Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 799
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lord Raziere's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male2Female

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Also character arcs. I think the biggest hurdle is realizing the characters are the most interesting part of the setting, and the structure is about their changes more than the plot. Even 40K books are basically divided into good character driven ones and bad setting driven ones.
    *snaps fingers, points*

    Thats a good idea. I should think about that too. figuring out goals and how they get there and grow because of it are always the most important part of characters
    My Fan Fiction:
    To Catch A Mew
    A Kalos based pokemon fan fic. Now up to Chapter 25! I'm also on discord as "raziere".



  2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    *snaps fingers, points*

    Thats a good idea. I should think about that too. figuring out goals and how they get there and grow because of it are always the most important part of characters
    You son of a gun I'm in!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Well, I finally got a new smartphone on Sunday. It's an LG smartphone. I got my old contracts and apps to transfer from my old phone to my new phone.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And this is why I never got into American comics, they feel like they expect me to know random bits of lore from another series six years ago because they're now going to build a plot around how Iron Monger's suit is actually an AI with Swedish citizenship now working as a warehouse security guard.

    On the other hand I can understand the appeal, I was the kid in 2005 who was annoyed that Doctor Who hadn't brought back the Cybermen yet.
    Actually, no.

    All of this stuff is from the last two years and the only series you need to know to understand this stuff is Venom Vol 4. (Though Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 5 and the Silver Surfer: Black miniseries also help.)

    And, you know, the Event Spin-Offs. (Though some of Absolute Carnage's Spin-Offs are... There was clearly a breakdown in communications between Donny Cates and Saladin Ahmed. Absolute Carnage: Miles Morales contradicted scenes from the main Absolute Carnage Mini-Series, Carnage's behavior made absolutely no sense in the context of the main event, and per Cates he wasn't informed that Ahmed depicted Miles as taking control of his offshoot of the Carage Symbiote until it was too late for Cates to change the next bit of the main storyline to compensate. So, basically, it amounts to nothing.)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham. AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And this is why I never got into American comics, they feel like they expect me to know random bits of lore from another series six years ago because they're now going to build a plot around how Iron Monger's suit is actually an AI with Swedish citizenship now working as a warehouse security guard.
    That's part* of why I generally dislike the MCU. It feels like I have to watch previous movies as homework.

    *there are various other reasons, for anyone wishing to try to refute this to get me to say "oh how wrong I was, let me embrace the MCU now!"
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

  6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That's part* of why I generally dislike the MCU. It feels like I have to watch previous movies as homework.

    *there are various other reasons, for anyone wishing to try to refute this to get me to say "oh how wrong I was, let me embrace the MCU now!"
    I'm kind of salty about how they handle Spider-Man. Like, Homecoming and Far From Home are good movies...

    But let's review Spider-Man's MCU History.

    First appearance(Vie Retcon): A Kid wearing an Iron Man Mask in the Iron Man movies.(Via a retcon.)

    A Kid that Iron Man found and decided to mentor and give Swag to in Civil War.

    His own first solo movie has him using the Swag Tony gave him, has Tony take it away, and then Spider-Man earns it back by cleaning up one of Tony's messes.

    Infinity War: He gets shoved in the fridge to fuel Tony's character development in Endgame.

    After his ressurection in Endgame, we get his next solo movie where PEter is mourning tony's passing, and comes into his own and becomes his own man... By cleaning up another of Tony's Messes with resources given to him by Stark's company. Now, Vulture, as an old man who got laughed at and screwed over when he presented his flight suit to his employers, could work as an Iron Man problem... But Mysterio's a stretch.

    Spider-Man 3: Title Pending but probably has the Word Home In it apparently has Peter teaming up with Doctor Strange, so hopefully it will have nothing to do with Iron Man, but right now you could replace Peter Parker with an OC and have him fighting crime as Iron Lad and you'd lose nothing.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That's part* of why I generally dislike the MCU. It feels like I have to watch previous movies as homework.

    *there are various other reasons, for anyone wishing to try to refute this to get me to say "oh how wrong I was, let me embrace the MCU now!"
    Oh, I totally agree. I'm starting to think the BBC's idea of continuity in Doctor Who is the right way to go for longer series. In short, while everything is canonical, stories in the primary medium (here TV episodes) are written with the idea that you don't have to have seen anything more than about three years old to understand it. On the downside it means that some things more reliant on continuity have been left out (such as explaining why the Doctor said they were half-human), on the upside there's no need to watch a Patrick Troughton episode just to understand what's going on in a Matt Smith one.

    I think I missed most of the Phase Two MCU films, and had trouble following some Phase Three films because of it. And now that apparently the TV shows are going to be a major part as well and might be required viewing for films? Well that's another twenty hours of slog just to understand a film I'm watching in order to understand another film, I've stopped watching them at all.

    Shared universes are great. Shared universes that are too interconnected become impossible to get into or keep up with. Imagine if to keep up with Doctor Who you didn't just have to watch ten hour long episodes a year, but also listen to the twelve main range Big Finish audio dramas and get the biannual big novel. That's what I feel like the MCU and Marvel and DC comics in general are.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2020-10-13 at 06:46 PM.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Is there a Doctor Who comic book by any chance?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Insane Jeenyus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    So, its been a long minute since I have been on the thread, sorry about tha if any one missed me. If no one missed me, Sorry about that.

    I see the obvious new title and the slightly less obvious new Avi for Data Ninja.
    when did you get the gnew gnifty Avitar?
    Has any one seen my jar of anti-protons or my cyclotron of positrons?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sermil View Post

    How many surrealist painters does it take to change a light bulb?
    Soup made from multicolored machine parts
    Side employment:
    Professor Emeritus:Studies of Supernatural Events and Countermeasures;

    Miscatonic University, Nashville Campus

    sig thread is here



  10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DataNinja's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by Insane Jeenyus View Post
    So, its been a long minute since I have been on the thread, sorry about tha if any one missed me. If no one missed me, Sorry about that.

    I see the obvious new title and the slightly less obvious new Avi for Data Ninja.
    when did you get the gnew gnifty Avitar?
    Well, glad to know that your fall off the cliff thread was only temporary.

    And I've only had it for a week. It's just for spooky season. Then I'll switch back to... something.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

    01001110011001010111001001100100

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I've annoyed people before by pointing out the bad worldbuilding in Harry Potter, people handwaving it instead of tying to come up with explanations is what made me fall out of love with the series back in 2013.
    I never really fell *into* love with the series, primarily for the same reason. I mean, I really like books which are nominally set on Earth but where there's all sorts of spooky mysterious stuff beyond the stuff we know, so Harry Potter should have been an absolute shoo-in for me, but nothing in it really made any sense, especially not the actions of any of the adults.

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Fyraltari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    France
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Is there a Doctor Who comic book by any chance?
    I think there are several? I keep hearing about a serie in Titan Comics for example.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law



    Forum Wisdom

    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BisectedBrioche's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Some rainly old island
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And this is why I never got into American comics, they feel like they expect me to know random bits of lore from another series six years ago because they're now going to build a plot around how Iron Monger's suit is actually an AI with Swedish citizenship now working as a warehouse security guard.

    On theother hand I can understand the appeal, I was the kid in 2005 who was annoyed that Doctor Who hadn't brought back the Cybermen yet.



    I've annoyed people before by pointing out the bad worldbuilding in Harry Potter, people handwaving it instead of tying to come up with explanations is what made me fall out of love with the series back in 2013.
    Hey, there's worse ways to go off the series.



    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Metroid Prime (Mon/Wed) and Ace Attorney (Fri)

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Is there a Doctor Who comic book by any chance?
    Doctor Who Magazine has been running a comic strip stove the 60s, which was the first place where Daleks flew (which they've been able to do since they stopped being bound to their cities, budget permitting). Plus a few American comic books which aren't as important.

    Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    Hey, there's worse ways to go off the series.



    The only problem is that it stops me from joining righteous protests.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    LaZodiac's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I'm kind of salty about how they handle Spider-Man. Like, Homecoming and Far From Home are good movies...

    But let's review Spider-Man's MCU History.

    First appearance(Vie Retcon): A Kid wearing an Iron Man Mask in the Iron Man movies.(Via a retcon.)

    A Kid that Iron Man found and decided to mentor and give Swag to in Civil War.

    His own first solo movie has him using the Swag Tony gave him, has Tony take it away, and then Spider-Man earns it back by cleaning up one of Tony's messes.

    Infinity War: He gets shoved in the fridge to fuel Tony's character development in Endgame.

    After his ressurection in Endgame, we get his next solo movie where PEter is mourning tony's passing, and comes into his own and becomes his own man... By cleaning up another of Tony's Messes with resources given to him by Stark's company. Now, Vulture, as an old man who got laughed at and screwed over when he presented his flight suit to his employers, could work as an Iron Man problem... But Mysterio's a stretch.

    Spider-Man 3: Title Pending but probably has the Word Home In it apparently has Peter teaming up with Doctor Strange, so hopefully it will have nothing to do with Iron Man, but right now you could replace Peter Parker with an OC and have him fighting crime as Iron Lad and you'd lose nothing.
    Do you have a source for the iron man mask kid because I've never heard of that.

    I don't mind Spider-man being presented as a sort of successor to Iron-Man. I do argue that Vulture is not actually Stark's mess- Vulture began what he was doing because of Stark doing a responsible thing and taking over cleaning up the wreckage, but that had the unfortunate (and legitimately bad) effect of putting common folk out of a job. I don't know what you're talking about with him getting laughed out of the room by his flying suit, that's just not part of the film unless I'm COMPLETELY blanking on it. Vulture still comes off as a very personal villain to Spider-man.

    Mysterio being an absolute goober who blames Stark for his being a dip**** is honestly one of my favorite parts of that film. Mysterio is a privileged upper-class dude who thinks he is a genius, and when he got laughed at he decided to go full evil. I think the sheer pettiness of it makes him work as a character, and it's a fun contrast to Vulture who is legitimately a working class guy who got screwed over.

    They have confirmed Spider-man 3 is going to have home in the title somewhere, so you can rest easy on that . Given the send off they had in Far From Home, I'm pretty confident there won't be any Iron Man stuff in this third film.

    I think there is something that'd be missing if you had him as "Iron Lad" or what have you. Spider-man has a very distinct down to earth personality that serves as an interesting contrast between his mentor- and having Stark as his mentor makes sense with the universe they've made. I don't think it even really cheapens the character, all of his initial tech is his own handiwork and Stark's designs just build on it. He is giving him resources that he would never be able to obtain himself and I think that's cool.

    Also if you had Iron Man's successor just be Iron Man, that'd mean the set up of Shuri's school in America wouldn't be allowed to make Iron Heart, which I'm still pretty sure it'll do (especially now that Chadwick is gone).


    Ray 01 avatar by Pinkhaired August. C U S T O M!
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground
     
    BisectedBrioche's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Some rainly old island
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Doctor Who Magazine has been running a comic strip stove the 60s, which was the first place where Daleks flew (which they've been able to do since they stopped being bound to their cities, budget permitting). Plus a few American comic books which aren't as important.



    The only problem is that it stops me from joining righteous protests.
    Could you put that in stupid? I used up all my clever streaming The Witness.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Metroid Prime (Mon/Wed) and Ace Attorney (Fri)

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    In middle school, we had one of those really oppressive dress codes where you weren't allowed to wear certain combinations of colors becuase it might be gang colors and girls weren't allowed to have bare shoulders.

    And yet, a kid was able to walk in every day wearing a shirt with a naked woman on the front. She was posed so you couldn't see her chest or groin but you got a clear look at her buttocks and the woman was posed in a way that made it clear she wasn't wearing a stitch and that was clearly meant for titillation.

    So... The girls couldn't show any skin that wasn't on their face or arms below the shoulders. And nobody could wear solid red shirts with black denim shorts and a yellow headband(made-up example) but this one kid could walk in with softcore pornography on his chest. Never once did a member of staff comment on it.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Ha, you can that a strict dress code? We had a choice between the maroon polo shirt or the maroon polo shirt, with the optional maroon fleece for winter (unfortunately the school stopped the old blazer+tie uniforms the year I started).

    Honestly it wasn't that bad. There were complaints, mainly based around the hypothesis that school uniforms made us have worse fashion sense, but most people didn't care. I remember it not being normal to change after school, instead wearing your uniform the entire day.

    Honestly the main thing I remember at school is that it was impossible to find other nerds because everybody was busy playing football.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    So, is there anyone here who doesn't think eternal youth and vitality would be awesome?

    I'm not saying perfect immortality, just "you are young and healthy forever and will not dye of old age or natural causes."

    Cause... I'm not even thirty yet and I've already got really bad arthritis(or at least I'm assuming it's early-onset arthritis. I'm a big guy but I don't think I'm big enough for my weight alone to cause this much damage to my knees and some days I think it's spreading into my arms) and I watched my great grandmother be destroyed by dementia(well, dementia and five strokes. I don't recall how closely they were related.)

    Getting old is gonna suck and I'm scared of what might happen once I get to be "old" old, I'd take eternal youth in a heartbeat.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2009

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Eternal life is a hell no.

    Eternal youth would be a hell yes.

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DataNinja's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    So, is there anyone here who doesn't think eternal youth and vitality would be awesome?
    To be honest... I'd hate it. Like, sure, knowing you wouldn't get sick or whatever is great. Your first lifetime would be great.

    Except you outlive everyone you care about. Who cares about you. It's hard enough as it is, but you see them grow old and die even as you were the same age. Sure, you may be around, but the world moves on without you. I'd just be lonely, knowing that I'd last, but nothing - and nobody - that I'd care about would ever persist with me.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

    01001110011001010111001001100100

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    To be honest... I'd hate it. Like, sure, knowing you wouldn't get sick or whatever is great. Your first lifetime would be great.

    Except you outlive everyone you care about. Who cares about you. It's hard enough as it is, but you see them grow old and die even as you were the same age. Sure, you may be around, but the world moves on without you. I'd just be lonely, knowing that I'd last, but nothing - and nobody - that I'd care about would ever persist with me.
    I mean, that's gonna happen regardless. The world will move on past you regardless of what you do and the only way to not see all your friends die is for you to die before the last of them. The only way to avoid seeing them grow old is to die young.

