New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1216 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Yirggzmb View Post
    To be fair "deep fried cheese" is already a classic. So deep fried cheez whiz doesn't sound awful. I'd try it anyway.
    You can have mine. (I maintain that Cheez Whiz is what cheez peez.) Presumably we're also talking about classic chrome-yellow mustard-from-a-tank as opposed to, say, Dijon mustard or honey mustard.

Quote Originally Posted by mjasghar View Post
    With regards to lemons - we have a wild lemon tree in the family farm in Kashmir and those are the small ones that aren’t bitter
    Another case of making it bigger not always making it better
    The ancestry of citrus is weird.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    I've had it once or twice at restaurants; never tried making it myself. (For that matter, I don't recall ever having tried deep-frying anything myself, not counting heating things in oil baths in labs.) I don't really see the appeal. The fried stuff was cold and the ice cream was melted, the worst of both worlds.
    It sounds like those restaurants messed it up or served it way too late. You barely fry it - I'm talking like 5-10 seconds max. The outside should be warm, crisp, and light, and the ice cream inside should be...well, ice cream. The outer part is really the only reason to do it.

My best guess us that they made it, put it up, and then there was a time gap until the server picked it up to get to you.

You can make a super quick-and-dirty home version with sliced white bread. Or, you could if you had a deep fryer. Which, I must point out, is an essential kitchen appliance. The health detriment are offset by entering flavortown.
    Quote Originally Posted by bunsen_h View Post
    Deep-fried kaesespaetzle?
    Spoiler: No, just best kaesespaetzle.
    Show
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-11 at 06:32 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #513

I don't know anyone who owns a deep fryer.
    Attention LotR fans
    Spoiler: LotR
    Show
    The scouring of the Shire never happened. That's right. After reading books I, II, and III, I stopped reading when the One Ring was thrown into Mount Doom. The story ends there. Nothing worthwhile happened afterwards. Middle-Earth was saved.

4. - Top - End - #514
    Banned

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by StreamOfTheSky View Post
    Well, this whole "diplomatic excursion" is still a horrifically dumb idea that never should've happened and ruined OotS's element of surprise.

But at least the clerics managed to keep it from turning into the the worst case scenario of OotS losing both clerics right before the big fight with a lich...

I think it's pretty much a sure thing this is a dungeon that's not been cleared and was marked X by the MitD (where is he, anyway? I guess hanging out w/ the paladins....)
    It's also very likely this is the "true" dungeon. But not a certainty, if Rich wants to stretch this out longer.

Guess Belkar's Ranger skills are gonna be handy for figuring out where the heck the clerics went.

On both sides! The lawful dwarf clerics thinking of playing the shell game, and the lawful evil cleric immediately figuring out what was going on.
    Its only a dumb idea if your only purpose is to kill Xykon. The OOtS (or at least Durkon) has bigger fish to fry. They need Redcloaks assent. That's easier to get in a meeting rather than a battlefield.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    Its only a dumb idea if your only purpose is to kill Xykon. The OOtS (or at least Durkon) has bigger fish to fry. They need Redcloaks assent. That's easier to get in a meeting rather than a battlefield.
    People are way too eager to write off Redcloak as a lost cause, though, for a somewhat varied range of reasons(None of which I really agree with, incidentally).
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #516

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    People are way too eager to write off Redcloak as a lost cause, though, for a somewhat varied range of reasons(None of which I really agree with, incidentally).
    Well, he did try to kill Durkon slowly and painfully...

Still, it's always a joy to see the Jirix/Oona/shaman theories pop up periodically. My favorite was still the "Durkon turns Redcloak into a vampire" from a month back or so.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    Well, he did try to kill Durkon slowly and painfully...

Still, it's always a joy to see the Jirix/Oona/shaman theories pop up periodically. My favorite was still the "Durkon turns Redcloak into a vampire" from a month back or so.
    Even if that'd had worked(which it likely doesn't, though I do wonder who does the goblin vampires), cutting Redcloak out throws away all of his character... development? Is that the word? Still not something to throw out lightly though.

Still, at least those guys were advocating for goblinoid acceptance.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skull the Troll View Post
    The imminent end of the world takes precedence over fixing the snarl situation permanently. If they can beat Xykon, they have much more time to try out negotiating tactics, as well as a stronger position to negotiate from.

Both ambushing Xykon and negotiating with Redcloak were gambles. I think the ambush plan was better, but negotiation wasn't outright terrible. The 'dumb' part is that Durkon didn't tell Roy what he was doing. So now the rest of the Order is stuck with no element of surprise, no clerics, and no workable plan.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

In defence of Durkon, they would have been in a much better position than before if Durkon had perform to convince RC.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

10. - Top - End - #520

Redcloak is the more important threat, but Xykon is the more immediate. It doesn't matter if you make a deal with Redcloak if Xykon's just going to blow the Gate out of pique (or for the lulz).

11. - Top - End - #521

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    The imminent end of the world takes precedence over fixing the snarl situation permanently. If they can beat Xykon, they have much more time to try out negotiating tactics, as well as a stronger position to negotiate from.
    If what you were saying were true, Loki wouldn't have bothered trying to stop Hel in the first place. Fixing the Snarl permanently is most definitely more important than the imminent end of the world, because the gods have made billions of worlds and this was the first one to produce something capable of dealing with the Snarl once and for all.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Deep fried ice cream is, if not common, at least a pretty well-known dessert, though. Heck, I've made it myself.
    Yeah, especially since it's basically just an elephant ear wrapped around ice cream.
    Last edited by WanderingMist; 2020-10-12 at 03:57 PM.

12. - Top - End - #522

Accidental double post please delete
    Last edited by WanderingMist; 2020-10-12 at 03:58 PM.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMist View Post
    No, suffer like the rest of us! You sit in that double post and like it!

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

If what you were saying were true, Loki wouldn't have bothered trying to stop Hel in the first place. Fixing the Snarl permanently is most definitely more important than the imminent end of the world, because the gods have made billions of worlds and this was the first one to produce something capable of dealing with the Snarl once and for all.
    If the world gets destroyed, but the snarl situation is fixed (honestly, not sure what scenarrio that could happen in), that doesn't do the people on the planet any good.

The endless cycle is the gods' problem. The mortals don't have to care.
    You can delete it in the editing window.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #525

It sounds like those restaurants messed it up or served it way too late. You barely fry it - I'm talking like 5-10 seconds max. The outside should be warm, crisp, and light, and the ice cream inside should be...well, ice cream. The outer part is really the only reason to do it.

My best guess us that they made it, put it up, and then there was a time gap until the server picked it up to get to you.
    It's not unlikely that several people at the table ordered it. Assuming that they were all prepared "at the same time", which is to say by the same cook one after another, then served at the same time, the first ones would have had to wait longer before being served. And I wouldn't be surprised if there was a delay between when they were set out for the server to deliver and when we got them at the table.

It's been a long time. I have a vague recollection of... a chewy corn-flake-based fried crust? Like, it wasn't even a nice texture in a best-case scenario for the rest of it.

You can make a super quick-and-dirty home version with sliced white bread. Or, you could if you had a deep fryer. Which, I must point out, is an essential kitchen appliance. The health detriment are offset by entering flavortown.
    A decade or so ago, this might have been more plausible. I've had some significant health problems that have forced me to drastically reduce my physical activity, so I'm having to be a lot more careful about how much fat I'm eating. I feel like I've aged about 20 years recently. I haven't even been able to bike for the last three months, though I'm hoping to be able to get back to that in a few more weeks. That's going to make a big difference.

16. - Top - End - #526

Lizardfolk

Just to go back to the comic for a second...

Maybe Oona leading Team Evil into the Dungeon is a deliberate misdirection? She was interested in what Minrah had to say before, maybe she wants to hear the rest of it.

17. - Top - End - #527

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post

Maybe Oona leading Team Evil into the Dungeon is a deliberate misdirection? She was interested in what Minrah had to say before, maybe she wants to hear the rest of it.
    a) If she was interested, she would probably not apply the mace treatment.

b) If she wanted to deliberately mislead them, she could've just done so to a different door altogether. It's not like Xykon or Redcloak would've noticed the tracks/snow.

18. - Top - End - #528

HalflingRogueGuy

Maybe Oona leading Team Evil into the Dungeon is a deliberate misdirection
    I don’t think Oona is misdirecting anyone. But Xykon might be. There’s a non-zero chance he knows where Minrah and Durkon are, and stepping into the cave is a trap to lure them out.

I don’t think Xykon is, though. I think he’s impatient and really does just want to clear the cave and remove the distraction.

I also think it’s time for Durkon and Minrah to windwalk the heck out of there, and I think they’re about to.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground

I think the first place I ever had fried ice cream as a kid was at the fancy Mexican restaurant in town. I couldn't even tell you the last time I had it.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

b) If she wanted to deliberately mislead them, she could've just done so to a different door altogether. It's not like Xykon or Redcloak would've noticed the tracks/snow.
    She did use the door being opened and then closed (and the pushing of the snow) as part of the evidence to say that was the right door, which was used to get the others to follow her. Without obvious evidence Redcloak may have just used magic anyway. I am not saying that she is misleading them, but I think that if she was then she would still lead the others through that door.
    Last edited by HeroErix; 2020-10-13 at 07:48 AM.

21. - Top - End - #531

Lizardfolk

Oona: But face-maceing is standard beginning for bugbear debate! If opponent is backing down at the threat of physical violence, then they are not believing their argument!

22. - Top - End - #532

HalflingRogueGuy

Oona: But face-maceing is standard beginning for bugbear debate! If opponent is backing down at the threat of physical violence, then they are not believing their argument!
    Bugbear lawyers have to pass the bar. It’s literally just a bar to the face.
    Last edited by Dion; 2020-10-13 at 10:12 AM.

23. - Top - End - #533

Dwarf lawyers have to not pass the bar.

24. - Top - End - #534

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Dwarf lawyers have to not pass the bar.
    Or perhaps they have to pass out at the bar.

25. - Top - End - #535

That would result in every dwarf becoming a lawyer eventually.

I think we just explained a few things. Dwarves aren't a Lawful society, they're a Lawyer Full society.

26. - Top - End - #536

That would result in every dwarf becoming a lawyer eventually.

I think we just explained a few things. Dwarves aren't a Lawful society, they're a Lawyer Full society.
    That also explains why they have a Good society - because deep down, lawyers are good people.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah, I didn't know you were a lawyer, Peelee.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

28. - Top - End - #538

Given several of my colleagues I challenge that assertion. Most lawyers I know would easily qualify as NE.

29. - Top - End - #539

Given several of my colleagues I challenge that assertion. Most lawyers I know would easily qualify as NE.
    You clearly haven't buried them deep enough.

BOOYAH got that joke told in reverse order!

30. - Top - End - #540
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

You clearly haven't buried them deep enough.

BOOYAH got that joke told in reverse order!
    You've never heard the one about the brass rat, have you?