New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Banned

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLI: Secondary Opinions

IG has little enough High AP with Ignores Cover that 2+ in cover is stupid hard to get through, not to mention a single Vexilia craps on their piles of BS4 models. Add to that even the heaviest weapons bouncing off 3++ and I dont see what Guard can currently do against Custodes. Used to be you could ally in heavier hitting stuff like a Castellan or bank on the point cost differences, but thats not so true these days.

Back to the rant though, the game at its core isn't bad. But at its core is the crying leftovers of 8th, bastardized into this ITC-lite shell for people who whined without realizing that listening to their whines would make the game suck. Boy Im sure all those Crusade campaigns being played right now make it all worth it though.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post

But we 'waited and saw' on Crusade and Pariah Nexus, the Space Marines and Necrons Codex is out. We see the template for Crusade, in actuality. No more potential, now. Actual.
    We know what Crusade is now. It's the best thing ever, right?
    ...RIGHT!?

But there are people playing games. Maybe not in massive tournaments. But they are playing in their homes. They are having 'Gatherings of up to 5 people in a private residence', etc. I mentioned earlier about a 'tournament' in my meta where a guy has 10 people over and they play a 'tournament' in his farm shed. People are absolutely playing games. Outside of 'postitive Codex review pre-order buy now week'; 'Real' people get their hands on the Codex and give their thoughts.

I've only ever bought the ETB 3-pack of Reivers for Kill Team.
    I have never, in my life, put a unit of Reivers on the board in a game of real 40K.
    They were the worst unit in the Codex in 8th Ed., and I'm pretty sure they're the worst unit in 9th Ed., too...Though if you call me on that I wouldn't be able to tell you what is the worst unit in the Codex, if not Reivers, off the top of my head. Rules bloat means that there are lots of good units in the Space Marine book, and there are lots of bad units, too.

How do I know that Reivers are bad if I've never used them?
    How could I possibly know!? That's not possible!

What we have, is the 'playtest crowd'. People who can't read good, who can't play games, deny what's happening because they haven't done it themselves, yet. Lots of these kinds of people are in the UK and the US and make up the largest markets, who both have rolling lockdowns. There are massive sections on the internet, who may or may not agree that the game is bad. But, they can't come out and positively say so one way or the other, because who knows? Maybe they'll have fun, despite the badness?
    ('A Fun Game' and 'A Good Game' are not the same thing, but a lot of people will say Fun and Good are the same thing, but then also refuse to accept that Winning Is Fun.)

The game is neither good nor bad 'until they play it for themselves'. But they want the game to be good, despite not being able to play it.

(I don't need to drink bleach 'for myself' to agree that it's probably a bad idea to do so, but here we are.)

Part of the problem is that they don't, though.
    Have you actually played in a Crusade league? We still haven't been able to play games, not on a league level anyways, here where I live.

It is much more limited. I've only really played one person since last March and that's it. So we haven't been able to explore what Crusade is like or anything along those lines. I know other places like Australia have been able to play more, but is is quite different here.

As for Imperial Guard, they can spam Heavy Weapon teams and various tanks. They aren't lacking for options when it comes to heavy weapons, that's for sure.
    Last edited by Forum Explorer; 2020-12-01 at 08:49 PM.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't been able to play at all. I'm going to exclusively play Crusade with buddies. Any sort of league that I've attempted to run or play in has been garbage, so I'm not chancing anything with strangers this time.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    As for Imperial Guard, they can spam Heavy Weapon teams and various tanks. They aren't lacking for options when it comes to heavy weapons, that's for sure.
    HWTs have BS4, in a world with Obscuring and Dense that means BS5 to be able to see at all, and with a Vexilia thats a 6+ to hit. On top of those sucky odds, Custodes with a 2+ in cover save on 3s vs anything but lascannons, and on 4s vs lascannons on the odd chance they get hit, then wounded.

Tanks likewise have 4+ because HQ slots are now less common, so commanders arent so ubiquitous. One bracket later they become useless, and if they get tagged they cant shoot into melee because blast.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    HWTs have BS4, in a world with Obscuring and Dense that means BS5 to be able to see at all, and with a Vexilia thats a 6+ to hit. On top of those sucky odds, Custodes with a 2+ in cover save on 3s vs anything but lascannons, and on 4s vs lascannons on the odd chance they get hit, then wounded.

Tanks likewise have 4+ because HQ slots are now less common, so commanders arent so ubiquitous. One bracket later they become useless, and if they get tagged they cant shoot into melee because blast.
    Penalties don't stack. At worst, it's a 5+ to hit. And with a strat, you can give a HWT +1 to hit and wound.

Basilisks and the like are really nice since they ignore all LoS effects, and are AP -3. Similarly Manticores, but those are more expensive. I actually think Basilisks are better than Leman Russes right now cause of the nearly 30 point gap at minimum. I'm not sure how good fully loaded Leman Russes are, but that's an option too. But I think that's worse than just taking the Heavy Weapon Teams and Basilisks.

Yes, the Vexilia is a problem, but you're Imperium. Bring Assassins. Or if you insist on playing pure Guard, spam Ratlings. They aren't good, but they are cheap. And with the new rules on how penalties to hit work, you can move up, shoot, and scurry back out of LoS and still be hitting on a 4+.

Tagging is a problem, but it always was. If you're playing Guard, you need a way to prevent it unless you are up against Tau.

Don't get me wrong, it's a tough match for Guard, but they've got the tools they need to win.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Banned

Penalties don't stack. At worst, it's a 5+ to hit. And with a strat, you can give a HWT +1 to hit and wound.
    So you go first. Run around and try to land xd6 shots on 5s like it matters, then try to wound on 4s at best, and what little sticks gets saved on 3s. All to get what, 1 model?

Then on their turn you're banking on T3 models with no inv and a 5+ save to stand against Custodes firepower. Sure thing.

Basilisks and the like are really nice since they ignore all LoS effects
    No, they still get screwed by Dense

, and are AP -3. Similarly Manticores, but those are more expensive
    So it goes back to 4+, or 3+ for the ones with shields. On a BS4 platform so thats again on 5s with a random number of shots to begin with. Meanwhile a BS2 Ares or one of the FW tanks or a dread can blow it up next turn.

Yes, the Vexilia is a problem, but you're Imperium. Bring Assassins
    Vindicares ignore invulnerables... but are shooting at 1+ save models. The melee ones aren't even worth mentioning. What psychic powers is the Culexus protecting you from?

Don't get me wrong, it's a tough match for Guard, but they've got the tools they need to win.
    In so far as it is possible due to dice existing sure. Its not a reasonable expectation if your opponent isnt a potato though, and this sort of whisful magical land thinking is what keeps people from realizing the issues with their faction

7. - Top - End - #487
    Titan in the Playground

So you go first. Run around and try to land xd6 shots on 5s like it matters, then try to wound on 4s at best, and what little sticks gets saved on 3s. All to get what, 1 model?

