Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40k Fluff Discussion XVII: Call Necrosius, The Old Thread Is Dead!

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Artillery into the dust cloud? Against shields that they couldn't break from orbit?

Which was very well explained; the mess there is his invisible ships, not the rescue itself.

While there is a lot of hyperbole that campaign to me is the peak of narrative intertwined with gameplay. New units make a debut, new rules are added, all tied together with an exciting, if formulaic, narrative event. In-world justifications for a bunch of stuff are tried and some awesome scenes come out of it, and then they hit the reset button and back to status quo. But a reset button you knew from the start was there, so its not an asspull.
    Against the Tau doing hit and run attacks against their vanguard on the march there.

The invisible ships, yes.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40k Fluff Discussion XVII: Call Necrosius, The Old Thread Is Dead!

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Against the Tau doing hit and run attacks against their vanguard on the march there.
    But those are by the invisible teams precisely so they dont get shelled out before uncovering their position. Also, he had an absurdly tight schedule to comply with; were he afforded the time to deploy camp and conduct a proper siege, then he would've likely done that.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

But those are by the invisible teams precisely so they dont get shelled out before uncovering their position. Also, he had an absurdly tight schedule to comply with; were he afforded the time to deploy camp and conduct a proper siege, then he would've likely done that.
    Speaking of the schedule, I don't understand why they were on such a tight schedule. I mean, I could understand why the fleets and the space marines would have to leave, but why the Imperial Guard too?

Also they weren't Stealth Teams, there were very much tank duels against Hammerheads and the like.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking of the schedule, I don't understand why they were on such a tight schedule. I mean, I could understand why the fleets and the space marines would have to leave, but why the Imperial Guard too?

Also they weren't Stealth Teams, there were very much tank duels against Hammerheads and the like.
    Tanks are stealthy if creed is around.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Ogre in the Playground

They were still jamming the crap out of their auspexes and using the ruined battlefield to cover their aproach. Also he had the numbers to not really care about losses so long as the advance remained steady, remeber that the Imperium doesn't actually lose, they just run out of time and go "nebula burns, everyone dies". There were a ton of soldiers and machines evacuating at the end after all.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Titan in the Playground

They were still jamming the crap out of their auspexes and using the ruined battlefield to cover their aproach. Also he had the numbers to not really care about losses so long as the advance remained steady, remeber that the Imperium doesn't actually lose, they just run out of time and go "nebula burns, everyone dies". There were a ton of soldiers and machines evacuating at the end after all.
    I know. I'm just absolutely sick of the Imperial Guard being portrayed as only capable of human wave tactics. Yeah, they won, and yeah they didn't need to care about their losses. It's still stupidly sloppy in my opinion and it wouldn't have taken much for them to do even better.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ogre in the Playground

I know. I'm just absolutely sick of the Imperial Guard being portrayed as only capable of human wave tactics. Yeah, they won, and yeah they didn't need to care about their losses. It's still stupidly sloppy in my opinion and it wouldn't have taken much for them to do even better.
    Not that I disagree in principle, but at least in this case they make a point even before deployment of why rushing is all thats left to them. Pask losing the ace duel to Longstrike stings more, mostly because I hate 'cool, collected, reasonable' characters ever winning. Whats the point of obsesively devoting to one aspect of your existence if a more balanced ******* will still outdo you at that one thing?

If anything though, it all comes down to mechanicus greed and incompetence. Even through the weather generators (that the AdMech failed to detect), the jamming and the invisible BS (that the AdMech failed to counter) they still were making progress until their flank literally evaporated (because the AdMech was only there to steal stuff for themselves). Even with a jank ass strategy and every factor against them, the hammer of the emperor was breaking through, until it was just too much all at once. Even the Tau had accepted the loss x___x.

Best scene though? When they realize they cant crack the Obsidian Knight and shoot at the ground :D. Its YGO levels of bull**** right there, while at the same time being entirely logical and reasonable.
    Last edited by LansXero; 2021-04-19 at 04:12 PM.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Troll in the Playground

In case anyone's interested, Humble Bundle has a bundle of Black Library books available for the next two weeks (13 days, 21 hours, 28 minutes as of this posting).

(Also, I'm not affiliated with Humble Bundle)
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

9. - Top - End - #669
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    In case anyone's interested, Humble Bundle has a bundle of Black Library books available for the next two weeks (13 days, 21 hours, 28 minutes as of this posting).

(Also, I'm not affiliated with Humble Bundle)
    I like how all the $1 bundle are all guard books, even books about the guard are cheap (and disposable?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    I like how all the $1 bundle are all guard books, even books about the guard are cheap (and disposable?)
    The real deciding factor on disposability is if they come with pre-punched holes in the corner a la the Farmers Almanac for you to hang in your outhouse!

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    - No matter what Necrons do; Cicatrix.
    What about their blackstone pylon technology?
    Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

If we shadows have offended, think but this, and all is mended. That you have but slumbered here, while these visions did appear, and this weak and idle theme, no more yielding but a dream. -Midsummer Night's Dream, Act 5, Scene 1

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    What about their blackstone pylon technology?
    Problem: Abaddon spends ten thousand years destroying Pylons, with the culmination of his plan ending up creating the Cicatrix.

Solution: You must build additional Pylons.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

13. - Top - End - #673
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Problem: Abaddon spends ten thousand years destroying Pylons, with the culmination of his plan ending up creating the Cicatrix.

Solution: You must build additional Pylons.
    As awesome of a reference that is, that does actually make sense. Abaddon mostly destroyed the Pylons when they were deactivated, and relatively undefended. The Necrons could build new ones, ones that they are guarding, and that are more actively denying the warp.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ettin in the Playground

As awesome of a reference that is, that does actually make sense. Abaddon mostly destroyed the Pylons when they were deactivated, and relatively undefended. The Necrons could build new ones, ones that they are guarding, and that are more actively denying the warp.
    Isn't that the whole deal with the Pariah Nexus?
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

15. - Top - End - #675
    Pixie in the Playground

Aye, the Pariah Nexus is very much the Necron response to the Cicatrix. And also that first piece of short fiction they put out about the miners just losing their will was some amazing horror writing.