New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Will there be a 2021 OotS Calendar?

It's getting to be Calendar-Ordering time at work, which means it's probably about time to be ordering (or pre-ordering) an OotS one (or two or three).

Last year the Giant ran into some problems with his printer (not his personal printer - that I heard about, anyway - but the 'professional' printing company that prints his calendars), and there was talk of there possibly not being a calendar for 2021. Does anyone know (or Rich, if you're reading, can you comment, even if it's just to say "No comment") if those got resolved?

Should I plan on an OotS calendar for next year?
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Will there be a 2021 OotS Calendar?

The answer is sadly no.

No OOTS calendar this year (or probably in the future). Last year's was sort of a fiasco, economically and logistically, that I'd rather not deal with again. And at this point I would need to be halfway finished already to get it done on time.

3. - Top - End - #3

More on point, the calendars are at best a break even item for Rich. I'm kind of surprised he kept up with them as long as he did. So if that means he has more time for drawing the comic instead I'm happy with that trade.

4. - Top - End - #4

AssassinGuy

Awwwww.......

I guess that means the first one I've ever bought will also be my last. Same thing happened with my ThinkGeek demotivational calendar, they didn't come out with one the next year.

Do I have some hideous superpower that kills novelty calendars?
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Darn.

Thanks for the calendars you did release, though! I have really enjoyed them! Many, many thanks!
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #6

Do we have enough that we can re use the old ones? My wall isn't going to look the same with out a stick figure calendar on it.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Awwwww.......

I guess that means the first one I've ever bought will also be my last. Same thing happened with my ThinkGeek demotivational calendar, they didn't come out with one the next year.

Do I have some hideous superpower that kills novelty calendars?
    Don't you DARE buy any AMFES sets if you haven't already!! Really looking forward to Summer2, if you couldn't tell

Anyway, that makes sense on the calendars, though I'm sad to hear it -- I think I bought 4 in total and they were always a very fun diversion (i.e. getting to see the OotS characters in entirely new settings and some great new jokes!).

8. - Top - End - #8

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Don't you DARE buy any AMFES sets if you haven't already!! Really looking forward to Summer2, if you couldn't tell
    Good news, Ionathus- I don't even know what AMFES is, and just to be on the safe side I'm not going to look it up.
    Namer Of MitD Threads

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    I'm sure Darth Paul's 'superpower' is just as reliable as Astrology (panel 2).

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Good news, Ionathus- I don't even know what AMFES is, and just to be on the safe side I'm not going to look it up.
    Fine, fine. Don't buy any AMFES stuff.

On a completely unrelated note, have you seen Rich's A Monster for Every Season pdfs? They are totally not calendars so should be completely unaffected by your totally-legitTM superpower.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

Dang, I love my calendars.

It is also sad to hear Rich wasn't making money off of them. We get all of this free content on the website and I liked to think that, by buying a calendar, I was helping to pay for it. I have no use for the monster pdfs, so I guess I'll have to wait for the next book to be released.

11. - Top - End - #11

I think he still has a storefront on CafePress, so you can keep stocked up on OOTS t-shirts.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Yeah, I just liked buying more from Rich. But now that I can fund his Patreon, that's not so hard!
    When in doubt, assume you rolled a natural one.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    The answer is sadly no.
    This is very disappointing. I've bought every calendar since the first one. The annual calendar has always been a big deal for me, I actually separate out the art and frame them. I have so many that I've run out of wall space in my office to hang them.

I've seen people say that he barely breaks even and the tweet says that it was difficult to make happen. The main ways for me to purchase things from OotS has always been the calendars and the books. Since the books obviously aren't released regularly the calendars were the next best thing.

Obviously there isn't anything changing this year, but if there was one next year it would mean alot.

Does anyone know what Rich means by the logistical difficulties?

14. - Top - End - #14

The printers completely screwed up more than once, shipping rates increased by like 40% between payment and release, Customs in various countries left stuff in warehouses for weeks, packages were shipped to the wrong countries...basically, everything that can go wrong barring a warehouse fire happened. And served as enough of a distraction that it wasn't noticed that the website was dying (see the last three News posts).

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I can't say I'm surprised, but I will still miss my bonus monthly comic.

For those who actually need it to tell the days of the week (I never could use it for that, since its whole "week starts on Sunday" actually prevented me from being able to use it, I was always off by a day when glancing at it), since there have been 6 of them, you might be able to reuse one of the old ones?

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

since there have been 6 of them, you might be able to reuse one of the old ones?
    7 of them (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020).

And none of them will work for 2021.

2016 would have worked (both 2016 and 2021 starting the year with a Friday), were it not for the fact that 2016 is a leap year, and 2021 is not. So it'll only work for January and most of February.

2016's one will work for 2022 - but only from March onwards.

The next year for which an already printed calendar will function perfectly for the whole year, is 2023 - you can use 2017's calendar for that without any problems.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-10-08 at 02:46 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

17. - Top - End - #17

I think they mean just changing from calendar to calendar as needed.

