New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rater's Ridiculously Rambunctious Random Ranter #229

An Acid and things being acidic aren't the same thing. While Pineapple isn't "sour" (it's certainly tart) it's still acidic which is determined by it's pH. It doesn't matter if Pineapple tastes sour or not. Olive Oil is acidic but it doesn't taste sour. Acidity is caused by other things than acids, such as the phenols in Olive Oil which is what makes it acidic. Pineapple do have acids however (Bromelain is not an acid, it's an enzyme) however which makes it tart. A whole host of them actually. Gallic acid being one but it really is a stunningly long list. Bromelain is also not corrosive. Corrosion is a process that effects metals and Bromelain applied to metals actually makes them more resistant to corrosion. Bromelain denatures proteins by breaking down amino acids. This process has a name, catabolism. The person saying early in the thread about pineapple eating you while you eat it is accurate. Bromelain in effect is digesting your skin.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Huh. I thought I saw "corrosive" in my very quick-and-dirty preliminary google double-checking, but you're right, it's not (and may be an effective corrosion inhibitor at that!). Though it is acidic/has low pH, but acts alkaline when ingested, which is super cool.

But yeah, regardless, acidic foods don't taste too acidic all that much and it's easy to counteract. Hell, Coke has a stronger acid than HCl or H2SO4, but ain't a person alive that could honestly say it tastes acidic.

H3PO4, if anyone was wondering. ~2.1 pH, but Coke is closer to ~2.5, so straight Coke still has a lower pH than hydrochloric and sulfuric.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-10-23 at 11:28 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

It has to do with a lot of factors, along with heat denaturing a lot of the compounds that make things taste sour to us which has already been pointed out. Heat up some vinegar, it's not going to be as sour when it cools. The reason you lose the tannin tastes and elements of wine in cooking is heat. Same goes for pizza sauce and pineapple.

Also, Rater is wrong about "good cooking". It's true that complimentary flavors work together...they're complimentary...good cooking isn't just about pairing a flavor that goes well with another. It's also about contrast. Textural and flavor contrasts in food are important. It's why you pair something sweet like fig or pear with something savory and salty like cured ham.

Salt and pepper are the iconic seasoning duo...but they're contrasting flavors. By Rater's metric you wouldn't use them together.
    Oreo cookies are another example people probably wouldn't think of. The creme is sweet, overly sweet even, while the cookie is slightly bitter on its own.
    Sweet and sour are contrasting flavors but the combination of lime and chili can be found in a ton of cuisines.
    Chocolate covered pretzels are contrasting flavors. The sweet and salty contrast.

Except these are all well known and popular combinations. It's because contrasting flavors balance one another and create different flavor profiles because the things that might make them off putting on their own or too strong on their own are mellowed out by the thing they're paired with while enhancing other qualities. Salt is less salty when you've got pepper along with it and the pepper isn't as peppery. Oreo cookies eaten together are balanced. A pad thai is balanced because the sour of tamarind and lime is met against the chili peppers (also the palm sugar helps).
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-10-23 at 11:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razade View Post
    I just think it's nuts that people are letting LaZodiac and Rater off the hook trying to claim tomato sauce isn't acidic. LaZodiac even called it base.

The pH of Pineapple is between 3 and 4. Which makes it an acid. Since base is anything higher than 7 (7 being neutral)

The pH of canned tomato sauce is less than 3. Canned tomato sauce is more of an acid than the pineapple. Raw tomatoes, if you make the sauce yourself which I'd recommend if you can get the right tomato, is around 4. So the same as a pineapple. Hell, tomatoes even need slightly acidic soil to grow, requiring lower than a 7.5 soil acidity. There is a reason in cooking that you add a little sugar and salt to a tomato sauce and it's to cut the acidity of the sauce. Rosemary, thyme and oregano are also really good flavors for cutting the acidic nature of ingredients. There's a reason they're the generic pizza spices and not just because they're common in Italian cooking.

