New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #1216 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
    'Loaded for bear' means the subject is prepared in case a big dangerous animal like a bear shows up. It doesn't mean the bear's actually there, but it does mean that if a bear shows up it's going to have a bad day. Further, it has the connotation that the subject is prepared for much more dangerous threats than usual.
    Exactly.

How about "to bear" meaning, 'to point at a target'? E.g., "Bring all guns to bear on that ship." Loaded to bear would be more aggressive under that interpretation than, "Loaded for bear." They're actually pointed down a bearing at something.
    Loaded to Bear doesn't mean anything by itself, though. "Bear" in this case refers to 'bearing' or direction. It's not a complete thought. Loaded to bear where? It's just feels to me that you, like Peelee (albeit about a different theory), are grasping at straws with this one.

Feels like the whole "Kessel Run in 12 parsecs" thing. George goofed up. Then people bent over backward trying to come up with a semi-plausible explanation for it not being a goof up. Yes, I know they came up with a retro-active explanation for the whole thing. It was still a goof-up. 10 quatloos says this was, too.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2020-10-05 at 09:43 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

2. - Top - End - #212
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Feels like the whole "Kessel Run in 12 parsecs" thing. George goofed up. Then people bent over backward trying to come up with a semi-plausible explanation for it not being a goof up. Yes, I know they came up with a retro-active explanation for the whole thing. It was still a goof-up. 10 quatloos says this was, too.
    Or he was just bull****ting some backwater bumpkins with fancy space-talk. Kenobi rolls his eyes at that line, after all.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Akari Itagami View Post
    That wouldn't happen because Mitd was asking if "he can do it this time" points to him never meddled with any doors prior to that (these doors still remain truly empty as of strip #1216), and with a pinch of salt on someone's mention these are different doors than those sabotaged by Mitd back then, I'd say 10 gold goes to this room still being empty
    This strip indicates that he has been doing this for a while. He has to have sabotaged enough doors to shift the overall average of "doors per day", and they have to have been at this long enough to not remember specifically how many doors they've done each individual day.

Meanwhile, him asking if he can do it "this time" only means that he doesn't do it every time, not that he hasn't ever done it before.

EDIT: Actually, looking at the strips again, the strip where we see the MitD marking the extra doors is way back at 1042. There have been at least a couple of days between that and now, so even if that was the first time, he's probably marked more since.

EDIT: Actually, the MitD never asks if he can do it in the first place. He has the bucket of paint before they even enter the dungeon. Afterwards, he just says that he's going to mark the door, and the others are barely even paying attention to him.
    Last edited by BloodSquirrel; 2020-10-05 at 10:16 PM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Or he was just bull****ting some backwater bumpkins with fancy space-talk. Kenobi rolls his eyes at that line, after all.
    Possibly. And if George'd left it there, I'd be inclined to believe you. But then he went and made it so that yes, Han did in fact take a short-cut to make the run shorter, retro-actively justifying his goof.

"Your knuckles say 'COBRA'. Did you ever kill anyone?"
    "We're getting off the subject."
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #215

That was always my favorite interpretation. The need to retcon it with an overly complicated science-based explanation is a good example of what I dislike about post-OT Starwars.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Even if they've just walked into a Dungeon they haven't finished, doesn't mean they'd immediately accuse MitD of wrongdoing. There's at least three more plausible answers before Team Evil would conclude 'MitD has agency'

7. - Top - End - #217

Lizardfolk

"Your knuckles say 'COBRA'. Did you ever kill anyone?"
    "We're getting off the subject."
    Is this a Princess Bride joke?

8. - Top - End - #218
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSquirrel View Post
    That was always my favorite interpretation. The need to retcon it with an overly complicated science-based explanation is a good example of what I dislike about post-OT Starwars.
    It fit with Luke knowing nothing about interstellar travel too. "why can't you jump to hyperspace now? What's that flashing thing?"
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #219

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    Even if they've just walked into a Dungeon they haven't finished, doesn't mean they'd immediately accuse MitD of wrongdoing. There's at least three more plausible answers before Team Evil would conclude 'MitD has agency'
    They'd get there eventually, though. They do know that he's been marking the doors. They'll probably first think to confirm whether they've actually been in that door before or not (Redcloak should have a high enough INT score to say "Hey, this place doesn't look familiar").

Also, I think you mean "accuse the MitD of gooddoing". Wrongdoing would earn him a pat on the back.
    Last edited by BloodSquirrel; 2020-10-05 at 10:22 PM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Orc in the Playground

Also, I think you mean "accuse the MitD of gooddoing". Wrongdoing would earn him a pat on the back.
    Now, now, that depends on whom he's wronging with it. Xykon would probably give it a thumbs-up regardless, but Redcloak and Oona both have goblins they care* about.

