New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    THAT being said, "I'm a warlock who offers all I kill to my lord, but only kill evil people in an attempt to be a hero" is actually really clever I like that. It reminds me of my own character, who is uh... I won't go into it unless people are interested, but Maria Trobelle is a fun cleric, I'll just say.
    You big tease.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    That is not what warlock means. It comes from a permutation of old englis, Waerloga, and receives nuance from the Scots language. At most it means someone in league with {scrub the post, scrub the quote}, not about them being nasty men who betray everyone in general.
    Actually, no, there's an older meaning than that.

The earliest traces for waerloga suggest that it is a combination of wǣr, "covenant" and lēogan, "to deny." Thus, "denier of the covenant" but this wasn't referring to {scrub the post, scrub the quote}, it was just a generic term for traitors, liars, and scoundrels.

However, it was also used euphemistically to refer to {scrub the post, scrub the quote}.

{scrub the post, scrub the quote}, but the oldest use and literal meaning of the word boil down to "breaker of oaths and pacts."
    Ooh, etymologist fight!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-11-16 at 09:58 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Colossus in the Playground

I impulsively started a project to make Symbiotes for the Core Classes of D&D 5e(what I have so far are down in the Homebrew section) but I started before I knew what I was gonna do for everything and now I'm out of ideas.

Starting projects on an impulse is a problem of mine.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Titan in the Playground

Meanwhile I hopped onto Roll20 to see if I could find a game before choice paralysis and social anxiety caused me to close the page.

Maybe the people who say I'm disabled really are right.

Or maybe I should just finish actually building a world so that I can recruit a game from friends or this forum or something.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Speaking of, a game I'm in's starting this Friday (we had the session 0 last week and it went pretty well, so I'm hyped).

I'm far more excited than I should be to discover Astral D&D's markup lets you add randomly chose quotes to dice rolls, too.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

5. - Top - End - #455

So... If they did an episode of South Park where they went to Ireland, would they go to Kilkenny or would that be too obvious?

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ettin in the Playground

So... If they did an episode of South Park where they went to Ireland, would they go to Kilkenny or would that be too obvious?
    GUESS: That would be the first place they go, they would be there a significant portion of the episode, Kenny would survive by the skin of his teeth within the town multiple times, he'd survive the rest of their time in Ireland, He'd be on a different plane than the rest of the group for the journey back home, the plane with the other kids would crash (but everyone on it would survive) Kenny's plane would not crash, but he'd be shot by drug-smugglers in the airport during a layover in Brazil.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-11-10 at 04:19 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Currently mentally debating if I should get the new 5e book, partially because I want to play a Genasi Genie Warlock who's patron is their parent, bound to an [object, thinking a necklace] by their other parent and enslaved. It's a very complicated parent-daughter relationship, she's been taught magic and secrets and is attempting to free them, but is also a reminder of their servitude.

On the other hand I technically don't have much in the way of money.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Currently mentally debating if I should get the new 5e book, partially because I want to play a Genasi Genie Warlock who's patron is their parent, bound to an [object, thinking a necklace] by their other parent and enslaved. It's a very complicated parent-daughter relationship, she's been taught magic and secrets and is attempting to free them, but is also a reminder of their servitude.

On the other hand I technically don't have much in the way of money.
    Could you wait a few days and get a second hand copy? Or just get the PDF?
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    Could you wait a few days and get a second hand copy? Or just get the PDF?
    What pdf? WotC seems to think that would be a bad business move insttead of giving me the choice between a £40 book ands having to pay £40 to reference it on a website.

Show

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

I'm having trouble holding mine, too. I've found streaming (and trying to voice every character no matter what voice I do for them)'s really helped, though.
    Been thinking on this and wondering if I should stream.

Pro: Voice practice!

Con: No idea what I would stream.
    If game, what game? The only games I can think of that I'd be particularly interested in streaming, I don't really want to restart the story of for the sake of a stream. If I just picked up a game that I'm a chapter or three into already and streamed from there... that seems a bit weird.
    If not game... Art? I'm not that good. It'd be good to get the practice, but also, aaaaaaaah. Hobby coding? I know people do it but it seems a bit odd to me. Not sure what the appeal is.

