Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

I'm in a weird space where, like most trans people, shapeshifting would fix a lot of things...telekinesis or pyrokinesis would be too useful to pass up.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Metroid Prime (Mon/Wed) and Ace Attorney (Fri)

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    I'm in a weird space where, like most trans people, shapeshifting would fix a lot of things...telekinesis or pyrokinesis would be too useful to pass up.
    Yes. I can think of countless applications for being able to set things on fire with your mind...

Unrelated, I was kind of a pyromaniac when I was younger. Still am a little, ain't nothing quite as soothing as looking at a roaring bonfire.

Of course, I also think that the theme from the Halloween series is relaxing, so I might just be weird.

Shapeshifting through--the mystique style "shapeshift into any human forms, even someone else's, change apparent age, apparent race and ethnicity, biological sex, even grow extra arms or turn into a giant if you want with no sensation of dysphoria or dysmorphia" that's a power I've always liked.

That's on my "if I ever get mary sue DI style 'reincarnated in another world' fanfic but in real life" wish-list.

(Trivia: While the movies depicted Mystique as being the same age as Xavier, in the comics she's older than Wolverine. A side effect of her metamorphic cellular structure is that her cells are constantly rejuvenating themselves so she just stopped aging sometime in her early 30s. She also might have been Sherlock Holmes, considering that her long term on and off again lover Irene "Destiny" Adler claims to be the Irene Adler and Mystique was working as a consulting detective when they first met.)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #873
    Titan in the Playground

Mystique style shapeshifting would be great, but I'g spend hours making sure I looked just right after every transition. And try to get away with a movie-Mystique style outfit.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; Yesterday at 04:44 PM.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Mystique style shapeshifting would be great, but I'g spend hours making sure I looked just right after every transition.
    If it's specifically Mystique's powers, she has secondary abilities that make sure every shift is perfect.

Including passive ESP with a massive range that takes in even microscopic details of people.

You could get a vague look at them from twenty yards away and imitating their appearance so well that you even have their fingerprints. You could be standing there naked next to them naked and there'd be no physical difference, even if you never saw them in such a state of undress.

The only major limitation is that you need to hear them say five or more distinct words in a natural conversation to fully imitate their voice, dialect, accent, and other markers of speech.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    If it's specifically Mystique's powers, she has secondary abilities that make sure every shift is perfect.

Including passive ESP with a massive range that takes in even microscopic details of people.

You could get a vague look at them from twenty yards away and imitating their appearance so well that you even have their fingerprints. You could be standing there naked next to them naked and there'd be no physical difference, even if you never saw them in such a state of undress.
    That's a rather disturbing power and raises some questions of ethics. Not that I still wouldn't want it, human-specific shapeshifting has been a desire for years and this is just a better version.

Wold still want the movie scales to be possible though.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

6. - Top - End - #876
    Titan in the Playground

That's a rather disturbing power and raises some questions of ethics. Not that I still wouldn't want it, human-specific shapeshifting has been a desire for years and this is just a better version.

Wold still want the movie scales to be possible though.
    She had the movie scales for a while after getting radiation poisoning.

Little known fact: While mutants don't get powers from radiation, there powers can activate or evolve if they suffer radiation poisoning as part of the process of fighting it of. In this case, she secondary mutated to be able to use her shapeshifting to physically adapt to her environment.
    Examples of this new ability included: night vision, wings on her back, talons in her fingers, sharp-fanged teeth, natural body armor, mermaid-like tail, and she could even compress into a nearly two-dimensional state to glide on air currents (similar to Mr. Fantastic), which she used to survive an explosion.
    Eventually, she went back to her original base appearance but compared to generating an entire second torso complete with splitting your consciousness between two heads, scales are nothing.

She had another secondary mutation after coming back to life, where she could disguise her self to fool superhuman senses--a normal person would never be able to tell, but someone like Wolverine or Daredevil would be able to smell mystique's unique body odor under the simulated scent of whoever she was imitating at the time--as well as be able to generate tentacles and liquify herself.

She's also been able to pass her flesh and blood off as steel and has explicitly stated on more than one occasion that she usually just walks around naked but alters her biomass to give the appearance and feeling of clothing.

The scary thing is that she's only #5 on the list of most powerful shapeshifters.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

and has explicitly stated on more than one occasion that she usually just walks around naked but alters her biomass to give the appearance and feeling of clothing.
    What's the point of being naked if nobody can tell you are?