*Or... whatever it is that Redcloak feels about his people. "Nobody gets to unjustly hurt us except for me", or something of the like?
    (This signature intentionally left blank)

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Possibly. And if George'd left it there, I'd be inclined to believe you. But then he went and made it so that yes, Han did in fact take a short-cut to make the run shorter, retro-actively justifying his goof.
    Except taking a short-cut proves nothing about the Falcon being particularly fast, which was the question being asked by Kenobi.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Equatorial?
    I'm in French Guyana, the equatorial part of France near Brazil.
    Our seasons are rain season, short hot "dry" season, rain season, long hot "dry" season.
    I put "dry" in quotes because that's what we call them but they are nowhere near as dry as someone from southern USA would consider as dry. They are dry compared to the rain season.

I heard this too.
    The problem is that Alec Guinness's acting is so subtle and the shot of his face is so quick, It's very easy to miss even when you know it's there.

And frankly, Han not knowing what a parsec is doesn't makes that much sense either.
    Last edited by Petrocorus; 2020-10-05 at 11:09 PM.
    Que tous les anciens dieux et les nouveaux protègent la France.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam K View Post
    Sun Tzu never had tier problems. If he had to deal with D&D, the Art of War would read "Full casters or GTFO".
    Quote Originally Posted by King Louis XIII in The Musketeers
    Common sense is for commoners, not for [ PC ].

13. - Top - End - #223

DwarfClericGuy

Redcloak already used a decent number of his upper level spells too. Jumping team evil after they have a few decent encounters would be a great time for it.

So the warg is still outside somewhere, right? That's not good.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Xykon, you idiot!

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

That logic would make sense if it we needed to reach that conclusion for sure right now. For any reader who doesn't they'll just find out in a couple of strips along with Team Evil when the run into a monster.
    Indeed. There is such a thing as suspense.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Equatorial?
    Spoiler: France
    Show
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

17. - Top - End - #227

I didn't read all posts so this could be already posted, but I'm putting it out here in case I need to brag in the future: Team Cleric just melted inside multidimensional rocks. Dwarven affinity for rock works combined with Roy's ranks in Architecture, will lead them to the gate.
    My personal folder is a graveyard of ideas, stuck in their dream phase.
    The "DM won't kill us" attitude is a bubble that sometimes needs to be bursted.
    There's an armor variant rule in UA that will drastically increase character survivability without completely bubble-wrapping them in plot invulnerability
    Throphies won:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I assume this'll be the time when Xykon and Redcloak discover that not all the doors with X's have actually been searched.
    Last edited by RicB76; 2020-10-08 at 05:43 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Halfling in the Playground

Nice! Count me among the people betting arbitrary amounts of imaginary currencies it's one of those uncleared doors MiTD marked to sabotage Team Evil.

20. - Top - End - #230

Quote Originally Posted by Gitman00 View Post
    so it would be interesting if Xykon ends up getting killed in this dungeon. He would return to his phylactery to regenerate, which means he would discover Redcloak's deception. One of two things could result:

A) Xykon kills Redcloak, making Jirix the high priest, and he might be more open to Durkon's offer.

B) Redcloak flees after Xykon discovers his treachery, and being out of options, he goes to the OotS chastened and more open to negotiating.*

*I recognize that these are longshot possibilities, as the logical thing for Redcloak to do if Xykon gets killed is to destroy the phylactery before Xykon can regenerate and kill him.
    Well, that would be three things that could result, counting RC destroying the phylactery.

But actually, there's (at least) one more.
    Sure, Xykon will be fifty shades of mad once he finds out about RC's switcheroo. But both RC and Xykon have invested a lot in The Plan and have been reluctant to abondon it. So it's not unthinkable they will continue their colaboration. They won't trust each other but what else is new?

As for the other threat: Why would Xykon or RC suspect the MitD to be behind the sabotage of their quest when they know perfectly well that there's a bunch of people out there trying to foil their plans? There's no indication (that I'm aware of) they ever figured out MitD's friendship with Mr. Stiffly. Which would be the only reason why he would sabotage Team Evil.

21. - Top - End - #231

Too many people have made interesting points to quote them all as counterpoint, so I'll just add the following:

I wonder what Xykon will want to do once they don't find Durkon & Minrah. Continue clearing dungeons as normal, on the theory that the Order can't pose a significant threat even when Team Evil is low on power? Or hunt the Order down so that they don't have to hold back some power for the end of the day? It seems unlikely he would take "that guy with the sword who's mad at him about something" that seriously, but stranger things have happened.

To amplify on why Xykon couldn't see them with True Seeing anyway, Meld into Stone is indeed transmutation... but the spell specifies Target: You. You're transmuted to fit in the stone, not vice versa.
    Question: If you were Xykon/RC and suspected (not knew) this, what spell would you use?

Aside from it serving the drama, it makes sense that the odds are in favor of this being an uncleared dungeon. Iirc, MitD was marking a handful for every one actually cleared.

I rather famously do not know how snow works.
    From a few years in Birmingham and growing up in Montgomery, I can definitely vouch for the fact that snow does exactly two things in either city (in contrast to the variety elsewhere): Land, and melt.

Sometimes there's even a significant span of time between the two.

~~~~~

(Edit: Couldn't resist adding a reply to this, I really hope that's not against a rule I haven't found yet...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heksefatter View Post
    Xykon, you idiot!
    Thanks. Now I've got the mental image of Roy as a tsundere schoolgirl, "Xykon no baka!". (^_~)
    Last edited by arimareiji; 2020-10-06 at 03:22 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232

Even if someone is boasting - there's just no point in using wrong terms on purpose. You'd just risk being found out right away.
    It only makes sense if Han himself doesn't know what those fancy space words mean. Which doesn't seem likely given his occupation.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    I thought the same, but looking it up it's a common enough expression. "Loaded for bear" gets around 500K hits, and "loaded to bear" gets 250K hits.
    You might want to look closer at that, though - Google often inflates its approximate count (presumably because most people never get off the front page) - when I look at page 10 of the "loaded for bear" results, the estimate has gone up from "About 620,000" to "About 678,000", while "loaded to bear" doesn't have a page 10 - when you click on page 7, it sheepishly admits that it's showing you "Page 7 of about 65 results" - not 65 thousand, just 65.
    Last edited by afarrell; 2020-10-06 at 04:02 AM.

24. - Top - End - #234

Meld into stone was a nice idea, and I didn't see it coming.
    BUT a tracker of the clear expertise of Oona (who can distinguish between Durkon's and Minrah's feet) would immediately notice that the tracks end up suddenly in nothing. "They apprently disapperead in this spot".
    Not sure Team Evil knows about meld into stone (they could think the dwarfs used Plane Shift, for example), but surely enough they wouldn't need to enter the dungeon.

About the marks on the door, MitD asked explicitly at least once to paint the doors. If this is what happens usually, they will have no problem to track the problem to it.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Firbolg in the Playground

Correction: Subtly manipulating Xykon is something that Redcloak thinks he does fairly well. Almost every time it actually matters Xykon winds up not doing what Redcloak wants.
    Well, Xykon is doing his thing (working towards performing the Ritual) right now, so I'd say he performs adequately.

26. - Top - End - #236

PaladinGuy

So, what's going to happen now the Monster is not with Xykon and Redcloak?

27. - Top - End - #237
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
    As for the other threat: Why would Xykon or RC suspect the MitD to be behind the sabotage of their quest when they know perfectly well that there's a bunch of people out there trying to foil their plans? There's no indication (that I'm aware of) they ever figured out MitD's friendship with Mr. Stiffly. Which would be the only reason why he would sabotage Team Evil.
    Redcloack has a very high wisdom, if he remembers that the MitD was so insistent in not attacking the Order at Girard's rift he might easily connect the dots.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lex View Post
    Redcloack has a very high wisdom, if he remembers that the MitD was so insistent in not attacking the Order at Girard's rift he might easily connect the dots.
    In fact, MitD kept rambling about how much he loves O-Chul near-constatntly while they were in G. City, and he still seems to do do that on occasion (e.g. we know he told Oona just that). Redcloak might have more to work from than we realise.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

Nicely explained.

The thing about thinking the MITD is dumb, is that
    Spoiler
    Show
    RC claimed he knows what the MITD is. Shouldn't that also mean RC also knows how intelligent the MITD can be?
    Redcloak knows how smart the MITD can be in theory, but he's also had plenty of time to see how "smart" he can be in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaziggy View Post
    I estimate no greater than a 10% chance of this being a door MitD has marked.
    How did you determine that number?

Quote Originally Posted by Petrocorus View Post
    I'm in French Guyana, the equatorial part of France near Brazil.
    Ooh, there are some great rums from the area. (Although lately my preference has been Martinique's rhum agricole.)

Quote Originally Posted by Calavera View Post
    Panel 2 should say "loaded fer bear" not "loaded ta bear".
    There's been a lot of debate on this already; count me in the "loaded for bear" camp, both because I think that's the actual phrase, but, specific to what "loaded to bear" might mean, Durkon is referring to Xykon being armed to the teeth, not to supporting weight.

30. - Top - End - #240

Lizardfolk

Surely 'loaded with bear' would be the most dangerous? Or does that only work when referring to druids?