New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Still unclear; could be either, both, or neither.
    Yes.

The original question was a joke.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-11-04 at 06:36 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Yes.

The original question was a joke.
    I'm aware, just pointing how that literally every answer was still in the table.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

I'm aware, just pointing how that literally every answer was still in the table.
    Which really helps with the cooking!
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-11-04 at 06:55 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #394

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Which really helps with the cooking!
    The trick is to undercook the onions. Everybody is going to get to know each other in the pot.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

Two good things:

1. I'm super happy with how my voice sounds.

2. After a year of streaming on twitch, someone finally clipped one of my jokes.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    Two good things:

1. I'm super happy with how my voice sounds.

2. After a year of streaming on twitch, someone finally clipped one of my jokes.
    Your voice is indeed great. I'm just barely at the point where I sometimes like mine, but I can't hold it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

That fact was the continuation of said joke.

Though, technically, "neither" was no longer an option.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

8. - Top - End - #398

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    Though, technically, "neither" was no longer an option.
    Sure it was; as Fyraltari pointed out, infection. "Toxins" is such a wonderfully vague word.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-11-04 at 09:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure it was; as Fyraltari pointed out, infection. "Toxins" is such a wonderfully vague word.
    Infections either count as venom, or they result in toxins but aren't themselves toxins (thus meaning the toxins were "from infection" and not "from biting yourself")
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    While contemplating whether an infected bite should be counted as venom, I learned that the tale I have often heard (and even taught to schoolchildren on occasion) that Komodo Dragons kill by weaponizing the pathogen cultures in their saliva is false, as research as discovered that they actually kill their prey with venom secreted from venom glands.

That combined with the domestication comment earlier now has me contemplating whether Megalania could have become a viable beast of burden if it hadn't gone extinct.
    I recently learned that too and it kinda ****ed me up because Steve Irwin is who taught me that and it's a really big shock to hear science has progressed enough to invalidate that!

But on the other hand, it means that the komodo dragon has a flame, and that rules.

11. - Top - End - #401

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I recently learned that too and it kinda ****ed me up because Steve Irwin is who taught me that and it's a really big shock to hear science has progressed enough to invalidate that!

But on the other hand, it means that the komodo dragon has a flame, and that rules.
    And it's amphibious so it's got the eastern association between dragons and water going too.

I've heard it's a common theory that "dragons" as a concept are a result of humanity having developed an instinctive fear/respect of certain types of animals--birds of prey, large snakes, big cats, crocodiles and other large predatory reptiles, and so on and subconsciously conflated them.

I think there's some validity to the argument: Dragons or something that is physically for thematically very similar to a dragon tend to appear as a monster, mythological anima, or deity, either malevolent or benevolent, in a large number of cultures, many of which did not have contact with each other, suggesting something common in an early man before mass migration separate us into separate groups.

And, looking at dragons, they do have traits that can be assigned to one or more of their creatures.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #402

Another fun explanation for dragons is dinosaur bones. Which is COMPLETELY reasonable, since weird bones, living or not, have led to all sorts of mythological creatures. Cyclops is an elephant skull. Triceratop skulls are Gryphens. Giraffe's are the Questing Beast itself. It doesn't strike me as odd that someone saw some dinosaur bones and was like "ah, monstrous dragon creature". Especially with the lizard brain in our skull going "ah big bird scary".

13. - Top - End - #403

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Another fun explanation for dragons is dinosaur bones. Which is COMPLETELY reasonable, since weird bones, living or not, have led to all sorts of mythological creatures. Cyclops is an elephant skull. Triceratop skulls are Gryphens. Giraffe's are the Questing Beast itself. It doesn't strike me as odd that someone saw some dinosaur bones and was like "ah, monstrous dragon creature". Especially with the lizard brain in our skull going "ah big bird scary".
    That too.

Honestly it's probably a combination of factors.

"Ah, big scary thing."

"Must be a scary monster..."

"These are the scariest things I can think of, and this seems even scarier. It must be all of them at once..."

Though in the cases of cultures where the dragon is a figure of reverence rather than fear the logic might be more animals that are presented as cool or important than animals meant to be scary.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

My favourite explanation for the ubiquity of dragon myths is the inherent contradiction of a flying snake.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

My favourite explanation for the ubiquity of dragon myths is the inherent contradiction of a flying snake.
    And yet...
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

16. - Top - End - #406

BlackDragon

I remember reading a science fiction short story where they created a dragon just by giving a crocodile a stronger heart (the story claimed crocodiles have relatively weak hearts, no idea if that's accurate). Never quite made sense to me, that--for a start, we're supposed to assume that dragons died out because they all got weak hearts for no readily explicable reason? And that fixing that will immediately cause them to gain thousands of pounds in weight and grow wings?