Then on their turn you're banking on T3 models with no inv and a 5+ save to stand against Custodes firepower. Sure thing.

No, they still get screwed by Dense

So it goes back to 4+, or 3+ for the ones with shields. On a BS4 platform so thats again on 5s with a random number of shots to begin with. Meanwhile a BS2 Ares or one of the FW tanks or a dread can blow it up next turn.

Vindicares ignore invulnerables... but are shooting at 1+ save models. The melee ones aren't even worth mentioning. What psychic powers is the Culexus protecting you from?

In so far as it is possible due to dice existing sure. Its not a reasonable expectation if your opponent isnt a potato though, and this sort of whisful magical land thinking is what keeps people from realizing the issues with their faction
    Why 4s to wound? Do Custodes have an aura of -1 to wound I'm unaware of? I know they've got a Transhuman ability, but you just switch targets when they pop that. And it depends on the faction. Either 5+ rerolling 1s, or rerolling everything with an order, or you do Skilled Gunners so it's XD6, rerolling. With Basilisks that's 2D6, take the highest, reroll the lowest. You should average something like 5 shots with that combo.

The Guardsmen are chaff. They are there to perform actions, hold objectives, and screen out charges. They can die all they want, they don't matter besides that.

For that matter, how are your hypothetical Custodes always in cover? The Custodes are a lot shorter range, and will need to move up if they actually want to do damage. Regardless, yeah, a 4+ isn't that great of a save, keep hammering them and picking them off. And if they are in Cover, then they don't get Dense. Which also, if you are unable to draw a line to hit without crossing Dense no matter what target you're choosing, than you have too much terrain on the table.

Can't see the Basilisks, they are behind Obstructing, where they will sit all game because they don't need to move. Or you can go full hog wild on the things and run 9 of them. That's only 1125 points so still plenty of room for a bunch of Guardsmen, Yarrik to give the Basilisks reroll 1s, twenty Ratlings because why not (there's lots of reasons why not), a Vindicare, and still have 150 points left over.

I'd probably go with Vindicares, yeah. Which also ignore Cover btw, so the Custodes would get a 5+ save only against them. But I used the general term, cause if you are running an assassin, you are likely keeping it general and using a strat to swap which assassin you need per game. Actually, I can't remember. If there any reason you can't just run 3 Vindicares if you wanted? I don't even think that would be a bad choice. Fill up your elites with Vindicares and a Culexus to mess with their CP, and pop D3 mortals on someone later.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

8. - Top - End - #488
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Have you actually played in a Crusade league? We still haven't been able to play games, not on a league level anyways, here where I live.
    It lasted a month. It was more a case of 'New Edition, New Army', than that we wanted to try out Crusade. I attempted Deathwatch - of course.
    Beyond the Veil didn't add anything great.
    The 'campaign' was broken before it started.

Heavy Weapons Teams...Maybe.

Tanks? No.
    More than 11 Wounds, no Invulnerable, no ignore Wounds.
    Vertus Praetors pick up Bring it Down, and introduce all the Leman Russes to Salvo Missiles.
    Thanks for playing.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

It lasted a month. It was more a case of 'New Edition, New Army', than that we wanted to try out Crusade. I attempted Deathwatch - of course.
    Beyond the Veil didn't add anything great.
    The 'campaign' was broken before it started.

Heavy Weapons Teams...Maybe.

Tanks? No.
    More than 11 Wounds, no Invulnerable, no ignore Wounds.
    Vertus Praetors pick up Bring it Down, and introduce all the Leman Russes to Salvo Missiles.
    Thanks for playing.
    How so? What made it so broken right from the get go?

I'd have to play more games to see, but I get the feeling Guard is one of those armies that do better if you just accept that Bring it Down will give up a ton of points and just load up on as many tanks as you want. Though I really really want to try Astropaths doing Psychic Ritual and being guarded by Ogryn Bodyguards. And that's who denies things cover. But they've got to get within 18 inches of their target, but an Astropath along plasma veterans would be a nice anti-Custodes unit.

Mind you, I feel like the army that really just slams Guard into the ground is Harlequins. Super fast, strong melee with tons of attacks, plus lots of melta and haywire weapons? And that's before you get into basically everything having a -1 to hit and having a 4++.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

10. - Top - End - #490
    Banned

Why 4s to wound? Do Custodes have an aura of -1 to wound I'm unaware of? I know they've got a Transhuman ability, but you just switch targets when they pop that. And it depends on the faction. Either 5+ rerolling 1s, or rerolling everything with an order, or you do Skilled Gunners so it's XD6, rerolling. With Basilisks that's 2D6, take the highest, reroll the lowest. You should average something like 5 shots with that combo.
    Yeah, transhuman. Low model count even on their big ass bases means the available targets aren't plentiful enough for picking and choosing, of course considering your oponent isn't potato and deploys using their brain.

The Guardsmen are chaff. They are there to perform actions, hold objectives, and screen out charges. They can die all they want, they don't matter besides that.
    HWTs also have chaff stats and they are the one thing that can actually wound Custodes with a prayer of bringing them down.

For that matter, how are your hypothetical Custodes always in cover?
    Because by the time they leave cover the hypothetical weapon teams suffer critical existence failure. Alpha Strike is the only strike that matters.

The Custodes are a lot shorter range, and will need to move up if they actually want to do damage.
    Plenty of Custodes weapons are rapid fire or assault, since they are aiming at poor save, T3 models they dont depends on heavy weapons as much as IG does so moving isnt problematic. Also BS2. Also, Dreads and Flying Tanks and Flying Bikes.

Regardless, yeah, a 4+ isn't that great of a save, keep hammering them and picking them off. And if they are in Cover, then they don't get Dense. Which also, if you are unable to draw a line to hit without crossing Dense no matter what target you're choosing, than you have too much terrain on the table.
    But you will always slam into the vexilia aura so between both there is a high chance the Basilisks are hitting on 5s.

Can't see the Basilisks, they are behind Obstructing, where they will sit all game because they don't need to move.
    Do remember Custodes have the same 'within 1d6+3' deepstrike that Callidus assasins have. Also, flying Jetbikes. Also, Basilisks cant shoot into melee because of Blast.

Or you can go full hog wild on the things and run 9 of them. That's only 1125 points so still plenty of room for a bunch of Guardsmen, Yarrik to give the Basilisks reroll 1s, twenty Ratlings because why not (there's lots of reasons why not), a Vindicare, and still have 150 points left over.
    Other than free secondary VPs, 9 basilisks and chaff means you auto-lose on primaries.

