New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1354
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XIX: Toss a Coin to your Goblin

[Another Cookie Run]

"You mean you are one of those blood sucking undeads people refere as Vampire?" Fade states. Still confused why she didn't say that in the first place if it's true. It makes this whole 'guess what I am' thing so much easier. He had to deal with Vampires since they seem to attract the darkness. All who bit him died without him doing anything so he doesn't fear them in any way. Anyways.

"I usually train with myself." he says. "It might be a good change to have a different person to spar, but don't you first need medical attention? You leaning on that cane, which I assume is also your weapon, heavily. Usually people need a doctor in that case."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

2. - Top - End - #1172

[Another Cookie Run]

Siana shrugs. "I mean, it sounds a little reductive when you put it like that. I'm not quite what most people think of when they hear 'vampire', but yeah, I guess that's still what they'd call me." She twists her cane in her grip. "And no, I don't need medical attention. It's my leg." She taps the side of her twisted left leg with her cane emphatically. "It's been like that for as long as I can remember. Can't feel it, can't move it, can't really stand on it. Don't worry about me; I've adapted." She smiles and pushes the cart ahead of her. "So I'll meet you in the training room in... ten minutes?"
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

3. - Top - End - #1173

[Another Cookie Run]

"That does sound like you could need a healer." Fade just states. "Especially since magic healing seems limetless, but suit yourself. I'll be waiting there then."

He then turns around and heads off for the training area.

[Training grounds]

When she arrives here she will lily see Fade in his warmup routine. Running around the ground which appears like an arena. At the corners of the Arena are different stations with training devices, dummies and all. Futher in the back is a shooting range.

If she needs more time then he likly will be at his own training. He doesn't wait. Either people come in time or not, not his problem.

4. - Top - End - #1174

[Another Cookie Run -> Training Grounds]

"I *just* got through expl- oh, forget it." Siana crosses her arms over her cane and waves goodbye. She'll prove him wrong in a few minutes.

When Siana arrives at the training grounds a little while later, she's rather visibly brough another wooden practice sword with her, which she holds in one hand while she leans against her cane with the other. She hobbles up to the arena and waits patiently for Fade to invite her in.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

5. - Top - End - #1175

[Training grounds]

She will prove him wron? Wrong with what? That a foot she can't stand on or even feel is normal? Luckyly he didn't know she thinks that. Not that he would care anyway.
    He will end his run even as he notice her befor. That might come as arogant, but he just doesn't see the need to hurry.

As he returns he grabs his wooden sword and stays on the opposit end of the arena waiting for her. He doesn't take a stance he just holds the wooden sword in one hand pointed in front of his feet. This isn't a provokation, but she might see it as he doesn't take her seriouse. In fact this is his seriouse stand.

"Please beginn. I don't know much about your swordstyle."

6. - Top - End - #1176

[Training Grounds]

"Well, yeah. That sort of cuts both ways." Siana replies, crouching into a ready stance. Her left leg sits uselessly behind her, as she is instead supported on that side by the tip of her cane. On the right, she holds the practice blade level with her shoulder, but otherwise in a relaxed position; like Fade, she doesn't seem eager to come out all at once. Instead, she makes an experimental prod at his hip, checking to see how solid his defenses are.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Halfling in the Playground

[Dena's Office]

Tina tilts her head to one side. "Dude sounds pretty uncool. You... want me to ask her to look into it? I mean, you two are her bosses and all, aren't you? Just don't throw her into anything too spicy, okay?" A pause. "Is there some way... I could help? With the more serious stuff?"
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

8. - Top - End - #1178

[Dena's Office]

Dena raises an eyebrow. "I mean, Cantata is actually trained for this sort of stuff, isn't she?" This sounds like a rhetorical question. "Information-gathering I mean. Since I figured I'd take the chance to mention it to you since it's more 'spicy' than her usual jobs but I don't think she's in any actual danger. If Helios actually wants to work with us hurting one of our members seems like the last thing he wants to do. Besides, he looks into us, we look into him. We'd have every right to."

She gestures to Tina. "But what do you mean by 'help'? Like with the information gathering or just in general? Are you looking for payment or just something to do?"

