the same path and mission as you. He is crucial to the plans. He has the strength of will and the tactical accumen to bring fire and steel to the north reaches of Talingrade"

As he dines on the fine fayre, some of it you realise as you size up the delectable platter of ribs is likely Sir Balin himself! the Cardinal looks at you happily. "You have done well and I'm sure you will bring down Castle Balntyne, but I give you these." and he hands Ahkmathi a pair of clay tablets with the Asmodean sigil on them, "Break one when you stand in the burning ruins of the Tower with the Lord COmmanders head at your feet. Then Tiadora will reward you. A second in case of direst emergency, but if you abuse our privilege I leave you in Tiadora's tender mercies..." the tone of voice and the woman's smile suggest that there is little mercy there.

"Have a care at the keep. Balentyne has stood and defended the gorge and the Watch Wall for many years. Lord Havelyn is a wise Lord Captain and he has many soliders. Guile and and cunning not just brute strength will be needed from you." He strokes the long beard, "There is small town, Aldencross that supports the Castle. Start there and you plan your moves accordingly after the Captain drops you off after delivering the weapons."

anything else you guys want to do or happy to move onto the voyage?
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

5. - Top - End - #335

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    In Training
    Oghash listens closely to Tiadora's teachings, both in respect to how best to use her barely-pent-up fury and the religious aspects. The half-orc seems to be both intense and clearly respectful of the other woman, looking her eye-to-eye when receiving instruction, and bowing her head in deference to corrections.

Spoiler: Infernal
    Show
    "I will do as you say and work to glory Asmodeus above all others. Please continue to guide me - I will listen and try to learn the lessons well..."

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    At the Feast
    For a moment Oghash seems confused, as if the Cardinal were angry at her for asking. As he explains further she nods and realizes that his ire is directed at the captain instead. "Please forgive my ignorance, Great One, but if we are the Ninth Knot, which knot is the 'Avernian' one? I am trying to learn of our Master - Tiadora has been helping me practice the Dark Speech of the Nine Hells - but I am still ignorant..." she asks humbly, before adding, "We will certainly greet Sakarot as a brother and give him aid."

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

In Training

Salem continued to hone his skills with blade and bow, in increasingly deadly tests of prowess. Longbow drill included shooting summoned creatures before they could come close enough to maul him, and on the occasions that they did, Salem was left to contend with the creatures with only a knife in his hand and Asmodeus' infernal name on his lips. The knife itself was another boon from the Cardinal's armory, at a glance nothing more than an ordinary (if well-made) hunting knife with a matte-black finish to dull the blade. But when the firelight caught the knife's edge just so, a multitude of tiny specks like a streak of red stars in a black sky would glint with palpable malice.

In other, more open-ended tests, minor devils were set loose on the manor grounds. Salem was tasked with hunting them down before they could escape, or ring a bell set up in the courtyard, or pilfer a trinket from Salem's quarters. In each contest the rules grew more elaborate and arbitrary, the targets more elusive, and sometimes Salem himself was hunted in turn.

In addition to merely improving his martial skill and physical training, Salem was given access to the first circle of Asmodean scriptures. It was but a shallow wade at the edge of infinite theological depths of whose scale he was still only dimly aware. Nevertheless, it was not the garbled second-hand interpretation to which he'd been exposed by a crude soldiers' lodge playing at being some ancient esoteric order. This was his first taste of the true Word—the pure Word—and Salem was enraptured. This is the way it has to be. No, this is the way it is, when you strip away all the pretensions and sugarcoating.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2021-06-17 at 01:23 AM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi simply smiled humorlessly at the dwarf, murmuring, ”Power ... and glory purpose ...” He raised an eyebrow at Oghash’s questions, glad she wasn’t summarily executed. He would need her arm before all this was done. Fortunately, the Cardinal provided more information regarding the mission. When he handed the mage the tablets, Ahkmathi bowed his head. ”As you command, lord.”