Pro: Outside impetus to keep a schedule for a hobby activity! Most of the things I want to do, I just... don't do.

Con: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2020-11-10 at 10:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #461

Yesterday, I learned that garlic powder and cayenne pepper added to soup works as a halfway decent headache cure.

Or maybe it was a coincidence.

I often wonder what it would feel like to have a prehensile tail, retractable claws, or a third eye in the middle of my forehead.

The last one especially. Would a third viewpoint between but higher up than my original two make my vision better or worse? My perception of geometry might be different even, since I'd be looking at everything from an extra angle.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

If I had a third eye would it have the vision of my god eye or my bad eye? And how would my squint effect it, would all three eyes look in different directions?

Not that I ever hope to have one, the resulting glasses would look silly. Give this Tiefling monkey his tail please.

Show

13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Been thinking on this and wondering if I should stream.

Pro: Voice practice!

Con: No idea what I would stream.
    If game, what game? The only games I can think of that I'd be particularly interested in streaming, I don't really want to restart the story of for the sake of a stream. If I just picked up a game that I'm a chapter or three into already and streamed from there... that seems a bit weird.
    If not game... Art? I'm not that good. It'd be good to get the practice, but also, aaaaaaaah. Hobby coding? I know people do it but it seems a bit odd to me. Not sure what the appeal is.

Pro: Outside impetus to keep a schedule for a hobby activity! Most of the things I want to do, I just... don't do.

Con: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
    When I started back in December, I just dug up a GBA emulator and replayed my old favourites (Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, of course), then used polls to work out what would interest people.

Once you get going, you'll have a better idea of what you want to stream (and/or what your audience would like you to stream).

14. - Top - End - #464

BlackDragon

The last one especially. Would a third viewpoint between but higher up than my original two make my vision better or worse? My perception of geometry might be different even, since I'd be looking at everything from an extra angle.
    I imagine that, if you had such a thing, your brain would be adapted so you wouldn't notice any difference--you only see a single contiguous image with your regular two eyes, after all.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

I really need to stop starting new projects. Now addition to the serious low fantasy game and the silly love letter to 1960s science fiction game (which might lose the rules for physical combat soon) I'm more starting to write one for relatively high magic 'Arabian Nights' style games. And I haven't done the research!

In all seriousness, half the reason is because the first game is sitting amandine as 'nobody will want to play this but me' and I need continual breaks from working on the second in order to stop myself making it overly complicated. But I really do need to do the research, at least once I've got a skeleton I can start adjusting to fit the exact tone I'm going for.

Show

16. - Top - End - #466

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    I imagine that, if you had such a thing, your brain would be adapted so you wouldn't notice any difference--you only see a single contiguous image with your regular two eyes, after all.
    Yes but it would be a differant contiguous image.

Like, right now I'm holding an empty soda can so that when I look down at it, I see only the sides, not the top.

If I had a third eye in the middle of the forehead, the higher angle of that third eye would be presented so that I could see some of the top of the can: I only need to lower the can a little bit while holding it at the same angle to see the pull-tab and the inside of the rim behind it as is.

So... What would I actually see in that situation? Would my brain fill in the rest of the details of the space between the third image and the first two, making me perceive the top and side of the can simultaneously? Would that make my vision better from taking in more detail or worse from there being more blanks to fill in?

These are the things I think about when I should honestly be in bed.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #467

Your vision would be vastly improved by the addition of even a third eye.

Also last night I wake up at 3 due to Horrible Acid Reasons, but I saw this beautiful harvest crescent moon in the sky. I took pictures, please enjoy.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

When I started back in December, I just dug up a GBA emulator and replayed my old favourites (Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, of course), then used polls to work out what would interest people.

Once you get going, you'll have a better idea of what you want to stream (and/or what your audience would like you to stream).
    I honestly can't think of much in the way of games I would want to replay. Especially ones either emulated or on PC, since I have no capture card. I've replayed games before, sure, but not usually without a fairly long gap since the last time.

