Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Default Brainstorming - Librarians

Self-scrubbing for reasons.
    Last edited by jjordan; 2023-01-24 at 05:18 PM. Reason: self-scrub

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Brainstorming - Librarians

Do not forget that all librarians are extremely good looking and incredibly smart.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    Do not forget that all librarians are extremely good looking and incredibly smart.
    All seems like an overly broad characterization.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
    All seems like an overly broad characterization.
    It is simple truth. Librarians are, as a profession, the handsomest and smartest of professions.

They seem to have a lot of spell slots for their levels; I know you're doing an NPC class, but that is 1e Druid level.

However, I would suggest that they also be Ritualists... I suppose I am heavily thinking Giles as an inspiration.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5

Goblin

It is simple truth. Librarians are, as a profession, the handsomest and smartest of professions.

They seem to have a lot of spell slots for their levels; I know you're doing an NPC class, but that is 1e Druid level.

However, I would suggest that they also be Ritualists... I suppose I am heavily thinking Giles as an inspiration.
    100% ritualists, even for the cantrips. Yep, that will do it. Thank you. The spell slots are meant to give them a longer 'adventuring day'. They can spend a full day working rather than only being able to use core skills for twenty or thirty minutes and then being done. It's a lot of slots, but they're really limited.

6. - Top - End - #6

100% ritualists, even for the cantrips. Yep, that will do it. Thank you. The spell slots are meant to give them a longer 'adventuring day'. They can spend a full day working rather than only being able to use core skills for twenty or thirty minutes and then being done. It's a lot of slots, but they're really limited.
    Maybe a list of spells that they consider rituals, then?
    The Cranky Gamer

7. - Top - End - #7

Goblin

Maybe a list of spells that they consider rituals, then?
    Not sure I understand the question. Would you please elaborate?

I've set them up so they have a lot of spell slots (maybe too many) but are limited to a specific subset of spells and may not use those spell slots to cast any other spells. I've also added language to make them 100% ritual casters (even for their cantrips). Should I be changing anything else?

8. - Top - End - #8

Not sure I understand the question. Would you please elaborate?

I've set them up so they have a lot of spell slots (maybe too many) but are limited to a specific subset of spells and may not use those spell slots to cast any other spells. I've also added language to make them 100% ritual casters (even for their cantrips). Should I be changing anything else?
    If they're 100% ritual casters, they have no need of spell slots; ritual spells take place outside of spell slots.

My thought was to give them a few spells that are not usually rituals that can be cast as them. Not sure what to suggest; I'm AFB right now.
    The Cranky Gamer

9. - Top - End - #9

Goblin

If they're 100% ritual casters, they have no need of spell slots; ritual spells take place outside of spell slots.

My thought was to give them a few spells that are not usually rituals that can be cast as them. Not sure what to suggest; I'm AFB right now.
    Ah! The light slowly dawns for me. Thank you for that. Yeah, that makes sense. I see how I screwed up with the spell slots. Not the way to accomplish what I was trying to accomplish. I'll look at that again.

I'm thinking of getting rid of the spell slots altogether and changing some of the wording to accommodate this. Enhanced Mending instead of upcasting the regular Mending cantrip? Librarians get spells as class features at the various levels and can cast as many as they want because they're all non-combat rituals? That will probably work better and be less complicated. If anyone uses this stuff and lets a PC multi-class into librarian then they can figure it out for themselves. :)

I'm open to suggestions on other spells they might use.

All changes made. I'm happy with this.
    Last edited by jjordan; 2020-10-16 at 12:52 PM.