OOC - Nothing for me - just need to wrap up the CLW wand
    Show
    Spells (4/3+1/2+1): detect magic, message, ghost sound, mage hand; enlarge person, silent image, color spray
    Skills: Arcana/Planes +13; Local/Religion/Nature/Dungeon +12; History/Engineering +11; Geo/Nobility+10; Spellcraft +10

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

The feast is enjoyable and you are wined and dined mightily by the Adrastus before you all stagger sated to your rooms for the last night. In the morning you assemble on the docks in the early morning light, the spring air blowing lightly and the sounds of the gulls on the wind suggesting that you may not be that far from the coast. Approaching the Frosthamar you can see its a longship, of a design not native to Talingrade and the hefting tall and muscular blonde bearded sailors are likewise more akin to the barbarians North of the Watch Wall then your average Mitran. The boat is some 90ft from dragon prow to rudder with a beam of ~20ft at the widest point. The deck is open, only a single small cabin at the back the only cover and the long hull is filled with crates and supplies. Its not exactly luxury!

The men talk in a language you don't recognise and seem a surly lot. The Captain, a tall burly man in somewhat ill advised chain vest with a long axe at his waist and a straggly beard eyes you up as you approach. "You passage for the North. The Cardinal pays well, I ask no question. Keep out the way of the crew. Row when I say row and don't cause trouble." he gestures at the river, "If you trouble me you swimj to the north." His eyes, are fixated on Oghash in particular, clearly unsure on how to take the appearance of the hefty orcish woman.

Looking back at you all he points aboard, "We leave when last of the water loaded, it be 10 days up the coast before pass Capital, then 12 day to Seal island and the North."
    Last edited by DrK; 2021-06-20 at 09:06 AM.

9. - Top - End - #339

NecromancerGuy

Oghash takes a moment before leaving the compound to focus and use her iron circlet, using the magic to try and disguise herself and smooth her appearance. Unfortunately, the distinctive brand on her face can only be turned into a "scar," leaving her appearance better, but not pleasant. When told they might be rowing she growls subvocally before looking to the others for confirmation. "Are we passengers, or hired hands? He's being paid enough - we shouldn't have to row his damned longboat!" she says to her companions. "Who wants to put him in his place?" she asks, with a deliberate look in the captain's direction.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari snorts at the bluster between captain and Oghash. "He's just full of 'imself, is all. No need for a fuss," he mutters giving the brawny woman a pointed glare.

"You heard Thorn," he whispers, a few moments later. "Play nice for three weeks and you can eat his liver."

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi nodded to the Captain. He stood as a tall human with red hair wearing leathers and a sword at his hip. The outfit and look were false, but the sword was real - an item he picked up from the Carsinal’s excess weapons. ”Our patron is certainly well resourced and powerful. We shall not deter you from the tasks he so generously paid you for. We shall expect similar courtesy. Perhaps one of your sailors could show us to our quarters - as emissaries of our mutual employer, I suspect you would prefer we not distract the crew.”

When the group was alone, he murmured in agreement. ”Aye, Oghash ... you shall likely be placing your axe in his spine. But as the ugly one said, mind your manners and bide your time. Best we watch the crew closely; we may have to navigate this thing should a conflict break out earlier than expected.”

OOC - gotta keep an eye on these thugs.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Sarris leans in to speak with his knot, "If he's this friendly with guests, I wonder how he treats his normal crew. Maybe we'll be doing everybody aboard this boat a service."

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

"Weren't listenin' close, were ya?" Stvari interrupts. "Thorn told us to see them off the same way. Just. Play. Nice. For three weeks." His gaze is heavy as he rounds the little convene. Then he pointedly turns away from his companions and faces the captain.

