New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default The Glory that Was Greece -Ancient World 3.5 (IC)

Late Spring 404 bc.

City of Argos

30 years of war are over and the flowering of spring may mean more than just a revival from winter but also a more general recovery.

Argos itself has been little touched by the war; mostly remaining neutral but on a couple occasions fighting Sparta and coming off worst. The inhabitants are going about their business and pay you little mind - apart from a few giving any obvious Spartans hostile glares if they think you aren't looking.

Spoiler: K Local 5 / K Religion 5
    Show

Argos has a very famous temple to Hera; whose annual High Priestess is considered to name the year

Spoiler: K Local 10 / K History 5
    Show

Argos and Sparta have fought any battles over the years - you are surprised Sparta has never forced Argos to join the Peloponnesian League

Spoiler: K History 10
    Show
    Apparently you can go see what is left of great Agamemnon's Mycenae around here

Spoiler: K History 15
    Show
    Sparta keeps Argos around as training ground for her young men and as an inferior but not impotent potential enemy to keep the rest of the Peloponnese in line
    Last edited by wilphe; 2020-10-14 at 02:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The Glory that Was Greece -Ancient World 3.5 (IC)

Alkimos Vasilis and Kleandridas have arranged to meet at the house of Arisitichus the Proxenos* of Sparta at Argos.

Mihail Aegea and Peridokles are all coincidentally headed to the Temple of Hera for their own reasons

Spoiler: Reasons
    Show
    "I got a hunch/guidance"; "there's a scholar there I want to talk to" or whatever else you like

Spoiler: Proxenos
    Show
    Ambassadors exist of course but they are not permanently resident abroad. They travel on specific missions.

Instead a local citizen of the city looks after the interests of and advocates for their foreign patron and will accommodate their ambassadors if they send any.

The modern equivalent would be an honorary consul.

Visitors from their patron city in good standing can ask them for assistance and hospitality but shouldn't stay with them for more than a night or two
    Last edited by wilphe; 2020-10-14 at 02:57 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Aegea spends much of the morning chatting up merchants who seem bound for Sparta. She offers her services as a translator with the elves, and guarantor of safe passage within their territory. ”Otherwise, who knows what would happen? Seen many a wagon just lying decrepit on the side of the road in my travels, the whole thing pocked with arrows. And then you have to deal with an angry Spartan demanding his shipment of wheat that he paid for, and it all becomes such a hassle. I don’t even charge that much!”
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Aegea gets no takers; but not any hostility either

If its an obol or two you be hustling for I'm sure the fishmongers'll club together to have you chill the catch.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spot Check please...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Alkimos stretched his arms again, pacing to the far end of the portico outside Arisitichus's house. His left shoulder gave off the crackle he'd come to expect from a lifetime of hauling his cheese-platter of a shield on that arm.

Where exactly are those two? he thought. A good hour he'd been here sunning himself at the Proxenos's doorstep, waiting on Vasilis and Kleandridas. That damned elf can take all the time he wants. I was a beardless boy the day they cloaked me in scarlet and he looked no different to how he does now. But there was no doubting the wood elf's skill; not many men could shift effortlessly from phalanx fighting in the Spartan line to dancing around the edges of a battle, hitting and running. And that boy Vasilis might be younger than both of us, but he should know better to keep time for appointments!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Kleandridas

The elf stalked through the streets, red cloak flapping in the breeze, spear slanted against his shoulder and the massive round shield casually slung on his back. His nose wrinkled slightly at the smells, always, human towns smelled so pungent, and this one worse than back in his home of Sparta. With fluid grace he weaved between the Argosians on the streets until he saw the House of Arisitichus.