I'd probably go with Vindicares, yeah. Which also ignore Cover btw, so the Custodes would get a 5+ save only against them. But I used the general term, cause if you are running an assassin, you are likely keeping it general and using a strat to swap which assassin you need per game. Actually, I can't remember. If there any reason you can't just run 3 Vindicares if you wanted? I don't even think that would be a bad choice. Fill up your elites with Vindicares and a Culexus to mess with their CP, and pop D3 mortals on someone later

The strat covers 1 assassin, but its not as general as it was, got changed. Regardless, both of you can do it and seeing an eversor slam into guardsman is much funnier than seeing him try to do the same against Custodes

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The fact that it's 40K without Points?
    It's still the same game!

The Core Functionality of the game is busted:
    First Turn is best turn,
    Terrain still doesn't matter, except when it does,
    Blast and unit coherency rules still exist
    Providing XP/buffs to good units makes better units, providing buffs to bad units, makes mediocre units.

Nothing changes!
    The problem with 40K, is the rulebook. I don't know how I can make that any more clear.
    Nothing GW does, no expansion that doesn't alter how the game is played, will ever change anything.

Only Errata and Chapter Approved changes anything; "This rule is ****, we changed it.", "This is broken, so we added a new rule."
    Unfortunately, apparently GW only does Errata after sales die down. So that's cool.

The only difference between Crusade and any other normal functioning army, is that you, as an individual, have slightly more investment into your army because they're Your Dudes. However, I'm me. I couldn't give a **** about your Crusade army, because it isn't My Crusade Army. Maybe, maybe you have a creative person in your meta who can write up a page of storyline after each of their games...Maybe...Which can keep their investment in other players' armies because they still remember what's going on. But that's if you're lucky...And it's only one guy who manages to maintain investment.

I understand how this is supposed to work; You and all your friends get together and create a storyline and a few memes. The beer flows smoothly and the pretzels are crunchy without being too salty. Outside of that, if everyone isn't invested, it falls apart just like every other campaign you've played where everything falls apart because people lose investment.

"My army is brave. So my unit of Intercessors can't fail Morale! This is my narrative of my brave, stalwart Space Marines. Defenders of Humanity, indeed."
    "This is my unit of Stalker Bolt Rifle Intercessors, they can stay in Devastator Doctrine all game, every game, because their Captain told them not to be dumb and let them be autonomous and make their own decisions. Delegation is a true sign of leadership."

Same unit. Same XP table. Both players forge a narrative...One narrative is bad.

The only way Crusade works, is if you force people to roll their upgrades, rather than pick-and-choose their XP upgrades. Otherwise players have no reason to not pick the best upgrade every time.

Mind you, I feel like the army that really just slams Guard into the ground is Harlequins.
    Guard are at the bottom tables.
    Their Vehicles are not durable enough, their Infantry are not durable enough. Everything they are about, is currently out of the meta. Makes sense. Because if a design goal of 9th is to remove Guard from the top tables, then job's a good'un.

They can pick up a few Secondary Objectives easily enough. But they give away extremely easy Kill Points, and their impotent durability means that they can't survive through their opponent's turn to score Primary Objectives Tiebreaker Points.

Thought Experiment:

Start Collecting! Militarum Tempestus "One of the best boxes in 8th Ed."
    3 - Tempestor Prime

3 - MT Scions (x5)

3 - MT Command Squad (x4; *Two Special Weapons available of each kind only*)
    2 - Commissar

6 - Taurox Prime

Total: 17 Power

'One Box of Custodes'
    7 - Shield-Captain

11 - Custodian Guard (x4)

Total: 18 Power. Storm Shields are free, of course. Wouldn't mind changing one of the Guard to a Vexillus, for -1 to hit ('cause Banners are free, 'cause Power). But a Vexillus is +6 Power Rating.
    ...Still, it'd only be 5 models all out of the same box.

Point is, Custodes in 9th are what Grey Knights were in 5th. They are exactly what the meta calls for.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2020-12-02 at 10:51 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, transhuman. Low model count even on their big ass bases means the available targets aren't plentiful enough for picking and choosing, of course considering your oponent isn't potato and deploys using their brain.

HWTs also have chaff stats and they are the one thing that can actually wound Custodes with a prayer of bringing them down.

Because by the time they leave cover the hypothetical weapon teams suffer critical existence failure. Alpha Strike is the only strike that matters.

Plenty of Custodes weapons are rapid fire or assault, since they are aiming at poor save, T3 models they dont depends on heavy weapons as much as IG does so moving isnt problematic. Also BS2. Also, Dreads and Flying Tanks and Flying Bikes.

But you will always slam into the vexilia aura so between both there is a high chance the Basilisks are hitting on 5s.

Do remember Custodes have the same 'within 1d6+3' deepstrike that Callidus assasins have. Also, flying Jetbikes. Also, Basilisks cant shoot into melee because of Blast.

Other than free secondary VPs, 9 basilisks and chaff means you auto-lose on primaries.

The strat covers 1 assassin, but its not as general as it was, got changed. Regardless, both of you can do it and seeing an eversor slam into guardsman is much funnier than seeing him try to do the same against Custodes
    Yeah, talking about it, I'd say Basilisks are a much better choice than HWT. Perhaps not the silly idea of taking 9 of them, but I could certainly see 6 + 1 Manitcore. They also can Alpha Strike freely, while Custodes would struggle with getting range on most things.

Since we're now getting into specifics, I decided to look at an actual list to see how much anti-tank Custodes actually bring. The list I used was the one found in this Goonhammer article. And going by that, it's reasonable for 6 Basilisks, +1 Manticore to actually wipe out all of the shooting anti-tank turn 1, even with the -1 to hit. Though the Transhuman would mess with that a fair bit to be fair.

And going second would be really bad, I feel like that Custodes list would only reliably kill two tanks back (it takes about 3D6 to reliably kill a tank, and getting at least one failed hit/wound is reasonable among the 6 shots, even with rerolls), and would lose the -1 to hit in order to do so.

Holding Objectives is the hard part, for sure. Yeah, you've got some 90 Guardsmen to do so, but it is very much a game of hoping you have more bodies than they have bullets. Which is actually pretty much the case. Put 20 Guardsmen on an objective, and it'll likely hold against Custodes shooting at least. They only have 2 shots per model after all, and only if they are within 12 inches. Melee is a different game, but it is very much a game of lasting long enough to allow your artillery to kill them.

The 1D6+3 deep strike just slams into guardsmen. And I'd want them to take Eversors. Guardsmen can actually kill those with their Lasguns.

The fact that it's 40K without Points?
    It's still the same game!

The Core Functionality of the game is busted:
    First Turn is best turn,
    Terrain still doesn't matter, except when it does,
    Blast and unit coherency rules still exist
    Providing XP/buffs to good units makes better units, providing buffs to bad units, makes mediocre units.

Nothing changes!
    The problem with 40K, is the rulebook. I don't know how I can make that any more clear.
    Nothing GW does, no expansion that doesn't alter how the game is played, will ever change anything.

Only Errata and Chapter Approved changes anything; "This rule is ****, we changed it.", "This is broken, so we added a new rule."
    Unfortunately, apparently GW only does Errata after sales die down. So that's cool.

