New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Quick knight (Fighter subclass)

Quick Knight
    Quick Knights are knights blessed with unparalleled speed on the battlefield. They weave in and out of the frey with ease attacking just as easily.

Rush
    Starting at the 3rd level, you gain access to unparalleled speed. Your walking speed increases by (5 feet) x half your level (rounded up). You also may take the disengage and dash actions as a bonus action and you may add your proficiency bonus to your initiative. This ability only applies if you are not wearing medium or heavy armor.

Epic dodge
    You may have your unarmored ac be equal to your proficiency bonus plus your dexterity modifier while unarmored, you may add a shield to this.

Evasion
    Starting at the 7th level, you gain the ability to dodge things that most people deem imposible. When you are subjected to make a dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail.

Ridiculous speed
    Starting at the 10th level, you gain the ability to move along vertical surfaces and across liquids on your turn without falling during the move.

Blurry movement
    Starting at the 15th level, when you take the dash action on your turn you gain the effect of the blur spell until the start of your next turn. Because of the nature of this ability creatures that don’t rely on sight and creatures that can see through illusions are not immune to this ability.

Ludicrous speed
    Starting at the 18th level, when you use action surge you may gain an additional bonus action as well as an additional action.
    Last edited by mcumoric; 2020-10-09 at 08:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Quick knight (Fighter subclass)

Rush is really, really good. A speed boost, the ability to Dash/Disengage as a bonus action, and a large boost to initiative? That's excessive. You're better at being speedy than the Monk or Rogue, and that's not good.

Epic Dodge is hilariously bad, since as written it doesn't add 10 to that number. In other words, your "epic dodge" would give you an AC of 5 when you get it. That being said, using 10 + Proficiency + Dex (with the possibility of using a shield) is a little bit too high - you'll have better AC than someone in plate armor by 9th level. In combination with Rush, those two features are way too much to get at 3rd level.

Blurry Movement is interesting, and it makes me wish that this subclass was more heavily around boosting the Dash/Disengage actions. I think you could bring it down to 10th level without too many issues? I'd simplify it and just say that "Whenever you take the Dash action, other creatures have disadvantage on their attack rolls against you until the beginning of your next turn", and just skip referencing Blur entirely.

Ludicrous Speed... I'm actually not sure about how to evaluate this one, honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

The fighter, with its generic nature, really really really needs it subclasses to carry water story-wise.

This subclass is all "how I fight", not "why I fight". Good fighter subclasses cover "why I fight", and from that why carry non-combat utility.

Lacking anything besides "I fight fast", your subclass is shallow, which shows in that it is a collection of combat-focused abilities. The only one that is at all non-combat is the level 10 one, but even then it is turn-focused.

Having a "I want to make a fighter that is all about speed" is great, but attach it to something with some heft instead of making that be the end-all be-all.

---

Mechanics/wording:
    Epic dodge - an AC of 8 isn't very good. I think you mean 10 plus your proficiency bonus plus your dexterity bonus.

Blurry movement - the exception clause needs wordsmithing. Too much negating of joined clauses and terms.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Lemme take a crack at this... First things first: Ditch the "Knight" concept.

Knights run around in heavy armor, or ride on horseback with heavy armor. Throwing "Quick" into the title doesn't make it any less "Knight"

You're aiming for a fighter wearing light or no armor from 3rd level onward. That's Padded, Leather, and Studded Leather. Max AC Bonus of 2+Dex. You wanna be in a knightly period? Sounds fine! Outside of Knights and Men At Arms (who often wore just as much armor as a knight) most fighters on the battlefield (Conscripts, for the most part) wore the Gambeson. A thick padded jacket (and the basis of D&D's idea of Padded Armor) of French design (With Gambeson coming from Gambaison or 'quilted jerkin')

Simple word-association from Gambeson and we get Gambler (And a man who would wear naught but a Gambeson into a dungeon of D&D's style would certainly be gambling!) but that has a certain ideation of someone who plays with dice-rolls or card-draws... so let's go with Gambit (Tripping Up in old Italian)

So now we've got our Gambit. Someone who runs around with minimal or no armor but isn't a Dervish or a Monk or a Woad warrior... Honestly, you could probably slap an open bloused shirt on the concept and head to bollywood for different concepts and naming conventions, but you wanted to play with Knights and Medieval Europe so here we are.

