New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Best Place to Browse for New Video Games

Does anyone know of sites where you can browse through video games using sorting features other than steam and itch? Steam is really bad at knowing what you want (as well as taking a 30% cut from studios) and itch only has small indie games. I'd like something that had a solid mix of indie and AAA, like steam does.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Best Place to Browse for New Video Games

I try to stay atop hidden gem indie titles (in a frequency that I try to buy multiple each month), and I'm sorry to say that you can't really beat Steam's selection in that regard.

The thing is, though, that you can't just sleep on it and hope that Steam shows you the best games possible. You have to actively search. Though it may sound basic:

a) Choosing 3 tags simultaneously and then sorting by score,
    b) Going through your favorite games' "more like this" lists,
    c) And as a ground rule, picking "ignore" on games you don't want, every day on your home page

...helps a lot.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

I search a lot too.
    But i have sadly news, Steam is better playground for Indie

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Aside from Steam, my two are GOG.com and Epic.

GOG has a good mix of new games and the old stuff that made their names. They don't have some of the really ancient DOS games I grew up on, but I doubt anyone does. I like their interface, and they'll integrate all of your games, across all platforms, into their launcher.

Epic I don't actually USE much, but they have at least a few free games each week, including some big names (I got Civ 6 for free through them).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Steam is honestly the best place, you just have to make use of filters and the ignore feature to cull the games you don't like. Its worked well enough for me. Also the 30% cut is pretty much the industry standard with only a few storefronts (Epic, Humble, itch) deviating from that cut so if you're adamant on not buying from someplace that takes a 30% cut you only have a small selection of stores to go to.