New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: MERC XIX: Toss a Coin to your Goblin

Arrivals

A newcomer approaches, striding through the snow and not caring about the chill weather, even though they appear to be clad in heavy metal armour. It looks at first to be somebody wearing either a heavy diving suit or thick platemail of verdigris-dusted bronze, however the glowing purple light behind the helmet's visor and the ease with which it moves suggest otherwise, easily striding through the snow no matter how deep it is. As they approach, it becomes even more obviously artificial, the limbs articulated beams of brass and granite, reinforced and plated where possible with the thick bronze plates and moved by the workings of tiny cogs made of silver, brass, and gold, feet articulated sabaton with no seperate toes and hands ending in four stubby fingers. A leather belt slung about the figure's waist holds a short, heavy cutlass with a brass blade and a large turquoise set into the pommel and a pair of fine duelling flintlock duelling pistols, with ebony handles and steel barrels.

When he reaches the door, he knocks and enters. "Ahoy! I be Frigate, an' I be wishin' to apply to join."
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

[Arrivals]

Valerie perks up from behind her desk when the door opens. "Oh, hello, I can help you." She gestures for the new person to come over. She gives them a curious look. A surprising person, that's for sure, but it rolls off her. "Are you looking to join Merc proper or apply for a license?"

3. - Top - End - #213
    Orc in the Playground

Arrivals

The artificial pirate would look for a chair, but it'd have to be a pretty strong chair to bear his weight. "I wish t' be a full member, not just a licence. I walked from Davy Jones' Locker t' sign up, an' this be a ship that won't sink, leavin' me lookin' fer new employment." He's walked from Davy Jones' Locker several times now. It's what happens when you can neither swim nor breathe yet insist on being a sailor.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

[Arrivals]

Valerie pauses to process that for a moment. "Um, that's right. Merc has been in business for a long time now, and we don't show and signs of quitting!" She smiles. "Let me get you started with some basic paperwork. I'll have to see if someone can meet you to do an initial interview." As she speaks, Valerie pulls out some forms and pushes them over along with a pen. It's just a bunch of basic information. Nothing out of the ordinary. "What's your name, by the way? I'm Valerie."

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

Arrivals

"I be Frigate, after th' class o' vessel 'pon which I served first. Not too imaginative a name, but it be mine." Frigate takes the paperwork and leans over onto the table, trying to be careful and not put too much weight through it. He is solidly built, of metal and stone. His fingers, though quite stubby and not looking particularly dextrous, prove agile enough to cope with the pen and write his basic history down.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

[Arrivals]

While Frigate fills out the paperwork Valerie turns to her computer and checks something then she makes a call with her back turned. By the time the paperwork is done, she's given her attention back to the prospective new member. "Good news, we can fit you in for an interview right now. Mr. Locke will see you in his office." She gets out from behind her desk. "Let me show you where that is."

Assuming there's no issue with that, Valerie leads the way into the base and in a moment they're standing outside an open door. "Good luck." Valerie gives Frigate a small wave and leaves him to it.

Inside the office the drow lieutenant of Merc sits waiting. "Frigate is it? Have a seat." He gestures to the empty chair across his desk.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Arrivals

"Aye, I be Frigate. Pleased t' meet ye." Frigate looks at the chair and gently lowers himself into it. The hydraulics that adjust its height hiss as his weight forces it down, then there's a crunch as Frigate leans back. One of the wheel-legs has bent, and the back is broken. Frigate stands up and looks at it, bending slightly as his neck doesn't adjust down very far. "Ah, sorry. I think I'd better stand." He's quite happy standing, since he doesn't work like fleshy people and doesn't have to worry about getting tired.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

[Arrivals]

That gives Kirk pause, and he takes a closer look at Frigate. "So where do you come from?" He asks, as though nothing had ever happened.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

Arrivals

"Recently? Davie Jones' Locker. Originally, the Iceni Archipelago o' th' world Birent. I be a sailor an' marine, sometime pirate. Th' battle-smith who forged me made were a ship's mage, an' he wanted me as a bodyguard. Stayed aboard an' joined the crew after he died, an' th' sea's been me mistress ever since. A fickle mistress. Five vessels I've served in twelve years. Two wrecked in storms, one run aground, one eaten by kraken, an' one may still sail. I got knocked o'erboard by pirates, an' I don't float." He hasn't been able to find her since, and is unlikely to now.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

[Arrivals]

"So now you're looking for new work. You don't quit, I'll give you that." Kirk chuckles good naturedly. "There's not much chance you'll find yourself on the open sea working for Merc. That bother you any?"

11. - Top - End - #221
    Orc in the Playground

Arrivals

"She's in me heart, such as it be, an' I've seen enough o' the seabed fer a while. It do bother me, but I knew ye had no ships when I first began th' voyage. I'll miss her, but she'll keep." And who knows? Maybe there'll be a job that needs a trip to the seaside, or recovering a shipwreck. Frigate would be pretty good at the latter, as it happens. So long as he doesn't get lost down there.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

[Arrivals]

"Fair enough." The drow shrugs. As long as he understands. "So what kind of skills can you bring to the table. You said you were a bodyguard, so I expect you can fight. Anything else we should know about?"

