New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    I don't think anyone would say that you shouldn't cook it (except in the facetious, exaggerated way people sometimes talk about these things online) but depending on what changes you make people who like curry might not like it the way you cook it.

For example there are people who make pizza with a mayonnaise-based sauce instead of a tomato-based sauce and while there's nothing wrong with that if that's what they like, I would be surprised and a little disappointed if I was expecting pizza and got that.
    If they are allergic citric fruit, that might be their best option as well. It just goes to show that a general clarification of ingredients is always best practise.

Boy, food discourse is always fun, innit? You can only make champagne in northeast France, a sandwich in a specific town in south east England, and a hamburger is a hamburger if and only if it is a landowning man (and thus has the right to vote).

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    If they are allergic citric fruit, that might be their best option as well. It just goes to show that a general clarification of ingredients is always best practise.

Boy, food discourse is always fun, innit? You can only make champagne in northeast France, a sandwich in a specific town in south east England, and a hamburger is a hamburger if and only if it is a landowning man (and thus has the right to vote).
    Don't forget almost every English cheese: Cheddar, Wendsleydale, Cheshire, Red Leicester, Double Gloucester...

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Don't forget almost every English cheese: Cheddar, Wendsleydale, Cheshire, Red Leicester, Double Gloucester...
    True, but too much cheese kills the humour of a sandwich being able to vote in my opinion.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Colossus in the Playground

While we're on food, why does every single casserole need disgusting, overcooked, bland, soggy green beans from a can shoved in and ruining a bunch of otherwise perfectly good ingredients?

Like, if it's not a green bean casserole don't put green beans in it and if it is a green bean casserole then you either don't make it or splurge on green beans that don't taste like butt.

Am I the jackass for thinking that you don't need to ruin ground beef, cheese, tater tots, and mushroom soup with nasty canned vegetables?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Am I the jackass for thinking that you don't need to ruin ground beef, cheese, tater tots, and mushroom soup with nasty canned vegetables?
    If you're opinionating on something someone else is doing and anyone involved with eating it likes it? Then yes. Yes you are.

If it's something that you've been offered, then it's understandable if it's not to your tastes. There's nothing wrong with not liking something a certain way. Just maybe don't insult the person who put time and effort into it.

Your own cooking? Go buck wild with whatever.
    Last edited by DataNinja; 2020-10-24 at 06:50 PM.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm just going to avoid this thread for a while. Bye.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

7. - Top - End - #277

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    If you're opinionating on something someone else is doing and anyone involved with eating it likes it? Then yes. Yes you are.

If it's something that you've been offered, then it's understandable if it's not to your tastes. There's nothing wrong with not liking something a certain way. Just maybe don't insult the person who put time and effort into it.

Your own cooking? Go buck wild with whatever.
    I have a stepfather who refuses to accept "I don't like this" as a valid reason to not eat something. Or that, as an autist, I physically can't make myself eat something that feels of tastes wrong.

It's his turn to cook and he seems morally opposed to making food that everyone in the house will eat.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

You're as bad as the people convinced that they don't like onions. But you know what, chop them up small enough and they never complain.

To go from mostly silly (I've never actually met anybody who's noticed an onion base* if they aren't visible) to mostly serious, you should east food that you don't like occasionally just to check that your tastes haven't changed. I'll have a walnut somebody serves me once a year out so, and most of my family follows the rule. It helps you to understand your evolving palette and find new dishes that you'll like.

Side note, am I the only one here with a decent palette but an impaired sense of smell? I mostly can't Angel cooking food (I can smell some, but not every, spice and a few other things), but I can separate flavours while eating them and find ways to improve them (which at the moment would be 'buy fresh veggies'). However everybody seems to make such a fuss over the smell of food.

* very different to just eating them on their own, that one I fully get. It only works as a base because it's such a powerful flavour.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #279

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    You're as bad as the people convinced that they don't like onions. But you know what, chop them up small enough and they never complain.

To go from mostly silly (I've never actually met anybody who's noticed an onion base* if they aren't visible) to mostly serious, you should east food that you don't like occasionally just to check that your tastes haven't changed. I'll have a walnut somebody serves me once a year out so, and most of my family follows the rule. It helps you to understand your evolving palette and find new dishes that you'll like.

Side note, am I the only one here with a decent palette but an impaired sense of smell? I mostly can't Angel cooking food (I can smell some, but not every, spice and a few other things), but I can separate flavours while eating them and find ways to improve them (which at the moment would be 'buy fresh veggies'). However everybody seems to make such a fuss over the smell of food.

* very different to just eating them on their own, that one I fully get. It only works as a base because it's such a powerful flavour.
    I definitely always notice, and never like em. Also I don't think you should be secretly giving food to people who say they don't like that sort of food. It's one thing to willingly try it out (which I do do on occasion myself) but don't eeever sneak food into someone like that. Someone's "I don't like that" might be short hand for "I'm allergic or have medical issues with it, and explaining it would be too much effort because I trust you not to give it to me if I say so".

