New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DrK Way of Wicked Take 2 IC

The Dwarf chuckles at Oghash's outburst. "Never two faced- unless you mean my scar." He winks with the eye not surrounded by blackened skin- a truly bizarre sight in the permanent torchlight. His posture remains comfortable and calm- his hand doesn't even approach the heavy-bladed sword lashed to his waist.

He just waits for Tiadora with an arrogant smirk, knowing already what her response will be.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi Sek, Elven Conjurist

Ahkmathi glanced at Salem with a look of disdain. ”So no holy words of wisdom regarding Asmodeus’ rules? Very well - I suppose we can improvise.” He turned in surprise as Tiadora’s approaches them and was followed by an ugly dwarf. Which is to say he was ugly even by dwarven standards. Oghash’s outburst was unexpected however.

”I will presume this means you know each other. In what way did this waddling stump betray you?””

OOC - Just asking ... Local - (1d20+10)[23] to know about the dwarf
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Str 10 Dex 16 Con 12 Int 18 Wis 12 Cha 10
    AC 13 HP 16 Init +11 Move 30' / F +2 R +4 W +4
    Spells (4/2+1): detect magic, message, ghost sound, mage hand; enlarge person, silent image, color spray
    Skills: Arcana/Planes +12; Local/Religion/Nature/Dungeon/History +10; Geo/Eng/Nob +10; Spellcraft +9
    Teleport: 7/7
    Effect: low-light vision
    Last edited by Starbin; 2021-01-27 at 09:14 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Salem returned Ahkmathi's disdain with equal contempt. "If you need a reminder, I'll go over it just before we begin. Now that the gang's all here," he said with a touch of amusement at the new arrival and his history with Oghash.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2021-01-27 at 06:51 AM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari lets out a short bark of a laugh at Ahkmathi's comment. "I didn't betray her. I beat her. Hahaha." He spares a glance for the furious Half-Orc, leering in amusement. "I suppose she would put it differently."

He continues to stand in something like parade rest, briefly noting what looks like entertainment on Tiadora's features as well. The Dwarf winks unattractively at Oghash. "'Sides, you couldn't kill me unless I let you. -Not that I'd want to try tying you up without four more hands, either..."

5. - Top - End - #155
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ohgash spends several seconds spluttering, spit literally dripping from her lips as she struggles to control her apoplectic rage. "He...he...he surprised me and tripped me! It took four men to hold me down - I killed two!" she finally answers, failing utterly to explain Stvari's "betrayal" but clearly demonstrating her hatred of the dwarf. "He then sold me to the Mitrans! Like a captured animal! GRAH!" she screams, her voice and emotional response feral and very animal-like indeed. "How are we supposed to trust him?!?"

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

"Three men," the Dwarf interjects, quietly.
    "It was a bounty, not a sale!" he insists, chuckling quietly. "Besides, you're fine now, and those two poor sods never went home, so what are you complaining about?"

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Tiadora claps her hands sharply, the noise like a whip crack. "Enough. Your history or animosity matters not. You have all signed the Compact. You are the 9th Knot, the Avernus knot. You will be allies and fight as one or I will peel off your skin and wear it to the next ball I attend." She hisses in frsutration before pointing at the cave,

"As I said, inside is the complex the Master has prepared. Find the amulet, if you fail you shall become my playthings, and my traiing will not be gentle..."

OOC
    You guys ready to head downstairs for some training?

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Sarris muses, "Ladies, ladies, please. I don't know this newcomer, but I expected better out of you, Oghash. Bickering? Really? We have plenty of opportunities for us to die in the future. Just make sure it isn't you, and maybe you'll get lucky and it will be the dwarf here."

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari forces his lips shut, but can't quite do away with his grin, as Tiadora essentially comes down on his side. Sarris' comment prompts another genuine snort of laughter, and causes the Dwarf's lips to split widely into a manically entertained grin. He falls into step with the party, near the front of the group.

After crossing the grounds to the cavern entrance, Stvari speaks up again. "I got no problem with the dark, and if anything nasty down there hears me, I deserve to die, eh?" He snorts again, letting you wonder if he's serious or sarcastic. "Don't be so close that torchlight reveals me, but don't be so far that I've bled out before you get in, eh?" He glances at the odd quartet of faces and nods before turning his heel and slinking away into the caves. He prowls like a fat, lumpy cat- unreasonably quiet all the same.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Stvari is, indeed, intended to be a competent scout.
    (1d20+9)[23] stealth (including +2 racial bonus for darkness-based concealment)
    (1d20+11)[22] perception (same bonus applies)

10. - Top - End - #160

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    "You have all signed the Compact."
    Oghash doesn't seem to calm down, but she does stop spluttering and growling when Tiadora makes it clear that Stvari signed too. She glares sullenly at the dwarf but nods to Tiadora without rancor. The half-orc follows the rest of the party downstairs and watches as the dwarf slinks off to scout. Her greataxe appears in her hands and she swings it restlessly, waiting for an opportunity to use it...