EDIT: not that I'm saying people should walk around naked, but if you live in the UK you'd agree that if you're going to morph the appearance of clothing you might as well get the additional warmth and anti-rain stuff that comes with it.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; Yesterday at 05:52 PM.

Show

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

What's the point of being naked if nobody can tell you are?

EDIT: not that I'm saying people should walk around naked, but if you live in the UK you'd agree that if you're going to morph the appearance of clothing you might as well get the additional warmth and anti-rain stuff that comes with it.
    It's not explicitly one of her superpowers, but she doesn't seem to have problems with temperature.

If I had to hazard a guess, she explicitly has a healing factor and people with healing factors in Marvel tend to also be able to handle extreme heat and extreme cold better than other people as a secondary power. Which makes sense: Being able to regrow your skin after it gets flayed off is pretty useless if you've already died from the sudden decrease in body temperature that comes with not having skin to hold it your body warmth.

And as a mutant, she's better at those things in general by default: Homo superior sounds really pretentious, but even a mutant whos "power" is "none of them" is going to be slightly stronger, slightly tougher, slightly better able to handle temperature, slightly better able to metabolize drugs and toxins, slightly faster, and so on than a baseline human with a similar body type and lifestyle.

With some outliers. Every so often you get mutants where they get a minor power coupled with a deformity or disability becuase something went wrong.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #879
    Firbolg in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm very happy that I'm still in this forum.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

10. - Top - End - #880
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

If I could shapeshift, I'd just like to shapeshift my eyes into ones that work properly...

Which actually raises a question in my mind, would Mystique's powers get worse as she aged? Regular human muscles and so on tend to get less effective as we age, one wonders if the same applies to metahuman abilities. (Ignoring the case of people like Wolverine who have superhuman healing abilities, of course).

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    If I could shapeshift, I'd just like to shapeshift my eyes into ones that work properly...

Which actually raises a question in my mind, would Mystique's powers get worse as she aged? Regular human muscles and so on tend to get less effective as we age, one wonders if the same applies to metahuman abilities. (Ignoring the case of people like Wolverine who have superhuman healing abilities, of course).
    As I've noted already, Mystique doesn't age.

Her power is referred to as having "psionic-metamorphic cells," which is to say, she both consciously and unconsciously uses psychic powers to change not only how her cells are arranged but also their structures.

While she can't say, control individual molecules or rewrite her DNA or anything like that, it's noted that a side effect of this process is that her cells are constantly rejuvenating herself.

Raven Darkholme peaked in her mid-thirties and hasn't aged a day since... And considering that she was probably Sherlock Holmes, which would put her age at least 166 years, that's a lot of days to not age.

(For comparison, Wolverine is 138 at the oldest and seems to have stopped aging in his late thirties or early forties.)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Barbarian in the Playground

As I've noted already, Mystique doesn't age.

Her power is referred to as having "psionic-metamorphic cells," which is to say, she both consciously and unconsciously uses psychic powers to change not only how her cells are arranged but also their structures.

While she can't say, control individual molecules or rewrite her DNA or anything like that, it's noted that a side effect of this process is that her cells are constantly rejuvenating herself.

Raven Darkholme peaked in her mid-thirties and hasn't aged a day since... And considering that she was probably Sherlock Holmes, which would put her age at least 166 years, that's a lot of days to not age.

(For comparison, Wolverine is 138 at the oldest and seems to have stopped aging in his late thirties or early forties.)
    Sounds like the extended lifespan alone makes this shapeshifting power worth having, even if you were to not actually use the shapeshifting itself for anything.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Firbolg in the Playground

That's a rather disturbing power and raises some questions of ethics.
    Yes, it is a superpower. What are you getting at?
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Yes, it is a superpower. What are you getting at?
    That superhero settings are absolute messes. Privacy laws must be a nightmare if they're not willing to move to assuming panopticon (especially if unregistered powers are common).

Show

15. - Top - End - #885
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

That superhero settings are absolute messes. Privacy laws must be a nightmare if they're not willing to move to assuming panopticon (especially if unregistered powers are common).
    Have you seen The Boys?
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

16. - Top - End - #886
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Have you seen The Boys?
    No, I'm not iinto Western comics.

Show

17. - Top - End - #887
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

No, I'm not iinto Western comics.
    Can't say anything for the comic, but the show is great. And based on the pline you tossed out earlier, I suspect you'd like it.

Because yes. Their world is ****ed up.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.