Approaching cautiously, he paused, a think smile on his face as he removed the tall plumed helm and nodded a greeting to Alkimos resting in shade. "Well Met brave Alkimos. How fare you this day. Is the Proxenos within?" He rubs a hand against his sweat streaked forehead, "A warm day. I hope there are refreshments within. It was a long road."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"It must've been a long road indeed given the hour of our agreed meeting was, in fact, an hour ago," said Alkimos with a grin. "Argos air must make Arges* sleep sounder. Or did you manage to find an elven lass last night to spar with, and was the battle a taxing one? But to answer your question, I've not gone in to see if the Proxenos is there yet. I had thought to wait for you and Vasilis. Did you see him?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    *Arges is the Greek word for Cyclops. Kleandridas only has one eye. Cyclops or Arges is Alkimos's nickname for Kleandridas, and Alkimos is trying to make a pun, and perhaps miserably failing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Aegea notices that a pair of Human guards whose shields bear the running wolf of Argos have appeared and are taking a keen but distant interest in her. They aren't approaching but neither are they trying to hide themselves and their interest in her.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Vasilis

walking out of the house and down towards where Alkimos & Kleandridas are waiting. Well good day to you both are we missing anyone still?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Mihail, most often standing head and shoulders taller than most around him, walks slowly and steadily toward his destination. For all his size, he doesn't try to push his way through people, though many naturally open a path. Perhaps at the temple of Hera, he will find out why he is here.

He is well armed, and appears to carry enough equipment and kit to outfit an entire squad, though his weapons are large enough that most would have difficulty wielding them.

As he walks, he is happy to introduce himself to the companions he has found going to the same destination. His voice is deep, sounding like the rumbling of rocks in a canyon grinding together.

I am Mihail; recently a soldier fighting on the side of Athens. I am glad to see people here are mostly untouched by the war. I hope that Greece can make a recovery before its enemies decide that infighting shows vulnerability.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Kleandridas

The one-eye elf smirks slightly at the poor joke from Alkimos. "Dust and sand, dust and sand nothing more" He pauses, "I am Spartan now, my own kind are mere Listis in the forests. Seeking to trouble those who are better." He looks like is about to say more when Vasillis slowly approaches.

Nodding to the third red cloaked spartan he approaches the entrance way, seeking a servant, when he finds one he nods his head, his one eye staring menacingly. "Go and find your Master. He has visitors."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Aegea gives a glance their way, making brief but very intentional eye contact, before turning her attention back to merchants... Ooh, or not. The goliath seemed more interesting the the woman than the stingy merchants. Keeping the guards in the corner of her gaze, the woman jogs after the Goliath... Athenian?

”Don’t plan on it, big guy,” the half dragon says with a bit of a laugh. “Give it a few years, the cities will be at each other’s throats again.”

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Peridokles peered out from under his soft broad-brimmed hat, concerned at the sudden lack of sunshine. But no, it wasn't a sudden cloud or a passing eagle that cast a shadow over him, but two travelers. On one side a woman a good half foot taller than he, and impressively muscled, with a cascade of chestnut hair.

An elf? he thought. Aren't they supposed to be short? And with fewer horns? She was describing the dangers of travelling without her services, which rather reminded him of the story he'd heard in Sicily, of the man who was so worried about running into wolves that he acquired a pet lion.

On the other side loomed an even larger figure, with dappled skin the manner of the highland barbarians, but carrying a perfectly civilised panoply of breastplate, helm, sword and shield.

Stepping between them, as he had, was rather like suddenly entering a gorge.

Somewhat belatedly, he realised he'd been asked a question.

I'm Peridokles. Lately of Corinth. I was in one of the recent wars - maybe even in the same army? But I doubt we knew the same people. I was a clerk, looking after supplies. I'm afraid I'm not much of a warrior. I trade in perfumes.

He craned his neck up at each of his mountainous flankers, trying to gauge their possible worth as customers.

As for the rest. He waved his bundle of hazel wands for emphasis. Argos and the League fight a lot, but it never seems to come to a conclusion. One day Argos will be asked to join the League, and then they'll move on to some other burning political issue. In the meantime, life goes on.

14. - Top - End - #14

Well met, Peridokles. As you know, an army runs on its stomach. We who fought on the front lines understand that better than most. So allow me to express my gratitude at your assistance.

As for planning on it? No. But one can hope. I must admit, I've never seen a woman with wings before. May I know your name?

Presuming that she offers her name to him... He speaks quietly, so that his voice won't carry. It sounds like the rumbling of a huge beehive.

Are the elves here so savage that protection is needed against them, or are you just trying to earn some coin for little work?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"Aegea of Taygetus. Sellsword," she says, offering her hand. Both men can see that her hands end in some rather wicked looking claws, though the gesture seems friendly enough. She seems to move right past the topic of her wings though. "Oh, most of us are friendly enough. But humans get nervous around fae, and if that prejudice can be used to pocket some extra gold from our gracious neighbors, I don't see a reason to turn down the chance. Their fears are assuaged, my pocket is filled, and everyone parts happier for the experience." Her demeanor seems to shift suddenly. "And sometimes humans do something that draws our wrath, and my services do become necessary."

Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Fair enough, and well met.
    Mihail will take the offered hand and clasp it. His eyebrows raise when he realizes that she's strong enough that he doesn't need to be gentle.
    Last edited by Aracor; 2020-10-15 at 09:41 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Philistion of Locri

Outside of the Temple of Hera, another elf is settled on the steps, displaying the sign of a healer.

A lanky and smooth-faced youth smiles at the crowd. He makes eye contact with another young man and nods. When the young man sits and shows a large rash on his leg, the elf nods, pulls out an small green twig and a yellow flower, dropped them into a small mortar and crushes them together. There is a quiet banter between the two, and then the elf carefully applies the crushed plants to the young man's leg, following up quickly with a strip of cloth.

There is a quiet exchange of coins, and the young man levers back to his feet, completing his climb up to the entrance to the temple.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Alkimos, Vasilis and Kleandridas:

Kleandridas runs into a female human who bears some traces of elven ancestry in the courtyard with the dress and apparent bearing of a slave.

"O..of course my lord. Th..the Master is conducting some business in the agora but he should return soon. Please come in and await his return. W..would you like some refreshment?"

Spoiler: Sense Motive 10
    Show
    She appears quite scared and is failing to not show it

Spoiler: Sense Motive 25
    Show
    She isn't scared but is pretending to be - possibly because having gruff Spartan strangers show up is quite a common thing here but she has learned that they get really upset if you don't act like you are visibly afraid of them.

The courtyard of his house is shaded with a large tree you don't quite recognize in the center and the usual altar and a few seats.

The slave woman takes one of the fruit and returns a few minutes later with some beakers of drink.

Spoiler: Spot 10
    Show
    This would be a place where the lady and daughters of the house would spin or sew and the like but there is no sign of any such activity or presence

At that moment a vigorous looking man in his early 50s, accompanied by a large halforc carrying several bundles of provisions enters the courtyard.

Hah! Visitors! Welcome to the House of Arisitichus strangers. I hope Breetha is looking after you

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Aegea, Mihail, Philistion, Peridokles

You draw a certain degree of attention on your way through the crowds or at least Mihail does and to a lesser extent Aegea too. This is mostly glances and people getting out of your way - though Aegea notices the two guards watching her seem to have disappeared.

The Temple itself is well kept, but nowhere near as magnificent as the Sanctuary 10 miles out of town is reputed to be. However that's an all day trip and for day to day worship this is more convenient. Inside there are only a few people:

A young girl of apparent high status attended by two slaves making an offering of a cake at the altar.

An older unaccompanied woman quietly praying at one of the statues

A young woman in a yellow headscarf sitting by the entrance observing those who go in and out - she is accompanied by a young boy who upon seeing you enter she nods at sending him running past you out into the street

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Alkimos frowned, turning to Kleandridas and Vasilis as the slave departed to fetch refreshments and left them alone for a moment. "Is Arisitichus known to have a cruel slavemaster? That woman seemed to be afraid of something, or my eyes deceive me."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Kleandridas

The elf nods curtly to the slave, eye narrowing at the hint of 'weak' blood in the slave. "Refreshments. Yes, the road was long and dusty." Focused on looking around the courtyard he doesn't really see her fear, so accustomed to people being intimidated by a trio of Spartans.

He nods to Alkimos, "We are a formidable site. Mayhap she has not seen real men such as us in this city of artists and mewling cowards."

At the entrance of the master he offers a tilt of the head to show respect, "Greetings fair Arisitichus. We are come from Sparta on swift feet blessed by Hermes."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Peridokles mumbles something appreciative of the giant's thanks, but he's noticing that the pair are drawing rather more notoriety that he's comfortable with. He gives a careful step back, rather than forwards, and falls behind as the two seem to start talking to each other.

Literally beneath notice, eh Peri?

He watches them for a moment as they continue, wondering if they will notice his absence when they next glance down. Probably. And while it was impossible not to see some promise of romance in the two of them meeting, he suspected they might not be similar at all. Height alone was no foundation on which to build understanding, or else Peridokles should be a wiser man.

And married. He wondered briefly if any of the woman he had courted had dismissed him as too tall. Would height alone grant a tendency to think about things from a certain angle. Asthetics, at least, depended at least partially on a point of view, could a literally higher viewpoint change one's appreciation of architecture, of statuary, ideals of taste?

He trailed a few paces behind the other two, not so much lost in thought as vacationing within it.

What of statues distorted so as to appear normal when viewed from below? Could that be an example of distorting perspective in order to makes things appear as they really are. If one forced through the change of geometry to that altered perspective, forced-changed the proportions of the world so as to create the distortion of perceptual space, then could...

No! Bad Peri! No biscuit! He smiled to himself ruefully. Bad habits of thought do not a coin purse fill. Time enough for that... later.

He advances past the other two, and bows from the waist once in sight, an Egyptian habit.

Fascinating to meet you both. I will be setting up shop, but please do not let my activity drive you away. You may even find some of my wares of interest?

Unlikely, he thought, but it was always hard to tell. And they both had money, which was usually the hardest requirement to fulfill.

He gives the healer a companionable nod, and sets up opposite her, on the other side of the entrance to the temple. A quick and practiced swish sees his clean rich red cloth in place, stretched over the dusty stones of the low temple wall. He sets out his box, with it's enticing vials of bronze and glass, the carved lids and stoppers issuing exotic hints as to what lay within. With a business-like motion he anoints one end of a hazel wand with smoked glass bottle, and then flicks the end through air, leaving a trail of scent of cinnamon and bitter orange, that hangs in the still morning air.
    Last edited by Togo; 2020-10-18 at 07:54 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Mihail will position himself at the entrance, and look down at the young woman with the yellow headscarf. He'll smile kindly, and ask

Have I attracted your attention in some way, young lady? I couldn't help but notice your little errand boy running off as soon as you saw me.

As he doesn't yet know why he has come here, he tries to pay attention to anything that may be out of place. And for a final bonus, this will also put him in a commanding position to see both inside the temple and around for else who may be paying attention to him.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Philistion nods back to Peridokles, and watches with open interest as he sets up. Phil leans in, inhaling deeply, and his brow furrows.

"Fascinating! Ah..."

She licks her lips, trying to gauge the best way to approach the conversation.

"I've seen cinnamon used in infusions to excite the yellow bile. And, of course, orange to stir the phlegm. But I'm not familiar with any treatments that combine the two. Is the intent of your combination, ah, recreational?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Peridokles tips back his hat.

Recreational? Oh, the perfume. I'm afraid so. I.. have studied Alcmaion's humours of course, although only second hand, in Alexandria. But I've yet to see an effective treatment that could simply be waved around a place to heal the sick. No this substance is just for joy.

Although one has to wonder, of course, whether the two are connected? Could joy make one well, as well as feel well? Surely one can be driven ill with pain, so why not well with happiness? Or are we mistaking the symptom for the disease, and thus the alleviation with the cure? And yet joy is more, far more, than the mere absence of pain, as demonstrated by those Persian practices of deriving one from the other...

He coughs

Just as pain and pleasure are separate, so too do sickness or wellness have their differences? Yes, clearly the latter two are separate, as one can heal from an infusion of well being in a distinct fashion from strengthening the body. So, then, posit four types of substances, materia, side by side in two classes, the pleasure and pain, and the wellness and sickness. But do the first two supervene upon the last two? As someone is driven sick with pain, could they be driven well with joy? It makes sense, if not perhaps the most efficient method, but then that implies one could literally bottle...

He stops, looking up as if surprised to find Philistion still there.

Ah, I have a tendency to ramble. Forgive me? I fear I am but a competent bone-setter, and little more. I confess I found the high ritual of the more complicated practices a little intimidating. Wash the patient. Wash the practioner. Wash anyone who stands too close to either. Boil the instruments, silver of course, to call down the serenity of the moon, and wrap them in linen itself boiled. Ensure a favourable celestial alignment. As if, in order to treat the living, one must first ensure the ritual itself is dead. Then again, considering who I was taught by...

He shakes his head, and makes an effort to smile. A dazzling effort, but practiced, compared to his previous expression of naive wonder.

I am Peridokles. A perfumer by trade, but I dabble in matters philosophical. Healing and the like. He hesitates. I actually brought my kit along, if you're interested. Maybe you'd care to venture an opinion on what might be missing?
    Last edited by Togo; 2020-10-19 at 06:24 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Agoros slowly makes his way to the temple of Hera. The sun is shining hard, and the soldier is glad his helmet is shielding his face. His gaze cannot help but settle on two hulking figures that seem to move towards the temple too, before him.
    Glad I didn't have to fight against them during the war.

At the temple's foot, he finds two people actively discussing about the properties of perfumes and such products. One of them seems to be a healer of some sort. Agoros waits for a lull in their exchange before apostrophing the healer.

Good day to you sir. Can you do anything for a suntroke? I got one while walking under this sun all the way up to here".

Last edited by remetagross; 2020-10-19 at 07:47 AM.
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

As Peridokles starts to speak, Philistion leans into the conversation so hard that the faint whiff of garlic from the elf's breath is detectible. As is the young healer's excitement.

"Master Peridokles, it is a great pleasure to meet you, and to speak with you on such matters. I myself have been studying the healing technques. I would absolutely concur that the careful washing of both practiitioner and subject reduces the spontaneous generation of maggots and other creations of the air immensely, especially when dealing with an open wound of any sort. Silver, I have not experimented with, and it may take some time before my practise is able to afford such finery, but it's certainly something I will look into when empty time and a full purse coincide, as it were.

"As to the completeness of your kit, I have to admit that my own supplies are somewhat depleted. I would be delighted to compare notes another time.

"It is doubly amazing that you speak of the often unexplored, or at least under-appreciated, interplay between the inner and outer state of mankind. Your delicate perfumes, for instance. While they may lack for true medicinal value, they may send a subject's recollections back to a time of health and happiness. Conversely, they may inspire - as to the in-drawing of breath, yes? - inspire a recipient to think of pleasurable and serene moments in their future. In both cases, the body's energies are aligned with healing, ease and pleasure, and the natural regulation of the humours is much more likely to occur. Alcmaeon, although rigorous in his documentation of the body, remained silent on the anatomy of mind, and we are the poorer for it."

The young healer covers their face with embarrassment.

"I apologize. I have for some time longed to have a serious conversation on this topic, but most of my colleagues are focused on cutting, cutting, cutting. Not that the judicious use of bleeding and the setting of bones are not noble medical pursuits. But i can't help but feeling that we have more to discover. Yes?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Peridokles hesitates, as if reluctant to talk. But equally can't help himself.

The inner and the outer state, certainly, certainly. But are they separate? Different? If they are then this poses a dilemma, for are we aware solely of the outer state by any means other than our impressions of the inner? When I see the glint of gold upon Hera's statue there, high on the facade, are my eyes directly touching it's aspect? I see it is shiny, and gold-coloured, and on high. Are these outer impressions, facets of the real world, or are they inner impressions of what I can see in the outer world? If they are outer impressions, then how can my vision be fooled, by perceptions blunted? The outer world is the outer world, surely? This would be possible only if aspects of perception were a substance inherent to the object, like text being clear and metal being bright and polished. And yet this inherent perception of the object must be malleable, or else two men would never see two different things in the same object. All things would be equally bright, or dull, or red, or beauteous or just or fair, no matter who perceived it. It would make a court of law a boring place indeed, as all would see all events as the same, give them the same weighting.

He gives the hazel wand another flick, adding more tangy scent to the air.

And yet if it is malleable, as surely it must be for each to get a different perception from the other, should we not change objects merely by perceiving them? A mystery changes it's characters once it is well know, a secret told to many many becomes less intriguing, and one hardly need recite the terrible swelling of the head and self-grandeur that awaits those who are seen by all to be beautiful. It fits, perhaps, and yet there are curious implications, are there not? Surely one set out to change what one sees by deliberately distorting one's viewpoint. A jar known to be made by a master potter is suddenly a fine jar indeed, is it not? A daughter by a rich man is suddenly a fine prospect, no matter how she have seemed before her family was known. Vegetables hawked by a merchant may seem fine on the stall and yet smaller once they are ready for the pot. Is it because they are seen one way in the market and another on the chopping block before the fire? Heroes and Villains may suffer from similar shrinkage, as may the promises of a clan head or the principles of a city official. Deeds of war, by contrast, seem only to expand in size.

Alternatively, maybe our perceptions are in our heads, and do not partake of the objects we perceive. Why then, what do know of the outer world at all, except what our inner world says of it? To take the metaphor of the cave, we are but blind men seeing shadows on the wall, and only through reason can we escape the cage of our perceptions and the world as it really is. For instance, I may see Hera's staff as gold, and surely she deserves a staff tipped with gold, and yet reason tells me the statue must be bearing mere gilded bronze, or else some athletic youth would have shinned up there one night. So my reasons denies my eyes and I go with reason. And yet, can we really escape our own inner world entirely? And if we did, what terrors might we see? Can we be sure there is an outer world at all, and if so, if it is a singular outer world, or many, each subtly different from the others, shuffled like gaming tiles? And is our outer world shared by all, or only those close to us? Is Olympus a place, or an agreement, a new world world of shared impressions and harmonious agreement, with the titans of the old world locked away. And if so, are the Persians part of it, do they have their own?

He raises his eyebrows.

And is any of this worth considering when you have a customer waiting, who might potentially press a coin upon you for your trouble?

Spoiler: Bonuses
    Show
    Peridokles is a philosopher employing a dialectic technique, based around questions. This can be helpful in reasoning through certain problems. Add +4 (untyped bonus) to any Int check or Int-based skill check when talking with Peridokles.

Spoiler: Sense Motive DC 15
    Show
    Despite his easy manner, you get the impression that Peridokles is troubled by some of these issues, and is perhaps avoiding certain topics

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

"Greetings fair Arisitichus. We are come from Sparta on swift feet blessed by Hermes."

"Welcome to Argos. You would be the valiant Kleandridas? And your friends are?"

Aristarchus turns to the halforc standing impassively with the shopping, "Glythax get this stuff to the kitchen and then make some rooms up for our guests."

He turns back

"If of course you are staying? I regret that since my beloved Calanthe passed away it has been quite empty here and I should be glad of the company. Cleon is in your homeland guesting in the agoge and my eldest Hector is in garrison on the frontier. Berenice I barely see since she spends so much time at the temple."

Spoiler: Sense Motive = 10
    Show
    You may consider this 60% exposition and 40% over-sharing because he does indeed have no family around him.

He's also slightly disapproving of Berenice

"I regret I may have better food than your are used to; my last slave who could cook spartan broth passed a few winters ago and as I was not born on the Eurotas I can't stomach the stuff myself"

"In any case, what business brings to Argos and can I assist you in any way?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Aegea, Agoros, Mihail, Philistion, Peridokles

Have I attracted your attention in some way, young lady? I couldn't help but notice your little errand boy running off as soon as you saw me.

"It would be foolish to deny it, but in truth I am as interested in your companions as much as you specifically."

She follows the conversation between Philistion and Peridokles and smiles

"And I listen as much as I watch"

+++++++++++

The boy she sent running off returns, behind him walks a woman of early middle age and noble bearing wrapped in a peacock green cloak accompanied by a dwarf shielding her with a long handled parasol. Those on the street give her space and get out of the way

Spoiler: K Religion 5
    Show
    The peacock is a bird associated with Hera

The young lady stands as the older one approaches but stays in the shade

These visitors meet the description you gave me milady. Are they the ones?

Thank you Berenice

The older lady stares at each of you intensely in turn for perhaps half a minute each, then nods silently and slowly for perhaps a minute more
    Last edited by wilphe; 2020-10-24 at 11:21 AM.