Also, if Rater wants to avoid people confusing "spicy" for "hot" when he actually means "has spices" the proper cooking term is "spiced" not "spicy."

Pineapples also do have something to do with Hawaii. They have tons of pineapple plantations on the islands. They're not endemic to Hawaii but the fruit has a pretty deep history with the islands. None of it positive and all of it against forum rules.
    Yeah that's a mistake on my part, I apologize. I hadn't actually EATEN yet when I posted that, so I wasn't fully thinking.

To reclarify my point- the acid of the pineapple helps with the heavy meat taste for me. Too much meat and it feels very "blegh" but the pineapple helps break it up and helps break it down. I believe I'm correct in saying that various meats like sausage and stuff are more base than acid, but I legitimately forget.

Canned tomato sauce being 3 and Pineapple being 4 means tomato sauce is LESS acidic, but it's the higher number that means more in this case (unless I'm forgetting again because I'm tired).

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    Canned tomato sauce being 3 and Pineapple being 4 means tomato sauce is LESS acidic, but it's the higher number that means more in this case (unless I'm forgetting again because I'm tired).
    You're forgetting again because you're tired.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

Yeesh, y'all're chatterboxes sometimes over the strangest things. I blink, and then suddenly two more pages.

In unrelated news, I'm kinda thinking about wanting Hawaiian Pizza for some strange reason.

In other (actually) unrelated news, I think I'm finally getting the hang of this weird "real-time" GMing thing.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    pH doesn't work that way. You're forgetting because you're tired, being charitable.

Neutral is 7. Anything higher than that is more basic. Anything that's lower than that is acidic. The lower the number, the more acidic it is. I'm not sure why you'd think I'd be wrong about the very thing I'm correcting you on. It is what it is.
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-10-24 at 01:28 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248

pH doesn't work that way. You're forgetting because you're tired, being charitable.

Neutral is 7. Anything higher than that is more basic. Anything that's lower than that is acidic. The lower the number, the more acidic it is. I'm not sure why you'd think I'd be wrong about something when correcting you but it is what it is I suppose.
    It's because I forgot how the PH scale worked. You know, since that's not a thing I interact with enough to memorize it. But yeah, I forgot.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2020-10-24 at 01:30 AM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

You interact with the pH scale literally every day of your life. I get that it's not intuitive, like golf scores, but it's easy to remember when you put it in the perspecitve that is not a 0-10 scale it is a scale with center number and it then goes higher or lower relative to that central number.
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-10-24 at 01:38 AM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

You interact with the pH scale literally every day of your life. .
    I interact with things ON the pH scale every day... but the actual scale itself hasn't been something I've considered much since Chemistry in High School and University, which was decades ago.
    I also have a bit of a craving for pineapple now too, but it's that Hawaiian burger that sounds good to me.

11. - Top - End - #251

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmor View Post
    I interact with things ON the pH scale every day... but the actual scale itself hasn't been something I've considered much since Chemistry in High School and University, which was decades ago.
    I also have a bit of a craving for pineapple now too, but it's that Hawaiian burger that sounds good to me.
    The Hawaiian burger is REAL good. Highly encourage you try it out.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Wow, debate between foid prescriptivists and food descriptivists. Odd.
    In case my "cuisine police" snippet wasn't clear, sign me up with the people who say there aren't any wrong way to enjoy food (well unless it's unhealthy).

Oh, and:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post

The argument on taxonomy and cladistics was started when Pelee
    Peelee*. Nothing personnal.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

13. - Top - End - #253

Also, Rater is wrong about "good cooking". It's true that complimentary flavors work together...they're complimentary...good cooking isn't just about pairing a flavor that goes well with another. It's also about contrast. Textural and flavor contrasts in food are important. It's why you pair something sweet like fig or pear with something savory and salty like cured ham.
    Are you aware of how silly this is?

If the contrast of the flavors tastes or feels good... Then they're complementary flavors.