Stvari has to raise his face dramatically to meet the tall man's gaze. "Aye, we know the drill," he grunts. "We'll row when the time comes. Better than running aground or swimming with some nasties. No need to make something of it."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Genuine attempt to smooth things over from Stvari here, XD
    (1d20-4)[-3] diplomacy

14. - Top - End - #344

NecromancerGuy

Oghash grumbles silently, her conversation with the others intended to be private and not immediately exposed to the similarly surly captain. "If I have to row, someone else is going to be unhappy too," she says in a final, parting shot before grumpily climbing onto the boat.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

Salem had returned to the guise of a humble hunter and woodsman, but his bearing had if anything grown more imperious.

"Enough," he hissed. "Unless you can sail this ship."

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Its a forsty start to be sure aboard the well named Frosthammar and as the longship sets sail, the crew (not the "heroes") rwing down the river the Captain ignores you pointedly and gestures to an area around the prow and the crew make an effort to line up some crates and barrels to give you the illusion of a "room" on the open deck, although with the wind whistling past and the spray from the sea as you reach the open ocean its hard to fake!

Although a rudimentary roof can soon be made with spare sailcloth to give you a nice tent aboard the prow for you all to crowd into and offer an illusion of privacy. The gruff and rude Odenkirk showing yo the map and tracing the path up the coast past ironically your starting point of Brandescar, then up the fertile coast of the Mitran heartlands and even past the sprawling city of Daveryn where the holy church of Mitra has it heart. The city is second only to the capital Matharyn (and along with Ghastenhall on the western coast) is one of the three great metropolis's of the continent.

As you travel north the mood softens slightly, the crew growing accustomed to you and the trade winds on the open seas needing little help from the oars. Occasionally as you pass fisher boats or within sight of land Odenkirk waves and smiles to the passing people, and if asked speaks gruffly. "Fools not remember a smile, but soldiers look to troubled ones..." he offers by way of explanation. And in light of the ease of passage it seems to work. The sight of the city is most impressive as you pass by in the early morning light, the sunlight shining off the domes of the church towers that dot the city.
    Odenkirk steers wide of the yawning harbour mouth a shake of his head if anyone asks about stopping for shopping a grunted "Customs and guards thick as sharks in chum" he mutters pacing the deck nervously and barking orders at the crew until the city passes to the south.

From Daveryn you know its about 5 days mroe hard sailing until you draw parallel with the Watch wall and pass beyond in to the seas around the Savage North and the Lands of the strange tribal Yutak people that dwell near seal island. Any thoughts on the 4th day after the city however are paused as from the rigging atop the mast you hear one of the crew shouting in alarm and as you all step out from under the crude netting you can see a small cutter with a blue and white checked sail and sun burst of talingrade. Odenkirk storms down the deck barking orsers in his own tribal tongue to his men who make sure to hide weapons as he looks at you. "She quick. small, faster than Frosthammar" the last said with a frustrated kick at the heavy crates of weapons bound for the horde, "We talk or fight? You tell what you want... Maybe 20 soldiers..." he adds eying the small single masted sloop that is thinner and smaller than the longship. (And about 1000ft back currently)

17. - Top - End - #347

NecromancerGuy

Oghash grumbles to herself, but works diligently to set up crates and a tarp to make their passage more comfortable. The half-orc seems to show deference to those party-members with magical prowess, while expecting those without to help her with the heavy lifting and grunt work, but doesn't come right out and say anything to that effect. When the captain shows their progress on the map she looks curiously, nodding to herself as she notes that they're moving north (something she suspected already).

At the approach of the Mitran patrol ship, Oghash audibly growls and looks to her party members for recommendations. "What happens if they find these?" she asks, gesturing to the weapons crates. "You're a smuggler - how does this go? Can they be bribed or do we need to kill them?" she continues, the familiar bloodlust showing briefly in her expression at the thought of shedding Mitran blood...

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

"We can't outrun them, you say." Salem paused a moment while the proverbial clockwork ground away in his head. "Then we should play dumb as long as we can plausibly get away with. Then we heave to when ordered to do so, let them right in close, and try to talk our way out of it--we can't risk losing too many experienced sailors in the melee. And we can't risk having them report us if we drive them off now, or otherwise allow them to flee. At least if their whole ship disappears, they'll be more likely searching for them than for us. Accidents happen all the time at sea."

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari nods. "Let 'em in close. If ya can talk us clear, grand. If ya can't, they sink." He seems to consider the conclusion foregone, and his gruff exterior hides any sign of genuine concern.

"Just don't let 'em run. You've got harpoons to make sure they can't get away?"

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Curious if we let them board at all, what if a few remain on their ship? We need to make sure we get them all. One thought is that we are wanted criminals. Why not pose as captives, that way a few of us are taken aboard their ship to take down any there as well?"

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi glances from the Captain to the ship a thousand pacers back. He remembered the Cardinal’s warnings about leaving no witnesses to their mission ... and not to trust the Captain. Hell, the man might sell them out if he thought he could make a profit with the weapons ... or to save his own hide.

”I think we will need to deal with the ship one way or another; however, it would behoove us to leave no chance these scum carry word back of a ship sailing north. Whether we bribe or sweet talk them, even Talingrade sailors wag their tongues. I think it best we lure them in with false smiles and honeyed words, and use the distraction to disable their ship. Then we slaughter them all and sink their vessel.”

Ince the Captain left to attend to the sailing of the ship, Ahkmathi whispered to the others, ”Warch the Captain and his men, least he try to betray us for his own gain. Also, I can enlarge one of you, likely out resident rager, to set upon their ship from below ... if you still possess a means to swim across and damage their boat? I also suggest I enact an illusion to mask our presence.

What say you lot?”

OOC - Ofdering up my perspectives

Also, what would be the reason a ship would be sailing north? Any good resources or legal trade?
    KS - (1d20)[2] ... we’ll add for the appropriate skill

Show

22. - Top - End - #352

NecromancerGuy

Oghash grins at the opportunity to shed blood. In a moment she holds a small bottle with blue liquid inside. "Tiadora said this would help me swim better, but I've never been in this much water," she says. "If you en-large (?) me," she begins, some hesitancy at the word. "I will try. It doesn't look too bad...should I take off my armor?"

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    So...the Elixir of Swimming won't prevent drowning, nor does it give Oghash a swim speed.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A creature with a swim speed can move through water at its indicated speed without making Swim checks. It gains a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform a special action or avoid a hazard. The creature can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered when swimming. Such a creature can use the run action while swimming, provided that it swims in a straight line.
    The +10 from the Elixir, if combined with the opportunity to Take 10, should be good enough to do this, though. @DrK - what is the DC for swimming in the seas at the moment? 10? 15? Can Oghash take 10 after drinking the Elixir? I'd like to do some preparatory math to ensure Oghash will have good odds of success before taking the plunge.

As a player I am a bit nervous about this, cause in real life I'm a good swimmer, but open-ocean swimming is a bit more difficult than people realize. Removing her armor will help (removes the -4 ACP for a +10 bonus, even without the Elixir), and Oghash doesn't have a good AC when raging anyway. Maybe I'm overthinking it because I was just swimming last week in the Pacific and surprised at the difficulty.../shrug

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

Captain Odenkirk looks at Oghash and the bloodthristy comments and grins, "We can try bribe. But Mitran honest, tight ringed." he sneers and shakes his hand, "Maybe bribe, maybe not. If not then shark feed and shark happy." Although he does glance at the small cutter with a whistful look maybe considering if he could apprehend it somehow and keep it rather than scuttling it you assume.

The heroes gather briefly under the tarpaulin to select their chosen disguise strategy and prepare for fighting if that happens as the small naval cutter slowly approaches, long sweeps of its oars supplementing the billowing blue and white sail with the great Mitran sunburst in its centre. Odenkirk by comparison allows the sail to lose the wind, the frosthammar slowing to just make steerage although you note the sail can be dropped to catch the wind with a single well place slice of a rope should things go awry.