17. - Top - End - #407

Yeah.

To get a dragon you need to start human and then ritualistically hunt down, kill, and eat raw the entirety of 1: A snake whose venom can kill a human, 2 A snake big enough to crush a human(not suffocate, crush,) a tiger, a large hawk or eagle, a large bat, a giant carp or catfish, a wild bull or boar, a horse, a deer, a tortoise, a clam, a frog, a rabbit, and a demon.

The demon's the hard part. Nobody knows where to find those, that's why no one has ever become a dragon.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Your voice is indeed great. I'm just barely at the point where I sometimes like mine, but I can't hold it.
    I'm having trouble holding mine, too. I've found streaming (and trying to voice every character no matter what voice I do for them)'s really helped, though.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

I always thought it was more people reading too much into things: you see a big reptilian creature and you label it a dragon, even if they're completely different.

I mean, yes there's flying snakes everywhere probably because of the apparent illogical nature, but I'm not sure lumping them under 'dragon' is accurate. I don't consider lung/ryu/the other members of that family to be dragons, they're a different kind of mythological creature that just happens to also be based on a snake, same goes for other kinds of mythological big snakes.

We then also have to get into the 'snake versus legless lizard' problem, in that while there is a difference most people don't know what it is, and that's before getting into the entire legged snake thing. Calling both drakes and lung dragons is misleading, because they're from very different myths, but most people don't know the differences beyond 'drakes are lizardy, lung are more serpentine with fur and antlers'. The same goes for feathered serpents, we're throwing completely different myths together under one heading due to superficial similarities.

Let's be honest, the Western dragon hasn't actually looked like a snake for a long time. Sure it originally did, but it morphed into a winged lizard like a millennia ago, it becoming more serpentine again seems to be relatively recent (and possibly due to mixing with nondragons such as the lung).
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I always thought it was more people reading too much into things: you see a big reptilian creature and you label it a dragon, even if they're completely different.

I mean, yes there's flying snakes everywhere probably because of the apparent illogical nature, but I'm not sure lumping them under 'dragon' is accurate. I don't consider lung/ryu/the other members of that family to be dragons, they're a different kind of mythological creature that just happens to also be based on a snake, same goes for other kinds of mythological big snakes.

We then also have to get into the 'snake versus legless lizard' problem, in that while there is a difference most people don't know what it is, and that's before getting into the entire legged snake thing. Calling both drakes and lung dragons is misleading, because they're from very different myths, but most people don't know the differences beyond 'drakes are lizardy, lung are more serpentine with fur and antlers'. The same goes for feathered serpents, we're throwing completely different myths together under one heading due to superficial similarities.

Let's be honest, the Western dragon hasn't actually looked like a snake for a long time. Sure it originally did, but it morphed into a winged lizard like a millennia ago, it becoming more serpentine again seems to be relatively recent (and possibly due to mixing with nondragons such as the lung).
    I believe the basic development goes:
    Snake (or wyrm) represents the Earth.
    Bird represents the sky.
    Snake+bird represents forces of nature.

Our dragons are different now, but they started out the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

21. - Top - End - #411
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Yeah.

To get a dragon you need to start human and then ritualistically hunt down, kill, and eat raw the entirety of 1: A snake whose venom can kill a human, 2 A snake big enough to crush a human(not suffocate, crush,) a tiger, a large hawk or eagle, a large bat, a giant carp or catfish, a wild bull or boar, a horse, a deer, a tortoise, a clam, a frog, a rabbit, and a demon.

The demon's the hard part. Nobody knows where to find those, that's why no one has ever become a dragon.
    Eat a large bat you say?
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

22. - Top - End - #412

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Lizard View Post
    Eat a large bat you say?
    Yes. Sorry.

It slipped my mind.

I was arguing from the position of "dragons as Chimera" and stating that you need to eat anything that has been stated to be or could be inferred to be one of the component creatures of a dragon.

I forgot about the "started in bats and the mutant strain jumped to humans becuase someone ate a bat" theory for the Covid. Is that still the dominant theory? The truth is I haven't been reading much of the news on it other than stuff regarding vaccine development becuase I don't know which sources to trust. Apprently some sources are presenting people who died of unrelated issues as Covid deaths becuase the person had to be infected but other sources are arbitrarily excluding any death that can remotely be argued to be in part caused by something else and it' just too much hassle to try to get exact details or figure out which theory on the origin is accurate.