9. - Top - End - #1179

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    [Training Grounds]

"Well, yeah. That sort of cuts both ways." Siana replies, crouching into a ready stance. Her left leg sits uselessly behind her, as she is instead supported on that side by the tip of her cane. On the right, she holds the practice blade level with her shoulder, but otherwise in a relaxed position; like Fade, she doesn't seem eager to come out all at once. Instead, she makes an experimental prod at his hip, checking to see how solid his defenses are.
    [Training Grounds]

Fade s reaction is fast and strong.he steps to the side and swing his training sword at her. He doesn t seem to hold back so there is a lot of strength in it. For now hes just on a very strong human level. He assumes due to her Vampire kind and the fact she doesn t need healing she is strong enougth to deal with that. Otherwise she might just loose the sword due to the force.

Either way he takes a step back then waiting for her next move

10. - Top - End - #1180

[Training Grounds]

Rather predictably, Siana anticipates the attack and moves to deflect, tilting the wooden blade upward to take advantage of their height difference and send the slash over her head. It's a bit more forceful than she was anticipating, and so she ends up rolling with the blow a bit, leaning back on her cane and taking a step away from Fade, eying him carefully.

Okay, so, the takeaway? He's fast, he's strong, and he has a predisposition for footwork. All salient information to have.

Siana steps forward again and cuts a narrow arc toward Fade's side, attempting to goad him into moving directly in front of her.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

11. - Top - End - #1181

[Training Grounds]

(Bad writing leads to false actions)
    This time Fade goes for what he aimed befor. He swings his sword aiming directly at the sword of Siana To block her attack and use his fors to deflect it. Knowing about her deflection he hols the wooden sword in an angle 90° to hers to make it hard for her to deflect it.

Should he manage to push her sword away he immediatly tries to swing back and attack her now open side. Strnage that he doesn't go for the obviouse weak side with the bad leg and cane.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Dena's Office]

Tina tilts her head to one side. "Dude sounds pretty uncool. You... want me to ask her to look into it? I mean, you two are her bosses and all, aren't you? Just don't throw her into anything too spicy, okay?" A pause. "Is there some way... I could help? With the more serious stuff?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Dena's Office]

Dena raises an eyebrow. "I mean, Cantata is actually trained for this sort of stuff, isn't she?" This sounds like a rhetorical question. "Information-gathering I mean. Since I figured I'd take the chance to mention it to you since it's more 'spicy' than her usual jobs but I don't think she's in any actual danger. If Helios actually wants to work with us hurting one of our members seems like the last thing he wants to do. Besides, he looks into us, we look into him. We'd have every right to."

She gestures to Tina. "But what do you mean by 'help'? Like with the information gathering or just in general? Are you looking for payment or just something to do?"
    [Dena's Office]

A deeper frown crosses Kirk's face, and glances at Dena when she carries on with it. "Is that really wise? You're not exactly trained for the kind of work we do."

13. - Top - End - #1183

[Training Grounds]

A direct, forceful attempt at disarming her. Siana can respect the theory behind the technique. She can also respect that, with this force applied with considerable leverage from the length of her sword, and a respectable grip on her end, there's going to be an unintended side effect.

cra-crackle

It doesn't really hurt at first; Siana's fingerbones snapping to such a degree that they poke out from under the skin is really more of a shock than anything particularly painful. But it doesn't take long to set in.

"Son of a [wow Siana you can't say that on public television, no seriously who taught you all of these words, like, come on, stop, there's laws against swearing that much]!" Siana screams. Though to her credit, even as mangled as her hand is, she still hasn't dropped the practice sword. "I thought this was supposed to be a sparring session! What in Absum's name did you go and do that for?!"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

14. - Top - End - #1184

[Training Grounds]

Fade seems less disturbed by her broken fingers. He also seems to not even understand most of her swearing. He has encountered many people who did the same thing befor he killed them, but he never found out why people waste their last breaths for Synonyms if they could tell him some usefull informations.

"I have no idea who Absum is, but since you stated beeing a vampire of some kind I didn't thing you are this fragil. You could have dropped the stick any time." Fade says in his typical emotionless voice. "You better go see the doctor for that. Unless you got some massiv regeneration powers."

He will wait a moment befor going to another corner of the arena to grab another training sword, wide open it seems.

15. - Top - End - #1185

[Training Grounds]

Siana keeps holding her hand to her chest, wincing in pain as the quietly tries to will it to heal faster. The moment it seems like it might be, she looks up to address Fade...

And finds that he's already walked away.

Siana scowls and pulls a napkin from her hoodie's pocket, wrapping it around her injured hand in a crude attempt at a splint. "Hey!" She yells, still furious.

If Fade turns around, he's going to find her holding the practice sword level, ready to go.

"I didn't say we were done." She growls through her teeth.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

16. - Top - End - #1186

[Training Grounds]

Fade does indeed stop as she addresses him, likly befor he can go for the other wooden sword. He doesn't turn around, but he can see her in a fighting stance.

"Yes, i don't think it was hidden in any of those words before." Hard to say, maybe she spoke another language. "But what makes you think we can just go on? I tried to keep myself at a decent level and yet broke you. You seem to regenerate fast enougth, but did you hold back something? If not we might end in the same situation."

17. - Top - End - #1187

[Training Grounds]

"What makes you think I can't go on?" Siana retaliates, as her hand starts stitching itself back together. "Or that I shouldn't? There are a lot of people out there who are bigger, stronger, and faster than me. If I'm going to be at all serious about sword-fighting- even just to defend myself, never mind my original intention of doing it professionally- then I'm going to have to learn how to deal with it. And the only way to do that is through experience. Isn't that what training's for?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

18. - Top - End - #1188

[Dena's Office]

"Just in general, I guess. If there's something you think I could do..." Fettina shrugs. She glances at Kirk. "I don't have to be breaking into places or doing anything serious. I mean, unless you want me to. But I survived for years on my own by robbing suckers like you, and I'm overall a little more useful than that by now. I can kick ass! And I'm bulletproof, baby! Mostly, anyway, I think..."

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

19. - Top - End - #1189

[Dena's Office]

Suckers like Kirk, huh? Dena still remembered that. Boy, was that a long time ago.
    "Let me ask you a different question then, Tina. What do you want to do? Since we're not exactly lacking in tasks around here but as you are seemingly volunteering to entertain yourself then give me an idea of what might give you that sort of thrill."

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Ogre in the Playground

[Dena's Office]

Kirk holds his protests for the moment, leaning back in his chair again. He'll let Dena's line of questioning play out at least. His frown remains quite notable, though.

21. - Top - End - #1191

Quote Originally Posted by Ironsmith View Post
    [Training Grounds]

"What makes you think I can't go on?" Siana retaliates, as her hand starts stitching itself back together. "Or that I shouldn't? There are a lot of people out there who are bigger, stronger, and faster than me. If I'm going to be at all serious about sword-fighting- even just to defend myself, never mind my original intention of doing it professionally- then I'm going to have to learn how to deal with it. And the only way to do that is through experience. Isn't that what training's for?"
    [Training Grounds]

Fade turns around at this time, but doesn't seem to be ready to fight. Not that his stance befor showed that either.
    "I, Me, I... The world doesn't turn aaround you. The reason why I think it's over is because I don't wanna deal with the consequences when you break again."
    Not that anyone in this base is really able to boss him around, but he accepted Dipsnig. He doesn't even care for the Senior Officers oppinions on that matter thought they are close to Dipsnig.
    "Listen vampire, I come from a place where every fight is about live and death. So i had to pick my fights carefully. I'm not good with emotions, but you let anger and pride get over yourself right now. Train with enemies on your level and slowly rise up. Otherwise it will only need one bad move and you get slashed in half."

22. - Top - End - #1192

[Training Grounds]

Siana goes silent for a moment, her face flushed in rage. Judging by her expression, Fade's words hurt her even more than his blade did. Not only because he'd pointed out a sort of betrayal of her values, but because he was right; anger and pride were her driving motivations here. And continuing to train with him could still be dangerous, even for her.

Her expression soften as she sits on the ground, crossing her crippled leg over her good one. Fade didn't think she was ready, that she was in control of herself. If he's going to be convinced otherwise, she needs to approach the situation from a place of calmness and humility.