As the small cutter closes you can see the name emblazoned on the prow "Silver Opsrey" and a boarding party of ~8 militia marines in leather armour with swords or crossbows held ready, the rest of the men manning the sail or the oars. At the head of the marines is a tall and regal looking young man in a fine silken tabard over gleaming polished leather chest plate with blonde hair whipping in the breeze and a neatly pointed beard. As he closes to within ~30ft of the stern of the Frosthammar he shouts out the cultured tones of a the capital in his accent. "Trader heave too for customs inspection. Drop the sails and assemble your crew smartly now on deck by the Law of Talingrade!" he calls.

Odenkirk for his part nods slowly, giving the impression he barely understood and slowly shouts for his men to line themselves up on the deck, although none are visbily armed you on the deck can see the axes, hammers and blades concealed just below the gunwales or in hidden in coils of rope or under sailcloth. Odenkirk glances to you all, "Make move now eh? Or speak and try and pay off yellow haired fool."

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    ”What say you lot?”
    Stvari grins wickedly at the Wizard's suggestion. "Ya sure you're really an Elf? I always found 'em stifling, but that's a downright fun plan ya jest made."

As the cutter approaches, Stvari takes his position near the rear of the vessel to slip into the ocean unnoticed. He hangs on the far side of the frosthammar's pointed bow, and takes several deep breaths to stead himself before carefully lowering himself the rest of the way into the ocean. With hardly a splash, surely ignored amidst the ocean's breakers on the ship's hulls, he drops into the waves and begins paddling with slow, even strokes. As he crosses in front of his vessel, he takes a deep breath and dives beneath the surface, pumping his muscled arms forcefully through the water.

Show
    I'm gonna go ahead and post rolls consisted with the plan we described.
    Notably: (1d20+8)[23] stealth check (not sure it's necessary, but seems probable)
    and if I can take 10 on swimming, I'll do it. If not: (1d20+8)[19] swim check

I think the specific goal is to swim to the far side of the cutter and board them from there. If DarkOne has another idea, I'm open to it.

25. - Top - End - #355

NecromancerGuy

Oghash nods and makes herself ready, deciding to keep her armor but putting her non-combat gear carefully to the side. "Don't let any of these mongrels mess with my stuff, please," she says to those staying onboard as she drinks her elixir and slips into the water, holding onto a line as the other boat approaches before taking a deep breath and plunging beneath the waves to come up on the other side of the enemy vessel.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    With a +16 to swim and 15 Constitution (before raging), I suspect Oghash can do all that I described safely...maybe easily. Once on the other side she will ready her axe to strike at the hull of the ship, both to get something to hold onto the side (unless there is another line dragging in the water, which would be easier) and to begin sinking the vessel. Do you need attack rolls or anything for this, DrK?

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

As the boat closes there is a dull thunk as the smaller patrol craft draws alongside, and a narrow plank with a hoked end is draped over the side allowing the young officer and 5 of his men to cross. Aboard the launch the remaining Mitran's are split between doing "sailor things", coiling ropes etc... and the other 8 or so covering the deck with the shortbows. Odenkirk steps forward towards the officer, trying his best to look friendly as Akthami, Salem and Sarris appear disgused as other northmen crew.

The dwarf and orc slip over the side from under the tarpaulin using the bulk of the frosthammar for cover until they can both dive under the hull to emerge on the far side of the small cutter. The wooden planks giving little purchase until both can grab hold of the straight edges of the rudder at the rear of the vessel. THe officer looks around the ship. "I would like to see permits of Trade and inspect your cargo. We have been warned of smugglers sneaking contraband to the Savage North" he says in clipped tones as his 5 men spread out ushering the sullen looking northmen back away from them. Odenkirk tries to feign ignorance but its clear that the officer is not convinced....

do any on deck want to step in?

In the water its cold, the salty water stinging your skin and your weapons weight you down. But dwarf and orc manage to grasp the rudder, the sounds of the water slapping on the hull drowning out most of the noise from the deck. The rudder offers a convenient (DC10) ladder of sorts to scale the 8ft up the side of the ship and over the low gunwale should you so wish.

It would be a damage rolls (as sunder) or a Str (break) check to damage the wooden planks. But may make some noise

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

"Oy, climb aboard. Can't sink it quickly from here!" Stvari whispers to Oghash in hushed tones. He begins to take his own advice, easily scooping hand over hand up from the rear of the ship. He pauses just before bringing his feet out of the water to make sure Oghash is following and doesn't need help.

Show
    Stvari has a +10 mod, so unless significant penalties apply, he can't fail, and almost certainly can't fail so badly that he falls. If need be, I'll use an action or two to assist Oghash to climb aboard.

Stealth: (rolled OOC) 20 Also would use as much time as reasonably allowed to get close. @DrK: do you want us to post combat initiation and such?

28. - Top - End - #358

NecromancerGuy

Oghash nods and begins climbing, her motions confident and practiced...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Climb: (1d20+6)[14]. Once up, she will (briefly) use Stealth: (1d20)[9] to try and get within a move action of unsuspecting Mitran sailors. Then, when combat begins, she will Bloodrage and go to work!

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

On the deck of the Frosthammar Captain Odenkirk turns to look for his passengers and looks momentarily confused as they don't appear to be there, merely the pile of the cargo at the prow looks like there is no gab (as covered up by the elven mage). THe Young Officer of the Naval ship looking less and less patient with the flustered captain.

On the cutter itself Stavri climbs up ad manages to roll quietly over the gunwale and duck down behind a barrel of water, sadly though Oghash emerges and now massive, at a hulking 12ft tall, enlarged by elven magic rolls onto the deck with an audible thunk. The crew on the deck of the naval ship turning in surprise as an axe wielding giant climbs aboard their deck and a shout of alarm rings out! Aboard the Frosthammar Oghash's dramatic arrival can be seen clearly as the northmen look on in a mixture of awe and amusement....

PCs have a surprise round

Aboard the Frosthammar is the Mitran officer and 5 of his crew with weapons drawn
    Aboard the cutter there is 14 crew. 6 sorting oars, coiling ropes etc... 8 with bows drawn. The cutter is some 40ft long and 15ft wide

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari doesn't need a lot of encouragement to close the distance with the archers. His blade appears in his hand and begins to lash out at the unsuspecting Mitrans with apparent abandon.

Spoiler: Stvari, surprise round and round 1
    Show
    Stvari Inhibiraj
    Male LE Dwarf Monk (Maneuver Master), Level 3, Init 2, HP 25/25, Speed 30
    AC 16, Touch 16, Flat-footed 14, CMD 22 ****, Fort 6**, Ref 6**, Will 8**, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 2*
    Unarmed Strike +6 (1d6+4, x2)
    Temple sword +6 (+9 for trips) (1d8+6, 19-20, x2) (trip friendly, wielded with both hands)
    Flurry of Trip/dirty trick +7/+7 (-, )
    (+2 Dex, +4 Natural)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 18, Cha 6
    Condition Hardy, Stability, Dimdweller, Shadowhunter
    Evasion
    Ki pool: 1/1
    Stunning fist: 2/2
    Maneuver defense: gain AoOs for dirty trick and trip, even when usually not

If you need initiative for rounds past surprise: (1d20+2)[19]

I'm assuming Stvari starts out on the deck? If not, the surprise round is obviously getting to the deck.
    If charge is on the table, I'll charge into the bow users (hoping to threaten at least a few of them), and use the attack to trip: (1d20+11)[20] vs CMD (flat footed?)

If charge isn't on the table, but Stvari can 5-foot step into trip range, do that: (amend above roll by -2)

For any applicable AoOs, I will prefer trip attempts to dealing damage right now. I'll roll all three potential AoOs (combat reflexes) here:

(1d20+9)[19] trip AoO
    (1d20+9)[21] trip AoO
    (1d20+9)[21] trip AoO

If any of those can't reasonably be trips and are instead attacks, amend roll by -3 and (1d8+6)[8] damage, (1d8+6)[14] damage, (1d8+6)[13] damage