Speaking of the Plague, my cousin seems to be doing better and has been infected for at least a week, so he should be over the "contagious" period soon and my aunt has tested negative, so... Things are looking up.

Just in case, I'm hoping my family can be talked out of doing a big Thanksgiving this year.

On the other hand, none of my cousin's caretakers was exposed and tested positive, so... Not all good news.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #413

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    Glad to hear your cousin is doing better, I was just wondering about that.

My own cousin recently tested positive. She has type I diabetes but she's in pretty good overall health and is expected to recover. She's still having a rough time of it.
    Fun fact! My local university is trying to cure type 1 diabetes. They have a world-renowned medical college that focuses on research and effectively maintains a full-on Medical District in the city, so I have high hopes. May take a bit, though.

24. - Top - End - #414

Does it say weird things about me that most of my fantasies are about enhancing myself, slowly metamorphosing into something beyond my current abilities(or beyond human), or becoming the dominant member of a fusion of myself and one or more powerful beings?

The ones that don't are usually "absolute freedom to go anywhere and do anything, even though time and parallel, even fictional, realities for all eternity."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Eh. As far as magical/superpower stuff goes, my list is "flight or levitation", "minor to moderate shapeshifting", and something convoluted that I can roughly summarize as "be in the mirrors".
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #416
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default November 7 2020 sure has been a lovely day.

Today sure has been a nice day. The sun is out in the Bay Area but there's a lovely, refreshing cool breeze. I took a walk downtown and around the lake, everybody seemed to be in an especially good mood. A teenage kid had set up his drum set by the farmers market and there was a big crowd of people dancing.

It was so nice I decided to buy some champagne to help memorialize what a lovely day this has been.
    Last edited by PontificatusRex; 2020-11-07 at 04:57 PM. Reason: typo
    Some people think that Chaotic Neutral is the alignment of the insane, but the enlightened know that Chaotic Neutral is the only alignment without illusions of sanity.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Does it say weird things about me that most of my fantasies are about enhancing myself, slowly metamorphosing into something beyond my current abilities(or beyond human), or becoming the dominant member of a fusion of myself and one or more powerful beings?

The ones that don't are usually "absolute freedom to go anywhere and do anything, even though time and parallel, even fictional, realities for all eternity."
    Other than that last one, they're all fairly common from what I've read. If anything, it would be weird if you hadn't fantasised about having superpowers at some point.

28. - Top - End - #418

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Eh. As far as magical/superpower stuff goes, my list is "flight or levitation", "minor to moderate shapeshifting", and something convoluted that I can roughly summarize as "be in the mirrors".
    For some reason, if I fantasize about superpowers, it's always fast travel of some sort (flight or teleportation)--not sure what that says about me!

29. - Top - End - #419

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Other than that last one, they're all fairly common from what I've read. If anything, it would be weird if you hadn't fantasised about having superpowers at some point.
    It is not just superpowers though.

It's things like "If I enhance myself with nanomachines, replace my heart with this cybernetic one, and transfuse myself with the cells of this guy, this guy, and this guy then I should've able to evolve myself beyond what is definitely human" or "if I meditate under this specific waterfall day in and day out for ten years I will gain mystical powers over the elements, become eternally youthful, and slowly transform into a dragon as I practice my skills and cultivate my power" or "can I be Venom and Ghost Rider at the same time*?"

It's the transformation, transhuman, or gestalting myself with other beings.

*For the record, the answer is "yes." General ross was a Ghost Rider and Venom for a bit during his time as Red Hulk, Venomverse has a version of Roberto Reyes with Venom called "Host Rider," and Carnage was temporal imbued with the powers of a Rider in Absolute Carnage: Spirits of Vengence.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2020-11-08 at 02:01 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #420

It is not just superpowers though.

It's things like "If I enhance myself with nanomachines, replace my heart with this cybernetic one, and transfuse myself with the cells of this guy, this guy, and this guy then I should've able to evolve myself beyond what is definitely human" or "if I meditate under this specific waterfall day in and day out for ten years I will gain mystical powers over the elements, become eternally youthful, and slowly transform into a dragon as I practice my skills and cultivate my power" or "can I be Venom and Ghost Rider at the same time*?"

It's the transformation, transhuman, or gestalting myself with other beings.
    Still not uncommon.