New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DrK Way of Wicked Take 2 IC

Stvari nods. "Aye. Seems a bit odd for it to go down like this in any capacity. What if we didn't find that hidden vial in the first place?" He glances around. It seems no one is sure how to proceed. Frowning, he looks back around the room.

"Well, I figure these are both traps, but let's be thorough, eh?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    As I recall, we've got 24 hours to get back out. Can Stvari take 20 on perception to search for traps on the two not-fungus-covered doors?

After a few moments, Stvari nods slowly. "Yep, wouldn't stand under that crack there, if I was you," he mutters to everyone and no one, pointing to a nearly-invisible seam above the eastern door. He frowns at the southern door for several moments before shaking his head in annoyance. "Twelve gold crowns or I'm a harpy's ****, if there ain't another trap here, but I can't fer the life of me find the damned thing."

He spits on the floor and turns away from it. "Puts us back at square one, I suppose. We know which way to go, but I'm thinkin' that touching that greasy spit ain't gonna feel good." He frowns, looking back and forth between the oil lamp and the magically-cold vial. After several seconds with pursed lips, he grunts another impolite word or two- hard to be sure, as he had lapsed into the Dwarven tongue.

"Hate to waste it, but my money's on the vial. Don't much like that bit about 'fearing only thy infernal lord' for the lamp."

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi Sek, Elven Conjurist

Ahkmathi listened to the others gibbering, impressed they had arrived at some of the obvious answers, when of they were still uncertain on others. As they spoke, he slipped down the hall back to the other room, pulling down two lanterns with the mage hand. Stepping back to join the others, he set the lanterns down, gesturing to the door. ”The room is already cold; I am I certain if more cold will affect the fungus. Let me take a look before we proceed.” The wizard turned his gaze to the mold, attempting to identify the particular variety.

OOC - Get two lanterns from the previous room for flame if necessary. Study the mold. Dungeoneering check: 20
    Spoiler: Status
    Show
    Str 10 Dex 16 Con 12 Int 18 Wis 12 Cha 10
    AC 13 HP 16 Init +11 Move 30' / F +2 R +4 W +4
    Spells (4/2+1): detect magic, message, ghost sound, mage hand; enlarge person, silent image, color spray
    Skills: Arcana/Planes +12; Local/Religion/Nature/Dungeon/History +10; Geo/Eng/Nob +10; Spellcraft +9
    Teleport: 7/7
    Effect: low-light vision
    Last edited by Starbin; 2021-02-05 at 09:34 PM.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

The cynical elf looks at the fungus before recalling a short passage in a tome he had once read on the nature of threats in deep mines.

Violet fungus is known to aggressively absorb heat from its surroundings, miners killed as it sucks the heat from their body. But if he recalls it's extremely susceptible to cold, a splash of cold, a ray of frost, anything similar should destroy it
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi turned back to the others with a wan, humorless smile. ”It is as I surmised. The chill in the air is because the organism aggressively draws the heat from its surrounding. It seems our ‘prize’ will aid our passage. Oghash, if you would be so kind and throw this into the fungus?” The wizard handed over the small flask to the Rager, then turned back to the others, convinced this task was well within her abilities.

”For any that require light, take a lantern if you wish. I will care o e with my incorporeal appendage here.”

OOC - whew, good call all. Let’s do it and move on. Glad I didn’t toss the lanterns on the moss!

Ahk will carry one lantern with mage hand unless others want one.

Show
    Spells (4/2+1): detect magic, message, ghost sound, mage hand; enlarge person, silent image, color spray
    Skills: Arcana/Planes +12; Local/Religion/Nature/Dungeon/History +10; Geo/Eng/Nob +10; Spellcraft +9

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari frowns in appreciation. "Guess all that time with yer nose in the book was worth something after all?" he asks rhetorically. He takes a few steps back to clear the way for Oghash to toss the vial.