The only difference between Crusade and any other normal functioning army, is that you, as an individual, have slightly more investment into your army because they're Your Dudes. However, I'm me. I couldn't give a **** about your Crusade army, because it isn't My Crusade Army. Maybe, maybe you have a creative person in your meta who can write up a page of storyline after each of their games...Maybe...Which can keep their investment in other players' armies because they still remember what's going on. But that's if you're lucky...And it's only one guy who manages to maintain investment.

I understand how this is supposed to work; You and all your friends get together and create a storyline and a few memes. The beer flows smoothly and the pretzels are crunchy without being too salty. Outside of that, if everyone isn't invested, it falls apart just like every other campaign you've played where everything falls apart because people lose investment.

"My army is brave. So my unit of Intercessors can't fail Morale! This is my narrative of my brave, stalwart Space Marines. Defenders of Humanity, indeed."
    "This is my unit of Stalker Bolt Rifle Intercessors, they can stay in Devastator Doctrine all game, every game, because their Captain told them not to be dumb and let them be autonomous and make their own decisions. Delegation is a true sign of leadership."

Same unit. Same XP table. Both players forge a narrative...One narrative is bad.

The only way Crusade works, is if you force people to roll their upgrades, rather than pick-and-choose their XP upgrades. Otherwise players have no reason to not pick the best upgrade every time.

Guard are at the bottom tables.
    Their Vehicles are not durable enough, their Infantry are not durable enough. Everything they are about, is currently out of the meta. Makes sense. Because if a design goal of 9th is to remove Guard from the top tables, then job's a good'un.

They can pick up a few Secondary Objectives easily enough. But they give away extremely easy Kill Points, and their impotent durability means that they can't survive through their opponent's turn to score Primary Objectives Tiebreaker Points.

Thought Experiment:

Point is, Custodes in 9th are what Grey Knights were in 5th. They are exactly what the meta calls for.
    Besides it's without points, yes. I've always been fully planning on converting it from Power to Points anyways.

So it does sound like it needs an organizer in order to actually work. Also fine, because we need one of those for a league anyways. I suppose mandating that people roll for level ups is very much an honor system, but I'm confident the players in my meta wouldn't abuse that.

And the missions pretty much just play the same then? I've played a few Crusade missions and found them to be sometimes very weird in their scoring.

I agree that Guard are low tier, and it is much much harder to make a competitive Guard list than it is a Custodes list. But that's why I'm interested in doing so. Mind you, I'm just writing lists geared to fight Custodes, and I acknowledge that Custodes could gear up a lot harder against Imperal Guard than the Guard can against them. An actual all-comers list to bring to a tournament is a different kettle of fish. Though I suspect Basilisks and Manticores are just one of the best options right now. That, and just putting 100 Guardsmen on the board. That still leaves you with about 500 points to play with too. I'm thinking a bunch of assassins, but I'm not 100% on that one.

Gotta admit though, this conversation is starting to depress me. It's hammering in how long it is until I can actually play a game again. All these calculations and thoughts aren't going to matter, cause at this rate Guard or Custodes are going to get a new Codex before I can actually play in a tournament.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yeah, talking about it, I'd say Basilisks are a much better choice than HWT. Perhaps not the silly idea of taking 9 of them, but I could certainly see 6 + 1 Manitcore. They also can Alpha Strike freely, while Custodes would struggle with getting range on most things.
    Most people don't have what it takes to win.
    Most people aren't willing to do what it takes to win.
    6 Basilisks is right up there.

As I said...If you're a Custodes player, and you buy literally nothing but Custodian Guard and Dawneagle Jetbikes, you're good.
    "I like Custodes. They're cheap(ish; in currency) and expensive (in points). I can get to 2000 Points quickly and start playing games with my friends by buying the same two boxes over and over and over again. I've even got Shield-Captains and Vexillas out of the same boxes!"
    Ooops. My army is accidentally good and my friends wont play with me...They've also spent two-three(-four?) times as much money as I have on this game. What did I do wrong?

My friend can't play with me unless he explicitly buys six Basilisks just to deal with me.

And the missions pretty much just play the same then? I've played a few Crusade missions and found them to be sometimes very weird in their scoring.
    Once again, each almost all Missions score at the start of your turn. So durable units are required to last through your opponent's turn if you want to score Points. The counter-meta is that you need to alpha strike hard-as-nails to bypass that durability to prevent your opponent from scoring. So, the game is built around alpha striking your opponent. Armies that can survive an alpha strike, do better. Nothing has changed.

Secondary Objectives Agendas:
    Agendas, mechanically, are almost identical to Secondary Objectives. But they don't award VPs, which means they don't actually help you win the game. In Crusade, the Mission Objective is the Primary Objective. That's what wins the game. Great. Good Job. You based the game around Objectives and board control. There are no Secondary Objectives. The way to win the game is to leave your DZ. So far, so good.

How can we **** this up?

Agendas award XP.
    XP gives a unit bonuses.
    The best bonuses are those ones tied to durability and killpower, because those are what wins games.
    Therefore, strong units that rack XP quickly and easily (e.g. Devastators) get stronger, faster, allowing them to kill off weaker units.

Out of Action:
    Devastating Blows and Battle Scars:
    If one of your units gets destroyed during a game, there's a chance that they get ruined. The least-bad effect, is that they lose D6 XP, and don't gain any XP from the game you just played.

Crusade strongly encourages you to not have bad units that get destroyed.
    Conversely, you are strongly encouraged to take strong units that blast the **** out of your opponents units - especially the good ones.

We're back to the standard game loop: Alpha strike hard-as-nails and try and survive Alpha Strikes.

We also see a very, very disturbing trend, and probably why Crusade campaigns fizzle out:

Winners win. Losers lose.

Once losers realise that they have no incentive to keep playing, why keep playing?

Besides it's without points, yes. I've always been fully planning on converting it from Power to Points anyways.
    Unfortunately, it's like Kill Team with its Roster system. The system has to be based around Power Rating, or the 'Roster System' can't work.
    If the Roster system can't work, you can't tailor to your opponent.
    If you can't tailor to your opponent; Winners win, losers lose.

If you are using the Roster system...Pay to win, I guess.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2020-12-03 at 01:02 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

How to Play Crusade
    Learn to Like Bookkeeping

Order of Battle. Your Order of Battle starts at 50 PR, and increases as you play (and win) games. If you don't play (and win) games, you wont get more stuff.
    Supply Limit. Get extra units.
    Requisition Points. Get extra stuff on your units.

Abilities that a unit selects before the battle (e.g; Warlord Traits, Psychic Powers, Relics, etc.) are permanent. Don't choose wrong. It's not like the game forces you to pick out the best stuff. But, if you pick out bad stuff, you're stuck with it forever. So, don't stress out or anything...I said don't stress.

Experience.
    - A unit gains +1 XP every time you take a unit in a game.
    - A unit gains +1 XP every time it destroys an enemy unit...Take good units that can do this. Units get more XP for destroying models. Not for holding Objectives. Think about it.
    - Each Battle just give any unit you want +3 XP. They don't have to have done anything. Just give it to 'em.

Choose a number of Agendas according to the Mission size. You can't choose an Agenda from the same category twice.
    Agenda Tallies are reset to 0 after a Battle.

Purge the Enemy
    Assassins. A unit gains +1 XP for each two CHARACTERS it destroys.

Priority Target. A unit gains +1 XP for each two MONSTERS or VEHICLES it destroys.

Titan Hunter. A unit gains +4 XP for each TITANIC unit it destroys. (+1 XP for destroying a unit, +1 XP for being part of the game = +6. Taking Titans is like giving your opponents free level ups. So be cool and play Titans. Your opponents will love you for it.)

King Slayer. A unit gains +3 XP for destroying a Warlord. Not a great Agenda, since only one unit can score it per game. But you know you can score it every game.

No Mercy, No Respite
    First Strike. A unit gains +1 XP for each unit it destroys in the first Round of a Battle. Very low-earning Agenda. Do not use.

Cull the Hordes. A unit gains +1 XP each time it destroys six or more models in a single phase. Thanks for playing.

Reaper. The unit in your army that destroys the most enemy units in the game, gains +2 XP. Garbage. Only one unit can achieve it per game. But, that unit can potentially gain 6+ XP for destroying that many units +2, so that's a nice level up in a single game.

Battlefield Supremacy.
    Sentinel. At the start of your first turn, pick a unit, pick an Objective. At the end of the game, if that unit, is holding that Objective, the unit gains +4 XP. Your opponent just unloads everything they can into that unit, right? Not only do you not get the XP, but your unit potentially gains negative XP for going OoA. And, once again, only one unit gets this XP per game.

Breakthrough. At the end of the game, choose three units wholly within 6" of your opponent's board edge. They each gain +2 XP.

Survivor. At the start of your first turn, pick a unit. That unit gains +4 XP if it's alive at the end of the game. Or, it only gains +2 XP if it's under half-strength. Like Sentinel (above), but your unit isn't forced into being on a particular spot on the board.

Shadow Operations
    Secure the Area. An INFANTRY unit gains +1 XP each time it performs an Action [End of Move phase to End of Turn] in the centre of the board.

Search for Archeotech. An INFANTRY unit gains +3 XP if performs an Action [End of Move phase to End of Turn] in your opponent's DZ, twice during the game.

Deploy Vox-Relays. Choose an INFANTRY unit after Deployment but before the first turn. That unit can perform an Action [End of Move phase to End of Turn] on an Objective. The unit gains +2 XP for each Vox'd Objective at the end of the game. An enemy unit destroys a Vox when it controls an Objective.

Recover Mission Archives. One INFANTRY, BIKER or CAVALRY unit can perform an Action [End of your Move phase to Start of Your Next Turn] on an Objective Marker per turn; The same Objective Marker can't be searched twice in a game. At the end of the game, roll a D6; If the result is equal to or less than the number of times you performed this Action, or, if you performed this Action on every Objective in the Mission, one unit of your choice that participated in the Actions, gains +6 XP.
    **** yeah. I did the Action four times! Rolls a '5'. ...Oh cool I get nothing.

Warpcraft
    Witch Hunter. +1 XP for destroying a PSYKER. Gain +3 XP instead if the Psyker was a CHARACTER. You should play Grey Knights and give all your friends free XP.

Lord of the Warp. The unit in your army that manifests the most Powers, Denies the Witch, or performs Psychic Actions (cumulative), gains +2 XP.

Scry Battle Plans. Psychic Action (WC4). +5 XP if you perform the Action within 18" of an enemy CHARACTER every two times.

Out of Action.
    If a unit is destroyed, at the end of the game, roll a 1. That unit eats ****. Choose one:
    - Lose D6 XP, and don't gain any XP from participating the game you just played.
    - Or, the unit becomes bad. Just delete it off your Order of Battle, and recycle the unit. Don't know why you would choose this. But some metas actually force it. And then wonder why nobody wants to play anymore when half their units are garbage.

So:
    Take units that are really good. They'll earn XP the fastest. Remember, you get +1 XP just for destroying an enemy unit. So a good unit might very well have +6 XP before the end of the first game. Before you even factor in Objectives. Remember to hand out your +3 XP wisely. The better your units become, the better they are. Start strong; Finish strong - as they say. Sometimes, a unit might get too good. That is, their upgrades increase their Power Rating, and now you're over your Supply Limit. Simple. Delete the unit off of your Order of Battle and start again...After all, if it starts out as a strong unit, there shouldn't be any problems 'resetting' it, because it will quickly get good again...Probably after a single game.

Take units that don't die. A unit that doesn't die, is less likely to lose XP and gain Battle Scars and become next-to-worthless.

Q. If my army is ****, and has few Crusade Points and my opponent's is really good and has a lot of Crusade Points...Will extra CPs actually help?
    A. Depends how far ahead of you they are. But doubtful. As always, Stratagems make good units, better. If your units are bad, being able to play extra Stratagems during the game is unlikely to help.

TL;DR. Take strong, durable units. If you play 40K, nothing has changed. The meta is the same. But also now way worse.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2020-12-03 at 04:51 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

15. - Top - End - #495
    Banned

Remember this is supposed to be 500 points:

https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...60/unknown.png

16. - Top - End - #496
    Troll in the Playground

Crusade has been great, I'm playing in a league with some friends that has gone for about two months now.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Remember this is supposed to be 500 points
    It's also not real models. Not only is abusing a known exploit of Summoning not in the spirit of the game, but abusing the fact that you're not using real models, is even worse.
    Also, you broke Crusade deliberately. You set out to do that. And when you were told not to do that, you immediately ran out of ideas. So I'm not sure what you proved on that one. That Summoning was broken in Narrative Games? ...Like I said; Known exploit.

A game isn't broken unless you can do it by accident. Which, don't get me wrong, you can. Because Crusade is still 40K, and they use the same rules. Even the Agendas are basically just copy-pasted Secondaries that still encourage just tabling your opponent (seriously, go check the Space Marines' Codex). If it's broken at the top; It's cracked all the way down.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

My off the cuff read of crusade;

-Power Level is necessary for Rosters, but will inevitably lead to more balance issues. It also changes how you're incentivized to load out your units, which might lead to people not having the optimal build available to them if your metagame is hardline WYSIWYG

-While GW may be trying to push the idea that you don't need to be in a league/campaign to play crusade, you kind of do, because why should I care/believe your units are the way they are.

-The internal balance of crusade upgrades is borderline non-existant. People who make certain fluffy choices will be at a major disadvantage against those who chose for pure efficiency (or happened to choose the best options because they liked those). I'm not sure this is a huge issue because a lot of the good/bad choices are obvious, and most people want their special narrative units to be badasses, but this does mean you can get screwed over by "trap" options, as well as...

-The haves vs. have-nots of codex/supplement-specific crusade options is even more painful than the lack of unique secondary objectives for 8th edition codexes, because you're also missing bespoke upgrades. So Marines can give any unit they want the ability to choose it's own doctrine and keep their "super-doctrine" active if applicable*, and other armies get... nothing.

-Using command points to correct for imbalances is... dubious. Especially if things start to snowball.

-It's still 9th edition 40k, with all its current issues.

*Because unlike every other rule that allows you to change what doctrine is active for a unit, Centurio Studs let you pretend that doctorine is active for the entire army, and thus can activate such things. So Sanguinary Guard can get -1 AP and +1 Attack. Forever.

That's not to say you and your friends can't have fun with it. But one competitive player can throw things off for everyone else, and there's always the landmines of someone just liking the best stuff.
    Last edited by Squark; 2020-12-03 at 12:03 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Power Level is necessary for Rosters, but will inevitably lead to more balance issues. It also changes how you're incentivized to load out your units, which might lead to people not having the optimal build available to them if your metagame is hardline WYSIWYG
    Correct. The instant you change a unit's wargear, that actually costs an RP. Or, it loses all XP and 'counts as' a new/fresh unit. So you shouldn't be switching wargear, which causes someone who can read, to just take the best stuff from day dot.

While GW may be trying to push the idea that you don't need to be in a league/campaign to play crusade, you kind of do, because why should I care/believe your units are the way they are.
    Correct again.

The internal balance of crusade upgrades is borderline non-existant. People who make certain fluffy choices will be at a major disadvantage against those who chose for pure efficiency (or happened to choose the best options because they liked those). I'm not sure this is a huge issue because a lot of the good/bad choices are obvious...
    It is a huge issue, because with 9th Ed. the way it is, the rules of the game funnel you into a certain playstyle. Certain playstyles achieve Agendas and win games, earning RP and XP.

Don't like that playstyle? Or maybe you just happen to like the wrong units? After all, this is Narrative, take what you like, right? It's your story.
    You don't win games, earning less RP.
    You don't achieve Agendas, earning less XP.

Yeah. You can 'fix' your Roster by spending RP. But why would you need to fix anything if it was good in the first place? The player in your meta who hasn't made bad choices - on purpose or by accident - is spending their RP adding PR and extra Warlord Traits and Relics to their Crusade list.

Remember, in Crusade, you can have as many Warlord Traits and Relics on the board as you want. As long as, at some point in time, you paid an RP to get that Relic or Warlord Trait on your list. I hope you can trust people.

The haves vs. have-nots of codex/supplement-specific crusade options is even more painful than the lack of unique secondary objectives for 8th edition codexes, because you're also missing bespoke upgrades. So Marines can give any unit they want the ability to choose it's own doctrine and keep their "super-doctrine" active if applicable*, and other armies get... nothing.
    I mean, that's a temporary problem. I'll admit that it's a problem. But it's not one that doesn't go away eventually.

Using command points to correct for imbalances is... dubious. Especially if things start to snowball.
    Correct. Rubber Band Mechanics only work if everyone is more-or-less the same. Which they're not.

It's still 9th edition 40k, with all its current issues.
    I think it's worse.
    Mission Objectives are the only way to win games. There are no Secondary Objectives. There is only one way to win games. Winning games earns faster RP. More RP means more stuff.
    The way XP works, only reinforces that playstyle. Destroying your opponent's units is the fastest way to earn XP. Having your units destroyed, potentially loses them XP.

Forge a Narrative, but also play to win. Also play to earn XP.
    You don't have to Forge a Bad Narrative.

That's not to say you and your friends can't have fun with it.
    1. Do I roll my Battle Honours, or can I pick? Why don't I just pick the best ones?

2a. Do I roll my Battle Scars, or can I pick? Why don't I just pick the least bad one? 'Cause if I can pick my Battle Scars, I'll take the -1 Crusade Point if it makes no difference.
    2b. If I roll a Battle Scar, and it makes the unit unplayable, what's to stop me from just deleting the unit and picking up a new one?
    2c. If my unit is 'really good' and I've spent RP on them, or they're BH 3 or whatever, why wouldn't I just choose to lose XP, instead of rolling a Battle Scar?

But one competitive player can throw things off for everyone else
    One player who's read the rules and built their Roster for the rules, can throw things off for everyone else.
    The only defence against this is to cry Stormwind Fallacy. However, that's not always going to be true - that's why it's a fallacy.
    Once again, playing Narratively isn't an excuse for playing badly.

Crusade requires a moderator. Someone who keeps track of everything that's happened.
    That moderator, doesn't exist, outside of a tightly run campaign between friends. But that's not how GW sold it. GW sold it as you can travel anywhere in the world (something, something pandemic, but GW will ignore that and continue business as normal) and pick up your Crusade exactly where you left off.
    (Yes, my Crusade is 200 PR, and has 5 Warlord Traits and 10 Relics...That's just how many games I've played. Trust me.)

and there's always the landmines of someone just liking the best stuff.
    As I've said repeatedly, 9th Ed. is a game that new and/or bad players can break by accident.
    (8th Ed. was too, but nowhere near as badly)
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #500
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Warhammer 40,000: Crusade
    Learn to Make Spreadsheets

Order of Battle
    Your Order of Battle is everything you have. Your Order of Battle is not your army. Before you can even start playing Crusade, you will need to buy a number of units equal to 50 Power, in order to play games of 25 Power. What this means, is that each time you play a Crusade Mission, you are actually allowed to pick-and-choose which units you take against which opponent. The fact that you own 50 Power worth of stuff, for a 25 Power game, gives you options in what you will or wont take against that particular opponent, for that particular Mission.

Remember, in order to play Combat Patrol, you must be able to form one - and only one - Patrol. Make sure that you have the units to do that, in your initial 50 PR Order of Battle.

You can increase the size of your Order of Battle (i.e; Gain more choices) by spending your Requisition Points. What are those?

Requisition Points
    Your Order of Battle starts its Crusade with 50 Supply Limit (i.e; Power Limit), and 5 Requisition Points (RP). RPs are used to buy upgrades for your Crusade Roster. The most notable upgrades being Warlord Traits and Relics. Some upgrades for your army can be bought whenever you like, and other upgrades can only be spent when one of your units Ranks Up (more on that, next). However, most importantly, Requisition is used to increase your Order of Battle's Supply Limit (i.e Power Limit).

Yes, you can drop-in, drop-out units from your Order of Battle. However, every time you remove a unit from your Order of Battle, it loses all XP and all Rank Ups, and it starts again as a new unit. That is, once you delete a unit from your Order of Battle, it's gone for good. This means that you can't 'just Add' a unit to your Order of Battle, unless you increase your Supply Limit, which is done by using Requisition.

Gaining Requisition is fairly straightforward:
    - You gain 1 RP for playing in a game.
    - You gain an additional 1 RP if you lose that game.
    - You gain an additional 2 RP if you win that game.
    - Some Agendas may award additional RP when you complete them.
    In short, losing a game gives you +2 RP, and winning a game gives you +3 RP. Winning games gives you 50% more benefit than losing. That being said, you gain RP just for playing. So make sure to get as many games as you can in, because increasing your Supply Limit is what actually allows you to add models and units to your collection. Play as many games as you can. Win as many of them as you can. RP is the limiting resource of a Crusade Roster.

Remember, your Order of Battle must include the number of games you've played.

Experience
    Gaining Experience (XP) is just as straightforward as gaining RP. A unit gains XP when:
    - +1 XP just for being part of the battle,
    - +1 XP when it destroys an enemy unit,
    - At the end of the battle, choose one of your units, and give it +3 XP. It is 100% your choice - there are no requirements or limitations.
    Your units gain XP by achieving Agendas.

When a unit gains enough experience to Rank Up, they can choose a Battle Honour:
    - Battle Traits. These are statline boosts or extra abilities that your units gain. It is strongly recommended that you roll them, else you'll just pick the best ones.
    - Weapon Enhancements. What it says on the tin.
    - Psychic Fortitude. Allows PSYKERS to manifest and Deny more Powers.
    - Crusade Relics. These are minor Relics, that make your models feel more unique.
    Each Battle Honour that a unit has, increases your army's number of Crusade Points. This has no effect on your Order of Battle. But does change (very slightly) what your opponent's army can do during an actual Battle.

Additionally, your models will routinely be destroyed, and have to take an Out of Action test. Roll a 2+ for each unit destroyed during a game. Nothing happens. However, on a '1', you can choose one of the following:
    - Lose XP. The unit loses D6 XP. Additionally, the unit gains no XP from the battle just played. The unit doesn't lose any Battle Honours or Ranks. It just makes it harder to get more.
    -Battle Scar. A Battle Scar is the opposite of a Battle Trait. It is a negative stat or a permeant debuff to the unit. It is strongly recommended that you roll these, else you'll just pick the least bad ones.
    Each Battle Scar that a unit has, reduces your army's number of Crusade Points. So, provided that your units have the 'least bad ones' - whether you rolled them randomly or chose them - there is actually a tangible, mechanical reason not to just delete them off of your Roster and start again with a fresh unit.

Crusade Points
    When choosing your Army for a Battle, add up all the Crusade Points in your Army list (not on your Order of Battle). Between you and your opponent, whomever has the least amount of Crusade Points on their Army list, gains the difference, in Command Points, for the game.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2020-12-13 at 12:20 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

21. - Top - End - #501
    Colossus in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

So, I'm not a particularly good painter. I lack patience and skill.

But I'm thinking about getting into Tyranids, and kinda want to do a rainbow scheme. The first picture in the above spoiler looks cool as all heck, but is probably something I don't have the skill or patience for. The second isn't as impressive, but looks much simpler to do.

To the forum, then, I ask these questions:

1) How would I do the first scheme? If anyone knows how.
    2) What are some cheap paints that still get good results? I'm not really inclined to buy GW paints right now, due to price.
    3) Brushes too-should I just grab craft store brushes, and will they get okay results? Or should I pony up for better ones? Keep in mind, not a good painter.
    4) Any other general tips or advice?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

22. - Top - End - #502
    Ettin in the Playground

Well. Having played some 9th as my good ol' trusty Admech.... I'm considering swapping from running them as Graia to Rad Saturated.

My entire strategy with Graia simply doesn't work with a more mobile force, which is needed for 9th. Like, sure I could *try* to keep an elaborate formation going pinging off of the warlord trait but...

Anyway. The main loss is the anti-psyker. But I'm thinking of reworking the force to go heavy Pteraxii so I can probably just... Fly them over and kill psykers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

But I'm thinking about getting into Tyranids, and kinda want to do a rainbow scheme. The first picture in the above spoiler looks cool as all heck, but is probably something I don't have the skill or patience for. The second isn't as impressive, but looks much simpler to do.

2) What are some cheap paints that still get good results? I'm not really inclined to buy GW paints right now, due to price.
    3) Brushes too-should I just grab craft store brushes, and will they get okay results? Or should I pony up for better ones? Keep in mind, not a good painter.
    I reckon you could get something close to the first scheme, quickly and with minimal skill using a blue (for the body) and green (armour plates) gw contrast paint. Then you just paint the bottom two thirds of each plate yellow and the bottom third red. Practice a couple of times on a spare genestealer to get the transition you like (Dettol is your friend for starting again when it doesn't work) and you're good to go.
    Sadly it's using gw paints though, hopefully someone else can help you with the cheaper options.

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show

I was about to call you a liar when I saw the first image, but then I realised these were examples, and not your stuff. Everyone starts out by not being a great painter, you only get better with practice, but the amount of guides and step-by-step instructions and videos out there mean that even total newbies can get a really nice paintjob consistantly with a little bit of effort just by following a guide. One of the best things for me was to go into my FLGS (mine is a GW) and ask the better painters how to do [x], most of them will be more than happy to show you how and explain the little nuances. I found it much easier this way, as I could ask a bunch of questions whenever and about whatever and get a quick answer and often they could show me how to do it on one side of the mini and I could replicate it on the other side.

As to the first question, look up "Feathering" (or more accurately, "Tyranid feathering") and then pick your favourite person to listen to or writing style as there's a million examples on how to do it. Here's a Duncan Rhodes vid with him painting a gaunt and he shows of feathering about 8 minutes in - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJaW_rQIS_s If you basically do the same thing, but with multiple layers of feathering in different colours, you'd get the rainbow effect on the first image.

For the second, I can't help, I use all GW stuff, but I'm sure a legion of people will happily tell you their favourite alternatives.

Question 3: It's much easier to not be a terrible painter if you have half decent brushes. I don't know that I would go out and buy a full set of Windsor Newtons right away, but if you've got even the most basic painting skills and a little bit of care for your stuff, a half decent set of brushes really, really helps boost your painting skills. You'd be surprised how few brushes you need, the better the painter, the more you can do with the "wrong" brush, but realistically, I'd say you only need about 4 brushes - a fine detail, a detail/standard, a base coat/large and a drybrush, and even if you pick up something nice in those 4, it shouldn't be too expensive. - Edit: And the drybrush doesn't need to be nice either, 'cause it's a drybrush, so yeah. Also, don't basecoat by hand, get a coloured (of the primary colour you're going to have for the majority of your minis) primer in a rattlecan, it's worth the small extra cost to save that much time.

Last question - Practice is the only thing that will make you better. Sucking at something is the first step to being good at something. Don't be discouraged by anyone elses work, do your thing, keep getting better and keep your first mini to see how much you improve. Lighting is also a big thing that gets overlooked, and while a lot of people have fancy lighting set-ups, just sitting somewhere that gets enough light on your mini will be a big help. Obligatory Duncan tip of the day - thin your paints (ie mix them with a tiny bit of water) and do 2 thin coats instead of slopping the paint on in 1 thick layer. It'll take longer but look 10 times better. Really, the painting side of things is a little bit of upfront cost, but you'd be surprised how long a pot of paint will last you. I've never thought the paints were expensive TBH, but I do remember saying "gee, why would anyone ever need THAT many paints?" when GW used to do their xmas paint bundle, and now I have 2/3rds of their paint range.
    Last edited by Drasius; 2020-12-04 at 05:51 PM.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Colossus in the Playground

How bad would it be to pick up some cheap paints from JoAnn Fabrics or something? Specifically, acrylics?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

26. - Top - End - #506
    Titan in the Playground

Craft paints will work, just... not very well? Best to save that sort of thing for terrain. Even acrylics are typically much thicker than mini paints to start with. For minis, Vallejo and Army Painter are both cheaper than GW, and come in dropper bottles instead of terrible pots. You don't need that many paints. You can get by with one in each major colour you want, white, black, maybe a brown or two, and a brown and black wash/ink. That's only about 12 paints - normally I'd also recommend a silver and a gold, but you're doing Tyranids, you have way more justification to skip the metallics.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

How bad would it be to pick up some cheap paints from JoAnn Fabrics or something? Specifically, acrylics?
    Probably not great, though I have no idea what "JoAnn Fabrics" is. As long as it's acrylic, you can probably make it work OK, but I'd be buying a brand from here - https://www.fauxhammer.com/top-10/be...s-models-2019/

IIRC, there's a thread or two over on Dakkadakka about people trying out cheap and nasty paints, and some of the better painters got passable results, but if you're spending $90 on a box of [whatever], do you really want to ruin it to save $10 on paint? If you're on a mission to be a better painter, it'll be a lot easier to get discouraged and quite if you start out using garbage. That's not to say use the top of the line everything, but at least use something made for painting minis.

The more skilled you get as a painter, and the more techniques you want to be able to do, the more colours and brushes and such you'll need, but you can get a really good paint job with only a few colours and 1-2 brushes. Even if 5 paints and a pair of brushes are a significant cost, I'd putting off buying more models until you can get some passable kit rather than buying el cheapo stuff and being disappointed with mediocre results.

Edit: Had a quick look on the GW site set to US prices (as that's where I assume you are);
    - $8 Medium shade brush
    - $6.75 Small base brush
    - $22.75 five colours of your choice
    = $37.50

That's about the same cost as a box of scouts.

You can wait for suggestions on a coloured primer as GW's ones are generally called exceedingly expensive, even for them (though I don't find them so, but given that they're $20 US, and only $30 AUD, I guess that's part of it).
    Last edited by Drasius; 2020-12-04 at 06:43 PM.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

when it comes to paint, pretty much every brand is fine. You just need to find which ever has the right mix of pigment to flow improver/medium you personally like. DakkaDakka has a paint equivalency chart that is relatively helpful as is this https://redgrimm.github.io/paint-conversion/. I know that many people suggest army painters starter kit if you don't want to go GW. In the end though any water soluble acrylic will work, it just comes down to how much you have to thin it out. As for brushes I tend to stick with the Army painter line but again, its just find ones with a good point and maintain that point.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ettin in the Playground

I started with Partha Paints, and have since 'graduated' to acrylic craft paints. Delta Ceramicoat was my favorite, but I haven't been able to find them for the last few years. Apple Barrel seems to be pretty good. Folk Art is okay.

You can see a bunch of my work here:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/warhammerhouse
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/warhammerhouse

Somehow I seem to be incapable of linking to my Imgur gallery. Individual pics, sure, but not the whole gallery. Oh well. Here are some more shots:
    https://i.imgur.com/jRfGYNz.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/5tX2HhL.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/bK5kWlG.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/68AUQvJ.jpg
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

30. - Top - End - #510
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

How would I do the first scheme? If anyone knows how.
    A combination of drybushing/feathering and wetblending.

...But actually I think at least the green is airbrushed and might not possible with a hairbrush.

What are some cheap paints that still get good results? I'm not really inclined to buy GW paints right now, due to price.
    Tamiya is usually found in every hobby shop. Havne't used them it years, though. Can't speak for their quality. I still buy their sprays, though.

Brushes too-should I just grab craft store brushes, and will they get okay results? Or should I pony up for better ones? Keep in mind, not a good painter.
    The right brushes make you a better painter. Painting is not that hard. At its core, painting is about putting the right colour in the right place. It's as hard as colouring-inside-the-lines.
    The hardest part is loading the brush.
    If you put too much paint onto a small brush, terrible. If you put too little paint on a large brush, terrible. If you put a blob of your paint on your model and colour outside the lines, it's gonna look like what it's gonna look like.
    One of the first steps towards becoming a better painter, is getting the right brushes.

I can't stress that the most important way to be become a better painter is to have better brushes. Hell, the shape of your brush changes how you paint. Not all paint brushes are equal, or are for the same job.

That said, I refuse to buy GW brushes at this stage. They're too expensive and not even that good.

These days I have a bunch of size <2 Neef Brushes. I generally don't thin my paints. What I do is just put less paint on my brush in the first place (and also I lick my brushes). Smaller brushes help a lot with that.

Colour theory is your friend. You generally have two choices:

1. Contrasting Scheme. This is great for a more unrealistic feel, and the idea behind it to get certain colours to 'pop' when you want certain things to stand out, and certain other things to be less important (like Space Marines and T'au). This is what I prefer, because I'm painting heroic miniatures.

2. Warm/Cool Tones. This is way more difficult, and a lot harder to pull off. Usually involves drybrushing and/or wet-blending. But it does give you a more natural look. This is where you divide your colour palette into ROYGBIV, and you only use colours on one side of the G - or one side of the wheel, if you're at one; Green is neutral. This will make the whole model 'pop' (probably why it's so hard to do). But this is what your first example is. Warm/Cool palettes look great on models that are designed to feel more natural and/or curved, and you'll see it a lot on Aeldari and Tyranid models.

Right brush.
    Right paints.
    Right scheme.
    The rest is motor skills. That can only come with practice.

I've told a story before about a guy who used to be in my meta who developed tremors in his right hand. He had to learn to paint with his left hand. Of course he was terrible. But he got much, much better over time because it's a motor skill and your brain is pretty good with things like that.

EDIT.
    3. There's also Seasonal Colour Palettes. But I have no idea how it works and it confuses me and so I refuse to address it.

Spoiler: Uhhhh...I'm sure there's a logic
    Show
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2020-12-04 at 10:03 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome