New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Not for nothing but I've been doing videos for about 6 years as far as this forum is concerned, if you need any advice I'm willing to offer some.

Holy **** has it actually been six years? Don't answer that because the answer is yes but holy ****.
    I realized yesterday that it'd been at least three years according to patreon. So, yes. Time flies.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Do crushed tomatoes, filtered water, a tablespoon of chianti, five cloves of minced garlic, a medium white onion diced fine, a typical measure of fresh ground black pepper, a just barely enough cayenne pepper to notice it, and a pad of salted butter simmered for an hour(carefully monitored in case it gets too think and need more water added) and then pureed with a stick blender to make sure it has a nice smooth and even consistency sound like a good red sauce?

I more or less improvised that recipe for a thing I wrote a while back but I've never actually made it.

A commenter basically said "there are some loose ratios but this kind of thing is mostly going by taste."
    I think it sounds tasty. It's at least a good enough start that you'll have something to meaningfully refine in my opinion.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

Not for nothing but I've been doing videos for about 6 years as far as this forum is concerned, if you need any advice I'm willing to offer some.

Holy **** has it actually been six years? Don't answer that because the answer is yes but holy ****.
    I would, but my main worries currently mainly rely on personality and speaking ability, which people on this forum wouldn't be able to judge. Or having no idea what to start with. I'm not going to go for something like Geneforge but if I was starting a Let's Play it could in theory be anything from Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced (although unlikely, as I've replayed it recently enough to get coloured gem shard burnout) to Planescape: Torment. The latter of which I'm definitely doing a retrospective review on sometime after I've got a channel started up if not a full Let's Play, because by Pelor's radiant behind has that game aged well in everything but the combat gameplay (which has gone from 'terrible' to 'comparatively even more terrible').
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I realized yesterday that it'd been at least three years according to patreon. So, yes. Time flies.
    Don't feel bad: I have two bachelor's degrees and I am still occasionally shocked when I remember it's been almost ten years since I graduated high school.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #485

The real ****ed thing is that if you go by when I ACTUALLY started making videos, and not stated here on the forum, I've been doing it for 14 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I would, but my main worries currently mainly rely on personality and speaking ability, which people on this forum wouldn't be able to judge. Or having no idea what to start with. I'm not going to go for something like Geneforge but if I was starting a Let's Play it could in theory be anything from Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced (although unlikely, as I've replayed it recently enough to get coloured gem shard burnout) to Planescape: Torment. The latter of which I'm definitely doing a retrospective review on sometime after I've got a channel started up if not a full Let's Play, because by Pelor's radiant behind has that game aged well in everything but the combat gameplay (which has gone from 'terrible' to 'comparatively even more terrible').
    Let me be a good example that you do not have to have a good personality to be liked, you just need to keep on going till enough people follow you that it becomes momentum. I mean, for a couple games it was just gameplay, no text. Then it was text. Only recently was it voice (and modulated to hide that I'm trans) and now my real voice as of this year. People will get you eventually.

my advice on starting is always start small. Don't take The Thing You Must Do and do it first. I didn't start with the Supergiant Games, I started with Sproggiwood and some Zeldas. Do something smaller, nicer, and nicher. So it's short and sweet, won't burn you out, but won't be sad to look at when you look back on it and go "I wish I was better at this back when I did this".

Don't feel bad: I have two bachelor's degrees and I am still occasionally shocked when I remember it's been almost ten years since I graduated high school.
    Same except I didn't go to college.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

Let me be a good example that you do not have to have a good personality to be liked, you just need to keep on going till enough people follow you that it becomes momentum. I mean, for a couple games it was just gameplay, no text. Then it was text. Only recently was it voice (and modulated to hide that I'm trans) and now my real voice as of this year. People will get you eventually.
    I'm sure you have more personality than you give yourself credit for!

my advice on starting is always start small. Don't take The Thing You Must Do and do it first. I didn't start with the Supergiant Games, I started with Sproggiwood and some Zeldas. Do something smaller, nicer, and nicher. So it's short and sweet, won't burn you out, but won't be sad to look at when you look back on it and go "I wish I was better at this back when I did this".
    The problem is that I have the big milestones worked out, but no clue where I'm beginning. I have a vague desire to do Doom, but I suck at shooters (my test for hand-eye coordination bugged out because I was so low).

Maybe I should just dig into my GoG library and see what I have,

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

7. - Top - End - #487

I'm sure you have more personality than you give yourself credit for!

The problem is that I have the big milestones worked out, but no clue where I'm beginning. I have a vague desire to do Doom, but I suck at shooters (my test for hand-eye coordination bugged out because I was so low).

Maybe I should just dig into my GoG library and see what I have,
    Yeah just see what you have. Throw ideas at me and I'll tell you what I think. And thanks, I don't think I'm that impressionable or good, but people seem to like me so that's gotta count for something.

Regardless, you'll get there. Just gotta start walking.

8. - Top - End - #488

Regardless, you'll get there. Just gotta start walking.
    Yes.

Starting something new is just like learning to walk, ride a bike, or going from bad to good.

You just have to put one foot in front of the other. Just like the song from that one Rankin-Bass Christmas Special.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

You just have to put one foot in front of the other. Just like the song from that one Rankin-Bass Christmas Special.
    "Where There's a Whip, There's a Way"? Not the most motivational thing IMO, but you do you.

10. - Top - End - #490

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    "Where There's a Whip, There's a Way"? Not the most motivational thing IMO, but you do you.
    *googles*

I wasn't aware that The Lord of The Rings was a Christmas special. I imagine that Rankin-Bass took liberties?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

*googles*

I wasn't aware that The Lord of The Rings was a Christmas special. I imagine that Rankin-Bass took liberties?
    It's reasonably faithful, actually, aside from.. not actually being a very good movie. It suffers a lot from trying to cram all of the book into a standard movie length, as well as having to try to basically start in media res and provide enough context to know what was going on - they only did Return of the King, so could not assume people were familiar with the story leading to that point.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2020-11-12 at 06:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #492

It's reasonably faithful, actually, aside from.. not actually being a very good movie. It suffers a lot from trying to cram all of the book into a standard movie length, as well as having to try to basically start in media res and provide enough context to know what was going on - they only did Return of the King, so could not assume people were familiar with the story leading to that point.
    The joke is that I specified it came from a Christmas special and you responded with a reference to a non-christmas work by the same people.

Or, in short: I was being a smart ass.

My familiarity with animated adaptions of Tolkien's works begins and ends with this scene of a giant angry kitty with flashlights for eyes boasting to a middle-aged little person.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

So what I'm getting is 'start bashing your head against the wall, and eventually you'll either break through or have no neck'.

Show

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

What if I want to YouTube but don't have a camera or a decent PC for editing?
    I've got a friend who does YouTube and just now said she was considering trying to find video-editing work. I could connect you?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I've got a friend who does YouTube and just now said she was considering trying to find video-editing work. I could connect you?
    Excuse me while I laugh at the idea of having money.

Show

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

Excuse me while I laugh at the idea of having money.
    Fair enough.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #497
    Troll in the Playground

Let me be a good example that you do not have to have a good personality to be liked, you just need to keep on going till enough people follow you that it becomes momentum.
    Hey, now, give yourself more credit. I didn't follow you for the gameplay. ;P
    I mean, yes, it's actually fine, but it was the humour and the personality that went into the write ups and text that hooked me.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

18. - Top - End - #498

Yes.

Starting something new is just like learning to walk, ride a bike, or going from bad to good.

That song lives in my head rent free.

I mean for the right person...

Hey, now, give yourself more credit. I didn't follow you for the gameplay. ;P
    I mean, yes, it's actually fine, but it was the humour and the personality that went into the write ups and text that hooked me.
    There's a reason I'm a published author and not a professional comedian

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Beginning to think I will stream something. Maybe pull a game off the pile from the itch.io BLM bundle, for starters.
    My Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #500

Beginning to think I will stream something. Maybe pull a game off the pile from the itch.io BLM bundle, for starters.
    Good choices!

Also tomorrow after DND try and remind me to buy Crystal Chronicles HD so this weekend we can try recording it for my channel like I kept saying we should before I got sick.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Titan in the Playground

Good choices!

Also tomorrow after DND try and remind me to buy Crystal Chronicles HD so this weekend we can try recording it for my channel like I kept saying we should before I got sick.
    I remember trying to play that game long ago. Never got far. just too.......too.....repetitive? hard? what word am I searching for? I dunno, I don't think there was any one thing wrong with it, its just that it was a lot of things that add up to not the most fun experience ever, and I generally dropped off around year 3 or 4 when I tried it.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #502
    Titan in the Playground

I remember trying to play that game long ago. Never got far. just too.......too.....repetitive? hard? what word am I searching for? I dunno, I don't think there was any one thing wrong with it, its just that it was a lot of things that add up to not the most fun experience ever, and I generally dropped off around year 3 or 4 when I tried it.
    It is a bit of a grind, and the difficulty tends to spike really hard after a few years, so unless you're very good at the game, or willing to grind like crazy, it's going to be difficult to beat.

It does not help that several of the game's features required you to have a gameboy advance and link cable, or that you had to have at least 3 characters to actually get the best equipment, if I recall correctly.

23. - Top - End - #503

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    It is a bit of a grind, and the difficulty tends to spike really hard after a few years, so unless you're very good at the game, or willing to grind like crazy, it's going to be difficult to beat.

It does not help that several of the game's features required you to have a gameboy advance and link cable, or that you had to have at least 3 characters to actually get the best equipment, if I recall correctly.
    Yeah what Mystic Muse said.

I did a solo LP of it where I did not do any grinding at all for the sake of my sanity!

Yup.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

Heh, I've only played one of the games I got from that, and that's one that I couldn't link to on this forum because it inherently breaks forum rules.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2020-11-13 at 02:49 AM.

25. - Top - End - #505

I have lived with cats for more or less my entire life.

I've gotten decently good at feline communication, me thinks, but I still can't tell the difference between the "slave, I demand belly scritches" pose and the "come near me and you'll lose a finger" pose.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

I have lived with cats for more or less my entire life.

I've gotten decently good at feline communication, me thinks, but I still can't tell the difference between the "slave, I demand belly scritches" pose and the "come near me and you'll lose a finger" pose.
    They're the same pose. Location and the cat's comfort with particular people matter a lot - if you're in the spot where the cat normally comes to you for attention, it's a lot more likely that they'll want the bellyrub (or at least tolerate you doing it) versus them just being flopped over in some random spot.

27. - Top - End - #507

They're the same pose. Location and the cat's comfort with particular people matter a lot - if you're in the spot where the cat normally comes to you for attention, it's a lot more likely that they'll want the bellyrub (or at least tolerate you doing it) versus them just being flopped over in some random spot.
    Currently it's the same place.

The "main" computer that my mother uses is right next to the door to my room.

I can hardly leave my room without a cat jumping onto either the seat or the back of the computer chair and demanding my attention.

That cat that has decided that I am his human will often flip around and present his belly while he is being petted, but it seems to be a crapshoot on if that means "now the belly" or "I don't want any more attention, begone before I strike."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

For the last couple of months my father and I have managed to go jogging with actual regularity (twice a week) and for the first time I've managed to do the entire run (7.6km) at his rythm without lagging behind as I usually do. We are gradually going faster too as we went from around 46 minutes a run to a bit above 44.5. And while we were stretching afterwards, I managed to touch my toes for the first time since I don't remember!

Add to that that I've also mananged to consistantly exercise almost every day we don't run and know one can make out the tiniest hint of abdominal muscles when my belly is at rest (if one knows to look it) and while I don't have the body of my dreams yet, I'm more pleased with it than I have been for years.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Well having picked up Stardew Valley, I think I've found a good first YouTube game. At least once I've done a run to learn the mechanics.

Also apparently it;s now transexual awareness week. Annoying to be in a time where I'm not allowed line of sight to notice them.

Show

30. - Top - End - #510

Well having picked up Stardew Valley, I think I've found a good first YouTube game. At least once I've done a run to learn the mechanics.

Also apparently it;s now transexual awareness week. Annoying to be in a time where I'm not allowed line of sight to notice them.
    *Transgender, not that other one.

Also hey I'm trans. Be aware of me? Just like, in general?