"...I'm sorry. You're right, my pride did get the better of me." She begins, head bowed. "Since I've gotten here, I've heard doubt from everyone about my ability to fight. Maybe it's because I'm young. Maybe it's because I have a bad leg. Maybe it's something else I don't understand. When I was hired, I was immediately told to go to the kitchen and stay there. As the daughter of a Lord, who ascended for his courage... it hurt. It feels.. it feels like everyone thinks I'm weak. That I can't be a fighter, no matter how much I try. And I won't lie to you, sir... I want to prove them wrong. I want that badly, I'm desperately hungry for it... but I think we both know that doesn't necessarily mean I should have it."

She lays both her cane and her practice sword over her lap as she continues. "...Even so, please, please reconsider. MERC recieves new jobs every day. There are people out there who need our help, and I... I may be able to help them, after being helped myself. If you won't train me for my sake, train me for theirs. So that there's one more person ready to answer when someone calls for help. So that there can be another person as strong as you, when you aren't around."

Siana quietly holds her breath as she waits for Fade's reply, mentally bracing herself to accept either answer as final.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

23. - Top - End - #1193

[Training Grounds]

Fade doesn't seem to be touched by any of her words or action. His expression remains unreadable thanks to the scarf and his eyes just look at her. Man this guy has a real Pokerface, if he would knew the rules of poker.

"I have no idea what you past has to do her or can i help you with your emotional problems." he says. "You have to find someone else to teach you in that matter. Maybe after that you can come here again."

He steps away to gather another training sword as he intended befor, but turns to her as he has it in hand.

"MERC get's jobs every day, but barly any need strength. This facility isn't a guild for adventures to slay monster all time. We have work that requires other skills. Even the art of cooking can be usefull in the right situation."

He makes a pause. Was he dramatic? Nah he just pointed the obviouse.

"You cna go now. I suggest you fix that foot first. Magic in this world is rather handy if you can find the right person."

24. - Top - End - #1194

[Training Grounds]

Siana's head remains bowed throughout Fade's lecture, which is just as well, as it keeps him from seeing the increasingly frustrated and disturbed expression on her face. When he finally finishes, she gives one more little nod and stands. "...Yes, sir. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, sir." She turns and makes her way back to the door, shaking slightly but trying to keep it together until she's out.

cruch goes the doorknob in her hand.

slam goes the door behind her.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

25. - Top - End - #1195

[Training Grounds]

Don't be able to see? Maybe, but Fade has eyes were you don't think theey are. Still not a matter of now. Should she bother to take a look back at him while leaving through the door she may see him throwing the second sword in her direction, but it never touches the ground as Fade's shadow just emerges and pickes it up. Soon after the sound of clashing swors can be heared and just from the sound it is as intense as he fought her before.

26. - Top - End - #1196

[Dena's Office]

"Well, no, it's... it's not about that. Sure I'm bored sometimes, and sure I find what you do interesting... but I'm not here just to goof off. I'm just offering my help. If there's not anything you think I'd be good for, that's okay..." Though it does sound like some pouting might be in their future if that's the case.

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

27. - Top - End - #1197

[Dena's Office]

Not quite the answer Dena wanted judging by the look on her face. "Okay, let me put it this way then." She pauses to straighten herself up to look Tina in the eyes, which of course ends with her looking down but what can you do?

"Would you be willing to make the commitment to officially join MERC then, Tina? Since I can't just give away jobs to non-members like that. There's all sort of paperwork to consider too which I can't just ignore because you're about to get pouty."

28. - Top - End - #1198

[Dena's Office]

Tina looks at Dena very seriously. Or as seriously as someone like her can anyways.

"Well... well I dunno, Dena. I'm not really great with commitment, you know," she laughs awkwardly. "I haven't held down a real job in... in..." Gods, how long had it been? She was in her thirties now and still just goofing off all the time. What did that say about her?

Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

Nexus Characters

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Ogre in the Playground

[Dena's Office]

"You really don't have to." Kirk remarks. "If you're board I'm sure there's plenty of ways we can think of to fill the time." He suggests. Surely he can help with that if that's the real issue here.

30. - Top - End - #1200

[Dena's Office]

Dena's eyebrows raise. "Tina, I'm not sure if you missed this but you're getting married. I know it's just a scheme to get into one another's pants due to the angel thing, but it's still hell of a commitment. Where I'm from you're supposed to make trinkets for one another which you literary infuse parts of yourself into. Again, I know it's not on that level but just something for you to consider."

She shrugs. "No judgement from me either way but you were the one that asked so I'm telling you how it is."