New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Glory that Was Greece -Ancient World 3.5 (IC)

"Fly... Stretcher Subduer same as flying ladies?" Aegea asks, simplifying her speech to match the ogre's.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

2. - Top - End - #362
    Troll in the Playground

No. Like Umbru-Katu but Red.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Agoros walks alongwith Aegea, paying attention to the discussion. "Cave by god house? Seems to me that's the temple we're heading to. Tell us, what is in that cave? More of your kind? Traps, guards to protect the Stretcher Subduer? We might have to see what's it about there too."
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).
    VC XVI, Burn baby burn:Nero
    VC XVIII, This is Heresy! Torquemada
    VC XX, Elder Evil: Henry Bowyer

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

Stretcher Subduer there with females. No more like Umbru-Katu, Umbru Katu last. he sounds sort of sad, but hard to tell, Stretcher Subduer no let females out no let Umbru-Katu in. My female try to leave Stretcher Subduer. My female hurt bad. he definitely sounds angry but not sure where it lands on the affection-someone stole thing I value spectrum

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

”Hm...” Aegea thinks a bit. Would it be possible for them to assist their charge with this? What would be the consequences? “If this Stretcher Subduer were to be killed, what do you think you would do? Leave us for your female? How would the rest of you respond to the people who killed them?”

Show

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Agoros' mind is set on the incoming encounter with harpies."Hmm. If he remains in his cave to prevent the females from fleeing, then he can't assist the harpies at the temple." He adds a question to Aegea's. "Say, what's the relationship between the Stretcher-Subduer and the bird women? Are they friends, allies, foes? Will he come to help them if they ask him to?"
    VC XV, The horsemen are drawing nearer: The Alien and the Omen (part 1 and part 2).

And a repository of deliciously absurd sentences produced by maddened optimisers in my extended signature

7. - Top - End - #367
    Troll in the Playground

Umbru-Katu serve Dragon Elf Lady. If Stretcher Subduer killed females serve Dragon Elf Lady also.

He seems to struggle to understand Agoros question,

Flying ladies and Stretcher Subduer talk. Flying ladies give Stretcher Subduer food. Stretcher Subduer send Umbru-Katu and tribemates to get food for Flying Ladies. One time Stretcher Subduer tell tribe obey Flying Ladies for few days.

As the conversation happens the group leaves the pass and begins the hike up the trail, the sun is nowhere near its zenith and the shadows it casts are deep and dark in the valley. The terrain is think rocky soil covered in low scrub and bushes and it is hard for more than two to walk abreast for any length of time.

After an hour or so those in front spy the ruined temple over the slight ridge in front of you

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

Aegea smiles a grin that doesn’t hide her sharp teeth. ”Hm. I will do what I can to take lead of your people from Stretcher Subduer. And do not call me Dragon Elf Lady. Call me...” Ooh, she could title herself to Umbru-Katu if she wanted... but no. Titles are earned, and bequeathed by others. If she wrote her own, it would be like creating her own epithet. It was not Ares who claimed the title of ‘he who is feasted by women,’ but those who saw said feasting. “...just Aegea for now. Less of a mouthful, yes?” The power that might come to her people if ogres were able to exist alongside them was too tempting to pass up.

Aegea pauses as they reach the temple. ”From here, where does your tribe reside?”
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2021-04-14 at 10:53 PM.

Show

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ogre in the Playground

"Alright , so we mustn't exclude facing both harpies and Stretcher Subduer at the same time then..."

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

Not far that way Umbru-Katu gestures westwards in front of you past the Temple.

The sanctuary itself is dusty and overgrown, situated in a small shallow hollow about 50 meters below the summit. It doesn't look like it was ever very big, just an altar in the open air and a wooden pergola around it that seems a little worse the wear.

It would be about half a kilometer away at this point, with the approach through the same low scrub you have been walking upwards in. However it's a little bit more open and there a few strands of trees that you could use as cover if you wanted to try creeping up rather than go straight up the path

There is no apparent watch set and the only sign of life is a few hobbled goats snacking on bushes.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

Kleandridas

Kleandridas looks up the scree slope mentally tracing a route before he looks at his comrades. “A foreboding slope and high vantage point. Who will scout ahead with me?”

Whilst waiting for a volunteer he nods to Agoros, “Watch the beast in case it betrays us” then after the warning he begins jogging up the slope, keeping low as he scurries from scrub to scrub, spear ready

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Stealth (1d20+11)[22]
    Spot (1d20+15)[21]

EFfects

Skirmish +2d6/+1 AC

Kleandridas of Sparta
    M N Blooded One - Wood Elf Ranger 2 / Scout 4, Level 6, Init 6, HP 50/50, DR 1/ S/P, Speed
    AC 25, Touch 16, Flat-footed 20, Fort 9, Ref 13, Will 3, Base Attack Bonus 5
    MW Adamantine Longsword +11 (1d8+5, 19-20)
    MW Bludgeoning Shield +11 (1d8+5, x2)
    Reach Longspear +1 (-) +11 (1d8+6, x3)
    Mithral Breastplate , Heavy Shield (MW) (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +5 Dex, +1 Deflect, +2 Natural)
    Abilities Str 21, Dex 21, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 9
    Condition
    --- Trackless Step
    --- Favoured enemy +4 Human/+2 magical beast [Tracking, spotting, damage]

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Aegea scoffs as the Spartan insults her follower. ”He has a name, Spartan. Learn it.

I’ll stay back this time, since I should be the one keeping track of Umbru-Katu. If you’re attacked, make sure to shout loudly so we can have a laugh before coming to rescue you.”
    She pauses. “Unless the proud child of cities is too noble to accept help from us lowly beasts.”

Show

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Philistion

The doctor considers coming with Kleandridos, but steps back, realizing that his talents did not include stealth.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

14. - Top - End - #374
    Bugbear in the Playground

Peridokles, would you mind going with Kleandridas? If you need to fall back, I'll gladly stand as a bulwark. Unfortunately, my size and bulk keep me from being particularly sneaky.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Peridokles looks a little surprised, but bobs his head.

Yes, of course, if the great warrior will undertake to protect me? Maybe he can give me some tips on remaining unseen?

He's carefully ties down his satchel and draws his dusty cloak around himself before following Kleandridas. The staff he was carrying earlier seems to have gone.

Spoiler: Sneaking
    Show

Hide (1d20+17)[37]
    Spot [/roll]1d20+4/[/roll]

16. - Top - End - #376
    Troll in the Playground

Rigalia gestures at the smaller of the two gnolls, who gives a grin and bundles over to Kleandridas and Peridokles. Show me what you learned in the Krypteia Spartan.

The other drops to rearguard out of view of the Temple with the Hobgoblins.
    Last edited by wilphe; 2021-04-18 at 06:11 PM.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

Agoros, being the almost blind and deaf warrior he is, remains where he stands and tries his best to remain alert.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Kleandridas and Peridokles
    Show

Kleandridas darts from cover to cover up the hill side, the gnoll moving in his footsteps behind each dash and Peridokles behind. Without incident the three of you arrive at a small clump of trees about 150m from the ruins. There appears to be a spring of some kind here, albeit not a big or well flowing one and stagnant with algae, but there appears to be enough water here to support plenty of vegetation as the trees are cloaked with thorny brambles and untamed wild vines.

As you watch a cloaked figure appears in the ruins and seems to be collecting twigs and wood at the alter perhaps for a burnt offering

Show
    Spot, Listen and K/Nature please

Everyone else:

Rigalia and her hobgoblins are waiting in well-disciplined silence with no apparent sign of restlessness or fidgeting - you can see why they were assigned this task.

There is some sort of movement in the ruins, but it doesn't look like a Harpy.

It is otherwise really quiet without even any wind to rustle the leaves and a low baa of one of the goats cuts through the near silence

Show
    Spot please

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

Show

You watch as the cloaked figure continues to gather its fuel, it's odd that the vines around you are moving like that when there is so little wind.

Wait.

Whatever malign intelligence - if any - is directing the vegetation seems to realise you've noticed something odd about it and there is a loud rustling of leaves, tendrils and soil as the surronding vegetation whips out towards and around you

Show
    No suprise round because you made the spot checks, but need initative, action and two reflex saves please

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

Everyone else:

You do notice some non-plantlike movement from the plants where the three scouts have gone.

You feel briefly a bit colder the sun gets interupted by a shadow - at least you hope that's why you get colder

As you react to this you hear a warning hiss from Rigalia, Don't move

21. - Top - End - #381
    Titan in the Playground

Kleandridas

Kleandridas grumbles, "Spawn of hades" as he then looks at the plants writhing towards him. "Flee, move," he barks at his fellow scout. "Get back, warn the others" he orders as he lunges with his spear at the mass of plants

Show

Initiative (1d20+6)[15]
    Reflex saves (1d20+13)[25] and (1d20+13)[21]
    Stab the plants (PA2) (1d8+9)[17] dam (1d8+10)[11]

EFfects

Skirmish +2d6/+1 AC

Kleandridas of Sparta
    M N Blooded One - Wood Elf Ranger 2 / Scout 4, Level 6, Init 6, HP 50/50, DR 1/ S/P, Speed
    AC 25, Touch 16, Flat-footed 20, Fort 9, Ref 13, Will 3, Base Attack Bonus 5
    MW Adamantine Longsword +11 (1d8+5, 19-20)
    MW Bludgeoning Shield +11 (1d8+5, x2)
    Reach Longspear +1 (-) +11 (1d8+6, x3)
    Mithral Breastplate , Heavy Shield (MW) (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +5 Dex, +1 Deflect, +2 Natural)
    Abilities Str 21, Dex 21, Con 16, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 9
    Condition
    --- Trackless Step
    --- Favoured enemy +4 Human/+2 magical beast [Tracking, spotting, damage]

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Aegea freezes. ”What is- and he’s attacking,” the elf sighs. ”I thought you Spartans were good at following orders.”
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2021-05-05 at 05:56 PM.

Show

23. - Top - End - #383

Mihail freezes, followed by cursing as he sees Kleandridas strike.

What are we facing here, Rigalia?

Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    I'm presuming that plants can be covered by Knowledge: Nature.
    Knowledge: Nature roll (1d20+13)[27]

I'll also assume that the rest of us need to roll initiative since we can see a little bit of what's happening.
    Initiative: (1d20+1)[4]

I'll wait to do more until after I have a better idea of what's going on since the Knowledge check is reflexive.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler: Not Kleandridas and Peridokles
    Show

Don't move. Stay quiet.

In the air, not seen us yet

Two harpies, one carrying a limp body its claws are high up between you and the scouts, facing away from you apparently having flown over you without noticing

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

Show

Kleandridas deftly avoids the worst of the entangling vegetation, however it gets a good grasp on your gnoll companion and tendrils lash out at each of you, missing Kleandridas but hitting the scholar across the face and trying to wrap around his neck

Show
    (1d20)[5] +12 v Periodokles
    (1d8)[3] +9

(1d20)[11] +12 v Kleandridas
    (1d8)[8] +9

Gnoll is entangled once
    Kleandridas is at half speed
    Periodokles is at half speed if he beats two DC13 reflex saves, otherwise entangled and is facing a grapple check

Last edited by wilphe; 2021-05-05 at 08:49 PM.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ogre in the Playground

Agoro freezes too, trusting the eyes and ears of his comrades. "How are our scouts doing?" he whispers to Rigalia.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Philistion resists the urge to snatch his bow up and train an arrow on the passing harpies, but he holds as still as his tight chest allows.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

28. - Top - End - #388
    Troll in the Playground

Show

Kleandridas strikes into the soft stem of one of the vines, it shudders but seems not overly troubled even if the wound begins to leak a bluish sap.

Peridokles is grasped firmly by the vines that begin to wrap around him even as the apparently less deliberate vegetation wraps around his feet.

Your companion makes no attempt to escape the grasp of the foliage instead attacking the vines that have grasped Peridokles giving a blow that would be more telling if it wasn't at a plant

Show

(1d8)[8] +9 Constrict Damage on Peridokles

Gnoll
    (1d20)[20] +8
    (1d6)[1] +4

Last edited by wilphe; 2021-05-09 at 06:46 PM.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

Everyone else:

"How are our scouts doing?"

What are we facing here, Rigalia?

Not well and I don't know. You want to attack or wait for them to come down further?

Spoiler: Mihail
    Show
    You are a way off, but it looks like what has been called the Manslayer Vine, sometimes seen around Temples of Dionysius and occasionally employed against those who have seriously upset him when "drive them insane and/or have them torn apart by frenzied cultists" hasn't worked or isn't appropriate

You just don't think they got that big

Show
    Advanced Assassin Vine

You are all about 250 yards from Kleandridas and Peridokles, the two harpies are moving slowly away from you towards them about 500 feet up and 100 yards in front of you (Range 580 feet)

30. - Top - End - #390

Our scouts are under attack by giant Manslayer vines! Ignore the harpies for now, but I think we need to beat feet to help our friends!

Mihail will put action to his words, and take off toward Kleandridas and Peridokles.

Spoiler: Out of Character
    Show
    Spoiler: Spellcraft DC 16
    Show
    Speak a word to cast Swift Expeditious Retreat

Then he'll run toward Kleandridas and Peridokles.

With 50 foot speed, he should be able to close to 50 feet away.