New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XIX: Toss a Coin to your Goblin

Parcelgeist

Astrana? Leis tilts her head. She wasn't really familiar with her, although she'd heard the name. Another employee, maybe a bit higher up? Either way, it sounds like good enough of a lead."Y-yeah, we probably don't want to delay that long," she agrees before grinning as she gestures for Valerie to lead the way.. "Hopefully we don't need to break in, I don't really know how to lockpick. Not my character class, eh?"
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

2. - Top - End - #92

[Follow Up]

"As I mentioned, miss Tyamera's resume mentions she being trained by them so it's safe to say they're the same type. But yeah, it looks like we're stuck in quite a fine mess." She gestures at the papers Kirk is holding. "But finish up with the report. I'd like to hear what you have to say about 'em."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

[Follow Up]

Kirk leans back and looks back down at the summary Dena's prepped for him. He furrows his eyebrows after a bit, but he doesn't break until he's done reading. He tosses the folder back onto her desk and lets the silence sit for a moment. "It's not exactly a complete account." He comments as he chews on that. "Nothing on Helios, no direct connection to dragons. Those are some large gaps." He complains. "...That said, she supports the... benefits of the deal."

[The Parcelgeist]

"Uh, no, of course not." Valerie chuckles as she leads the way. "I've got quite a bit of access to do my job, so I can get in fine." It's not a long walk before they stop in front of a door. Valerie produces a key and opens it up. The room is a fairly large office, lots of open space in the middle of the room. Otherwise there's a desk on the far end with a few effects on it. Several masks line the walls. There's plenty of room for storage in cabinets and, most importantly, a couple bookshelves. "Hopefully we can find something quickly..."

4. - Top - End - #94

[The Parcelgeist]

”Oh, so you’re like the keymaster of MERC,” Leis remarks as she watches Valerie open Astrana’s office for them. A bit of an old reference, but it fits for the situation.

She blinks as they enter, peering at the rows of masks. She’s never seen decorations like these before. What were they, souvenirs? Magical artifacts? Well, fascinating one way or the other, though probably not something she should be studying at the moment. There’s more dire matters afoot! Matters that call for her to scan those shelves and check those cabinets for any helpful textbooks or codices on summons, ghosts and dispelling either, and trying to be as respectful as possible while doing so.
    “Uh, do you see anything?”
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2021-01-02 at 05:39 AM.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

5. - Top - End - #95

[Follow Up]

"I believe we could fill those gaps with a little bit of research of our own actually." Dena answers, seemingly skipping past Kirk's last remark regarding Vax's support of the benefits. "See, there's one rock left unturned here as there is someone who might be able to fill us in on the dragon aspect of the story. A 'dragon scholar' called Ambrosia Ithil who has been turned up all over the nexus in search for her subject matter. If anyone would know anything about these dragons, it would be her which is why I have tracked her down." A beat. "But I'm wondering if you could speak to her. See, I got a meeting..." A beat. "With Tina. Might take a while."

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

[Follow Up]

Kirk raises an eyebrow, but decides not to press for the moment. "Alright, Ambrosia the dragon scholar. You know anything else about her? Where to find her, for one."

[The Parcelgeist]

"I guess you could say that. I mostly just need to be able to get around the place to do my job." Valerie chuckles. Any reference is totally lost on her, though.

Anyway, Valerie looks around as well. "Honestly I'm not exactly sure where Astrana keeps everything in here." She admits. She knows some things, but usually it's the stuff Astrana has her fetch. It's far from comprehensive. "Let me try this cabinet..."

7. - Top - End - #97

[Follow Up]

Dena wastes no time returning the subject back to the matter at hand. "Of course, otherwise I'd be a waste to tell you about her wouldn't it?" She remarks with a smile. "An informant told me that she's currently staying in a inn in Skyside of all places. She moves around a lot though so I'd hurry up if I were you. I don't think I need to tell you to keep your profile low while you're there though. We both know what happened during your last trip to that city."

8. - Top - End - #98

[The Parcelgeist]

As she opens the cabinet which is where her fiancée is keeping her rods Valerie will spot at least one thing she both know the function of and know could be helpful here. It's a command rod made of some kind of white wood. According to Astrana it could be used to command lesser spirits around, but one had to be careful as if it was used against a more powerful spirit it could just agitate them.

She don't know any more details than that but it's better than the summoning rod next to it at least. The other rods she had never seen used but one of them was in a locked in a glass case separated from the others so that one was probably unwise to use.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Ogre in the Playground

[Follow Up]

"Naturally." Kirk stands up and buttons his jacket. "Send me a description of her while I'm on the way. A picture if you have one. I'll find out what she knows and be back, the trash will be none the wiser." Provided Dena has nothing more to add, Kirk will head out.

[The Parcelgeist]

"Oh, this is something." Valerie says as she spies the wand. It piques her memory as she sees it. She produces the white wand and holds it out for Leis to see. "This wand is supposed to commander spirits. It should be able to take care of some prankster ghost. I guess we'll just force it out of the base?" She frowns uncertainly.
    Last edited by Gullara; 2021-01-05 at 10:59 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100

The Parcelgeist

Leis looks over from another part of the room, a spellbook tilted halfway out of the shelf beneath her hand. Her eyes light up as she spots the rod in Valerie’s hand. ”Oh heck, that sounds like just the thing we need! I think I might’ve found a spell or two I could cast too, but I’m not sure where I’d get one or two of the reagents.” Ant carapace and badger talons aren’t very common finds in an office environment.

After a beat though, a thought occurs to her. “Er, do you know how to use it? I’ve uh, never cast spells with rods before,” she admits.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

11. - Top - End - #101

[Follow Up]

"No pictures I'm afraid but thankfully she stands out according to the description I got so you shouldn't have much trouble. I'll send it right over to you." Dena raises her hand in a still wave while reaching for her phone. "So-long, just message me if you encountered any problems. I'll keep my phone on even during the meeting just in case."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-01-07 at 07:48 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Parcelgeist]

"Well you basically just activate it and pick a target. Then we should be able to command it... I believe." Valerie smiles nervously. She's far from an expert.

13. - Top - End - #103

The Parcelgeist

"You'll just have to show me how it's done," Leis encourages with a smile, moving to follow Valerie out. They may both be as equally novice at this, but that's no excuse not to give her a chance to impress.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Parcelgeist]

Valerie nods and leads the way back to Leis's workspace. She approached cautiously once they near, however. Her sensitive hearing is intent on figuring out what's going on before they even have a visual. There's no use being caught off guard.

15. - Top - End - #105

The Parcelgeist

Things seem to have escalated by the time the two of them return. Valerie's keen ears pick up the sound of ruffling paper and worried chatter, and it'll soon become apparent why; the spirit has spread its influence throughout the full aisle of cubicles, ransacking drawers and pelting anyone in its way with whatever ornaments and objects it can find at hand. The two other employees there, a bookish-looking deer-girl and a curly-haired Vulcan in slacks, take shelter at the entryway as a violent flurry of scattered files, writing utensils and desktop knick-knacks seeks to keep them out.

Leis blinks at the sight, stopping in her tracks. "O-oh dear. That's, uh, not great."
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

16. - Top - End - #106

[Mrs. Fettina goes to MERC]

Tina have been formally invited to MERC by Dena.
    Something she can do whatever she wants of course but this time the circumstances are different. Dena has hinted that she wish to discuss something fairly important with her which is why it has to be done in person.
    Dena is even there to invite her inside the strangely empty common room once she arrives to MERC. "Hey, sorry about making you come all this way. Especially at this time of year." She gestures at one of the reinforced windows, or more specifically at the frightful snowy weather outside. "But perhaps the cold doesn't bother you anyway." She raises her eyebrows. Just how was Tina dressed for this weather?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Halfling in the Playground

[Mrs. Fettina Goes to MERC]

Tina's in jeans, boots, and a fur collar coat that hugs her upper body. The shirt underneath is pretty low cut, the only thing that's strikingly out of place for this weather.

Tina just smiles gamely. "It's no prob, Dena. Yeah, I don't really get cold any more. And flying in the snow is something else," she says. She shakes petals of white from her wings in a cheery cloud.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

18. - Top - End - #108

[Mrs. Fettina Goes To MERC]

Dena's attention of course go to her wings as she shakes the snow off. That was strangely pretty though she still didn't envy Tina due to all the doorways she had to fir through with those wings. No matter how they folded it always seemed as inconvenient as it was to wear hats for her. Damn snakes.

"Really? Cool. I'd almost ask for a ride if I hadn't more pressing matters to talk about. Why don't you join me in my office?" Dena steps aside and makes a faux bow as she gestures for Tina to take the lead. She should know where the gorgon's lair office was by now.

"So, is the angel thing still working out for you? I admit, I never really associated you with angels before." Dena inquires with a small grin as they're walking through the corridor.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-01-09 at 06:15 AM.

19. - Top - End - #109

"I'll give you a ride any time you want it, Dena honey," Fettina says with a wink as they start toward Dena's den. She doesn't seem to mind walking first.

"Is it working out? I mean. I guess it could be going worse. There's a lot about it I don't mind." She shrugs. "And hey, I can be plenty angelic! Why I'm the picture of purity," she puts a hand on her chest as though offended.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

20. - Top - End - #110

"Suppose you got some angelic traits." Dena admits with a glance at her, Tina's gesture making her smile. "And purity is supposed to be one of the things you don't mind about it, eh? Since I've heard otherwise." Both her eyebrows raise as she looks at the angel expectingly as they now stand in front of Dena's office.

21. - Top - End - #111

"Now just what have you heard? This is torture!" Fettina exclaims, pushing the back of her wrist into her head and sighing with a heavy dose of melodrama. She smirks. "No, I guess I don't mind all of it. It's a lot easier to focus without a libido hanging around your neck like a weight, that's for sure."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

22. - Top - End - #112

This time only one of Dena's eyebrows raise. "Now that's something I never expected to hear from you." She opens the door and Tina will see Violet, Dena's drone, hoovering in place just inside the room. It moves aside as the gorgon moves up towards her desk. "I, if you must know, had heard that you hadn't been quite yourself ever since you got your wings and hearing you describe your libido as a loadstone... well, that's telling." Dena sits down behind the desk and gestures for Tina to take a seat as well. A comfy armchair has been set up seemingly for this purpose.
    "But I'm not saying I necessarily agree though. You're not your libido, Tina, and I'm glad that you actually feel a kind of freedom not having it hanging over you like that." She gestures towards her. "I'd be worried if it was completely gone but something tells me it ain't as I think I know you pretty well at this point." Dena tilts her head slightly as if daring Tina to contest this, but then she just continues. "You probably won't hear this from the tabloids but I'm not exactly the most libidinous gal myself so I can relate."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-01-09 at 07:01 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113

"Aw, don't go worrying about me Dena," Fettina points at her. "It's not all gone. I still think you're pretty hot!"

"Heh, last I checked you do a pretty good job keeping yourself out of the 'tabloids'. I don't know most of the details with the great sex life of Dena." She winks as she sinks into the chair. "Except it involves Kirk somewhat, so it can't be all bad."
    Last edited by Murkus; 2021-01-10 at 10:15 AM.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

24. - Top - End - #114

"Can't help it. If I didn't keep checking in on you about the angel-situation, then who would, eh?" Dena chuckles and leans forward with an amused grin. "I mean, I'm the closest thing you have to a canary in the coalmine, dear Tina. Since if you didn't think I was hot one day, you'd know that you're in deep ****."

Then as smooth as she dances, Dena latches on to the Kirk subject just as Tina raises it. "Kirk is of course your other canary, along with your new special gal of course. Not to say I've only involved myself with him as of late. I'm pretty sure you're familiar with a mister al-Zafar the dancing, tailed, bravado? He's quite ambitious in that area in particular. Reminded me of you in fact. I do hope you still hang out despite troubles in that area. We had quite a interesting discussion him and I right in this office."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    The Parcelgeist

Things seem to have escalated by the time the two of them return. Valerie's keen ears pick up the sound of ruffling paper and worried chatter, and it'll soon become apparent why; the spirit has spread its influence throughout the full aisle of cubicles, ransacking drawers and pelting anyone in its way with whatever ornaments and objects it can find at hand. The two other employees there, a bookish-looking deer-girl and a curly-haired Vulcan in slacks, take shelter at the entryway as a violent flurry of scattered files, writing utensils and desktop knick-knacks seeks to keep them out.

Leis blinks at the sight, stopping in her tracks. "O-oh dear. That's, uh, not great."
    [The Parcelgeist]

"Don't worry, we'll handle it." Valerie says, holding up the wand. "So I'm not exactly sure the details of how we'll get rid of it, but we might have to go outside, Make sure you grab your jacket." With that said, Valerie starts stepping forward carefully. She gives Leis a shushing motion, and then continues forward. She first moves to peek around to get a glimpse of the spirit.

26. - Top - End - #116

"Oh, just everyone I know. It's hard not to ask what the deal is with this," She indicates her shiny self. "But it is still nice having you around for that, Dena."

"Fayyaad? Oh gosh, it's been a bit. He rescued me from a bad date and we had a good time. I don't even know if he knows what's happened to me. I'd love to see him again," even if it might be kind of awkward, thinks Tina. "What did you two talk about?" She feels like she's been prompted to ask almost.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

27. - Top - End - #117

Dena shrugs. "Oh you know, work stuff. He had some difficulty dealing with a contract he took involving a family feud and he was asking for some feedback in how he could have done differently." She then leans forward. "But if you haven't told him you seriously need to, Tina. You should use the fact that you've come here to talk to him once we're done here. Speaking of which, so I called you here since I've gotten a... strange offer to deal with this." She gestures at her sunglasses, or more specifically her eyes. "The gaze thingy." The gorgon waves her hand in the direction she's gesturing. "So apparently it can be controlled but it involves..." Dena let's out a sigh. "A ritual involving me getting pregnant. It sounds insane, I know. But apparently it's a thing. Some kind of death to life symbolism? I wouldn't want to keep the child if it happened of course, part of the deal but... it's would still be a big thing y'know? Not to mention it's rather shady. But I think you've figured that out."

28. - Top - End - #118

The Parcelgeist

"Gotcha. Hopefully it hasn't like, torn it apart or something," Leis comments before creeping along with Valerie, the vulcan stepping away and giving the two of them a quizzical look.

It's a little difficult to see through the storm of white and yellow and puce, but what Valerie can get a look at is unsmistakable. A great wisp of a figure hunches over one of the desks, its body a shiny and oily black. Its whole form seems to flow and move in roiling tendrils, flowing from its featureless face, intertwining and overlapping to craft its spindly form. Some of it seems to be seeping into the screen of the computer in front of it, wrapping and sinking into the files within the desktop. It doesn't seem to notice the returning intruders, far more focused on whatever its work happens to be.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Parcelgeist]

Geez, that's creepy as all get out. Well there's no time to waste, is there. While she has the element of surprise, Valerie steps into the open, gestures with the wand, and speaks the command word. "Deathless!"

...Hopefully this works.

30. - Top - End - #120

[Mrs. Fettina Goes to Work]

Fettina blinks a lot. She leans on the desk in front of Dena. "A... ritual? Is this the ritual for making babies that I'm familiar with, or are we talking a real... magic... like, ritual?"

"Wait, I thought you couldn't make kids." Fettina points at her. "So how is this even an option for you?"

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters