Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: What loss rate of starships would prevent interstellar shipping?

And when those societies fall behind they try to make it up via military conquest, and that's where we get our military space opera. Roger Mcbride Allen wrote one with that theme, and it was quite good.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    And when those societies fall behind they try to make it up via military conquest, and that's where we get our military space opera. Roger Mcbride Allen wrote one with that theme, and it was quite good.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "We can def take those more advanced and numerous opponents due to our Morale Superiority!"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #93

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    "We can def take those more advanced and numerous opponents due to our Morale Superiority!"
    Worked for Alexander against the Persians, and for Japan against Russia (1905) , and for 400 Conquistadores against the thousands of the Aztec Empire. But it takes more than morale superiority; the target society must have crippling issues of its own.

ETA: For that matter, small countries throwing large superpowers out was a feature of the 20th century. Numbers and technology are meaningless if one side has the will to fight and the other does not.

... of course, there have been plenty of other times when smaller nations have underestimated the fighting capacity of their larger neighbors and been horribly curb stomped. But it's those few times when it actually worked that keeps these incidents recurring over and over inhistory. Same reason everyone buys lottery tickets despite the fact that big winners are extremely rare.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Last edited by pendell; 2020-10-27 at 01:03 PM.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Worked for Alexander against the Persians, and for Japan against Russia (1905) , and for 400 Conquistadores against the thousands of the Aztec Empire. But it takes more than morale superiority; the target society must have crippling issues of its own.

ETA: For that matter, small countries throwing large superpowers out was a feature of the 20th century. Numbers and technology are meaningless if one side has the will to fight and the other does not.

... of course, there have been plenty of other times when smaller nations have underestimated the fighting capacity of their larger neighbors and been horribly curb stomped. But it's those few times when it actually worked that keeps these incidents recurring over and over inhistory. Same reason everyone buys lottery tickets despite the fact that big winners are extremely rare.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Agreed, but I think we should avoid elucidation.

I'm going to pick up that book you mentioned, seems like a good read. Are there followups or is it a one off?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

5. - Top - End - #95

Planetar

Agreed, but I think we should avoid elucidation.

I'm going to pick up that book you mentioned, seems like a good read. Are there followups or is it a one off?
    Torch of Honor, along with Rogue Powers, comprise a Two volume set: Allies and Aliens. This was later released As a single book .

In the first novel, a planet descended from just the kind of "doesn't play well with others" types you mention launch an interstellar invasion of a neighboring planet, hoping to make up for economic failure with military success. Our heroes oppose this attempt.

The second book follows directly from the first, in which an alien species makes contact with both combatants.

There's a fair amount of interesting SF in both stories, but it's old-school space opera, no question.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Roger Mcbride Allen
    I knew that name sounded familiar.
    Quote Originally Posted by truemane
    NEVER! I shall mod and drive and pick up dubious arachnid packages until the day I die!
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Troll in the Playground

Planets full of isolationist monoculures would probably become common. Once those are established and fall behind more progressive societies trade to get access to things they are inefficient at making or don't have the technology for would help prop the trade system up.
    And at least some of those progressive societies would try to actually make as many planets dependent on the traders as possible. So some Spacing Guild could form or an equivalent of Hansa.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    Well I got an answer for the original question and a book recommendation out of this thread. I declare this thread officially successful. Thank you pendell.
    Niven's Laws, #5
    If you've nothing to say, say it any way you like. Stylistic innovations, contorted story lines or none, exotic or genderless pronouns, internal inconsistencies, the recipe for preparing your lover as a cannibal banquet: feel free. If what you have to say is important and/or difficult to follow, use the simplest language possible. If the reader doesn't get it then, let it not be your fault.