13. - Top - End - #223
    Bugbear in the Playground

Astrana’s Office

There’s a knock at the door, followed shortly by Leis should it be answered with a small bag under her arm. ”Uh, hello.”
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

14. - Top - End - #224

Astrana’s Office

"Come on in." A voice calls out, inviting her inside.

Once she opens the door, the first things that greets her is the soft sound of the ventelation working overtime in this underground office.
    The second would be the colorful welcome mat by the door and the third would be the other tiefling standing by that welcome mat.

It seems like she just got up and is standing a short distance away from the door with one hand on her hip and one hand held out in a offer of an handshake. "Leis, right? Val mentioned you."

15. - Top - End - #225

Astrana's Office

"Um, yep, that's me!" The younger tiefling answers with cheer and only a tiny bit of nervousness as she reaches out to shake Astrana's hand, taking the chance to get a look at her coworker now that she's finally met her.

"I'm sure you know I borrowed a few things from you the other day, and I just wanted to swing by and return what I didn't use up before it slipped my mind." Leis tugs on the loop of the bag on her shoulder to show what she means. It looks fairly empty, but the components she grabbed were fairly small and each barely a handful at most.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

16. - Top - End - #226

Astrana's Office

Astrana nods and firmly shakes Leis hand. "That's quite alright. I appriciate you returning it to me so quickly, not that I was in a desperate need of it." Once they let go, the warlock gestures at drawer near the door. "You can just place it there and I'll take care of it."

17. - Top - End - #227

Astrana's Office

The handshake is a bit more warm and cordial on Leis's part, though she tones it down to better match Astrana. "Well, I've always heard it helps to be punctual if you want to make a good impression," she comments, taking a few steps over to the desk and sliding open the drawer.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

18. - Top - End - #228

Astrana's Office

"Good advice, you should listen to whoever said it." Astrana comments, though holds out her hand as to stop Leis when she is about to open the drawer. "Just put it on top of it. It's not supposed to be in there anyway." She clarifies. "But you are practicing ritual magic then considering you knew how to use those? Few actually know the practical applications of the reagents."

19. - Top - End - #229

Astrana's Office

Leis is confused for the split second it takes for it to dawn on her that Astrana meant the surface of the desk above it, not the drawer itself. She places the bag where she originally intended with a nod. "A little bit, it's really more of like a hobby than anything at the moment. Reading up on things when it's slow, fitting in a little practice when I can outside of work, y'know?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Orc in the Playground

Arrivals

"Aye, I be sturdy an' good wi' me cutlass. I also be a good shot wi' me pistols, an' muskets. I know how t' load, aim an' fire a cannon. Don't own one, though. Nor a musket." He's not too familiar with post-wheellock firearms like revolvers, however, though he's familiar with rifling. "I can maintain 'em, too. I don't need to breathe, nor eat, an' I can repair most damage I sustain. Some can be tricky. Me creator wanted me to know how t' look after meself. I can assist in the buildin' o' ships, don't know enough to design one an' start the process but I can help build 'em. I've assisted in careening, an' other maintenance o' a ship. Not the rigging, though. Ne'er tried th' crows' nest- doubt th' riggin'd support me. I can navigate by th' stars, use a sextant an' read a map. Don't help much once I'm knocked o'er board, though."

21. - Top - End - #231

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Astrana's Office

Leis is confused for the split second it takes for it to dawn on her that Astrana meant the surface of the desk above it, not the drawer itself. She places the bag where she originally intended with a nod. "A little bit, it's really more of like a hobby than anything at the moment. Reading up on things when it's slow, fitting in a little practice when I can outside of work, y'know?"
    Astrana's Office

"Regardless of how you got it or how skilled you are, it's a useful skill to have. In fact, it might be of use to me. If you ever don't have anything to do and wish to learn a bit more about this hobby of yours you could always come by and have a look around. Most of the time I'm just sitting around waiting for customers anyway." Well, that wasn't really true but there were always lazy days and this had been a particularly lazy week so far.

22. - Top - End - #232

Astrana's Office

The irises of Leis's eyes light up in surprise. She didn't expect Astrana to be so forward or interested in teaching her - far from it in fact, from how businesslike and professional she seemed to carry herself. The type of person who's generally too focused on her work to entertain the additional commitment of tutelage, although it might be too lofty a word for an arrangement like this.

"That'd be an honor, I'd love to do that! Maybe I can even lend a hand with things that you're working on." The accountant does a fairly good job at not letting too much excitement spill out over this. It might be a while 'til she's good enough for the latter, but she's still plenty happy to offer it.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

23. - Top - End - #233

Astrana's Office

"You think you can take enough time off your own work to do that?" Astrana inquires, her eyebrow raised. "I mean, I wouldn't ask you for anything too complicated but... well, perhaps you could try to give me a sense of what you do know? I know for a fact you have some experience with dealing with spirits for one."

24. - Top - End - #234

Astrana's Office

"I can't say I'd be like, available all day or anything, but I'm fairly quick at my work. Worst case scenario, I guess you could always talk to my supervisor if you really need my help for something big?" Leis assumes that whatever Astrana would want her help with would be at the service of MERC or one of its clients, so it'd be more comparable to wanting to borrow someone for a project rather than skipping a shift.

"But uh, I don't actually have much practical experience with spirits at all honestly. I'm mostly just learning ritual magics and incantations, with a bit of component-based evocation sprinkled in - summoning isn't a thing I've looked into. Though I've uh, done research on maintaining wards and countering possessions." It was more of a practical task than an earnest study there; her latest apartment had a few persistent rumors about eldritch wisps and other minor spirits, so it only seemed prudent for safety's sake.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

25. - Top - End - #235

Astrana's Office

Astrana smiles and crosses her arms over her chest. "You realize that I have to ask why you're researching those specific things, right? Since I didn't realize possession was a common occurance in office work. Is it something more... personal? In that case you won't have to share the details of course."

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Arrivals

"Aye, I be sturdy an' good wi' me cutlass. I also be a good shot wi' me pistols, an' muskets. I know how t' load, aim an' fire a cannon. Don't own one, though. Nor a musket." He's not too familiar with post-wheellock firearms like revolvers, however, though he's familiar with rifling. "I can maintain 'em, too. I don't need to breathe, nor eat, an' I can repair most damage I sustain. Some can be tricky. Me creator wanted me to know how t' look after meself. I can assist in the buildin' o' ships, don't know enough to design one an' start the process but I can help build 'em. I've assisted in careening, an' other maintenance o' a ship. Not the rigging, though. Ne'er tried th' crows' nest- doubt th' riggin'd support me. I can navigate by th' stars, use a sextant an' read a map. Don't help much once I'm knocked o'er board, though."
    [Arrivals]

The drow nods. "Good enough I'd say. At the very least some muscle is always valuable, and I expect you can provide. Merc can supply some funds for getting equipment you need, so picking up a gun is something we can arrange." Kirk turns to his computer and types in a few things. "I'd say you meet the basic requirements well enough. When we take on someone new you start out in a provisionary window. We assess performance and keep an eye out for incompatibility in the meantime. We'll also be doing some background checking; nothing you should need to worry about unless you're not being honest with us. There's not much difference from your perspective, though. You don't get access to some more sensitive info and some jobs might not be available to you at first, but we don't try to hold you there long."

27. - Top - End - #237

Astrana's Office

Leis blinks. "Oh uh, no, nothing too personal. More just uh, the apartment building I had to settle for has a bunch of rumors about hauntings, so it seemed like a good idea?" She feels a little bit self-conscious about it now that she's saying it out loud. I mean yeah, it's not like the supernatural is *that* supernatural when you live in the Nexus, but it's not like she did it because she personally saw a spooky spirit walk through her bedroom wall or anything.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

28. - Top - End - #238

[Office of the Kirk]

After quite a few hours after Kirk left her office, Kirk gets a call from Dena. "Kirk, could you come to my office? Your dragon-scholar is here and she wants to exchange a few words with you. Your input has suddenly become relevant."

[Astrana's Office]

"Rumors of the supernatural? Yeah, it's pretty hard to miss lately, isn't it? Inside seems positively abuzz with spritual activity considering all the fey around. Val even mentioned that spirit you guys banished had some kind of mysterious agenda." Astrana pauses a moment. "Did you know that while fey sometimes are used synonymous with spirits, they're actually quite different? Obviously, in the nexus there are all kinds of spirits and all kinds of fey so it might seem obvious to you, but I don't know what kind of training you've had until this point so I'd like to make sure." She waits for some kind of acknowledgment from Leis before continuing.

"That said, spirits often end up serving fey so I can't help but wonder if this is somehow connected to the fey investigation MERC has been hired to do." Astrana taps her chin. "You said you had experience making wards, right?"

29. - Top - End - #239

Astrana's Office

"A little bit; I know there's a different sort of origin and basis behind them than say, the paranormal," Leis answers, "but I haven't read up on fey in general - " She pauses for a second, realizing that she needs to correct something. "Er, training isn't something I've had, actually. I'm all self-taught til now. But I have made wards before, yes."
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2021-02-27 at 12:32 AM.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

30. - Top - End - #240
    Orc in the Playground

Arrivals

"Lookin' into me background? Was hung for piracy once. Rope snapped, an' it didn't do much t'me anyhow. Don't breathe, nor have a spine t' snap. That won't be an issue, will it? Cap'n had a letter o' marque, but it didn't survive the wreck. Nor did she." Most people hung for piracy are expected to not survive the process. Frigate, however, was far more durable than they were expecting. Warforged are relatively rare, and were a recent development on his homeworld.