New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Fuzzball - Oona or Greyview?

So in panel 22 Xykon says 'The fuzzball found a trail!' which raises the question if he meant the trail that lead them to the door (found by Oona) or potentially a trail inside the door (potentially found by Oona or Greyview).

I initially thought that he meant Oona but am starting to get unsure of that.

A trail inside the door might indicate that someone else is around - possible the invisible voices who captured the paladins.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Fuzzball - Oona or Greyview?

He meant Oona. She's got some serious Wolverine-style sideburns going.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    He meant Oona. She's got some serious Wolverine-style sideburns going.
    Not just sideburns. Bugbears have exceptional body hair all over.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #4

PaladinGuy

I'm pretty sure he meant the trail to the door too, not a trail inside the door. Would the invisible voices leave tracks? They can fly. Plus if Oona can tell the difference between the two dwarves from their trails she would probably notice the difference between their trail and one left by the invisible voices.
    Last edited by Jason; 2020-10-06 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Bold Emphasis

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I'm pretty sure he meant the trail to the door too, not a trail inside the door. Would the invisible voices leave tracks? They can fly. Plus if Oona can tell the difference between the two dwarves from their trails she would probably notice the difference between their trail and one left by the invisible voices.
    What Oona can recognize in soft snow might be very different than what she could see on hard clean ground.

Logically, we know that within a few feet of the door there would be snow coming off the boots enough to see, unless Oona is a very poor tracker. But by the 3.5 rules, that she may be confused by other tracks on hard ground makes perfect sense.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

As interesting of implication as a trail inside would be, I do think that he was referring to what Oona found outside.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

I initially read it as Oona finding the trail leading to the doorway, but upon rereading I can see it being Greyview smelling something inside (which will presumably turn out to be a monster if this is a MITD door).
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Xykon is telling Redcloak to stop trying to guess whether or not the dwarves actually went into the door, a process which he describes as "overthinking", because "the fuzzball found a trail". If another trail had been found inside the dungeon, Redcloak's speculation that perhaps the dwarves didn't go into the dungeon would have been wrong (as far as Team Evil could tell, anyway), and Xykon would have called him out on that. But that's not what happened - instead, Xykon chided him for "overthinking" the situation. Thus, we can conclude that the trail Xykon is referring to is outside of the dungeon, not inside it. And since Oona, not Greyview, was the one to find the trail outside of the dungeon we can conclude that "fuzzball" is a reference to Oona, not Greyview.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

9. - Top - End - #9

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Bugbears have exceptional body hair all over.
    Exceptional and luxurious. Bugbears are the Fabio of the goblinoids. (*)

(*) not intended as a factual statement.
    Last edited by Dion; 2020-10-06 at 04:15 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Oona. She's a fuzzy wuzzy ranger.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society