New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Gloomblade Fighter, build suggestions

Hi there, my previous character died the very first session after summer break :D
    Time for a new one.
    My group needs desperately a front-liner damage dealer, i usually like gish builds, but a magus wouldn't offer reliability in grindy dungeon crawling (a magus would outperform a fighter a few times a day, but we need muscles in minor fights too), so i thought about a fetchling gloomblade, i think the gloomblade features and the fetchling racial spell like abilities offer a good compromise in respect to a straight fighter.

My idea is that of a very mobile fighter, which will culminate with the dimensional agility tree later on.
    I'm starting level 3

stats (rolled)

str 16
    Dex 13 -> 15 after racial adjustment
    Cos 16
    int 13
    wis 11 -> 9 after racial adjustment
    cha 11 -> 13 after racial adjustment

Feats:
    1) power attack
    2) iron will
    3) dodge
    4) gloomstorm
    5) mobility
    6) just out of reach
    7) combat reflexes
    8) don't know, mbe bodyguard or outflank
    9) flickering step
    10) dimensional agility
    11) dimensional assault
    12) dimensional dervish
    13) dimensional savant

Do you have any suggestion about feats i missed, traits or whatever?
    Mobility/just out of reach is there because from level 9 gloomblade is able to extend the reach of his weapons by 5 ft, which coupled with the ability of summoning reach, meele or throw weapons on the spot should make me able to induce nasty battle control situations, forcing enemies getting close and triggering AOO on them.
    Last edited by Selion; 2020-10-08 at 06:22 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Gloomblade Fighter, build suggestions

The Magus should be fine using cantrips, spell recall, and a few scrolls, really. And he gets the dimdoor combo several levels earlier than the fighter.

That said, I think most of your feats could be better. Just Out Of Reach is funny, but really not worth three feats (and the nasty battle control you're talking about doesn't require it, either). Dodge, Mobility, Iron Will, and Gloomstorm are pretty bad feats in general. If you want nasty battle control, go for the Improved Trip, Vicious Stomp, Greater Trip line. And if this is going to be grindy, get Bodyguard as early as possible (and the Helpful trait, making it +4 instead of +2).

Also, if you want to play a fighter, consider the archetypes that give you a mutagen, familiar, tactician and/or more skill points. HTH.
    Last edited by Kurald Galain; 2020-10-08 at 07:24 AM.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3

Gloomblades tend to be most effective as either a Shikigami Style+Improvisational Focus attacker or an Iron Caster adding Training to their shadow weapons for a pseudo-martial flexibility

4. - Top - End - #4

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Dinosaur View Post
    Gloomblades tend to be most effective as either a Shikigami Style+Improvisational Focus attacker or an Iron Caster adding Training to their shadow weapons for a pseudo-martial flexibility
    I don't like shikigami style, maiming foes with a giant shadow chair... not my cup of tea.

Un the other verse i read the iron caster and it's very very interesting. We follow strictly the rules, so i don't think my master will allow training on shadow weapons, still the build is available with the feat barrom brawler (or a level dip in brawler):

lev 5 advanced weapon training - item mastery

lev 5 barrom brawler
    lev 6 advanced weapon training - abundant tactic
    level 7 whatever
    level 8 whatever
    level 9 flickering step (i need it to make dimensional feats in the agility tree combat feats)
    level 10

If i take combat expertize i can use barrom brawler even for other nasty things, such as improved trip, so it would be an extremely versatile character a few times per day, the rest of the times... he's still a decent beatstick, nice one, thank you!

Edit: i noticed that advanced weapon training - item mastery is not required, because it's what i select with barroom brawler
    Last edited by Selion; 2020-10-09 at 10:02 AM.