New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XIX: Toss a Coin to your Goblin

[Kirk and Dena - Damage Control]

Kirk waves his hand dismissively. "I doubt that. I'm confident this nonsense is what she was planning on telling us over supper." The drow leans back in his seat, not really relaxing despite the appearance. "If Cantata wanted to get at us I doubt she'd have joined Merc. You might be right about Tina's money or family, though."

"In any case, Fettina needs to see some sense. She's being impulsive and putting herself at risk." Someone has to look after her again.

[Reporting In]

"It's no trouble. It takes more than a little snow to frighten me off." The diim crosses her legs and folds her hands on her lap. "But let's get down to business. We made substantial headway in our investigation, you'll be glad to hear. You didn't make it easy for us, though. When we discussed our original arrangement, and payment, it wasn't clear that you intentionally deceived us."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dena folds her hands and leans forward. "That's a possibility." Dena admits . "But that would mean..." She makes a 'tsk' sound. "Yeah, she's pissed off." She displays her palms and shrugs. "Which means there's no way we're going to talk 'sense' into her as this is exactly what she wants." She holds up her binder. "I don't have nearly enough evidence to dissuade her so the only way you can go about this is starting at the other end. You're going to have to talk to Cantata." Dena pauses as to let that sink in. "I wouldn't recommend that though. It's just gonna make her more pissed with little chance of going anywhere."

[Reporting In]

Dena raises an eyebrow. "Oh? What makes you think that?" She calmly inquires.
    There was no way Vax could prove it was intentional.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Kirk scowls. "You're right, she's stubborn." Does he ever know that. "But as for Cantata, she ought to understand that if she hurts Fettina, she won't enjoy the consequences." The drow's eyes narrow.

[Reporting In]

"Come now, Dena, there's no need to play dumb." Vax shakes her head. "You suggested that this Helios was offering a ritual you could perform with the assistance of Astrana. But, perhaps I'm mistaken. Astrana may carry surprising attributes, though I'd still argue that in isolation sex is hardly a ritual."

4. - Top - End - #34

Dena rolls her eyes. "And they say opposites attract since that's the bull calling someone bullheaded, Kirk. You really think she needs you to explicitly tell her that? She didn't seem like a moron to me and you made it pretty clear that you were against her from the start. Furthermore, anything you tell her is going to be told to Tina unless you're planning to go all in on these threats." She raises a eyebrow as if to challenge this.

[Reporting In]

Without missing a beat, Dena do look surprised in part since she is. Helios had framed it a bit differently and Vax made it sound much more simple than he had been given the impression of. "Sounds like there's more to it than that, or that's what I was told at least. So do go on. Is sex really all that's needed?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-11-14 at 01:52 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

[Reporting In]

Vax gives Dena a look. "Spare me. Either you're a fool and neglected to ask Helios any details about what was required, or you lied to me and cost us hours of research. Which is it?"

6. - Top - End - #36

[Reporting In]

"I was told about a ritual and I inquired about the details, which I got. So either he made all that up or it's actually unnecessary. One of those things that just makes you feel better. Whatever you think I did, I'd like to know what you found out and what's your source of it since it seems to conflict with mine." She's not lying, she deliberately avoids to as Vax was all sass right now.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

[Reporting In]

"The fact of the matter is that the details of this ritual were vital information, and yet you were intentionally vague. For what reason, because you were embarrassed?" Vax scoffs. "Tell me right now what Helios described to you."

"And why shouldn't I? She's a problem. What else do I do? Sit here any wait for something to happen?" Kirk glowers.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2020-11-14 at 05:04 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38

[Reporting In]

Dena seems to brush Vax's attitude aside and continues as if nothing happened. "I already told you about that 'chimera essence' stuff and how the dragon was supposed to be created out of the gorgon, yeah? Well, I should have been more specific. Essentially, you can manipulate that 'essence' with a dietary subscription. The gorgon is supposed to be eat this and that, a lot of reptiles apparently, and I quote, 'from her a dragon will be born'. Something which apparently involved puking according to Helios. I interpreted that as it involved me puking out an egg, which ew, but after the diet it didn't seem to bad and he confirmed it wasn't harmful. There was no way I'd expect an dragon to come out of more private parts you know? Like... they're pretty big if you know what I'm saying." She pauses and takes up a pen. "But if what you're saying is true, that was a misdirection." Then she reaches for her notebook. "So what else have you learned?"

"I'd recommend try talking to Tina and explain how your feeling in a sensible manner... if I wasn't talking to you, Kirk." Dena's tone becomes flat at the end of that sentence as her expression sours. "You can't control yourself when you get upset and she knows this as well as I do. She's probably just sitting there in her 'throne room' waiting for you to storm in a fit of rage so she can throw you out on your ass. So what you should do is prove her wrong and don't come to her like a raving maniac. Calm yourself, channel whatever restrain you have and just talk. No shouting, no thrown objects, just calmly asking her to explain herself and then argue against her reasoning." She raises an eyebrow and calmly folds her hands together. "Think you can do that?" Dena didn't, but maybe Kirk could surprise her too.

Otherwise she would at least get to see him fail as Tina would no doubt record it. She had seen her security cameras.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

[Shooting Range -> Front Desk(?)]

"I've never met such faeries, so I'll need you to help me out on the field, know what to look for and what to avoid, Olvi." Chidi says after pondering her words, his finger playing with a moustache. "Is there any chance that I'd be turned into a fairy or something if I make the wrong move?"
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

[Shooting Range]

Olvisin seems surprised by the question and isn't sure how to answer at first.

"I... don't think so? Or at least I don't remember ever hearing about something like that. I don't know that much about fey either. They have a grudge against us goblins for some reason. Or at least they like us even less than they like mortals in general."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

[Reporting In]

Vax pauses for another moment, waiting just long enough for it to become uncomfortable before speaking again. "The documents I found refer to gorgons as 'echidna', or mother of monsters. I've seen the term used in various different contexts, but in this case it appears it could relate to dragons, as Helios suggests. Unfortunately we still lack a direct connection between gorgons and dragons. It's unsurprising, to be frank. These dragons have at best been extinct for generations and gorgons such as yourself are exceedingly rare beings."

"That said, I feel confident that Helios expects you to bear a child, whether he's told you so yet or not. I can't definitively conclude that gorgons are capable of birthing dragons, but gorgons are tied to childbirth in fundamental ways. In your current state, you strongly represent death. Simply looking at you causes it. However, pregnancy will trigger a change, bringing forward concepts of life. To me this suggests a duality. Life and death are balanced against one another. Bringing life to the fore pushes back death; this is where the benefits Helios describes are likely to come in. Control over your deadly gaze, or maybe it won't be deadly at all. I can only speculate on the precise details, but it does logically follow."

"As for the details of the 'ritual', it could be that those are important. Echidna in tales and records are described as the source of many different entities. It's hardly consistent. Perhaps this Helios discovered a way to control that process. I can't see what motivation he'd have to lie about that particular detail."

"Don't give me that." Kirk scowls. As if he wasn't justified. "And if I do and she doesn't open her eyes? Then what?"
    Last edited by Gullara; 2020-11-23 at 09:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42

[Reporting In]

Dena is perfectly quiet as Vax explains this, only occasionally nodding every time Vax makes a point as to show that she's listening. Vax clearly didn't understand this social necessity herself but it wasn't like Dena was gonna stop doing just since the diim didn't want to.

"...do you have all of this in written form or do you want me to write it all down myself?" She inquires once Vax seems to be finished with her explanation. "Since this is a lot to take in so I'd like it all written down somewhere." Dena gestures towards Vax. "But speaking of writing down, since your own information is incomplete regarding this subject, do you want me to fill you in on whatever I manage to squeeze out of Helios? You've already proven that his information is questionable at best but there does seem to be a grain of truth in it at least. I figure we could meet up again after I've talked to him and try to piece together this puzzle." She shrugs. "Or I could just send you all my notes of what he told me. Whatever works best for you."

"Then you can tell her that you at least tried and go ahead with your plan. I mean, Tina is gonna find out you talked to Cantata one way or the other and this way it will look a bit better if you play your cards right." Not much considering that Kirk's position was essentially to try to control who Tina could marry. However, she had already pointed out how dumb a plan this was and felt further proding would make him stop listening to her.
    Kirk was not open to reason at the moment but hopefully she could prod him in the direction she wanted him at least.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

[Reporting In]

"I can have a written report prepared and sent over tomorrow morning." Vax replies. "You should of course give me any information Helios provides. It's better these questions be answered later than never."

"But speaking of Helios, we did look into him as well. It wasn't so fruitful, however. The name did come up on one occasion, but there's no way to link it back to the being you're dealing with. Given more time we might unearth something, but given his disposition that might not pan out."

The drow shakes his head, but even so says, "Fine. I'll talk to her. This whole situation is a goddamn mess."
    Last edited by Gullara; 2020-11-24 at 10:14 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Shooting Range]

Olvisin seems surprised by the question and isn't sure how to answer at first.

"I... don't think so? Or at least I don't remember ever hearing about something like that. I don't know that much about fey either. They have a grudge against us goblins for some reason. Or at least they like us even less than they like mortals in general."
    [Shooting Range]

"I had to ask. While I wouldn't mind getting to experience life as another race - a dragon, for instance - these fae you're speaking of is another matter. I wouldn't want to be beholden to any fairy, for instance." Chidi explains his odd question, then gestures around. "Besides, I hear that if one isn't careful here, they can get changed permanently, and against their will."

"So, what's the next line of action, Olvi?" He asks. They should probably be moving on, and start as soon as possible.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

15. - Top - End - #45

[Reporting In]

"I'm willing to provide anything I got on him to help." Dena remarks as she pulls out a drawer and picks out a binder that she tosses over to Vax. "I collected some more information on him and put it all in here. A lot of it is my speculations and educated guesses but I figure it's better than nothing."

Dena leans back and displays her open palms in a gesture of surrender. "No arguments there. Tina could have handled this so much better. She intentionally provoked you, man. That's not cool at all. Neither do you or Cantata."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

[Shooting Range]

"We go research fey sightings and then investigate them," Olvisin says. "After finding out as much as we can so we don't go in blind. Hopefully no unwilling transformations happen. I'm pretty attached to this body."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

[Entrance]

A blue haired, pink eyed catgirl shows up at the mountain base, knocking yes, but also entering as quickly as able to get out of the cold. Brr! She has the look of someone who hasn't been here in a very long time and is spotting slight differences that have accumulated over the years. Admittedly her prior engagements with MERC have been limited, brief, and professional, so she doesn't actually notice much. It was a long time ago too.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

[Front Desk - Reina]

Reina will find the front desk occupied by an orc today. A large orcish woman with dark grey skin, red eyes and a smart dress with strange patterns on it.

"Welcome to MERC, how may we help you?" she asks.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

[Reporting In]

Vax picks up the binder and flips through it momentarily, quickly counting the pages by touch. "I'll take it into account. I wouldn't expect much without a solid lead. I expect 'Helios' isn't the first name he's born. Some entities are canny things."

Kirk scoffs. He thinks about not lumping him and Cantata together, but thinks better of it. "She knows how to be a thorn in my ass, that's for sure."

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

[Front Desk - Reina]

There's a moment as Reina looks over the reception orc, but it's brief and standard. They've upgraded to outright receptionists! Well, can't fault them for their economic values.

With a smile, Reina replies. "Yes, I'm here to apply for a membership."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

[Front Desk - Reina]

The orc nods.

"Of course. Let me just check who is available for an interview... I see." She looks down at her computer. "Looks like Mr. Razortooth can see you. He'll be waiting in the interview room down the hall."

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

[Front Desk - Reina]

Interview rooms now too! The corporate upgrades keep on rolling.

"Thank you," Reina says before heading to the indicated room.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

23. - Top - End - #53

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Reporting In]

Vax picks up the binder and flips through it momentarily, quickly counting the pages by touch. "I'll take it into account. I wouldn't expect much without a solid lead. I expect 'Helios' isn't the first name he's born. Some entities are canny things."

Kirk scoffs. He thinks about not lumping him and Cantata together, but thinks better of it. "She knows how to be a thorn in my ass, that's for sure."
    [Reporting In]

"I might not know much about, erm, entities, but don't gods have to keep the same name and identity since... I mean, they kinda exist based on the faith in that name, right?" Dena inquires as Vax flips through the pages, and there are quite a few.

While the majority are just notes there are also newspaper clips, photos and even sketches. Some looking rather gruesome or eerie. How they're connected to Helios she can't really tell without reading through it properly however.

"Wasn't that how you to got to know one another?" Dena asks with a smirk. "But Tina knows how to get under your skin as she's been there many, many times. You've opened up to her like no one else, which is exactly why you don't want her mad at you. You gotta bury the hatchet before she gets really mad. I mean, I don't want to get trapped between your argument."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

[Interview - Reina]

Dipsnig looks up when Reina comes into the room. She... looks familiar to him. Reminds him of Reinholdt for some reason. He did have some clones running about, didn't he? Well, no need to insinuate anything, he'll see if it comes out during the interview.

"Welcome. Please sit down. Our process for admitting members is a bit more involved than issuing licenses, as you can see. First I'd like to know your name and the skills you bring to MERC."

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

[Interview]

Reina nods to Dipsnig before taking a seat. Straight to the boss! Either this interview would be really easy or really hard.

She offers her hand to shake. "My name's Reina."

Hmm. Skills... "I'm good at second story reallocation of resources, reconnaissance, vigilantism, disarmament, and diplomacy." If getting five kids to stop arguing and go to bed on time isn't diplomacy, then nothing is. "As a general summary anyways. Just don't ask me to cook!" Reina laughs, before looking very serious and pleading. "Please."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

[Interview]

Reina. That does make it very likely she's... some kind of Reinholdt clone. But that's really none of his concern as long as it doesn't affect MERC.

"We have a cook on staff, so that shouldn't be an issue," he says, not sure if she was being serious. "Do you have references from previous employers or proof of previously completed jobs?"

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

[Interview]

Reina raises an eyebrow. "You... want proof of my spying, thievery, and superheroics? Sorry, but I kind of made it a point to not leave proof? Except for stealing Magtok's cloning machines. That was a year long job. Does that count?" Otherwise telling him this info feels counterintuitive!

"I've been self-employeed for awhile now too." Her previous employers Calublufiok and Astir aren't actually people Reina imagines Dipsnig would want to talk to. Well. Again anyways.

She spends some time thinking of something more tangible she can present. "Sorry. The vast majority of the evidence I could offer you was sold at auction and I haven't exactly been active since. I've spent the last few years raising kids instead."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

[Interview]

Dipsnig drums his pen against his notepad. He knows Reinholdt's reputation, of course. The two of them are among the oldest Nexus residents. But how does it apply to Reina? Cloning is confusing sometimes, or often. It's also a bit of a flimsy basis, even if he's authorized to do so. Then he gets a better idea.

"The fact that many of our candidates prefer to keep their accomplishments anonymous can be a complication, yes. But I have a way of solving that. There's an investigation in Inside that we need to perform and that should suit your skills well. If the job works out, you'll become a member. I can perform the standard background check on you while you're doing that. Does it sound acceptable?"

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

[Interview]

"What? The hoops, huh?" Reina frowns. Going through some common ritual like a nocat off the street! Bah!

Well... it's not that bad really. She came here to do jobs and this did qualify as one at least. So technically it's killing two birds with one fang. "Yeah, ok. Not a problem. Give me the who, what, when, where and I'll get right on it for you."
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Tale as old as thread
    Reinholdt was the Beast

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

[Interview]

"The investigation is part of a large-scale contract we have," Dipsnig explains. "To gather information about fey. Dena has learned about a dilapidated mansion on the outskirts of Inside that seems to have some fey presence. The job is to find out who they are, what they want and why they're..." He checks his notes. "Sending diplomatic notes to the Intersection. I'll give you Dena's number and inform her you'll be coming."