    It's gonna happen regardless. You being eternally youthful doesn't change anything... Except you'll be in better shape and, when the pain fades, you'll have time to maybe make new friends. Or ensure that your friends aren't forgotten.

    Most of the downsides people list against eternal youth or immortality are things that could have happened to you, or else will happen to you, anyway.

    If I became perfectly immortal right now, my odds of being trapped in a cave in and not being discovered for a decade is exactly the same. The only difference is I'd be alive and able to recover when I got discovered instead of a decayed corpse.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground
     
    enderlord99's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A film shoot.

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Most of the downsides people list against eternal youth or immortality are things that could have happened to you, or else will happen to you, anyway.

    If I became perfectly immortal right now, my odds of being trapped in a cave in and not being discovered for a decade is exactly the same. The only difference is I'd be alive and able to recover when I got discovered instead of a decayed corpse.
    That's an interesting perspective.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

    I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

    I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm.
    Explanation here.

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DataNinja's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I mean, that's gonna happen regardless. The world will move on past you regardless of what you do and the only way to not see all your friends die is for you to die before the last of them. The only way to avoid seeing them grow old is to die young.

    It's gonna happen regardless. You being eternally youthful doesn't change anything... Except you'll be in better shape and, when the pain fades, you'll have time to maybe make new friends. Or ensure that your friends aren't forgotten.

    Most of the downsides people list against eternal youth or immortality are things that could have happened to you, or else will happen to you, anyway.

    If I became perfectly immortal right now, my odds of being trapped in a cave in and not being discovered for a decade is exactly the same. The only difference is I'd be alive and able to recover when I got discovered instead of a decayed corpse.
    Sure, but it won't linger on forever, building up as generation after generation of people pass on. Not growing older with a person you might love. Seeing the places that you love change beyond recognition again and again.

    That may be something you would like... but I don't think that I could handle it. I'm poor with change. With abandonment. You asked if anyone thought it wouldn't be awesome. And that's my answer.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

    01001110011001010111001001100100

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anonymouswizard's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In my library

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Why do people always assume immortality only applies to one person?

    Bring on the infinite lifespans! Bring on the infinite healthspans! Even if I'm the only one who's immortal at first it's surely only a matter of decades to millennia until everybody else has the option.

    It's not like we're even taking away the ability to die. Barring accidents and potentially diseases what we're doing is removing the strict(ish) deadline and letting you die at a time of your choosing. There's many ethical arguments we shouldn't get into, but the potential to live forever does not have to mean the reality of living forever should you not want to.

    Now the biggest problems we have to solve are things like dementias, but I can see no reason why everybody being eternally young should be impossible. Some animals seem to manage it. And I could waffle on about this all day but I'll end up going places I shouldn't.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

    RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

    Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham. AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    If be good with eternal youth until I die. Don't need immortality.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Oh, man. Last night was great at Youtubeland. I just made 570 to 600 subscribers because a friend of mine shared one of my videos on Instagram and Snapchat. All of a sudden I just gain so many subscribers very quickly.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DataNinja's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Why do people always assume immortality only applies to one person?

    Bring on the infinite lifespans! Bring on the infinite healthspans! Even if I'm the only one who's immortal at first it's surely only a matter of decades to millennia until everybody else has the option.

    It's not like we're even taking away the ability to die. Barring accidents and potentially diseases what we're doing is removing the strict(ish) deadline and letting you die at a time of your choosing. There's many ethical arguments we shouldn't get into, but the potential to live forever does not have to mean the reality of living forever should you not want to.

    Now the biggest problems we have to solve are things like dementias, but I can see no reason why everybody being eternally young should be impossible. Some animals seem to manage it. And I could waffle on about this all day but I'll end up going places I shouldn't.
    I mean... I really wouldn't think it'd be all that great if it applied to everyone, either. Because... to be frank, past a point, it tends to be difficult for people to fully change. I feel that if everyone was immortal, there would be a lot of stagnancy. No hurry, no nothing, as the people who really wanted power would take it and grasp it and try and never, ever let go.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

    01001110011001010111001001100100

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Rater202's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    The Underworld
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Sure, but it won't linger on forever, building up as generation after generation of people pass on. Not growing older with a person you might love. Seeing the places that you love change beyond recognition again and again.
    All that's gonna happen whether you get old or not. The only way to not see that happen is to die first.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

    Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator
     
    Peelee's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham. AL
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

    Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    I mean... I really wouldn't think it'd be all that great if it applied to everyone, either. Because... to be frank, past a point, it tends to be difficult for people to fully change. I feel that if everyone was immortal, there would be a lot of stagnancy. No hurry, no nothing, as the people who really wanted power would take it and grasp it and try and never, ever let go.
    Like science, society advances one funeral at a time.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •