New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Just vs Just pronunciation

The word spelled just has two meanings I know of, and this post is about if it has two pronunciations or not based on which meaning if used.
    The word "just" as in justice, being just or righteous or fair.
    The word "just" as in the adjective being simply that. It is "just an apple" or "just a sign", nothing more.

I read a webcomic in PvP recently where the punchline was someone pronouncing both usages the same. I don't pronounce them the same. The justice-just I pronounce like the "just" in "justice", but the intensity-modifier one like "juss" or "guss". However, as I think about it, I'd comprehend it if someone used the pronunciations backwards. Though says "he's a juss guy" to be fair would sound odd, but I think I'd understand.

I'm guessing this might be a southern thing. I don't have much of a southern drawl, but it manifests in a few words (plus my purposeful adoption of "y'all" as a second person plural).
    So, for y'all, do you pronounce those two usages differently or not?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Just vs Just pronunciation

For me it is one word with one way to pronounce it - "just".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Ditto. This is the first ive heard of them being pronounced differently.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

If anyone here pronounces them the same and is in the southern US, that would be an interesting data point.

It might be a peculiarity of my own speech. There's a few phonemes I have trouble distinguishing between. For example, I would pronounce "melt" as "milt" (like "mill", but with a t at the end), except when saying the words "patty melt". I had no clue until I was talking with some friends and talked about melting something, and they had no idea what I meant, and I couldn't tell the difference between how we were pronouncing it until it was very clearly spelled out for me. I still have trouble pronouncing it right unless I mentally check how I say "patty melt" first.

Anyway, just curious if this is a dialectical thing or not. But it's neat to hear that, at least in some regions, they are pronounced the same.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

UK here, I've never heard them pronounced differently.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

I've been to the South and have heard "juss" in the context described. Personally, I almost always pronounce it with the "t" at the end, except when my Appalachian comes out, but that also changes vowel sounds in perplexing and sporadic ways and it sounds more like "jes'".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Another Brit, and they've always been homophones to me.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

They're the same pronunciation, but dropping hard consonants on the ends of words is a pretty common accent/dialect change. 'Justice' doesn't lose it because that t is required to transition into the second syllable. I would bet that if you normally drop the t on 'just' it will change depending on what is following it - there are likely certain followup sounds where the t comes back because it's too awkward to say without it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I have heard it as "jusd" on occasion because people do the t-to-d drift here in California a lot. But even then it has been pretty rare and mostly limited to the habitually intoxicated/ those who have been associated with subculutres who value the affectation of such intoxication.
    I do know one person with a deep Interior-West drawl who does that too...but couldn't say if it is at all dialect or just their idolect

That said in either California or the UK I have never heard them as anything but homophones

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

So, what I’m getting from this is that there’s a webcomic out there that’s only understandable if you are from the South of the USA.

Neat.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

According to Webster's, the adjective has one pronunciation. The adverb is pronounced the same but it also has variant regional pronunciations (probably because the adverb is used a lot more often).
    The Curse of the House of Rookwood: Supernatural horror and family drama.
    Ash Island: Personal survival horror in the vein of Silent Hill.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Never heard more than one pronunciation here in Australia, either by Aussies or anyone from anywhere else.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    If anyone here pronounces them the same and is in the southern US, that would be an interesting data point.
    Allow me to add an interesting data point. Everybody I know pronounces them the same and I have never even imagined they would be pronounced differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    So, what I’m getting from this is that there’s a webcomic out there that’s only understandable if you are from the South of the USA.

Neat.
    It just sounds like it would confuse me.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-10 at 12:06 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    UK here, I've never heard them pronounced differently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Another Brit, and they've always been homophones to me.
    It occurs to me that we Brits are being forgetful! The late great Tommy Cooper, a comedian and magician had as his catchphrase "Just like that".
    In recordings of Tommy you can (just) hear the "t" in "Just", but it's close enough to the "Juss" pronunciation that I would expect people used to that to have no issues understanding that word. Most people I have heard do Tommy Cooper impressions exaggerate this to "Juss like that"...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Add another "interesting data point" to the list, from sunny Florida. The only time I hear people say "juss" is if they've had a few.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I usually pronunce Just as in Justice "Ja-St".

Wile the Just (only this) as "Jeu-St" (think a frensh "-e").

PS: I'm not a native speaker, so I may be entirelly wrong. But it has been around 20+ years that I speak English, 11 of the quite fluently...
    Last edited by Asmotherion; 2020-10-10 at 06:55 AM.

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    The only time I hear people say "juss" is if they've had a few.
    Chicago, here. Likewise, I've only heard this pronunciation when someone is slurring their speech (whether due to intoxication or for informal/stylistic purposes).
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

18. - Top - End - #18

I'm from New Zealand, and most of the time I pronounce the adjective and the adverb in the exact same way. The times when I pronounce it differently usually happen because of differences in emphasis. Occasionally, I'll pronounce the adverb without much emphasis, so it ends up being pronounced like "j'st." This almost never happens with the adjective.
    Spoiler: Out-of-context quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...He would have to stay there permanently (without cake, somehow not breathing) for the prophecy to be fulfilled.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    Maybe Blackwing is a Schrödinger's familiar.
    Any given member of the Order needs to do a quantum measurement to see if they remember him

Azurite Name Inspirations
    Rich is a better writer than that!
    Free speech?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

I'm used to hearing both of them on TV. But I wasn't aware it was a Southern US dialectal thing. Nice.
    I would use /d͡ʒʌst/ when I am stressing the word and /d͡ʒʌs/ when I am not.
    Wikitionary has some variants, too? I am guessing those evolved from the Southern US dialect pronunciation.
    (Though I couldn't find anything academic on it in a quick search on Google Scholar.)

just
    Alternative forms
    jes
    jes'
    jest
    Pronunciation
    (Received Pronunciation, General American) IPA(key): /d͡ʒʌst/

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Yet another southerner here (from upstate SC), and I pronounce them both the same - with a T. I could see slurring through the T if I was tipsy or talking quickly, or putting more emphasis on the T if the word as a whole is being emphasized, but if that was the case, I'd probably do it regardless of how the word is being used.

Go Tigers!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Personally, I use just as in "Justice" for matters related to justice, and both pronunciations for every day use, though the closer to "jest" pronunciation is used less for me.

In my head, I use the "justice" type for for "just a choice of which day is taco day" when thinking bout this.

22. - Top - End - #22

PaladinGuy

It occurs to me that we Brits are being forgetful! The late great Tommy Cooper, a comedian and magician had as his catchphrase "Just like that".
    In recordings of Tommy you can (just) hear the "t" in "Just", but it's close enough to the "Juss" pronunciation that I would expect people used to that to have no issues understanding that word. Most people I have heard do Tommy Cooper impressions exaggerate this to "Juss like that"...
    Jus' William does the same I think (and jussed), but it was written so (even if I recall correctly) Richmal was clearly treating it as a peculiarity.
    Possibly Para-Handy (and he almost certainly uses lawful just). [ETA "chust"]

So I think it is an British variant too, but unlike Scone, the hard t is as far as I know accepted the real one (i.e. when it's not in a sentence) and the two words just/just homophonic.
    Last edited by jayem; 2020-10-16 at 08:43 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I've never really thought about it before, but there is a slight difference in how I say them. (Southern British accent here.)

"Just" as in "justice" is pronounced clearly and usually carries the stress of a phrase or the word that contains it. So it's unmistakably "just", not "jest" or "jist".

But "just" as in "mere" is usually a much less weighty word, and as such the vowel sound tends to shrivel into a schwa - if it were played to an uninformed listener, without context, it might be heard as some other vowel.
    Last edited by veti; 2020-10-18 at 03:34 AM.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

24. - Top - End - #24
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Grew up in Massachusetts and now live in New York, and have always known them to be pronounced exactly the same.

I do have a good friend from Georgia who has a rather strong accent. I don't think I've ever noticed him pronounce them differently, but it might just (heh) be similar enough to have escaped my notice.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

The adjective from "justice" is pronounced pretty much the same everywhere I've heard it.

But the synonym of "only" is not always pronounced the same, even by a single individual.

Here in Dallas, and in its suburbs, many people say "jus'" when the next word starts with a consonant. In the smaller towns nearby, "jus'" becomes more common. But I suspect that if you asked them, they would claim that they were saying "just". That's jus' the way a drawl works. They always pronounce the "t" in a phrase like "just in time" or "just a second".

One character in Walt Kelly's comic strip Pogo often said, "Jes' fine." This strip was set in the Okeefenokee swamp.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Chicago, here. Likewise, I've only heard this pronunciation when someone is slurring their speech (whether due to intoxication or for informal/stylistic purposes).
    Same here. Born and raised in West Virginia, have lived in Virginia, Kentucky, North Carolina, and now Indiana.