So. Let's move on to the subclass's abilities.

Rush: You want your Gambit character to run really fast. I get it. I like it. But you can't give them fast movement better than a monk -and- a Rogue's Cunning Action -and- the Ambush Ranger's increased initiative in the same fell swoop. That's just too damn much! So let's narrow it down... What do we -really- need out of this level?

Huge speed increase is good. It lets the fighter get from point A to point B quicker. But doesn't Dash as a Bonus Action do the same thing? Personally, I think the Dash+Disengage is better. It creates more of an incentive not to dual-wield with this character class, like a Dervish might, since the bonus action economy is there as an inherent limiter. Also helps avoid Tabaxi Super-Speed. >.>

So let's try...

Rush: As an initiate in the Violet Syndicate you've been trained in avoiding attacks and offering swift reprisals. You may Dash or Disengage as a Bonus Action.

Violet Syndicate was just the first thing that jumped into my head. The idea of an "Order of Gambits" seemed a bit weird, especially since we're giving these characters a Rogue Class Ability off the bat. But a Syndicate? Sounds perfect to me. Color optional.

Epic Dodge: AC becomes 10+Prof+Dex and you get to use a shield if you're wearing no armor.

Hmmm... so... Assuming you get an 18 Dex at level 1, you've got a 16 AC plus a shield at level 3. At 4, you can pop 2 points into Dex and get your proficiency increase to have an 18+Shield. That is -very- strong. That's plate armor -and- a shield at level 4. Even Dex+Wis monks or Dex+Con Barbarians don't get it -that- good... But hey. As long as we're stealing from Rogues... Let's go for:

Epic Dodge: Eschewing heavy armor, the Violet Syndicate has trained you to use a shield as your primary method of defense through dazzling feats of skill. While not wearing any armor and while wearing a shield your AC becomes 10+Dex+Cha.

Still not sold on the name "Epic Dodge" doesn't really 'do' anything for me. Neither does Rush, really. How about...

Arrow's Step: As an initiate in the Violet Syndicate you've been trained in avoiding attacks and offering swift reprisals. You may Dash or Disengage as a Bonus Action.
    And
    Qullion's Ward: AC becomes 10+Prof+Dex and you get to use a shield if you're wearing no armor.

Could write about how the Violet Syndicate trains the fighters to move swiftly by shooting at their feet with bows while they spar, to explain the Arrow's Step. And a Quillion is the crossguard or handguard of a sword or other weapon, implying that part of your defense is using your weapon. Could be nicer?

Evasion's fine. It's not crazy great or anything, but it is a very effective and nice option to have, especially for a front-line character.

Ridiculous Speed: This... this one seems very out of place and weird. You want a knight that can Wu-Xia his way around the battlefield, move like a monk and a rogue, fight like a barbarian, and generally just... doesn't fit into any cultural identity. Also the name... at least Ludicrous Speed has a nerd-reference in the title. Let's try:

Burst of Action: Through the muscle memory of your tireless training in the Syndicate you can push the limits of what your body is capable of in swift succession. When you use your Action Surge ability you may take an additional Bonus Action on your turn. Additionally you gain Advantage to Dexterity Saving Throws and a +2 bonus to armor class. These additional benefits last until the end of your next turn. These additional benefits last until the end of your next turn. (Kinda mimicing the effects of the Haste spell, here, but since Haste already gives you an extra action just like Action Surge, I changed it up with a bonus)

BAM! Inherently limited by your number of available action surges, which recover on a short rest, and it improves on an ability you should already be using, making your Action Surges particularly violent! You gain Advantage to Dex Saves, +2 AC, and a bonus action for dashing and disengaging, making this a very useful and defensive bonus that allows you to dash around the battlefield quickly and safely!

Works great for a shield-based fighter who doesn't have many options for using their bonus actions offensively.

Blurry Movement: Not a fan of the name... but the actual benefit is pretty great as-is. How about we call it "Violet Streak" or something similar? Could make having a Purple Scarf a "Badge of Honor" in the Violet Syndicate and the name "Violet Streak" refers to the blurry streak of purple scarf flapping in your wake!

Ludicrous Speed: Felt kinda weak, really. So I moved it down to be part of 10's Burst of Action. We need something there...

How about...

Running the Gauntlet: You've been inducted to the inner mysteries of the Violet Syndicate and achieved the height of the Gambit's Art. When you take the Dash action as a bonus action on your turn, choose a number of targets equal to your Dexterity Modifier. Any attacks of opportunity those targets make against you before the start of your next turn automatically fail, wasting their reaction.

Dash and SUPER DISENGAGE in the same bonus action! Could be great, right?

So. Let's put it all together with some fluff!

Gambit of the Violet Syndicate
    You have trained extensively with the Violet Syndicate, an order of mercenaries, rogues, and men at arms who eschew armor in favor of displays of great skill and bravery on the battlefield. Renowned for their skills and style, Gambits typically enter battles with little more than fancy clothing, a shield, and a longsword, practically daring their foes to strike. But their speed, grace, and deadly skill often prove too much. They're particularly well-loved for their talents in the Arenas and Fighting pits along the coast.

Arrow's Step: As an initiate in the Violet Syndicate you've been trained in avoiding attacks and offering swift reprisals. You may Dash or Disengage as a Bonus Action.

Qullion's Ward: At third level your training with one and two handed weapons defensively allows you to fight armored foes with speed and grace rather than metal plates. While wearing no armor your armor class becomes 10+Dex+Cha. You may use a shield and still gain the benefit of this ability.

Evasion: Starting at 7th level your training with the Syndicate allows you to avoid great harm with great ease. Whenever you succeed on a Dexterity Saving Throw to take half damage from a spell or effect you instead take no damage.

Burst of Action: Through the muscle memory of your tireless training in the Syndicate you can push the limits of what your body is capable of in swift succession at 10th level. When you use your Action Surge ability you may take an additional Bonus Action on your turn. Additionally you gain Advantage to Dexterity Saving Throws and a +2 bonus to armor class. These additional benefits last until the end of your next turn.

Violet Streak: Beginning at 15th level your skills in avoiding attacks mid-stride have become almost magical. Whenever you take the Dash Action you gain the benefits of the Blur spell until the end of your turn.

Running the Gauntlet: At 18th level you've been inducted to the inner mysteries of the Violet Syndicate and achieved the height of the Gambit's Art. When you take the Dash action on your turn, choose a number of targets equal to your Dexterity Modifier. Any attacks of opportunity those targets make against you before the start of your next turn automatically fail, wasting their reaction.
    Last edited by Steampunkette; 2020-10-13 at 11:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Not everyone has the resources or the ability to become a wizard or a sorcerer, after all. Warlocking just requires a pact, very democratic, really. Doesn't require wealth or a magical lineage, just a promise, and all of your problems will go away.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Steampunkette, your "Running the Gauntlet" is pretty redundant (they have had bonus action disengage since level 3, they are imposing disadvantage on attacks until the end of the turn when they dash, etc) and more than a bit fiddly. Heck, when they action surge, they can already dash+disengage way back at level 10.

It is also a level 18 capstone, and a bit passive for that.

---

How about a 1/short rest bonus action self-cast of Haste, complete with concentration requirement, at some point?
    Last edited by Yakk; 2020-10-14 at 08:12 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Forgive me. My brain was still in 3.5 mode after a game. Forgot that disengaging made it so you could avoid ALL opportunity attacks rather than the opportunity attacks of the person that you disengaged from!

So... Yeah. I still think having Dash trigger Disengage is a nice component, since it means you won't have to burn an Action Surge to do a Disengaging-Dash -every- turn (And frees your extra bonus action up for other options when you do action surge)

Haste is the basis of Burst of Action. All the benefits of Haste when you Action Surge with none of the downsides.

So we do need something... more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Not everyone has the resources or the ability to become a wizard or a sorcerer, after all. Warlocking just requires a pact, very democratic, really. Doesn't require wealth or a magical lineage, just a promise, and all of your problems will go away.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I feel the gambit needs an initiative boost somewhere. Maybe a small one at 3 in addition to Dash Or Disengage as a bonus action, then a large one at 18 in addition to Dash And Disengage?