18. - Top - End - #18

Unless you ignore the "what day of the week it is" row at the top, all calendars released so far, will be displaying the wrong day of the week, for at least some years.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2020-10-08 at 10:32 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Unless you ignore the "what day of the week it is" row at the top, all calendars released so far, will be displaying the wrong day of the week, for at least some years.
    I think Rogar Demonblud means that if you shop around in the 7 calendars, you'll be able to get something that displays the correct day of the week every month, just not from the same calendar.

For example, you're correct that for March 2021, you can't use March 2014 or March 2015 or March 2016 or March 2017 or March 2018 or March 2019 or March 2020, but you CAN use, for example, May 2017, which, like March 2021, starts on a Monday and has 31 days.

And then, when April comes, you can flip to June (2017). It'll still match.
    And when May comes, you can flip to July (2017), it'll still match.
    And when June comes, you can flip to August (2017), and you'll be fine until the 30th.
    Then, when July comes, you'll have to shop around. You can grab October of 2020, for example. It has 31 days and starts on a Thursday, just like July 2021.

Then, when August comes, you can just flip to November (2020) and you'll be fine until the 30th.

Probably easier though to just use an actual 2021 calendar and print random OotS art 12 times and glue that to each page :P
    Offer good while supplies last. Two to a customer. Each item sold separately. Batteries not included. Mileage may vary. All sales are final. Allow six weeks for delivery. Some items not available. Some assembly required. Some restrictions may apply. All entries become our property. Employees not eligible. Entry fees not refundable. Local restrictions apply. Void where prohibited. Except in Indiana.

20. - Top - End - #20

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I'm sure Darth Paul's 'superpower' is just as reliable as Astrology (panel 2).

Fine, fine. Don't buy any AMFES stuff.

On a completely unrelated note, have you seen Rich's A Monster for Every Season pdfs? They are totally not calendars so should be completely unaffected by your totally-legitTM superpower.
    Still, better to be on the safe side. And luckily I still don't know what AMFES is, so please continue keeping me in the dark on that.
    Namer Of MitD Threads

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Not too surprising given I didn't get my copy until late April and it wasn't in the best state when I did eventually get it. Did email to offer feedback and got an offer of a replacement which was nice. That never materialised which was less ideal even if I genuinely only emailed to say it maybe wasn't the best idea to use those distributers in Germany again. Thankfully the latest book I also ordered that came with the first calender was in fine condition.

Also did anyone else flip to November's for this month and then get really depressed?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

My family all joked about "too soon!" and how good Rich was at predicting events well in advance

Anyone have any idea what Thog is talking about? It's kind of like the Nale/Not-Nale/Knot-Nail bit, but I honestly have no clue what he's talking about on the calendar.

Next question: Is Therkla stealing November 31st? Or is she using it to hide?

23. - Top - End - #23

Anyone have any idea what Thog is talking about? It's kind of like the Nale/Not-Nale/Knot-Nail bit, but I honestly have no clue what he's talking about on the calendar.

Next question: Is Therkla stealing November 31st? Or is she using it to hide?
    Maybe she's adding it? After all, there is no November 31st in real life.

Thog is talking about the Linear Guild's escape from Azure City, IMO.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Maybe she's adding it? After all, there is no November 31st in real life.

Thog is talking about the Linear Guild's escape from Azure City, IMO.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0458.html
    If Therkla's adding to it, it's probably just so she can blend in and hide behind it.

Thog recounting his escape from Azure City does fit. Thanks!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
    I think Rogar Demonblud means that if you shop around in the 7 calendars, you'll be able to get something that displays the correct day of the week every month, just not from the same calendar.

For example, you're correct that for March 2021, you can't use March 2014 or March 2015 or March 2016 or March 2017 or March 2018 or March 2019 or March 2020, but you CAN use, for example, May 2017, which, like March 2021, starts on a Monday and has 31 days.

And then, when April comes, you can flip to June (2017). It'll still match.
    And when May comes, you can flip to July (2017), it'll still match.
    And when June comes, you can flip to August (2017), and you'll be fine until the 30th.
    Then, when July comes, you'll have to shop around. You can grab October of 2020, for example. It has 31 days and starts on a Thursday, just like July 2021.

Then, when August comes, you can just flip to November (2020) and you'll be fine until the 30th.

Probably easier though to just use an actual 2021 calendar and print random OotS art 12 times and glue that to each page :P
    You could also use the miniature 2021 calendars in the back of the 2020 one.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)

26. - Top - End - #26
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

It's getting to be Calendar-Ordering time at work, which means it's probably about time to be ordering (or pre-ordering) an OotS one (or two or three).

Last year the Giant ran into some problems with his printer (not his personal printer - that I heard about, anyway - but the 'professional' printing company that prints his calendars), and there was talk of there possibly not being a calendar for 2021. Does anyone know (or Rich, if you're reading, can you comment, even if it's just to say "No comment") if those got resolved?

Should I plan on an OotS calendar for next year?
    Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    Sheriff: This seems to have served its purpose.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex