New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 18 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default The Search for Mika

We will do both ic and ooc here since it is just the both of us.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2020-10-12 at 01:15 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Search for Mika

The small town of Townsend Bluff looks over the southern banks of the Green River. The Green River Bridge connects The Overlook Manor to the north east and a wooded area called the Shrines to the north west.

Townsend Bluff is a small mixed race town near the Shrine. It sits on the south side of the Green River which pours into the Black Swamp .

The Shield Mountains are north of Townsend Bluff and used to house many Dwarven communities but have been abandoned for about five hundred years.
    Ogrin's homeland is many miles to the south west that borders The Desert of Endless Miles.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2020-10-16 at 02:00 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[16]

If needed:
    (1d4)[4]
    (1d4)[1]

Wow, those are good.

Here is Cyran, High Elf Light Cleric

Spoiler: Picture
    Show

Spoiler: Short Background
    Show
    Cyran looks like a typical noble elf, but as the youngest of 3 sons, he has spent his entire life in a temple for Corellon Larethian. He followed the church's teachings and studied, but was not the greatest student. He was kind to the fellow acolytes and generally obeyed his superiors but would often get in trouble for not paying attention.

For some reason, he always knew that he would be destined for greatness. In his frequent daydreaming, he saw himself fighting dragons and saving the world. Those those feelings were confirmed when one day, in his sleep, Corellon came to him in a dream and told him that he needed to find the Longbow of Seldarine. When he awoke from that dream, he was first able to channel the divine magic of his god, light itself channeling from his body.

When he told the elders of his dream, they equipped him and set him off on his quest. He won't admit it but he is afraid they might have been trying to get rid of him.

He can come across a bit smug and pampered, but has a good heart and people usually come around to liking him. He is brave and confident and willing to help others.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-10-15 at 01:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Character sheet for Ogrin Snorrison.

Spoiler: Image
    Show

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Once upon a time, Ogrin was an unremarkable dwarf. Born into the Silverpeak Clan, Ogrin had a cold relationship with his parents and was much closer to his sister (Freja), whose mind was as sharp as her tongue. He worked in the hold as a weaponsmith and thought highly of his own work. In his arrogance, he allowed his standards to slip despite admonishments from his mentors. His sins came home to roost one day when a band of orcs invaded his hold and the hold's throng were armed with Ogrin's axes and blades. Several of the weapons shattered like cheap umgak after blows from the invaders and their bewildered wielders died on the points of orcish spears and swords. This allowed the orcs to press further into the hold, slaughtering more clansdwarfs before reinforcements arrived.

The invasion was repulsed, but Ogrin's personal rune on the weapons left no illusions. That would have been shame enough for the young blacksmith, especially since it was blasphemy in the eyes of the ancestor-god Grungni to forge subpar work, but Ogrin learned that his own sister had nearly been killed when the orcs breached the shieldwall. In the light of such dishonor, there was only one recourse for Ogrin to regain his honor... Confessing his sins and accepting the blame for the deaths of his kinsmen, Ogrin took up the slayer oath of Grimnir. He would seek out dangerous monsters that posed a threat and engage in deadly combat until he or the beast was slain. Only death in battle in service to the hold would allow Ogrin to regain his lost honor and join his ancestors in the afterlife.

Now, Ogrin wanders the lands in search of possible threats to dwarfs and their allies. His primary weapon is a large maul that he swings with practiced ease, but it also serves as a physical reminder of his transgressions. Even for a dwarf, Ogrin is cantankerous and brooding, finding little reason for small talk in the wake of his inevitable death. Ironically, Ogrin's demonstration of failure in his craft has reminded him of the importance of workmanship and he often serves as a passing mentor for apprentices. Actions, not words, sway the dwarf's heart and any who win the dwarf's respect could not ask for a more fearsome and devoted ally.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Oh, I like your character. This should be fun. Our characters are opposite personalities but both good so they should be able to get along.

