New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: DrK Way of Wicked Take 2 IC

"Well, how about it? Let's find some wood to float on if we aren't so confident about the swim."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi Sek, Elven Conjurist

Ahkmathi crossed his arms as he peered down to the bridge, then across the river. After a moment of musing, he speaks. ”Let us consider both options. While crossing the river does avoid close proximity to soldiers, it will require no small amount of skill in swimming … or at the least engineering to build suitable aids to cross the river in a timely and efficient manner. We could use driftwood, but then we're at the mercy of the current and may find ourselves swept down the river and in front of searching troops. Additionally, remember - if we can see the building, they can potentially see us crossing the vast expanse of this river.”

He paused to glance back towards the stone structure. "It appears to be an outpost, so it may be sparsely occupied. However, given news of our escape may have reached here already, we cannot guarantee taking the building would be as easy as a sleepy outpost. If we kill the guards that we do find, their absence may raise concerns and provide a reason to search this region more thoroughly. Given the effort we've spent to link up with our benefactor, I would think setting his lands lousy with Mitrans would be a faux pas. "

Unfurling one arm to peer at his nails, Ahkmathi continued. "My recommendation is to cross here. First, Grumblejack may be able to cross without issue, but I will cast one of my magiks upon Oghash, increasing her size significantly. The two of you can help the group across.

Additionally, I will conjure a false image to hide our passage from any prying eyes from the bridge. Any questions before we get started?"

OOC - Let's have Grumblejack try and step into the river and see if he can tough the whole way across. If so, we can probably work something out pretty easily. If that looks to be too much work for one person (or we need a bigger person to help) Ahkmathi will cast enlarge person on Oghash, doubling her height and multiplying her weight by 8 … that should be enough to make it across the river without being swept away. Between her and the ogre, I figure we should be able to get across fairly easily.

Once the bigguns are ready to 'ford' the river, Ahkmathi will case silent image (concentration) to place a peaceful image of the river, without us in it. Uses a few spells, but is the more conservative, safer approach I think ... [/spoiler]

Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Str 10 Dex 16 Con 12 Int 18 Wis 12 Cha 10
    AC 13 HP 16 Init +11 Move 30' / F +2 R +4 W +4
    Spells (4/2+1): detect magic, message, ghost sound, mage hand; enlarge person, silent image, color spray
    Skills: Arcana/Planes +12; Local/Religion/Nature/Dungeon/History +10; Geo/Eng/Nob +10; Spellcraft +9
    Teleport: 7/7
    Effect: low-light vision
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oghash listens closely, her eyes somewhat dull and her expression confused. When Ahkmathi finishes and asks for questions she raises a hand and says, "You used too many words I don't understand, but you want Grumblejack and me to walk across the river while you hide us, right? If when you make me bigger I can reach the bottom I will carry you." She then waits for the elf to cast his spell with an apprehensive and nervous look on her face...

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi inwardly snarled at the woman’s dense response, but outwardly he simply nodded. ”Yes. I make you big with magic. I also hide us with magic. You and the ogre carry us across. ”

He looked to the others, commenting, ”Prepare yourselves - we cross soon. Oghash will only remain larger for two minutes.”. Once the group was ready, he transmuted Oghash, then laid his illusion on the river between them and the bridge.

OOC - So maybe we use branches to float and Grumble and Og Push us across. Alternatively, with 10’ reach on each side , they can hand us across.

The silent image will simple keep us hidden behind a screen of an uneventful river.

Show
    Spells (4/2+1): detect magic, message, ghost sound, mage hand; enlarge person, silent image, color spray
    Skills: Arcana/Planes +12; Local/Religion/Nature/Dungeon/History +10; Geo/Eng/Nob +10; Spellcraft +9

5. - Top - End - #65

NecromancerGuy

Oblivious to the impact her uneducated response inspired in Ahkmathi, Oghash nods unconfidently as she steps towards the water to test the speed of the current and the river depth...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Survival (1d20+5)[18] to try and get a solid footing. It doesn't look like we are worried about Oghash swimming, but she might end up holding her breath if the river is deep enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    You can hold your breath for a number of rounds equal to twice your Constitution score, but only if you do nothing other than take move actions or free actions.
    That looks like 30 rounds, or three minutes, before we are worried about checks. If the armor (enlarged) is heavy enough to help weight down Oghash but she can reach up high enough to carry her allies over then this could prove relatively easy.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Grumble and now the giant cannibal wade into the river, the water rising to their chests in the centre of the river, but their massive arms spans now easily able to hand the rest of the escaped convicts across the deepest part of the river so only the shallows needed to be waded into for the rets of the party. With some splashing, hidden by the background noises of the river and shielded by the illusionary scree you are able to cross the river....

On the far side being some few hundred feet from the outpost you can easily reach a small cluster of trees and bushes to get a clear look at the outpost, a shed with 2 horses and a cart outside and as you look you can see ~5 Mithran soldiers standing or wandering in and out of the small building, a warm glowing fire and the faint semll of cooking meat appaarent when they open the door

move on by or attack, your choice. You can choose to easily slink away if you wanted
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

7. - Top - End - #67

NecromancerGuy

As she shrinks back to regular size, Oghash's stomach can be heard audibly growling. When she sees the soldiers she quietly scowls and begins grinding her teeth together in obvious hatred. She doesn't do anything, though, instead looking off towards the deeper swamp meaningfully. It's clear she will follow the lead of the others, taking her place as rear-guard if they decide to skip the outpost of enemies.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Drawing his sword, Sarris prepares for a fight if necessary. "What about now?" he whispers. "Any way to split them up? Do you have any more tricks, mage? What about you Adrius? That silver tongue of yours is surely good for something."

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi shrugged his shoulders slightly, his brown still furrowed. He whispered, ”I still maintain the spell, which I could change into something more … entertaining. If someone could add splashes in a moment, we might be able to bring them closer. Alternatively, I could make it seem that we were heading across the river in the opposite direction … it may draw some of them away on a wild goose chase and you could finish the rest here. Or alternatively, you rush the lot now and slay them before they can do anything. I have a spell that may send several to sleep. Decide quickly, however ...”

OOC - Silent image is a concentration spell, so I figure Ahkmathi would keep it going until they departed the area. We could use it as a distract … images of young women … frolicking otters … us trying to cross the river … whatever.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

"I still think it's best to avoid them entirely, but we're better of killing the lot than distracting them by alerting them anyway. If we want to take 'em out, we ought to hunker down till night, kill the sentries, then move in and do the rest of the lot."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2020-11-15 at 04:04 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71

NecromancerGuy

"Alright - if we can wake a couple of them before they die so I can see the fear in their eyes," growls Oghash in agreement with the idea of a night time ambush.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Well, if we play this right and give bits of them to Oghash and the ogre, leaving some of their 'leftovers,' we could make it look like an animal attack. This swamp obviously has crocodiles. It could help deter further pursuit, or at least delay it if they see that even fully armed soldiers can fall prey to such beasts."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

With it being still in the afternoon and the evening twighlight still some hours away the heroes creep slightly closer to the bridge, the thick scrub and copses of trees lining the river giving good cover to shield their approach from prying eyes. Soon the ex-prisoners close to ~150ft from the guard post, and its clear that its a very small way station. At either end of the bridge stands a bored looking guard, the two men occasionally wandering to the middle of the bridge to chat and pass a metal flask between them, the slight sway to their walk suggesting that they've had too much already.

A pair of horses are tethered to the guard shack, and from within you can hear the excited conversation of 3 more men and what sounds like 2 women squealing in excitement. Cleary these are not the most "elite" of troops and you start to suspect that the corruption and ineptitude of Blackerly and the prison guards may be more wide spread within the ranks of the Mitran militia!

14. - Top - End - #74

NecromancerGuy

"They're drunk," whispers Oghash as she points at the guards on the bridge, "...and they aren't watching. We should kill them all...and then kill those at the camp...and then take their horses. Are there enough for all of us?" she asks as she draws her axe and stretches, readying herself to charge at the hated Mitrans.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    A Grease spell or similar BFC could hold both the drunk guards when they meet in the middle of the bridge. We could also try and disable the door to the guard shack and trap them there. What do all of you think?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi tapped his chin thoughtfully, a slight sheen on his forehead as he maintained his spell. Five dead guards near to the location of their benefactor might be foolhardy and il-advised ... or could demonstrate initiative and dedication to the cause. Besides, keeping Oghash bathing in the blood of others might be the key to keeping her fangs off his own neck.

”My spell could serve to distract them, but it is unlikely to hold their attention completely without chance or luck - two phenomena that I rather not rely on. I see multiple options, but two that stand out are the bold approach and the subtle approach. For the bold, we adjacent towards the bridge, keeping the outpost between us and the guards. Then once close enough, we charge and slay the two drunkards before they raise the alarm.

Alternatively, we still sneak up, but let out silver-tongued singer to trick them. Once he’s close, we rush forward to kill the two guards. I have little by way of appropriate spells, but crept a spray of color that may send them both to sleep. If I could get close first ... ”

OOC - Presuming no one needs silent image, Ahkmathi will drop the spell and prepare to cast color spray. @DrK - can we get close enough to fight the bridge guards w/o giving them line of sight?
    Stealth - (1d20+3)[8]

PS - sorry for the delay!

Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

WIth the bushes and the shadows of the evening sun the elf and the others starts creeping towards the bridge, as Ahkmathi and the others get to sme scruffy bushes some 30ft from the guards standing on the centre of the bridge he steps on a twig that cracks sharply and loudly. Even with half a flask of brandy of them both guards turn around, a hand clutching the long halberds.

"Who be that? Come out here and pay the bridge toll eh... Or if you're them escaped prisoners piss of back the prison..." at the second sentence they laugh a little chuckling at what they think is a fine joke. But both start advancing, second s later as they spy some of you their eyes bulge with surprise as they realsie you are the escaped prisoners!

OOC

ALL players go, then GRumblejack, then the guards.... Just goes to show drinking Brandy and Guard Duty do not mix

17. - Top - End - #77

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 1, Oghash's Status
    Show
    Oghash ("Fiendclaw" in Orcish)
    Female Chaotic Evil Half-Orc Bloodrager, Level 2, Init 3, HP 18+6/24+6, Speed 30 ft. (40 ft. base)
    AC 13, Touch 9, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 10, Ref 3, Will 4, CMB +8, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Greataxe +7 (1d12+12, 20/x3)
    Chainmail, (+6 Armor, +1 Dex, -2 Rage, -2 Charge)
    Abilities Str 23, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 12
    Condition Bloodrage (1/8 Rounds unless Adrius' uses Inspired Rage)
    Power Attack

As she chokes on her own fury, spitting as the foam drips from her mouth, Oghash charges the guards on the bridge, swinging her axe with murder in her eyes. She is surprisingly quiet, as if on some level she tries to not warn the rest of the Mitran guards nearby.

Show
    Free action to Bloodrage and charge the guards on the bridge, aiming to be in a position for an attack of opportunity if one tries to get away instead of standing to fight. (Since the guards haven't acted yet, I think she would be able to avoid risking an attack of opportunity from either of the guards, in spite of their polearms.

Charge attack: (1d20+9)[11] to hit, (1d20+9)[11] (20/x3), (1d12+12)[18] slashing damage, (2d12+24)[41] critical strike damage

Attack of opportunity if on is incurred: (1d20+7)[16] to hit, (1d20+7)[26] (20/x3), (1d12+12)[24] slashing damage, (2d12+24)[47] critical strike damage

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

With a single quick movement, Sarris charges the guard Oghash is not rending into and slashes down upon the inebriated guard with as much strength as he can muster, to ensure the blow is fatal.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    Not using my challenge, for the sake of retaining some AC at least.

Charging power attack (1d20+8)[9]
    Crit? (19-20) (1d20+8)[21]
    Damage (1d10+9)[14] slashing damage
    It crit, add (1d10+9)[13] slashing damage

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Salem loosed a pair of arrows at the further of the two guards.

Spoiler
    Show

Swift Action: Fervor --> Divine Favor

Full Attack:

Attack: (1d20+8)[22]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[9]

Attack: (1d20+8)[18]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[10]

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

The pair of savage ex-convicts charges onto the bridge but the fates conspire against them as they trip into each, both sprawling forwards and landing on the edge of the bridge, Sarris only narrowly avoiding pitching himself into the water, their movements looking as drunk as the guards! The second guard, a few feet further away turns to run towards the safety of the shack but gets no more than 3 steps before a pair of well placed arows pitch him to the ground coughing up blood from the punctured lungs.

The other guards manages a loud "Buy Mitra, help meee", the last syllable elongated as he screams in panic at the savage half naked maddened orc in front of him. Avoiding the axe he thrusts with the head of the halberd as there a few vices from within the hut, and a faint call of "Eh, what's that noise?"

Spoiler: Stabbing Oghash
    Show

Attack (1d20+3)[23] dam (1d10+3)[12]
    (he's got an penalty to Atk and Ac due to the drinking)

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Critial threat on Oghash
    Show

(1d20+3)[15] to confirm for a total of (2d10+18)[33] damage!!

Well that was just bad luck

22. - Top - End - #82

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 2, Oghash's Status
    Show
    Female Chaotic Evil Half-Orc Bloodrager, Level 2, Init 3, HP -10/24, Speed 30 ft. (40 ft. base)
    AC 13, Touch 9, Flat-footed 14, CMD 17, Fort 10, Ref 3, Will 4, CMB +8, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Condition Dying

"Ugh..." grunts Oghash as she collapses to the ground from the grievous wound.

Show
    Constitution Check to Stabilize, DC 10, -9 Penalty to the roll...(1d20+2)[6] (Failure, lost one more HP and noted it in the status above)

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Seeing one of his compatriots gutted, Sarris steadies himself, going for accuracy rather than power so as to avoid stumbling again. He focuses on the remaining guard and takes another swing.

Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    *Discrepancy in attack roll is from turning off Power Attack (+1), and not charging (-2)

Attack roll (1d20+7)[16]
    Crit? (19-20/x2) (1d10+7)[13]
    Damage (1d10+6)[9] slashing
    If crit, add (1d10+6)[10] slashing damage
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-12-06 at 08:25 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ettin in the Playground

Damnation!

Salem shot another two arrows at the first guard as he saw Oghash go down, hoping to buy himself the time to heal his erstwhile comrade for the prolonged fight he now expected.

Spoiler
    Show

Attack: (1d20+8)[25]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[8]

Attack: (1d20+8)[26]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[8]

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Between Sarris's blade chopping off his left arm as he seeks to pull the halberd free where its jammed in Oghash or the two arrow that slam into his chest its unknown what lands the killing blow on the guard, but even as Oghash collapses to the ground the guard is killed by the vengeful convicts... Even as the man dies there is anothere shout of "Vincent, what be happening out there?" from within the hut

no sign of the guards coming out yet though

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Sarris rushes the door of the building, stepping to its side to hold flat against the wall, sword at the ready to cut soldier who steps through. He holds off a full assault, however, to see if his companions have a different possible solution.

Spoiler
    Show
    Readied action to attack first armed soldiers to step through the door (hopefully making them flat-footed). He makes sure to avoid any windows, if present, and stands under any out-cropping, so as to remove as many lines of sight as possible.
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2020-12-06 at 08:33 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

"Nothing, 's all good." Salem made his best hasty impression of the dead soldier's voice to buy him and his comrades time, even a moment, while he tended to Oghash.

Spoiler
    Show

Salem will use Fervor first, which doesn't require a Verbal component and thus he won't be propitiating Asmodeus while he's trying to bluff here.

First Use: (1d6)[4]
    Second Use (if there's time): (1d6)[5]

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi let the group take on the drunk guards ... and almost gasped aloud at how quickly Oghash was impaled. The others managed to finish them off, but not before troops from inside the house started calling out. The wizard glanced from the prone body to the house, his mind calculating his best odds. Leave the lot to their own devices and ci to use on to their benefactor? There was a certain brutal simplicity to it, but what if they survived? Cast a spell on them and leave them for dead? Again, less rivals to deal with later, but what if they shrugged off his spells? Glancing at Oghash, he considered perhaps killing her ... or at the least letting her die. She was an odd one, and frightening. Given the air of arcane around her, she might actually pose a challenge later.

But why betray them? They had not wronged him thus far, and all of them might yet prove useful. Besides, one did not rise up to enslave a nation without a little help.

Moving over to the bloody mess that was the Rager, Ahkmathi slipped out a potion and poured it down her throat. ”You may not wake right away, but at least you won’t die ...”

OOC - CLW - (1d8+1)[3] guessing it’s a 1st level potion?
    Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Salem and Ahkmathi kneel beside the bloodied remains of the Bloodrager, both surprised that Oghash is still even alive! As they tend to the orc Sarris moves up to the door and with a lumbering creaking and crunching Grumblejack shuffles next to the door as well. The false voice and bravado don't go down too well, as it goes silent, but Sarris can hear the soft whisper of steel being unsheathed.

Seconds later the door opens and a guard leaps out, sword in hand, only to be met by a hulking 8ft ogre and Sarris's blade! Behind 2 more soldiers stand ready, one with a longbwo in hand, the other a young lad barely old enough to shave clutching his sword in both hands.

Grumble roars, a bark of "little manling FOOD!" and swings his club! THe first man out the door is smashed to the ground, skull exploding under the impact of the club leaing Sarris a clear path to the terrified looking youngster

OOC (1d20+6)[16] dam (2d8+6)[20] - AC 15 to hit

- go go players
    Last edited by DrK; 2020-12-08 at 06:13 AM.

30. - Top - End - #90

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 3, Oghash's Status
    Show
    Female Chaotic Evil Half-Orc Bloodrager, Level 2, Init 3, HP -7/24, Speed 30 ft. (40 ft. base)
    Condition Dying

"..." Oghash's breathing steadies as the curative potion staunches the flow of her lifeblood into the bridge beneath her.

Show
    Oghash is unconscious.