10. - Top - End - #280
    Troll in the Playground

I have a stepfather who refuses to accept "I don't like this" as a valid reason to not eat something. Or that, as an autist, I physically can't make myself eat something that feels of tastes wrong.

It's his turn to cook and he seems morally opposed to making food that everyone in the house will eat.
    Yeah, I've had family like that. It sucks, especially while you're still living under their roof. Especially when it's also completely arbitrary. "How much do you want?" "Oh, sorry, that particular food doesn't agree with me, I'll just throw something together to replace it." "Too late, it's on your plate now, and you have to eat it."

Those types of people who're making you eat something that you don't like, that's a problem. It's when they're not doing that that it shouldn't really be something you concern yourself with.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

11. - Top - End - #281

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Yeah, I've had family like that. It sucks, especially while you're still living under their roof. Especially when it's also completely arbitrary. "How much do you want?" "Oh, sorry, that particular food doesn't agree with me, I'll just throw something together to replace it." "Too late, it's on your plate now, and you have to eat it."

Those types of people who're making you eat something that you don't like, that's a problem. It's when they're not doing that that it shouldn't really be something you concern yourself with.
    It's not that bad, it's just... "Can you make it without that?" "No." "Can you make a small separate one that doesn't have this one ingredient so I don't have to make something else? I mean, we're on a limited food budget we really can't afford to go through that much food." "No."

Especially in a dish like this: Something made of ground beef, cheese, cream and mushroom soup, and tater tots really doesn't need green beans. It already covers every flavor profile and contains meat, dairy, starch, and non-meat proteins.

The worst part is, of the four people in the house, only my stepfather and my mother will actually eat what he made. And he made it knowing that I wasn't gonna eat any and my brother wouldn't eat any so why? This always happens, he makes something that only he, or only he and one other person, will eat, everyone else has to scavenge for themselves, only half of it gets eaten, then it sits in the fridge for a month before being thrown out. It wouldn't be bad if it was something that everyone but me will eat, I'm used to having to cook my own food on porcksteak knight or whatever, but...

This is the man who sat there and watched me try and fail to swallow sushi for a whole minute. It was good sushi. Tasted great. Physically could not make myself swallow it. He knows that it's not just me being picky, that if I say I can't eat something I can't eat something.

The only time I've ever had a "it's on your plate you have to eat it" was in elementary school. Once they gave me a hamburger without me asking for a hamburger and the cafeteria aid kept saying "why did you ask for it if you're not gonna eat it" and wouldn't listen when I said I didn't ask for it(that wasn't a flavor thing, that was a "I got burned to try to eat a burger and they were PTSD triggers for a few years" thing), and once when a teacher wouldn't let me throw out a "salad" that consisted of two pieces of lettuce becuase the mayonnaise was mislabeled as reach dressing and I didn't notice until it was too late.

@: Anonymouswizard: Following that advice has either gotten me sick or gotten me yelled at for spitting out food that was causing me to gag.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I definitely always notice, and never like em. Also I don't think you should be secretly giving food to people who say they don't like that sort of food. It's one thing to willingly try it out (which I do do on occasion myself) but don't eeever sneak food into someone like that. Someone's "I don't like that" might be short hand for "I'm allergic or have medical issues with it, and explaining it would be too much effort because I trust you not to give it to me if I say so".
    How on earth can you eat anything? I had to struggle to come up with a dish that doesn't have onions in, only coming up with meat and two vedge. Onions feature in almost every recipe I have access to, either as standard bulbs, spring onions, or shallots. They're basically the basis of cooking.

Plus, well, how hard is out to say 'I have an allergy to tubers' or 'I'm lactose intolerant'? Like, I deal with people who have IBS all the time.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

13. - Top - End - #283

How on earth can you eat anything? I had to struggle to come up with a dish that doesn't have onions in, only coming up with meat and two vedge. Onions feature in almost every recipe I have access to, either as standard bulbs, spring onions, or shallots. They're basically the basis of cooking.

Plus, well, how hard is out to say 'I have an allergy to tubers' or 'I'm lactose intolerant'? Like, I deal with people who have IBS all the time.
    A great number of people seem to think that Allegories don't exist and anyone who claims to be allergic to something is either just being picky or is actively trying to spite the person who made the thing that the allergy is claimed against.

Oddly enough, these people will insist that you just eat the damn thing "it's good for you" if you claim you're allergic but will let it slide if you say you don't like it or that it "doesn't agree with you."

Of course, there are also people who won't take "I don't like this" as an answer and think you're being childish or picky so you can't win.

...There's a reason why not having to eat anymore is part of most of my power fantasies.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Green beans are only good for me when seasoned properly, and with a certain sort of crispiness/crunchiness to them.

Canned green beans I will not eat.

No judgment on anyone who does like them. Hell, I wish I liked more green veggies. Would be healthier for me.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I'm a picky eater, and uh all this food talk is foreign to me. I've also had to deal with my family try to force food on me throughout my life and its real annoying when they try to repeat it with foods I've already told I don't like.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

16. - Top - End - #286

I'm experimenting with adding cayenne pepper to my homemade barbecue sauce.

I don't know how much is too much, but I know how much is not enough.