"Just stay a bit back with all those fires, yeah? I'm still not too keen on light when it ain't needed." He considers the situation so far. "'Bout due for a fight, I figure. Let's not tell 'em we're coming."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Oghash takes the vial carefully, looking like she is being asked to hold a poisonous snake as it is trying to strike her. Once she seems confident that the vial won't magically freeze her suddenly, she stands several feet away and throws it at the mold, hard, to be sure the flask breaks and applies its deadly cold to the threat. Once the vial has left her hand she backs up, her axe back in hand as she readies herself for...something...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    If an attack roll is needed...(1d20+3)[9] to hit. I'm not sure what the damage would be...If she misses here is the miss-direction (1d28)[26].

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

The wise elf mage floats on the of the lanterns around for the party to see with, sparing others from carrying the lights as Oghash hurls the flask at the violet fungus. The flask shatters and a sheet of ice coats the fungus, the violet fungus crackling and peeling where the cold touches until the mass of it -now clearly dead - slides off the door in a pile of almost paperlike flakes and the door is revealed. In addition, an inscription is carved into the door "Thou hast made thy own path"...

The door leads into the a passage way of neat cut stone that goes on for ~100ft but curves in a sharp U-shape before in the light of the lanterns you are met by yet another of the plain unadorned wooden doors with stout iron braces. As you have come to expect above the doorway carved into the stone, another inscription "Know your enemy. Shatter all that blinds you and then burn thy adversary to ashes"....

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Sarris chimes in, "How many lanterns are available? I mean, from what it reads, I suspect it may been to shatter a lantern against the door and let it burn, since the lantern 'binds' the flame. Not sure if there is something special about the fire in the lanterns or if regular flame would work, but it seems like a relatively obvious riddle. Of course, I could be wrong."

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

9. - Top - End - #189

NecromancerGuy

"Gah! More riddles and tricks...can't we have one door that opens to enemies we can kill!" complains Ohgash as the party approaches the next door. She swings her axe in quick, angry slashes at the open air, clearly restless and ready to fight something.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi raised an eyebrow. ”That might be a valuable suggestion if the inscription didn’t say ‘blind.’ What things might blind us in the room beyond? Perhaps light spells, or glittering mirrors, or any of numerous challenges. It will likely require we open the door to see. ”

OOC - R coco our scouts listen and peek in
    Show

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari frowns. "Aye, I agree with the Elf, though it pains me to admit. Heheh. Let's just see what we find." He glances around to make sure everyone is ready and pulls out his own blade. Then, he opens the door, to see what lies in wait.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

Salem nocked an arrow and squinted at the door, anticipating some blinding light or some such.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

The door swing open with an ominous creak into darkness.... The walls just by the door are partially visible and appear to be the same unremarkable worked stone of the prevous two stones, although only the first few inches are visible to the "normal" eye. Even the light of the lantern is swallowed up and goes no further.

For Stavri however he can make out the room clearly in the green/black pulsing colours of his dwarven darkvision.

Spoiler: Darkvision
    Show

Two doors exit the chamber, one to the North, and one to the east (as you've entered from the west). Both doors have a large locking bar in place, although easy to lift andaccess from this side but you'd imagine hard to manipulate in the pitch darkness. The room is another plain 30 by 30ft cube save for the walls and floors honeycmobed with small 1 " holes at various intervals and a strange black iron tripod in the centre of the room holds a delicate sphere of black volcanic glass...

Ahkmathi looking at the darkness recognises the familiar evocation flavour to the magic as that of a darkness enchantment

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari snorts. "Kinda what I figured. Blindness if you ain't used to the dark. Let me poke around a bit." He slinks into the room, careful to place his feet in-between the holes.

Show
    Might as well stealth. Just because you didn't announce the threats doesn't mean they are absent: (1d20+9)[29] (counting bonus for darkness)
    perception all over everything. I figure the 1" holes are part of some kind of trap. Hopefully Stvari can find the mechanism before it finds him: (1d20+11)[31]
    A more generic perception for any other hidden dangers: (1d20+11)[25]

finally, knowledge for the dark orb. OOC, I figure it's more along the lines of detect magic, but in case Stvari can figure something out without it: (1d20)[11] (+8 history/religion, +3 all else)

15. - Top - End - #195

NecromancerGuy

Oghash snorts as the dwarf enters the darkness, muttering sarcastically to herself, "It'd be so sad if he never came out again..."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Salem just nodded as the Dwarf took the lead, stood back, and continued to squint into the darkness. He wasn't about to follow, nor was he about to tell the others out loud that he couldn't see in that darkness.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

The dwarf rolls into the room moving stealthily (although with a bare room there is limited options for concealing oneself against anything that may have darkvision). Looking about he can see no traps or evidence of "dangerous" things on either the door, floors or walls. As he investigate the strange black glass orb he felt, or saw from the corner of his eye a mist seeping from the opposite wall (so other side of the room from the door you entered in)

The mist takes form, a pair of savage eyes and motes of sharpness inside as it hisses a single word in Mitran... "Blood"

OOC
    Svarti wins the intiatve
    - if he alerts the others Salem and Oghash are also ahead of the mist

The mist creature

then Akhmathi and Sarris
    But the room is dark and only darkvision will help currently

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

"Woah! The hells is that!?" Stvari cries, backpedaling towards the entrance. "Something nasty! Gonna need magic in here!"

He draws his blade as he steps away, though he doesn't particularly expect it to be useful against angry vapor.

19. - Top - End - #199

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Oghash, Round 1
    Show
    Oghash ("Fiendclaw" in Orcish)
    Female Chaotic Evil Half-Orc Bloodrager, Level 2, Init 3, HP 24+6/18+6, Speed 30 ft. (40 ft. base)
    AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, CMD 19, Fort 5, Ref 3, Will 4, CMB +6, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Masterwork Greataxe +6 (1d12+6, 20/x3)
    Chainmail +1, Heavy Steel Shield (+7 Armor, +1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 19, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 12
    Condition None

"What is it? 'Nasty' tells us nothing!" snarls Oghash at the dwarf in the darkness as she readies her axe to attack any enemy that exits the concealing magic...

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Ready an action to attack with her MW Greataxe, no bloodrage or power attack - (1d20+6)[15] to hit, (1d20+6)[15] (20/x3), (1d12+6)[8] slashing damage, (2d12+12)[21] critical strike damage

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

As Stvari back pedals and steps back into the light, to the surpise of his companions the mist fixes him with a savage and hungry glare before melting back into the holes of the floor, its wispy form oozing between the grates and sinking out of sight from his darkvision, leaving an empty room save for the strange orb of black dragon glass atop the pedastal....

OOC party to go

21. - Top - End - #201

NecromancerGuy

"What was that?" Oghash asks with a ferocious growl at the strange enemy. "And why didn't it kill you?" she asks Stvari accusingly...

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

The Dwarf is wide-eyed, somewhere between frightened and wary. "Boy, oh boy, that was f**kin' weird. Hah,
    'cuz it didn't catch me, I figure. Also, it seems to be affixed to the darkness. As much as I normally like being without light, not so much when crap like that is gonna float about.
    " He gestures vaguely into the darkness, unconcerned that most or all of his allies can't see in it.

"Some sort of ugly red mist-like monster seeped outa those holes in the floor. I... I have no real idea, but it seemed partial to staying in the dark, what with it not floating all over here to make friends." He frowns thoughtfully with a deep scowl. "I bet I could beat it to the glass orb there. Dunno what would happen if I smashed it, but 'shattering what blinds you' seems to be in the instructions, yeah? Figure the mist monster will get tossed by any fire magic you guys can conjure up. Other than that, uh you guys carry torches?"

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

"Sorry, doubt I'd be much help with my dumb human eyes."

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

24. - Top - End - #204

NecromancerGuy

"If you have an idea on how to clear out the darkness and let us all see, then do it and stop wasting time," spits Oghash at the dwarf, her dislike apparent in her impatience.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

"I don't have any torches. If I could see in there, I could try shooting the glass orb. Maybe one of you could try with your night-eyes," Salem suggested.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Stvari sighs in (mock?) exasperation. "So nobody can do anything useful but me, eh? No wonder the Cardinal wanted someone else for the team." He braces himself for a mad dash into the darkness, still muttering.