I'm not arguing against contrast, I'm arguing against clashing. Things that do not go together being shoved together regardless.

So unless you are suggesting we eat steak tartar covered in Tobasco sauce as an ice cream topping paired with a mixture of Amarone and Coca-Cola...
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

The only way to be is to be a food descriptivist. Because food, like language, evolves.

No? Unless my culinary instructors were making a joke on me. They might have been.

If the contrast of the flavors tastes or feels good... Then they're complementary flavors.
    No....that's not how it works. Two things can contrast and still make something harmonious. Salt and Sweet are considered contrasting flavors in the culinary world.

I'm not arguing against contrast, I'm arguing against clashing. Things that do not go together being shoved together regardless.
    Clashing is a personal opinion more than anything.

So unless you are suggesting we eat steak tartar covered in Tobasco sauce as an ice cream topping paired with a mixture of Amarone and Coca-Cola...
    I don't know why you wouldn't eat steak tartar with a hot sauce. But this isn't even talking about contrasting flavors. This is just pure hyperbole that has no baring on any sort of conversation. This isn't a dish. This isn't anything someone would naturally make. This is you trying to make as absurd a concoction as you can to try and make the idea of actual contrasting flavors as extreme and silly as possible. This is as close to an equivocation as one can make and it's patently obvious.
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-10-24 at 03:55 AM.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

That was the point, yes.
    ...which is a matter of opinion. The argument "you can't eat those things together because I don't like them together" is really rude.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that most pineapple pizza (due to the excessive contrast) feels like you're eating pizza while eating pineapple, rather than eating pizza-with-pineapple. I find this weird, but not exactly bad; the few exceptions (that is, pineapple pizza that actually tastes coherent) I consider to be either amazing or awful.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-10-24 at 03:40 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

16. - Top - End - #256

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    ...which is a matter of opinion. The argument "you can't eat those things together because I don't like them together" is really rude.
    You can like whatever you want, but a bunch of people liking something doesn't change the fact that it's not good.

I mean, we all lived through that "romantic" series about an Ehebephilic vampire stalker written by a woman who thinks that having superpowers makes you so far above the law that there's nothing wrong with eating people, right? Or the follow-up, when a woman wrote a fanfic of that story then changed all of the names and someone managed to sell it despite it depicting rape and abuse as being okay?

Lots of people liked those books, even though they were objectively bad from artistic, literary, and just a general "do not depict toxic relationships as a good thing, no matter what your excuse is" sense.

Lots of people like Pineapple Pizza. That doesn't mean that the flavor and texture of pineapple don't clash with the traditional ingredients of a pizza enough that a lot of people, myself included, are sickened by it.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

You can like whatever you want, but a bunch of people liking something doesn't change the fact that it's not good.

I mean, we all lived through that "romantic" series about an Ehebephilic vampire stalker written by a woman who thinks that having superpowers makes you so far above the law that there's nothing wrong with eating people, right? Or the follow-up, when a woman wrote a fanfic of that story then changed all of the names and someone managed to sell it despite it depicting rape and abuse as being okay?

Lots of people liked those books, even though they were objectively bad from artistic, literary, and just a general "do not depict toxic relationships as a good thing, no matter what your excuse is" sense.

Lots of people like Pineapple Pizza. That doesn't mean that the flavor and texture of pineapple don't clash with the traditional ingredients of a pizza enough that a lot of people, myself included, are sickened by it.
    You're playing on two different meanings of the word "good", your arguments against Twilight and Fifty Shades of grey is that they aren't good (as in morally acceptable) despite people finding them good (as in enjoyable). However you are not making that argument for hawaiian pizza, you claim that it is not good (enjoyable) despite people finding it good (enjoyable).

You need to fart a little, and admit that taste is subjective and that what you enjoy is not more valid than what other people enjoy.

EDIT: Also why the hell would anybody care about the traditionnal ingredients of a pizza? The word's oldest recorded usage was in 997, and there certainly wasn't any tomato sauce on it back then.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-10-24 at 03:53 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

18. - Top - End - #258
    Titan in the Playground

I just think it's wild that we're now equating pineapple on pizza to people's choice of maybe problematic literature. That's probably a good sign to leave this. I only peek in here every now and then. This is why.

Also, before I head out. It's not parsley. It's basil that goes on a margarita pizza.
    Last edited by Razade; 2020-10-24 at 04:40 AM.

19. - Top - End - #259

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    You're playing on two different meanings of the word "good", your arguments against Twilight and Fifty Shades of grey is that they aren't good (as in morally acceptable) despite people finding them good (as in enjoyable). However you are not making that argument for hawaiian pizza, you claim that it is not good (enjoyable) despite people finding it good (enjoyable).

You need to fart a little, and admit that taste is subjective and that what you enjoy is not more valid than what other people enjoy.
    I'm sorry. I was trying to avoid certain keywords and comparisons that might offend people, and in doing so diluted my message.

Do note, however, that "moralities" was in no way part of my argument.

I've explained the science of why it doesn't work. People didn't care.

I mean, even the guy who invented Hawaiian pizza only made it for the novelty. He didn't think it would have been good.

Would posting the words of an acknowledged culinary expert sway opinion? BEcuase Gordon Ramsey has explained more than once why Pineapple on a Pizza doesn't work. I'm sure I can find one video that bleeps out the swear words.
    EDIT: Also why the hell would anybody care about the traditional ingredients of a pizza? The word's oldest recorded usage was in 997, and there certainly wasn't any tomato sauce on it back then.
    When people talk about pizza in a modern context, they're referring to something derived from pizza Marianna or Neapolitan pizza also, which are pizzas with mozzarella cheese and a sauce based on crushed tomatoes seasoned with olive oil, parsley, and garlic. For most people, anything else isn't real pizza.

And pineapple really doesn't go with those ingrediants.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2020-10-24 at 04:20 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm sorry. I was trying to avoid certain keywords and comparisons that might offend people, and in doing so diluted my message.
    ...Yet you still offended people.

I mean, that's fair, since we offended you first by bringing up the subject. Still, though...
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-10-24 at 04:25 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

I've explained the science of why it doesn't work. People didn't care.
    It's because, it's wrong. You cannot prove to people that they don't enjoy something they do, in fact, enjoy. Good or bad is not an objective property of a recipe, it's a matter of taste.

Would posting the words of an acknowledged culinary expert sway opinion? BEcuase Gordon Ramsey has explained more than once why Pineapple on a Pizza doesn't work. I'm sure I can find one video that bleeps out the swear words.
    No piling an argument from authority ontop of the appeal to tradition wouldn't help.

When people talk about pizza in a modern context, they're referring to something derived from pizza Marianna or Neapolitan pizza also, which are pizzas with mozzarella cheese and a sauce based on crushed tomatoes seasoned with olive oil, parsley, and garlic. For most people, anything else isn't real pizza.
    And that's completely arbitrary. Maybe in 1,000 years, pineapple will be considered an integral ingredient to pizza by most people.

There are no right or wrong way to enjoy food, that's the long and short of it.

And pineapple really doesn't go with those ingrediants.
    Say you. The opinion of people who enjoy pineapple on pizza is just as valid as yours. Because this is a purely subjective matter.
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #262

It's because, it's wrong. You cannot prove to people that they don't enjoy something they do, in fact, enjoy. Good or bad is not an objective property of a recipe, it's a matter of taste.
    I am not trying to prove to something that they don't enjoy what they enjoy.

Bartmanhomer asked why so many people hate pineapple pizza.

I explained the history of pineapple pizza and the culinary science of why it doesn't work. I've provided annecdotes(the fact that myself and others I know of actually get physically ill from the flavors.)

I have also offered to cite experts.

Taste is not subjective, unless you want to get into the argument that no two people can ever have identical experiences. Wine will always taste like wine. Coffee will always taste like coffee.

What is subjective is whether you enjoy that taste. Pineapple Pizza is clashing flavors. Some people, for reasons I can't begin to comprehend, enjoy that clash despite everything that culinary science tells us.

And other people literally become ill from it.

It's like how some people like things that taste bitter and other people don't. Liking something bitter doesn't make it not bitter.

Someone liking pineapple pizza doesn't make pineapple not clash with tomato sauce.

Honesly, if I can't answer a question without my reasoning being attacked until I get to the point where I have to pick and choose my words to avoid offending someone(and apparently fail) becuase my every other attempt to explain my reasoning has failed miserably than I don't know why I both.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

The problem is that instead of explaining why "many people don't like pineapple pizza" you explained why "pineapple pizza is objectively bad"

The reasons are the same, but the statements themselves are different.

Anyway, you still haven't defined what "clash" means, at least with any non-cyclical logic.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2020-10-24 at 05:00 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

24. - Top - End - #264

Anyway, you still haven't defined what "clash" means, at least with any non-cyclical logic.
    At this point, I don't think I have the words to explain it in a way that can make people understand.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

The problem is that instead of explaining why "many people don't like pineapple pizza" you explained why "pineapple pizza is objectively bad"

The reasons are the same, but the statements themselves are different.
    Yeah, I think that was the original problem.
    Forum Wisdom

26. - Top - End - #266

For what it's worth I don't really disagree with Rater, and think he's being fairly reasonable- the conversation just got heated with insults and such. Pineapples on Pizza is a conversation that DOES this to people, and there's no harm done as far as I'm concerned.

I still think it tastes good to me, because taste IS subjective, but I can see where Rater is coming from.

27. - Top - End - #267

For the record: The main reason people hate anchovies on pizza is becuase almost no place in America actually prepares them right.

Anchovie fillets are stored in salt and oil. You're supposed to rinse the excess oil and salt off, so that they're savory instead of salty and greasy, but a lot of American Pizzarias didn't get the memo and cook them in as-is.

The fact that pop culture 1: depicts anchovy pizzas as having tiny whole fish, heads and, presumably, bones and all instead of fillets and 2: Has spent decades having people react with disgust and throwing "hold the anchovies" into orders that logically wouldn't have had it in the first place. probably also has something to do with it, people aren't willing to try it based on pop culture expectations.

Hopefully his trivia proves less... Controversial.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #268

For the record: The main reason people hate anchovies on pizza is becuase almost no place in America actually prepares them right.

Anchovie fillets are stored in salt and oil. You're supposed to rinse the excess oil and salt off, so that they're savory instead of salty and greasy, but a lot of American Pizzarias didn't get the memo and cook them in as-is.

The fact that pop culture 1: depicts anchovy pizzas as having tiny whole fish, heads and, presumably, bones and all instead of fillets and 2: Has spent decades having people react with disgust and throwing "hold the anchovies" into orders that logically wouldn't have had it in the first place. probably also has something to do with it, people aren't willing to try it based on pop culture expectations.

Hopefully his trivia proves less... Controversial.
    I'm gonna be straight with you Rater I legitimately did not know anything you just said here. I actually just thought anchovies on pizza were deboned and descaled full fish just plopped on the pizza.

29. - Top - End - #269

BlackDragon

Speaking personally, I don't like pineapple on pizza, although for me it's more a textural thing than a taste one--I just don't like fruit juice bursting out when I'm eating something savoury. Hate currants in curry for the same reason. However, I'm certainly not going to say anyone is objectively wrong for liking that combination.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Anchovies on pizza are just as good as pineapple or prawns on pizza.

If we only define for by tradition and rules, does that mean I have to stop cooking curries? Because I like curry, but I don't make it in the traditional Indian style. Which surely means it's as bad and wrong as pineapple on pizza.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.