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

The cave is a short, some 15ft of hewn stone before it ends in a solid wooden door that Tiadora throws open with a magical force from a wave of her hand. "If you tire or need rest the door is open. You have 24 hours to return the medallion to the Cardinal in his chambers. Do not disappoint us...." she hisses.

Beyond the door there is a short staircase of ~7 stone steps that descends through an archway (which bears the inscription "Deception is a tool. Self-deception is death. Deceive always thy enemy but never thyself.") - into a bare square stone room some twenty five feet square, empty save for a door on the opposite wall from the stairs down. THe 25ft square room is empty, an arched ceiling of solid looking stone is some 10ft above you and dull light is provided by 4 lanterns, one hanging on a hook in each corner of the room. Entering from the west wall the door (a solid wooden looking door) is on the opposite wall and the rest of the room is just featureless drab grey stone....

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi shrugged at Salem, dismissing the man. ”Then you are the first disciple of the dark lord that doesn't want to entreat the masses to his tenets and teachings. Onward, evil cohorts ... let us complete our mission.” The wizard followed the others, stopping at the entrance to the cave.

”A lesson in deception. I would advise against anyone attempting to go through that door. Stay out here and let me see if I can determine what traps or tricks are at play here.” He focused for a moment, the cast his glowing gaze across the room, looking for signs of any magic. Once complete, he would call forward a small hand and move it into the room, searching around for signs of an exit, trying the lanterns and testing the walls first.

OOC - detect magic, sweep the room from the doorway; then use mage hand to test for secrets ...
    Show
    Spells (4/2+1): detect magic, message, ghost sound, mage hand; enlarge person, silent image, color spray
    Skills: Arcana/Planes +12; Local/Religion/Nature/Dungeon/History +10; Geo/Eng/Nob +10; Spellcraft +9

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well excuse me if preaching hasn't exactly been encouraged..." Salem trailed off rather than press the point.

"Huh. Looks like the test itself'll be the theology lesson."

Spoiler
    Show

Salem will check for traps and or alternate paths forward:
    (1d20+8)[22] Perception

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari crouches by the door, carefully checking it for hidden threats, when Tiadora throws it open with a wave of her hand. He leaps into the air, screeching! "Asmodeus' tits! Warn me, woman!" After a heavy pause, he turns slowly back to their guide, eyes wide with sudden realization. He lowers his head deeply to the woman, stuttering, "Er, that is- ah- ah, apologies, you startled me, mistress." He warily raises his head, hoping some combination of amusement and Cardinal Thorn's will will be enough to keep her from ripping his head off his shoulders.

In his moment of hesitation, Salem sneaks past. Stvari turns and watches appreciatively. "You're pretty good at that, too," he mutters. Without waiting to test Tiadora's patience further, he slinks into the darkness a few paces behind the warpriest.

15. - Top - End - #165

NecromancerGuy

Oghash watches in glee as Stvari commits a heretical act in the presence of Tiadora, watching her for any hint of permission to attack the dwarf. When none comes she sighs and remains between Ahkmathi and the room, watching the other two members of the knot explore the apparently empty room. "Where are the things to kill?" she asks in a dejected tone.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi watched the two idiots lip into the room, right after his warning. His jaw clenched as internally he counted to ela’ja, then focused his gaze upon the room. At least Oghash, for all her brutal simplicity, was more disciplined than that. Well, until her bloodlust took over. He didn’t bother turning back to see if the fiendish woman was still there - he presumed she’d and the Cardinal were watching from beyond. He was certain that gaining this prize was only part of the test. They would likely be graded on effectiveness, efficiency and skill. And there would probably be moments where fervor and impetuousness were valued traits.

For now, he would simply try keep these fools alive. To Oghash, he murmured, ”We will likely face several tests. Some will require wit and wisdom, others will require strength and speed. I am certain you will have an opportunity for violence before we are through.”

OOC - RP ...
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Sarris walks in last, torch in one hand, blade in the other. "Well, I suppose I'll leave the scouting to you guys. Humans don't exactly see well in the dark. Say, could one of you cast a light spell on my sword. That way I can use my other hand and not risk igniting any potential flammable gas or the like."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

As Salem scans around the his sharp eyes, attuned to trouble spot the outline of the pit on the ground in front of the door. Even as he spies that he notices the outlines of two concealed doors on the north and south walls. The one to the north a small alcove that when opened has a single vial of smoky quartz that glows a bright blue and feels freezing cold to the touch. An inscription on the wall in the niche reading “Thou hast seen through deception to uncover a useful tool.”

On the south wall between Athkamaki's unseen hand and Salem's sharp eyes that are able to find a door that leads to the south...

19. - Top - End - #169

NecromancerGuy

Oghash nods silently at Ahkmathi's words while she watches the others explore the room carefully. When they approach the north and south walls she scowls for a moment before seeing the secret doors opened. "Is there anything by that door?' she asks, gesturing with her axe at door on the western wall. "Or are we going the other way?"

Once it is clear nothing will leap out to attack, she prowls into the room, her eyes still scanning everything watchfully, clearly not trusting that the dangers they face cannot be killed...

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi nodded imperiously to the others. ”One down. If I may inspect the prize, we can continue. Other tests may not be so blatantly obvious, or easily bypassed.” The wizard directed the mage hand from the ‘true’ door toward the vial to bring it closer. Once it was on the ground before the wizard, he cast his spell again, and turned his now arcane-sensitive gaze towards the vial.

OOC - Well, looks like Ahkmathi was obviously right being cautious (not really ). Does the item emit magic? Arcana - (1d20+12)[21], Spellcraft - (1d20+9)[19]
    Show

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari shrugs as Ahkmathi draws the vial closer without touching it directly. "Neat trick, that. You worry too much, ya know that?" While the wizard inspects the vial, the Dwarf turns towards the other door. He takes several moments to search it for traps, probably alongside Salem.

Show
    If a trap is found, he'll attempt to disarm it.
    (1d20+9)[10] perception (+2 more if in darkness)
    (1d20+8)[18] disable device

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

An examination of the vial reveals it to be a crystal vial with a glowing blue (alchemical not magical) liquid within. Both Ahkmathi and Stavri recognise it as alchemists ice. Able to freeze things it splashes in.

The fake door to the east is just that, a fake door with a spiked in front. The secret door go the south is easy to open and appears to have no traps....

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Heh. Nasty trap, that. Don’t trust anything that looks easy, I guess is the first lesson.” His inspection complete, Stvari opens the south-leading door. “Shall we?

Spoiler: Ooc
    Show
    still content to go first. Still scouting. Do you have a preference regarding skill checks? I like to roll them, in general, but know there’s the risk of too much player knowledge.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

"Onward. Keep your eyes down for traps, and I'll keep mine up for foes." Salem whispered with a nod.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2021-02-03 at 05:23 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175

NecromancerGuy

Oghash walks up to look at the spiked pit with a suspicious expression on her face. With a growl she turns towards the southern door and stands just behind the front line, balancing on her toes and ready to charge any enemies she sees when they open the door...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Oghash would be readying a charge for when the party throws open the secret door.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

The door opens into a short passageway (~5ft) and an archway into a room beyond with another inscription on the arch “Following the herd is for fools. Fear not their icy derision. Instead, fear only thy Infernal Lord.” The room beyond is another bare stone chamber some 30ft square, as you enter the northern entrance there are doors on each other wall, each facing a cardinal direction. The entire chamber seems strangely cold, mist forming on your breath. The ground is dirty and dusty and Stvari can spy in the dust that at least a dozen individuals have walked towards the southern and the eastern doors. No one seems to have approached the western door. The western door is covered in a strange pulsating violet mold. This room is also lit with a small oil lantern that hangs from the ceiling. There is a small amount of frost on the lantern’s glass panes.

From the doorway on the northern wall there doesn't seem to be anything else moving in the room

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari reads the inscription carefully, immediately setting it to memory and turning his attention to the room in earnest. "Right, don't follow the crowd. So that-" he points to the door covered in purple fungus- "is to be the way out?" He sniffs, more of a gesture of distaste than any sort of inquiry.

He glances at the lantern and back to the mold, frowning thoughtfully. "'Fear thy Infernal Lord'," he mutters. ..."That could mean the fire is the real danger. Humph... First things first-" He points to the door- "anyone got a clue what in the Hells that stuff is?"

Show
    Stvari is trained in history and religion. If it's DC 10 or lower (unlikely, I suspect), he'll try whatever else applies:
    (1d20)[15] (+8 history/religion, +3 else)

28. - Top - End - #178

NecromancerGuy

Oghash watches and listens, her face a thundercloud of emotions - disappointment, confusion, anger, curiosity...As it appears that this room is also a riddle she sighs and looks to the others. "If you want me to attack anything, or hack down a door, let me know, I guess..." she says sullenly.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

"Not following the herd's straightforward at least. Hmm. If the fire's the real danger, and it's already cold in here... is the cold stuff we found supposed to kill that fungus on the door?"

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Personally, I would hold off on being too eager to use it. We only have the one flask. It could be the answer, or it could be the solution to a later problem."

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim