New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: OOTS #1216 - The Discussion Thread

I have only read the first pages of this thread, so this might have brought up (and I am curious how the discussion drifted to the definition of a fruit) but: I predict it will turn out O-Chul and/or Lien has been keeping track of which doors actually have been cleared and which doors have only been falsely labeled as such. The Order will find this information.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bedinsis View Post
    (and I am curious how the discussion drifted to the definition of a fruit)
    True.... usually when things veer off on a tangent, it leads to fruitless discussion.

3. - Top - End - #483

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaziggy View Post
    Idle fruit thought: figs are not botanically a fruit, they are an inflorescence- a dense cluster of flowers and seeds contained inside a bulbous section of stem.
    Sure, and strawberries, raspberries, and pineapples aren’t quite fruit either. But I think they’re not quite not-not fruit, if you know what I mean?

I’m not quite as sure about corn (or maize, or whatever you call that stuff in the other 97% of the world that isn’t the country I live in). Are individual kernels of corn each a fruit?

Same with pomegranates. What’s the deal with pomegranates?
    Last edited by Dion; 2020-10-10 at 01:54 PM.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Sure, and strawberries, raspberries, and pineapples aren’t quite fruit either. But I think they’re not quite not-not fruit, if you know what I mean?

I’m not quite as sure about corn (or maize, or whatever you call that stuff in the other 97% of the world that isn’t the country I live in). Are individual kernels of corn each a fruit?

Same with pomegranates. What’s the deal with pomegranates?
    What? No. Strawberries, raspberries, and pineapples are all fruit. The first two aren't berries, (ironically enough, pineapples are), but they're still fruit, an aggregate fruit.

Here's a whole thing about what fruits are: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit#Development

5. - Top - End - #485

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMist View Post
    What? No. Strawberries, raspberries, and pineapples are all fruit. The first two aren't berries, (ironically enough, pineapples are), but they're still fruit, an aggregate fruit.
    But if we say “a whole bunch of fruit” are “a” fruit, we might as well say that marshmallows are a fruit because they’re made from corn syrup!

Which doesn’t make any sense, because marshmallows are in the vegetable section of the supermarket next to the canned yams.

(*) am I supposed to somehow turn this blue or something? Because I’m not quite sure if it’s clear that I’m not-not joking?
    Last edited by Dion; 2020-10-10 at 05:44 PM.

6. - Top - End - #486

That's because far and away the most common way of cooking yams is with little marshmallows sprinkled on top.

7. - Top - End - #487

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    That's because far and away the most common way of cooking yams is with little marshmallows sprinkled on top.
    Quite true, at least in the US... but then again, our four major food groups are "Covered with sugar, covered with salt, covered with ketchup, and covered with ranch dressing." (^_~)

8. - Top - End - #488
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Quite true, at least in the US... but then again, our four major food groups are "Covered with sugar, covered with salt, covered with ketchup, and covered with ranch dressing." (^_~)
    Wait, those are supposed to be separate?

I threw up in my mouth a little just writing that.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-10 at 08:52 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #489

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    What? WHAT? I'm from the US. What kind of horrors are you Southerners concocting down there? At least we Midwesterners only fry things that shouldn't be fried.

Also, irrelevant, I've been assuming you were a girl this whole time based solely on your username despite your icon clearly listing male.
    Last edited by WanderingMist; 2020-10-10 at 09:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #490

WolfInSheepsClothing

GUYS. I have long theorized that it's fairly likely the Gate is actually just encased in a bunch of stone, with no actual entrance. What if Durkon and Minrah accidentally find it by burrowing into stone????

11. - Top - End - #491

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    GUYS. I have long theorized that it's fairly likely the Gate is actually just encased in a bunch of stone, with no actual entrance. What if Durkon and Minrah accidentally find it by burrowing into stone????
    a) Durkon and Minrah can't actually move around in the stone; they can only step out of it.

b) If a single 3rd level spell could break through the defenses, then Serini is honestly the worst guardian ever. Even Girard's double-bluff on the gate was heavily defended (pyramid illusions, Draketooth family, lead casing).