The sauce doesn't really have a set recipe. The core of it is Heinz ketchup, American style mild yellow mustard, and either brown sugar or maple-flavored syrup, or a mixture of both, with the ketchup and the sugar/syrup making up the base. when I learned it from my grandma, it also included liquid smoke, but over the years I've been substituting either Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, or a mixture of both for the liquid smoke.

I've also added small measures of table salt, black pepper, sometimes white pepper, garlic powder, sometimes onion powder, and sometimes honey. Sometimes a dash of paprika but that's more for color than anything else.

And now cayenne, which I'm told that a little bit off goes good with anything, but also that a little bit goes a long way.

I don't really have any defined measurements for it, I just eyeball it. Poor it into a normal-sized bowl, the right amount should go up to about halfway, mix it till it's all integrated(though you might still have grains of brown sugar) and you get a reddish-brown viscous liquid, then pop it in the microwave for thirty seconds, and stir again. Should make enough for two-four servings, depending on what you're making and your saucing habits.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2020-10-25 at 09:49 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #287

There are many things that don't have onions in them! Pierogies, hamburgers, pizza, dumplings, various potato dishes, and so on.

@Rater: That sounds like some good BBQ sauce actually. Once I'm feeling confident enough to cook again I might try some of that. Make some burgers, slather them with BBQ sauce, then pan fry them up.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-10-25 at 09:32 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288

One thing I've been told that cayenne is really good with is chocolate: Apparently, capsaicin reacts chemically to the yummy bits of the cocoa in ways that are particularly favorable to the pallet.

I wanna do this recipe for homemade hot cocoa mix sometime.

(The show proper revisited this recipe. You can toast the powdered milk in the oven which, apparently, adds a nutty undertone to it and gives it a more complex flavor)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

One thing I've been told that cayenne is really good with is chocolate: Apparently, capsaicin reacts chemically to the yummy bits of the cocoa in ways that are particularly favorable to the pallet.

I wanna do this recipe for homemade hot cocoa mix sometime.

(The show proper revisited this recipe. You can toast the powdered milk in the oven which, apparently, adds a nutty undertone to it and gives it a more complex flavor)
    That recipe says to fill a mug halfway with the mix, which is itself almost half powdered milk by volume, and then add hot water. That seems... excessive? My go-to for hot cocoa is a mug of hot milk with a spoonful of cocoa, and that's already enough cocoa that not all of it dissolves in the milk. The milk itself has enough sweetness to not need sugar.

The spicing does seem like a good idea though.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2020-10-26 at 07:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #290

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    That recipe says to fill a mug halfway with the mix, which is itself almost half powdered milk by volume, and then add hot water. That seems... excessive? My go-to for hot cocoa is a mug of hot milk with a spoonful of cocoa, and that's already enough cocoa that not all of it dissolves in the milk. The milk itself has enough sweetness to not need sugar.

The spicing does seem like a good idea though.
    That's a transcription error. In the episode, it has the cups filled only a third of the way.

I recommend watching the clip, because the written recipe also leaves out what kind of salt to use and the instructions for stirring it so that it doesn't form lumps.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

That's a transcription error. In the episode, it has the cups filled only a third of the way.

I recommend watching the clip, because the written recipe also leaves out what kind of salt to use and the instructions for stirring it so that it doesn't form lumps.
    That's still a *lot* of mix.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #292

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    That's still a *lot* of mix.
    It's about as much as would be in a pack of storebought hot cocoa mix. Maybe if you're using milk you'd use less, but this recipe uses water to hydrate the mix and that means you need a lot of mix: Otherwise you're not drinking hot cocoa, you're drinking cholate flavored water.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

Aaaaand we're back into lockdown, starting Friday. Huzzah.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Aaaaand we're back into lockdown, starting Friday. Huzzah.
    Wanna play Star Wars Squadrons?

Offer rescinded if you are any better than "absolutely abysmal", since I want level playing field
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Wanna play Star Wars Squadrons?

Offer rescinded if you are any better than "absolutely abysmal", since I want level playing field
    I don't have that game, sorry. Not into multiplayer anyway.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #296

I don't have that game, sorry. Not into multiplayer anyway.
    Neither am I, typically, but I know that lockdown feeling so I wanted to toss it out there.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Neither am I, typically, but I know that lockdown feeling so I wanted to toss it out there.
    Well, if your offer of hosting a D&D game for neophytes still holds up...
    Forum Wisdom

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

God I could do with a game, but my shift pattern is likely going to change again in a few weeks.

Plus my first choice of character is 'gnome artificer'. followed by 'dwarf artificer' and 'human artificer'. And I'd probably be terrible at using my buffing abiilities correcty (fourth character concept is the more generic human Cleric [probably built around light-based spells] and human wizard).

Show

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So my entire D&D group got exposed. I missed the last session so I didn't. Feels weird to think "well my oldest friend (from kindergarten) has the plague but at least I didn't get it" in a modern century.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

30. - Top - End - #300

If you can somehow grant me more time (or enough money that I could effectively buy more time), then I could totally pull the trigger right now.

I do hope to do it one day, though.