I mean, I'm sure there's something, but it's not coming to mind; I don't really have "old favorites" that I keep going back to.

Hm. Maybe just say who-cares to continuity, and go right ahead with streaming Ar Tonelico starting from wherever my last save happens to be?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #469
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I honestly can't think of much in the way of games I would want to replay. Especially ones either emulated or on PC, since I have no capture card. I've replayed games before, sure, but not usually without a fairly long gap since the last time.

I mean, I'm sure there's something, but it's not coming to mind; I don't really have "old favorites" that I keep going back to.

Hm. Maybe just say who-cares to continuity, and go right ahead with streaming Ar Tonelico starting from wherever my last save happens to be?
    I'm on team "it's always better to just start." Stream whatever you are doing now, develop a plan latter.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I'm on team "it's always better to just start." Stream whatever you are doing now, develop a plan latter.
    What if I want to YouTube but don't have a camera or a decent PC for editing?
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2020-11-11 at 05:16 PM.

Show

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

...Crayon drawings for visuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    ...Crayon drawings for visuals.
    Still doesn't solve either problem, but if I had crayons it would be considered.If I keep writing like this people are going to think I like buts.

Show

23. - Top - End - #473
    Barbarian in the Playground

S, its been a while since I have popped on. Work has been busy in a good way and my facial hair is finally shaping up.

Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

sig thread is here

24. - Top - End - #474

BlackDragon

You can capture in-game footage using various free tools (nVidia provide one if you happen to have one of their graphics cards), and I've seen people editing videos using a Raspberry Pi, so it's not like you need huge horsepower for that either.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

You can capture in-game footage using various free tools (nVidia provide one if you happen to have one of their graphics cards), and I've seen people editing videos using a Raspberry Pi, so it's not like you need huge horsepower for that either.
    what if he wanted to do a live stream ?
    meow

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    There wouldn't be any space between the images for your brain to fill in, because the images would overlap, just like they do with your normal eyes. It would probably give you super depth perception and make the whole world feel like a movie seen through 3D glasses.
    So completely flat?

Yeah, the problems are 1) I'm not sure how I'd get footage for non vidya game stuff, and I don't want to record my voice via a horrible mic built into my laptop.

I mean looking at it they're like £30-60, so maybe it's 'start with inbuilt mic and pester successful siblings come december'.

Show

27. - Top - End - #477

Do crushed tomatoes, filtered water, a tablespoon of chianti, five cloves of minced garlic, a medium white onion diced fine, a typical measure of fresh ground black pepper, a just barely enough cayenne pepper to notice it, and a pad of salted butter simmered for an hour(carefully monitored in case it gets too think and need more water added) and then pureed with a stick blender to make sure it has a nice smooth and even consistency sound like a good red sauce?

I more or less improvised that recipe for a thing I wrote a while back but I've never actually made it.

A commenter basically said "there are some loose ratios but this kind of thing is mostly going by taste."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #478

BlackDragon

I mean looking at it they're like £30-60, so maybe it's 'start with inbuilt mic and pester successful siblings come december'.
    Youtubers getting started out using toaster mikes is a long honoured tradition, why break it now?

29. - Top - End - #479
    Troll in the Playground

So completely flat?

Yeah, the problems are 1) I'm not sure how I'd get footage for non vidya game stuff, and I don't want to record my voice via a horrible mic built into my laptop.

FWIW, the mic I use (and have been using for nearly a year) cost like £10. There's a little noise (and I want to upgrade eventually), and I had to replace the stand eventually (a decent mic stand is like £15), but it isn't normally much of an issue, and it's still a massive improvement over the laptop's built in mic (which I was accidentally using for several early streams).

30. - Top - End - #480

Not for nothing but I've been doing videos for about 6 years as far as this forum is concerned, if you need any advice I'm willing to offer some.

Holy **** has it actually been six years? Don't answer that because the answer is yes but holy ****.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-11-12 at 11:06 AM.