"Can't see in the dark and don't carry torches. Pah."

Without another pause, he charges forward, driving his blade into a horizontal slice at the level of the glass orb.

Spoiler: Stvari, round 1? Surprise?
    Show
    Stvari Inhibiraj
    Male LE Dwarf Monk (Maneuver Master), Level 2, Init 2, HP 18/18, Speed 20
    AC 16, Touch 16, Flat-footed 14, CMD 21 ****, Fort 5, Ref 5, Will 7, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Unarmed Strike +5 (1d6+4, x2)
    Temple sword +5 (1d8+4, 19-20, x2) (trip friendly)
    Flurry of Trip/dirty trick +6/+6 (-, )
    (+2 Dex, +4 Natural)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 16, Wis 18, Cha 6
    Condition Hardy, Stability, Dimdweller, Shadowhunter, Evasion
    Ki pool: 1/1
    Stunning fist: 2/2

Going to mechanically charge the glass orb.
    (1d20+7)[8] (temple sword)
    (1d20+7)[16] CC (26+, x2)
    (1d8+4)[5] damage
    (1d8+4)[10] crit confirmation?

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Ahkmathi sneered at the dwarf. ”When we need magic, should we look to you? Of course each of us has been placed for a reason. Besides, we have the lanterns from the previous room we can use ... but they may not counter the darkness spell.”

OOC - I thought we tried already, but Ahkmathi will mage hand the lanterns into the room if it helps.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    Ahkmathi sneered at the dwarf. ”When we need magic, should we look to you? Of course each of us has been placed for a reason. Besides, we have the lanterns from the previous room we can use ... but they may not counter the darkness spell.”
    Stvari snorts, pausing just enough to return the jibe. "Planning to illuminate the mist to death, are we?"

Show
    I'm obviously writing this impolitely on purpose. If you're ever uncomfortable with it, let me know and I can turn it down ;-)

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

The dwarf vanishes back into the mist, a sarcastic comment still on his lips before there is a dull clunk of metal upon metal! In the darkness the dwarf slips and the temple sword bounces off a metal strut rather than dragon glass orb! He'd missed, unbeliavably he'd missed the static object under the pressure of the test - at least, and it was cold comfort, no-one had seen him.

Of more pressing concern was the mist that poured from the wall and floated around to cut him off from the door, is toothy maw leaping towards him, like a biting chill wind of razor sharp particles. As it calesced around him his skin split and blood poured out, much it drawn into the swirling cloud!!

Spoiler: Vampiric mist
    Show

Moves 50ft to fly from vents and cut Stvari off from the door
    - bleeding touch (1d20+7)[22] vs Touch
    -- If hit (1d3)[2] Con damage - it gains (1d8)[6] temp hps
    -- Inflicts Bleed condition -1d6 on Stvari's turn

Last edited by DrK; 2021-02-14 at 05:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

A stream of truly vile curses erupts from the darkened chamber, including at least a few in the tongues of Goblins, Giants, and Dwarves. "Gonna need- Jebeni mađioničar!- some healing! -kkritikat li jiġbed id-demm!"

Spoiler: Stvari, round 1? Surprise?
    Show
    Stvari Inhibiraj
    Male LE Dwarf Monk (Maneuver Master), Level 2, Init 2, HP 12/18 11/17, Speed 20
    AC 16, Touch 16, Flat-footed 14, CMD 21 ****, Fort 5, Ref 5, Will 7, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Unarmed Strike +5 (1d6+4, x2)
    Temple sword +5 (1d8+4, 19-20, x2) (trip friendly)
    Flurry of Trip/dirty trick +6/+6 (-, )
    (+2 Dex, +4 Natural)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 15, Con 14 12, Int 16, Wis 18, Cha 6
    Condition Hardy, Stability, Dimdweller, Shadowhunter, Evasion
    Ki pool: 1/1
    Stunning fist: 2/2

(1d6)[6] bleed damage edit: FFS.
    Break the damned thing. -_-
    (1d20+5)[22] to smash the glass. -_-