12. - Top - End - #492

What? WHAT? I'm from the US. What kind of horrors are you Southerners concocting down there?
    Pimento. It's a cheese. They call it the caviar of the south.
    Also, irrelevant, I've been assuming you were a girl this whole time based solely on your username despite your icon clearly listing male.
    Imean, you still can assume that. I've never let being wrong stop me before, after all.

13. - Top - End - #493

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    a) Durkon and Minrah can't actually move around in the stone; they can only step out of it.

b) If a single 3rd level spell could break through the defenses, then Serini is honestly the worst guardian ever. Even Girard's double-bluff on the gate was heavily defended (pyramid illusions, Draketooth family, lead casing).
    Yeah that's all true. But there are still ways it could happen. If Team Evil realizes the tracks end right at the door and uses a more powerful spell to crack the stone. Or if Sereni overl relied on people not penetrating a random square of stone. Or something. I don't know it's not really a great theory.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CriticalFailure View Post
    Yeah that's all true. But there are still ways it could happen. If Team Evil realizes the tracks end right at the door and uses a more powerful spell to crack the stone. Or if Sereni overl relied on people not penetrating a random square of stone. Or something. I don't know it's not really a great theory.
    It's not impossible, either, although the theory needs a little cleanup for sure. I could absolutely imagine that the Gate is not strictly within any of the dungeons (which does not mean none of them leads to it; it could be past the apparent final wall of an apparent dead end somewhere), and finding it takes the brute force needed to blast some of the stone away, but only as long as it's at least some 100 meters away from the rock face.
    Also, I would definitely go so far as to state that Team Cleric is not going to stumble upon it at this point.

15. - Top - End - #495

I threw up in my mouth a little just writing that.
    They can overlap, but hopefully not all at the same time.

Dadgummit, I can't believe I forgot the fifth major food group: Deep-fried. (Also not unlikely to overlap.)

I'm not particularly unhappy about it, but I think that means my Southern citizenship-by-birth has to be revoked.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

They can overlap, but hopefully not all at the same time.

Dadgummit, I can't believe I forgot the fifth major food group: Deep-fried. (Also not unlikely to overlap.)

I'm not particularly unhappy about it, but I think that means my Southern citizenship-by-birth has to be revoked.
    1. Isn’t that a given?

B) But ketchup has lots of sugar and salt in it as well.

:P
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #497

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    1. Isn’t that a given?

B) But ketchup has lots of sugar and salt in it as well.

:P
    Sounds like we could make a fortune selling deep-fried ketchup covered in ranch dressing. XD

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds like we could make a fortune selling deep-fried ketchup covered in ranch dressing. XD
    Eh, somebody's probably doing that one already.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    And you still speak with him?
    Blood is thicker than tea. (But not always thicker than coffee: back in the Navy days we figured that it's not quite right until it's about the consistency of 5w30 motor oil ...

Next time the Texas State fair is up and running, why don't you enter that into a contest? A few years back, they did deep fried butter (won a prize) and deep fried ice cream (won a prize) and there was one other I can't remember. (Chances are that a search on the Texas Monthly web site / archive would reveal some of the stranger stuff that has been deep fried and won culinary prizes at that fair).

Now that I think of it, Belkar needs to enter his buzzard recipe at the fair: it might win a prize for novelty.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2020-10-11 at 09:21 AM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

20. - Top - End - #500

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Next time the Texas State fair is up and running, why don't you enter that into a contest? A few years back, they did deep fried butter (wont a prize) and deep fried ice cream (won a prize) and there was one other I can't remember. (Chances are that a search on the Texas Monthly web site / archive would reveal some of the stranger stuff that has been deep fried and won culinary prizes at that fair).
    Deep-fried Mars bar anyone?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep-fried_Mars_bar

21. - Top - End - #501
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

They do deep fried beer, too.

It's a fried ravioli made around an ice cube of frozen beer. So you get a deep fried ravioli full of warm, flat beer. Yum.

22. - Top - End - #502

You could do it by deep-frying battered frozen cubes of ketchup, or by injection-filling deep-fried pastries. Then coating them with the dressing.

EDIT: But if you really want to go for a prize, what you should do is have a range of deep-fried condiments for people to select from. Ketchup, mustard, relish, mayo, a couple of dressings. Squeez Cheez or Spray Cheez or Cheez Whiz or some other semi-fluid cheez-like product.

EDIT 2: Chopped onions, of course, would make too much sense and would actually be considered good by many people. Though if you did them "right" the onions would still be raw inside the fried batter. Or, better, frozen, then thawed and mushy and wilting.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2020-10-11 at 10:43 AM.

23. - Top - End - #503

Blood is thicker than tea. (But not always thicker than coffee: back in the Navy days we figured that it's not quite right until it's about the consistency of 5w30 motor oil ...

Next time the Texas State fair is up and running, why don't you enter that into a contest? A few years back, they did deep fried butter (won a prize) and deep fried ice cream (won a prize) and there was one other I can't remember.
    Deep fried ice cream is, if not common, at least a pretty well-known dessert, though. Heck, I've made it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    EDIT 2: Chopped onions, of course, would make too much sense and would actually be considered good by many people. Though if you did them "right" the onions would still be raw inside the fried batter. Or, better, frozen, then thawed and mushy and wilting.
    I can never quite get the fried onions right for my kaesespaetzle.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-11 at 10:57 AM.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

This entire thread must be purged.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

25. - Top - End - #505

Deep fried ice cream is, if not common, at least a pretty well-known dessert, though. Heck, I've made it myself.
    I've had it once or twice at restaurants; never tried making it myself. (For that matter, I don't recall ever having tried deep-frying anything myself, not counting heating things in oil baths in labs.) I don't really see the appeal. The fried stuff was cold and the ice cream was melted, the worst of both worlds.

I can never quite get the fried onions right for my kaesespaetzle.
    Deep-fried kaesespaetzle?

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    This entire thread must be purged.
    I think that deep-fried condiments would be a powerful purgative. Or emetic.
    Last edited by bunsen_h; 2020-10-11 at 11:27 AM.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

My wife points out that this list is missing covered in chocolate.

My food idea is caffeinated spray cheese. It's the perfect food for University students.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    EDIT: But if you really want to go for a prize, what you should do is have a range of deep-fried condiments for people to select from. Ketchup, mustard, relish, mayo, a couple of dressings. Squeez Cheez or Spray Cheez or Cheez Whiz or some other semi-fluid cheez-like product.
    To be fair "deep fried cheese" is already a classic. So deep fried cheez whiz doesn't sound awful. I'd try it anyway.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

I approve of this.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

29. - Top - End - #509

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    It's not impossible, either, although the theory needs a little cleanup for sure. I could absolutely imagine that the Gate is not strictly within any of the dungeons (which does not mean none of them leads to it; it could be past the apparent final wall of an apparent dead end somewhere), and finding it takes the brute force needed to blast some of the stone away, but only as long as it's at least some 100 meters away from the rock face.
    Also, I would definitely go so far as to state that Team Cleric is not going to stumble upon it at this point.
    Yeah my original theory posited that it may be encased in the stone in such a way that accessing it includes 1) blasting a way a lot of stone by brute force 2) in such a way that multiple dungeons would be exposed and you'd have to deal with multiple epic dungeons worth of beasts.

30. - Top - End - #510

SolithKnightGuy

With regards to lemons - we have a wild lemon tree in the family farm in Kashmir and those are the small ones that aren’t bitter
    Another case of making it bigger not always making it better
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"