So both of our backgrounds have us wandering, Ogrin trying to find an honorable death and Cyran trying to find an ancient relic. Perhaps we were traveling together, attacked by some goblins or orcs, fought them off together, and then bonded. Cyran admires Ogrin ability to get us through the wilderness and take on attackers. Ogrin appreciates Cyran's spells and healing and his ability to navigate cities.

My hope (not Cyran's) is that Ogrin eventually decides that protecting Cyran is more important than dying an honorable death.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Prehysterical, if you are considering Berserker, just be warned that its mechanics in 5e are pretty terrible. You might want to check out Zealot from Xanather's and flavor it as berserker.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-10-15 at 07:01 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Well, a real easy way to make them get along better is if Cyran promises to serve as Ogrin's "rememberer". Basically, Cyran swears an oath that he will witness Ogrin's death and report it back to his clan so that they know that he died honorably in battle and not from alcohol poisoning or something stupid like that. That would make Ogrin have a vested interest in keeping Cyran alive and help develop the dynamic of them working as a team.

Xanather's? What is that?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Prehysterical View Post
    Well, a real easy way to make them get along better is if Cyran promises to serve as Ogrin's "rememberer". Basically, Cyran swears an oath that he will witness Ogrin's death and report it back to his clan so that they know that he died honorably in battle and not from alcohol poisoning or something stupid like that. That would make Ogrin have a vested interest in keeping Cyran alive and help develop the dynamic of them working as a team.

Xanather's? What is that?
    Not sure Cyran would be enthusiastic about that promise. There would just need to be some way that Cyran thinks he can save Ogrin from this suicide.

Xanathar's Guide to Everything is a supplement book with lots of subclasses and extra spells. Here's a personal site that explains the Zealot subclass.

8. - Top - End - #8

Not sure if this makes things any better, but this is not "suicide by monster". Slayers are required to give it their all in combat; they can't just let their weapon drop and take death on the chin. The entire point of the penance is that they live long enough to make a difference in the world and those deeds help redeem their past misconduct. Cyran's struggle to persuade Ogrin would be part of the RP potential.

There is also the possibility in the story (a way of combining mechanics and fluff) that some great threat arises that Ogrin being blessed by Grimnir himself. Since Zealot gets the ability to revive at level 3 without a material component, that could be a way of Grimnir sending Ogrin back (should he happen to fall). That would be great conflict fodder for Ogrin since he's not sure whether Grimnir is snubbing him by implying that he has not yet earned redemption or if Grimnir somehow trusts him enough to see a particular task through.

Yeah, given the particular nature of the character, I can easily fit the Zealot path to this character. Good suggestion.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

This is all great. Cyran agreed to be Ogrin's rememberer, but will keep trying to talk Ogrin out of it and will keep healing him in battle.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Cyran has heard rumors about a place called the Shrines, an outdoors place where all are welcome to worship. Ogrin has heard that an ogre has been stealing livestock from the surrounding farms near Townsend Bluff.

The pair has just entered the town which is quite typical with a blacksmith, an inn, and a farmer's market.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Cyran Astucia
    High Elf Light Cleric 1
    AC: 17 HP: 11/11
    Spell Slots: 2 / 2
    Warding Flare 3 / 3
    PP: 15 PInv: 10 PIns: 15
    Conditions: none

After traveling the past few days, Cyran is ready to settle in, get a glass of wine and a meal, and sleep in a bed for a change. He has a few coins left so he might as well spend them on comforts.

"Ogrin, I know you want to challenge the ogre, but let's get a good meal first, maybe a good night of sleep and then go fight it in the morning after visiting the Shrines. Let's go check out the inn. Maybe we'll meet someone interesting there."

He's not sure if his new dwarven friend will agree to this so he sweetens the pot.

"It's on me tonight. Come on. Fighting is better in the light of the morning anyway."
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-10-17 at 02:52 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

The prospect of fighting giantkin is all the motivation that Ogrin needs to come to Townsend Bluff. While Cyran is sore and ready for civilization, the dwarf is used to roughing it in the wilderness by this point.

Cyran chooses the right approach as Ogrin reconsiders his mad dash toward doom. Surely, the ancestors would not begrudge him getting a hot meal before pursuing the ogre for mortal combat. The offer of not even paying for it seals the deal. Ogrin reluctantly nods his acceptance. "All right, elgi, we can do it in the morning. I don't give a chuff about anyone in there, but maybe there's a chance that there's manling ale in there that doesn't taste like piss."

He winces as they walk down the main street, his ears picking up hammer blows from the blacksmith's forge. "It will also get us off the street so I don't have to listen to that horrible racket. Someone in there is striking blue steel and that's worthy of some blue bruises in my book."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Cyran Astucia
    High Elf Light Cleric 1
    Warding Flare 3 / 3

As they get to the inn, Cyran holds the door for Olgrin but goes in after the dwarf motions for him to go first,

"I bet they have some sort of beer here too. Let's see what we find."

He walks into the inn, looking to see if anyone can help the pair.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-10-17 at 02:52 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

The sign above the door is a a piece of rotted wood broken on one end and flat on the other. The place is dark but quiet. A halfling standing 5 foot tall can be seen behind the bar. As you get closer you notice he is walking on wide wooden shelf.

Welcome to the Rotting Plank, what can I get you fine travelers? Here to see the Shrines? he says as he notices Cyran's holy symbol.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Cyran Astucia
    High Elf Light Cleric 1
    Warding Flare 3 / 3

At first, Cyran thinks he's found a giant halfling. He laughs when he realizes the normal-sized halfling is just standing on a shelf. He walks over and offer to shake the bartender.

"I'm Cyran and this is Ogrin. We're planning to visit the shrines tomorrow. We're also looking to help with your ogre problem. Do you know who we could talk to about getting hired for that? In the meantime, we'll need a room tonight and some dinner. We'll start with a mug of ale for my friend here, and I'll take a glass of wine. Does this place look ok to you Ogrin?"

He looks around for the cleanest table he can find and sits there.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I couldn't take the gold letters anymore.
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-10-17 at 02:53 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

The sign doesn't inspire confidence, but Ogrin finds the interior to his liking. At first, he is surprised by a halfling that is seemingly even taller than he is, but rolls his eyes when it becomes obvious that the innkeep is elevating himself. Ogrin lets Cyran do the talking. He only speaks when they sit down at the table.

"It can be a palace or a whorehouse, for all I care, so long as the ale is good. You can forget a bad bed, but you'll never forget a bad brew."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Sitting at other tables are three human males dressed in obvious farmer clothes. A second table is occupied by two gnomes and a tiefling, they seem to be talking quietly and looking over at the two of you.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Cyran Astucia
    High Elf Light Cleric 1
    Warding Flare 3 / 3

Cyran looks over and nods at the table with the gnomes and the tiefling, enough to let them know they can approach for conversation if they want, but not so much to interfere with their dinner if they are not interested.

While he waits for a reply from the halfliing, he continues his conversation with Ogrin.

"You know I love palaces. Soft beds, good food, and culture. But even the nicest palace doesn't compare to a good whorehouse. The beds may not be as soft, but the... entertainment... is better. What's your favorite... establishment... you've ever visited?"

19. - Top - End - #19

Ogrin quirks an eyebrow. "I always pegged you for soft living, elf, but you never struck me as the whoring type." Given how they have gone from palace to whorehouse in the same sentence, Ogrin misinterprets the question. "I miss the Crooked Helmet back home. Bugman's XXXXX always on tap. Beer so filling that an army can march on it alone." It is the first time that Cyran has seen Ogrin openly homesick.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Cyran Astucia
    High Elf Light Cleric 1
    Warding Flare 3 / 3

"I am an elf, not a hermit."

Cyran has heard Ogrin talk about his dishonor and subsequent oath. It was good to hear him talk about his homeland so warmly. Knowing this a subject he shouldn't broach lightly, he continues to see if there are any loopholes for Ogrin's oath.

"I'd love to visit this Crooked Helmet someday. Perhaps you could take me there. Is there any way to fulfill your oath that doesn't involve you dying? I mean if you killed every dragon in the land, they'd have to let you back in right?"

21. - Top - End - #21

The dwarf visibly bristles at Cyran's question. "You speak so flippantly of such things, but not even the kings of old, like Ungrim Ironfist, could completely rid the land of evil in their lifetimes. So long as any enemy of the dwarfs still draws breath, I am honorbound to seek them out. I do not think so highly of myself, priest, that I would survive to see every dragon, undead, and greenskin expelled from these lands."

Ogrin rests on his elbows and slumps forward, waiting on his ale. "If you truly wish to see the Crooked Helmet, then your best bet is when you fulfill your oath to me and tell my kin of my death. I am certain they would pour out a lake's worth of ale for you in thanks."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Cyran Astucia
    High Elf Light Cleric 1
    Warding Flare 3 / 3

Cyran tries to back off a little before he upsets his friend.

"It would just be more fun for me to go with you instead going on my own to report your death. While you keep trying to fulfill your oath, I'm going to try to figure out a way for you to fulfill it without dying. Maybe it won't work, but as your rememberer I think it's my duty. In the meantime, let's see if this halfling can get us some drinks."

He motions to the bartender to see if they can order, going up to the bar if that seems appropriate.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

The halfling grabs his largest mug of ale and his fanciest wine goblet. He hobbles down the ramp with what is clearly a peg leg.
    Here you go lads. Anything else I can do for you? As for that ogre I would have taken him out in my younger days. The Shrines are a wonder to see. If in your looking for a reward for the ogre, folks don't have much .

24. - Top - End - #24

Ogrin gives a small smile at the size of the mug. "If you have any bread or meat or potatoes, I'll take some of that." He rolls his eyes at the barkeep's bragging, but waves off the mention of a reward. "I do this not for gold, halfling, but for penance. I wouldnae ask a copper from the townsfolk for the honor."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Cyran Astucia
    High Elf Light Cleric 1
    Warding Flare 3 / 3

Cyran nods his head as Ogrin speaks, taking a generous drink from his glass of wine.

"Yes. We'll take two dinners of whatever you're serving. While my friend here won't accept a copper, I am willing to take a fair wage for an honest job. But if none are interested, we'll likely take on this beast anyway. So if there is anyone that can offer any assistance or information, it would be appreciated. If we both die there without killing this ogre, it does no one any good."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

The farmers would gladly pay you in wool, sheep skin,mutton or a haunch of lamb. Talk to those lads over there. he says pointing to the farmers. I can get you some lamb stew and some hearty oat bread.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2020-10-19 at 11:05 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Cyran Astucia
    High Elf Light Cleric 1
    Warding Flare 3 / 3

Cyran continues to drink his wine, alternating with water from his waterskin.

"Two servings of stew and bread would be great. Thank you. We don't want to take food away from the farmers families, but maybe they could point us in the right direction. And who are the three at the other table? Maybe they could be of assistance, too."

He looks over to the farmers, "Good evening gentlemen. I hear there is an ogre problem around here. My friend and I are willing to help take care it, and I was wondering if any of you had any information about the beast."

28. - Top - End - #28

Ogrin takes a hefty gulp of the ale. Passable, at the very least... And that was all that it needed to be. The goat stew and oat bread might go well with it. He is happy to leave Cyran to do the talking.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

A strapping young lad looks up from his food. Aye there be plenty of sheep missing in the last few weeks. Sometimes the dogs can scare it away, but we lost a few of them. Now it's easier to tie down one of the old ones to a shrub and hope the brute will take it. All our farms are on the north side.

The three strangers, the two gnomes and the tiefling look up when Cyran mentions them and then they quietly start talking again.

The halfling comes with two bowls and a loaf of warm bread. I'm Sid by the way, as for those , they're a strange lot, only the tiefling speaks and his common is poor at best.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Cyran Astucia
    High Elf Light Cleric 1
    Warding Flare 3 / 3

Cyran continues to talk first to the farmers.

"Do you have any idea where the ogre lives? Or where we might find some tracks we could follow?"

He then returns to Ogrin and eats his stew. "Thank you, Sid. This stew is delicious. My name is Cyran and my friend here is Ogrin. We're also looking for a room for the night. Do you have one?"